Official Xbox 720 anticipation thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 48 Old 09-22-2009, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hey there! We're here to talk about the much rumored new xbox system due sometime in 2012, hopefully before the world ends later that year.
Many have speculated that it will not be a system at all; rather beamed directly through computer wires like cable tv or directly into your brain using sophisticated laser beams and focused energy waves. Before you roast me and call me insane, please view these top secret pictues obtained from a friend of the rumored brain transmitting receivers:

supposedly developers are working on ways to keep your head from exploding when a microwave is turned on while you are gaming.

The graphics are said to be far more sophisticated than current gen can begin to offer. Skin will look like skin and animals should appear as they do in real life.
A new halo game, a new gears game, and a new call of duty are likely to be announced sometime in 2011. Stay tuned to this thread for more information.
That's all we can speculate on for now. Please share any info you may have as soon as you can. Here's some concept shots

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 09-22-2009, 07:44 PM

I just hope it's as strong as the current PS3 and doesn't red ring.
post #3 of 48 Old 09-22-2009, 09:04 PM

All I am interested in is minimum 1080p graphics standard, steady framerate, greater user customization, i.e. Upgradable HDD. Built-in wifi so people will stop complaining and add web browser capability. Afterall, you can't expect it to be the center of my living room entertainment if it doesn't include such simple features.
post #4 of 48 Old 09-23-2009, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedubbadoo View Post

All I am interested in is minimum 1080p graphics standard, steady framerate, greater user customization, i.e. Upgradable HDD. Built-in wifi so people will stop complaining and add web browser capability. Afterall, you can't expect it to be the center of my living room entertainment if it doesn't include such simple features.

the ability to upgrade the hdd would be nice, but I doubt they ever add a browser though

XBL: Badd Omen
post #5 of 48 Old 09-23-2009, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

I declare Shenanigans on this thread!

I've got some stuff.
post #6 of 48 Old 09-23-2009, 05:10 AM

Wow. A thread anticipating technology 3 years out. We couldn't even really nail down Jasper and that was miles closer to reality from a tech perspective.
post #7 of 48 Old 09-23-2009, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Why does the xbox head say Wii on it?
I also declare Shenanigans
post #8 of 48 Old 09-23-2009, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedubbadoo View Post

Doesn't the PS3 include many of these things and yet the Xbox is winning this gen round?

I would rather they focus on bringing more to the gaming experience than worrying about having the box be the center of my living room. Hell, my Xbox isn't even in my living room...

Salminella Now Better with Kinect: 360 PSN

Official member and mascot of the AVS' Xbox 360 Elite Club of Awesomeness
post #9 of 48 Old 09-23-2009, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Natal

XBOX 360 - KrazeeEyezKeith

PS4 - KrazeeKeith

post #10 of 48 Old 09-23-2009, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalksInDarkness View Post

I declare Shenanigans on this thread!

This is a whiskey> thread....his tag line should be all shenanigans all the time

Gamertag: crud monkey
post #11 of 48 Old 09-23-2009, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike LS View Post

This is a whiskey> thread....his tag line should be all shenanigans all the time

I've come to learn that. Although the "Whale" game thread was pure genius!

I've got some stuff.
post #12 of 48 Old 09-23-2009, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I would be happy with a small update to the GPU that would enable AA on all titles- perhaps a die shrink, higher clock, and add a few more shaders.

NE Ohio HT Nutt
post #13 of 48 Old 09-23-2009, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Despite it being a Whisky thread, I will put in my 2 cents.

