HDMI question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-10-2009, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am thinking of getting an XBOX Elite, and had a quick question. If I hook the Xbox up to my Denon 2310 receiver via HDMI, and hook my Denon receiver to my Samsung LCD via HDMI, do I have to get the Optical adapter also, or will the HDMI carry the video and audio to the Denon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2009, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
HDMI cables carry both audio and video. DVI cables carry only video (which isn't a concern in your situation).
Old 11-10-2009, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Oh yeah- while you may already know this, the newer Elites no longer come with an HDMI cable in the box. So, you'll need to purchase one separately (unless you buy an older Elite).
Old 11-11-2009, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter

So if I want to hook up an XBOX with HDMI, I don't need to buy one of the specific XBOX HDMI cables? Any HDMI cable should work?
Old 11-11-2009, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I'm pretty sure you need to buy the XBOX cable.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 94
If you don't need optical out, then any HDMI cable will do. There is no such thing as an Xbox-specific HDMI cable.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
monoprice.com is your friend...

XBL GT: DMBFiredancer
Old 11-11-2009, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Would there be any need to use the optical portion if the HDMI cable is running from an XBOX to my Denon receiver? Would I get better sound by using the optical portion?
Old 11-11-2009, 08:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 250
HDMI carries all the stuff if your Denon receiver supports HDMI audio. There is no need for optical audio connection which is identical to HDMI audio. Besides, the new Elite no longer comes with the special (slim) optical audio dongle. So you can't connect an optical cable even if you wanted to without spent $$ to buy a Microsoft HDMI kit (which comes with the cable as well as the special dongle) or mod an existing dongle in order to fit underneath the HDMI port.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

I do the dongle because I have lip sync issues from my receiver.

You actually get the same quality sound with a toslink/optical cable that you do with HDMI, just less of it. HDMI can carry 8 channels of discrete audio data (7.1), optical/toslink can only carry 6 (5.1). It's all just 0's and 1's being sent across the wire either way, but HDMI can do more.

With the Xbox this isn't an issue because games are not assembled with 7.1 audio and chances are the system wouldn't support it if they did exist.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:04 AM

Liked: 93
Goros - Please stop trying to help in this thread. You are only doing a pretty good job of lying to this poor man.

jkspinks - Do yourself a huge favor and ignore Goros.

Your receiver does audio over HDMI. This means you can use any HDMI cable (monoprice.com!), and get audio+video to your receiver. Then the receiver will pass the video out to your display. The audio quality compared between the 360's HDMI connection and optical is exactly the same. It is the same DD5.1 bitstream coming out of the Xbox, either way.

Yes, HDMI is capable of different audio types than optical/coax supports, but none of those are used on the 360.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

Goros - Please stop trying to help in this thread. You are only doing a pretty good job of lying to this poor man.

jkspinks - Do yourself a huge favor and ignore Goros.

Your receiver does audio over HDMI. This means you can use any HDMI cable (monoprice.com!), and get audio+video to your receiver. Then the receiver will pass the video out to your display. The audio quality compared between the 360's HDMI connection and optical is exactly the same. It is the same DD5.1 bitstream coming out of the Xbox, either way.

Yes, HDMI is capable of different audio types than optical/coax supports, but none of those are used on the 360.

Wow, you are a douchebag. Nothing you said disagrees in any way with what I said. All I did was offer other information above and beyond what he was looking for.

Yes, the receiver does audio over HDMI, and in the case of the 360 it's identical. I use the dongle because I have a 35ms delay from my BD player to my TV through MY receiver, and wanted to avoid the chance of delay with the Xbox.

I even use monoprice cables. Go figure.