Despite it being a Whisky thread, I will put in my 2 cents.
Gaming is probably what I use my 360 for the least, in all honesty. I use the streaming capabilities and PlayOn, and I typically turn it on, watch some Hulu, maybe watch a movie (with Netflix), watch something else on Hulu or one of the other content providers, then maybe play a game for an hour or so. My PS3 and XBOX have equal streaming capabilities (for my particular uses) but tend to use my XBOX more simply because it turns on with my remote (so I don't have to get up...I'm lazy) and I can use the Netlix, PlayOn, stream from my PC, etc without having to switch components. I'm practically on the verge of cancelling DirecTV actually since I can get pretty much everything either OTA or from a legal source on the internet and watch it back through my XBOX on the TV (like Netflix or Hulu or Youtube or a multitude of other providers)
As such, it really does strive to be the "center" of my living room, but it's missing some stuff. So here's what I would like:
- Blu-Ray drive (I game on my PS3 a little, but really only have it because of the Blu-Ray. If my XBOX had it, then I would get rid of the PS3 and have one less box in my HT.
- Something that fits in my rack and doesn't look like a Playschool toy. The top pic in the thread has a design that looks like a DVD player. Make that black and I'll take it.
- I'm pretty sure it's a safe bet there will be no "ring" on the next one, as they probably want to move past the RROD jokes. That said, I'm sure this issue will be addressed and lots will go into making sure it's more reliable out of the gate this time around.
- Quiet. Again, I am sure a lot of work will go into making this quiet to avoid the "jet plane" comparisions next go round.
- Ability to upgrade hard drive or use our own drives. Enough of the proprietary crap. Let me go buy my $150 2TB drive (probably $50 by the time the XBOX720 comes out) and let me use that.
- NATAL: Pretty sure the second gen of NATAL will be in the next XBOX, with most/all the bugs worked from the first gen that's coming.
- Make it work with both IR and RF/BT. RF/BT universal remotes are getting more prevalent, but the PS3 really jumped the gun by not giving an IR option without some crappy third party workaround solution that I use, but despise.
- Keep the controller the same, with the exception of improving the D-Pad. The current controller, ergonomics-wise is great and comfy. I see no reason to change it unless they want to add something like an improved six-axis-like functionality to it.
- Built in wireless. Won't matter to me since I'm all wired, but can see the appeal.
- I want to see more streaming/network integration with Windows 7 Media Center, the Zune, Netflix, maybe get Hulu on board (natively, I mean), Pandora, etc. And of course more codec support.
I guess that's about it. I'm actually pretty happy with the current XBOX, both game-wise, XBL-wise, and streaming-wise, but of course there is some things that are missing or room for improvement.