Xbox 360 to lcd monitor with no speakers and no audio out - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 11-15-2009, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So heres my setup. I have a 23 inch 1080p lcd monitor with hdmi, dvi, and vga outs. I want to run my xbox 360 elite in the highest quality i can. I have a reciever and speakers that i use for audio. Right now I am running a xbox 360 to vga to the monitor and using optical audio out to the receiver. The only problem is this is standard definition. I would run hdmi but the monitor would only give me video since it has no audio out. I would run the hdmi with an audio out to the recievers but an hdmi wont fit in the back of the console with the other cord that would give the audio. I am stuck and would like to know if anyone has any advice on what i should do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-15-2009, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
"Right now I am running a xbox 360 to vga to the monitor and using optical audio out to the receiver. The only problem is this is standard definition."

why is it standard definition? set the resolution to 1920x1080 and you're done.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #3 of 14 Old 11-15-2009, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Really? I thought that vga was only set to standard def. Good to know...thanks. I have my 360 set to 1920x1080 and have it connected through vga, but it doesnt look hd to me at all.
post #4 of 14 Old 11-15-2009, 10:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The question is can his monitor accept 1080p via VGA. If it doesn't just set the 360 to output an HD resolution that the monitor can accept from a VGA connection.
post #5 of 14 Old 11-15-2009, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogbuehi View Post

The question is can his monitor accept 1080p via VGA. If it doesn't just set the 360 to output an HD resolution that the monitor can accept from a VGA connection.

How would i know if my monitor could accept a 1080p connection via vga? I know it runs 1080p because i have used hdmi for just video to see what it looks like (better than what i am seeing now)

Also if it cant what HD resolution should i try? I tried 720p resolution and it didnt look very good either.

Heres my monitor if this helps:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824009163
post #6 of 14 Old 11-15-2009, 10:55 PM

Liked: 93
VGA on that monitor probably allows for more controls that you get with HDMI. Controls like Sharpness and other ******** are probably the problem here. Crank your Sharpness down, and chances are that VGA will look about as good as HDMI.
post #7 of 14 Old 11-16-2009, 01:29 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 186
That monitor should display max resolution on any connection it has. It's just a PC monitor. Something in your setup isn't right.

If xbox is telling you it's set to 1080p then something is up with the monitor or the connection. I believe if your monitor doesn't support whatever the current resolution is set as, you won't see anything.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #8 of 14 Old 11-16-2009, 01:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibberishballr View Post

How would i know if my monitor could accept a 1080p connection via vga? I know it runs 1080p because i have used hdmi for just video to see what it looks like (better than what i am seeing now)

Also if it cant what HD resolution should i try? I tried 720p resolution and it didnt look very good either.

Heres my monitor if this helps:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824009163

The easiest way is to go into the 360 video settings and set it to output 1920x1080. If it does in fact accept that resolution it should blink and a prompt should come up asking if you want to accept the changes. If the set doesn't accept that resolution, the screen will go blank, at which point you just have to wait about 25 seconds until the 360 reverts back to the previous resolution.
post #9 of 14 Old 11-24-2009, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for all the help...it looks pretty good...all is set up right. I had another question. Why would they make this monitor with no audio out? What was the purpose? Any thoughts?
post #10 of 14 Old 11-25-2009, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibberishballr View Post

So heres my setup. I have a 23 inch 1080p lcd monitor with hdmi, dvi, and vga outs. I want to run my xbox 360 elite in the highest quality i can. I have a reciever and speakers that i use for audio. Right now I am running a xbox 360 to vga to the monitor and using optical audio out to the receiver. The only problem is this is standard definition. I would run hdmi but the monitor would only give me video since it has no audio out. I would run the hdmi with an audio out to the recievers but an hdmi wont fit in the back of the console with the other cord that would give the audio. I am stuck and would like to know if anyone has any advice on what i should do?

Yes it will fit plug in the HDMI into your 360, take the standard Component cord or the Composite 360 cord.

You need to crack the grey shell off using a flat head screw driver.

With the grey shell off now you have enough space and clearance to plug both HDMI and the 360 AV cable in, which you can get Audio from and HDMI for picture.

The 360 is smart enough to know what you are doing.

Very simple DIY solution, or you can pay Microsoft $50 for a thinner cable. But why pay twice for what you already own.

Also cracking the grey shell off leaves the Optical audio perfectly intact it still works too.
post #11 of 14 Old 11-25-2009, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold View Post

Yes it will fit plug in the HDMI into your 360, take the standard Component cord or the Composite 360 cord.

You need to crack the grey shell off using a flat head screw driver.

With the grey shell off now you have enough space and clearance to plug both HDMI and the 360 AV cable in, which you can get Audio from and HDMI for picture.

The 360 is smart enough to know what you are doing.

Very simple DIY solution, or you can pay Microsoft $50 for a thinner cable. But why pay twice for what you already own.

Also cracking the grey shell off leaves the Optical audio perfectly intact it still works too.

I should have mention i already tried this and it did work but destroyed my old cable....melted....so I am avoiding that route.
post #12 of 14 Old 11-26-2009, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
They probably made your monitor with out sound as it like a monitor. monitor usually don't have sound or speakers.

Can't you run a HDMI to your receiver for sound? And then run a HDMI out of your receiver to your monitor for picture?
post #13 of 14 Old 12-03-2009, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripeer View Post

They probably made your monitor with out sound as it like a monitor. monitor usually don't have sound or speakers.

Can't you run a HDMI to your receiver for sound? And then run a HDMI out of your receiver to your monitor for picture?

I could if i had an hdmi input on the receiver but my receivers a few yrs old...I guess they just expect you to have an hdmi receiver nowadays..........
post #14 of 14 Old 12-04-2009, 09:13 AM

You can get an HDMI cable set on eBay for $10 or less. Not MS brand but works just the same. That's what I did for my arcade.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page