Gaming is probably what I use my 360 for the least, in all honesty. I use the streaming capabilities and PlayOn, and I typically turn it on, watch some Hulu, maybe watch a movie (with Netflix), watch something else on Hulu or one of the other content providers, then maybe play a game for an hour or so. My PS3 and XBOX have equal streaming capabilities (for my particular uses) but tend to use my XBOX more simply because it turns on with my remote (so I don't have to get up...I'm lazy) and I can use the Netlix, PlayOn, stream from my PC, etc without having to switch components. I'm practically on the verge of cancelling DirecTV actually since I can get pretty much everything either OTA or from a legal source on the internet and watch it back through my XBOX on the TV (like Netflix or Hulu or Youtube or a multitude of other providers)

As such, it really does strive to be the "center" of my living room, but it's missing some stuff. So here's what I would like:
  1. Blu-Ray drive (I game on my PS3 a little, but really only have it because of the Blu-Ray. If my XBOX had it, then I would get rid of the PS3 and have one less box in my HT.
  2. Something that fits in my rack and doesn't look like a Playschool toy. The top pic in the thread has a design that looks like a DVD player. Make that black and I'll take it.
  3. I'm pretty sure it's a safe bet there will be no "ring" on the next one, as they probably want to move past the RROD jokes. That said, I'm sure this issue will be addressed and lots will go into making sure it's more reliable out of the gate this time around.
  4. Quiet. Again, I am sure a lot of work will go into making this quiet to avoid the "jet plane" comparisions next go round.
  5. Ability to upgrade hard drive or use our own drives. Enough of the proprietary crap. Let me go buy my $150 2TB drive (probably $50 by the time the XBOX720 comes out) and let me use that.
  6. NATAL: Pretty sure the second gen of NATAL will be in the next XBOX, with most/all the bugs worked from the first gen that's coming.
  7. Make it work with both IR and RF/BT. RF/BT universal remotes are getting more prevalent, but the PS3 really jumped the gun by not giving an IR option without some crappy third party workaround solution that I use, but despise.
  8. Keep the controller the same, with the exception of improving the D-Pad. The current controller, ergonomics-wise is great and comfy. I see no reason to change it unless they want to add something like an improved six-axis-like functionality to it.
  9. Built in wireless. Won't matter to me since I'm all wired, but can see the appeal.
  10. I want to see more streaming/network integration with Windows 7 Media Center, the Zune, Netflix, maybe get Hulu on board (natively, I mean), Pandora, etc. And of course more codec support.

I guess that's about it. I'm actually pretty happy with the current XBOX, both game-wise, XBL-wise, and streaming-wise, but of course there is some things that are missing or room for improvement.
post #14 of 48 Old 09-23-2009, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
There's no way the name will be Xbox720. I'm guessing Xbox1080 minimum, but more likely will be some weird pseudo-trendy term instead of the number. Something like "Xbox Natal", but I doubt it'll be exactly that.
post #15 of 48 Old 09-23-2009, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Flatus View Post

There's no way the name will be Xbox720. I'm guessing Xbox1080 minimum, but more likely will be some weird pseudo-trendy term instead of the number. Something like "Xbox Natal", but I doubt it'll be exactly that.

I think your right, can't see it being 720.

I would also like to see MS make the case more living room friendly. Like it was said above, not having it look like some idiotic toy.These things are the center of many living rooms now, so for the love of god, make a sensible case that is black and looks and works fine in our av units.
post #16 of 48 Old 09-23-2009, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post

I think your right, can't see it being 720.

I would also like to see MS make the case more living room friendly. Like it was said above, not having it look like some idiotic toy.These things are the center of many living rooms now, so for the love of god, make a sensible case that is black and looks and works fine in our av units.

I predict something like this:

XBOX 1080
The 'X' is for 'X-treme'

They might just name it something different to get away from the "XBOX" name that's associated with videogames and market it more as a Central Hub. Like the "XHUB 1080"....ok that's a stupid name. I'm sure most people outside of gamers and some HT enthusiasts don't even realize what these machines are actually capable of doing outside of videogames nowadays, and they're more and more HTPC-like.

What I mean is, you say "XBOX" or "Playstation" some (most) people will immediately dismiss you as an immature videogamer even though these machines do so much more than that, and even if I "out-grow" videogames, I'll still buy the next one because of the other capabilities.
post #17 of 48 Old 09-23-2009, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
targeted date is 12/22/2012, the day after the world ends

as always poor timing by Microsoft
post #18 of 48 Old 09-23-2009, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

^ lol
post #19 of 48 Old 09-23-2009, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post

Uhhhhh....this might be AVS Blasphemy, but the white-n-chrome goes perfectly with the silver of my SXRD XBR1 and my silver yamaha amp and my silver DVD player and my silver DVR. I don't have a rack, just the XBR1 glass-n-silver matching stand. And my silver-n-black Athenas.

And I like the way silver looks, much better than black components!
post #20 of 48 Old 09-23-2009, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
I think it should be called Xbox Prime and Halo 5 should be bundled in Microsoft if u want these ideas I would like to be hired as a product manager to work on Xbox Prime please send me a PM if u r interested thx.
post #21 of 48 Old 09-23-2009, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Flatus View Post

Uhhhhh....this might be AVS Blasphemy, but the white-n-chrome goes perfectly with the silver of my SXRD XBR1 and my silver yamaha amp and my silver DVD player and my silver DVR. I don't have a rack, just the XBR1 glass-n-silver matching stand. And my silver-n-black Athenas.

And I like the way silver looks, much better than black components!

I can see that, but color aside, do you like how it looks? I think it looks cheap and like a toy. I like my electronics like my women. Boxy and boring. Oh wait...

The point is if it was at least designed with racks/shelves/stacking in mind, I'd like it better than that "pseudo-modern-art" approach console makers take.

I guess as a 36 year old, I want my stuff to look "professional" and "grown up" (for lack of better terms) and not like toys.
post #22 of 48 Old 09-23-2009, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

I can see that, but color aside, do you like how it looks? I think it looks cheap and like a toy. I like my electronics like my women. Boxy and boring. Oh wait...

The point is if it was at least designed with racks/shelves/stacking in mind, I'd like it better than that "pseudo-modern-art" approach console makers take.

I guess as a 36 year old, I want my stuff to look "professional" and "grown up" (for lack of better terms) and not like toys.

They can make it out of tinker toys for all I care, just make the damn thing (I said damn whiskey) last longer than 12 months...

Salminella Now Better with Kinect: 360 PSN

Official member and mascot of the AVS' Xbox 360 Elite Club of Awesomeness
post #23 of 48 Old 09-23-2009, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Xbox Infinity. It'll even make you a sandwich.

Gamer Tag: Todd Stevens
post #24 of 48 Old 09-23-2009, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hot, black, and bitter? Oh, wait....that's howI like my coffee and my women...

I think it looks fine. I don't ever look at my setup and lament any toy-ish looks on the shelves. Seriously, it looks okay to me. I have no problems with the design.

The Xbox1 though....now that was fugly.
post #25 of 48 Old 09-23-2009, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
I too often wonder why consoles end up with these weird designs. I can see why early on, they were for kids and you had to accomodate the cartridge slot. It'd be cool if a mag interviewed some console designers and what not to see just how they decide on a design.
post #26 of 48 Old 09-23-2009, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
[quote=Lord Flatus;17233384]
Quote:

I can see that, but color aside, do you like how it looks? I think it looks cheap and like a toy. I like my electronics like my women. Boxy and boring. Oh wait.../QUOTE]

Hot, black, and bitter? Oh, wait....that's howI like my coffee and my women...

I think it looks fine. I don't ever look at my setup and lament any toy-ish looks on the shelves. Seriously, it looks okay to me. I have no problems with the design.

The Xbox1 though....now that was fugly.

I like my women like I like my coffee

ground up and in the freezer

Xbox360 / PS3 / Failed HDM Supporter
I have no idea what you are referring to
Gamertag: antwon412
(A/V)Ignorance is Bliss -------- sweet, cheap bliss
post #27 of 48 Old 09-23-2009, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

post #28 of 48 Old 09-23-2009, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
no neural implant no care

Xbox360 / PS3 / Failed HDM Supporter
I have no idea what you are referring to
Gamertag: antwon412
(A/V)Ignorance is Bliss -------- sweet, cheap bliss
post #29 of 48 Old 09-23-2009, 06:44 PM

Bad photoshop job is bad.

Format Neutral
post #30 of 48 Old 09-23-2009, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

If they were smart, they'd have two versions, the plastic (console looking) one for the general public and an aluminum faced, rack mountable (= more expensive) version for the home theater crowd or people who simply prefer that look.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page