Netgear Powerline adaptor vs. Wireless N adaptor for gaming - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 11-23-2009, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 290
A friend at work gave me a old Linksys gaming adaptor (WGA54G) to con me into to checking out XBL and play MW2. I'm pretty hooked on the experience but have been having problems like being kicked out of private party chat, kicked out of a loading game back to the lobby or getting error message like "waiting for host", and sometimes running into invisible walls on maps that move me all over the place and sometimes freeze up. From what I found my connection speed is good so I am thinking maybe I should upgrade the gaming adaptor.

I'm looking at the the Netgear Powerline (XAVB101) which seems to have received great reviews. Is there any reason I should consider a wireless adaptor over this? Seems like the price for a good one is about the same.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-24-2009, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Make sure you purchase the Powerline adapter from somewhere you can return it. It may or may not work well for you depending on how your house is wired. I'd say the quoted specs are for when one adapter is plugged into the same outlet as the other adapter. As you move from the same outlet into another outlet in the same room, to another outlet in another room, to another outlet on another floor... the signal goes to hell. Nobody can say how it will work for you until you try it for yourself.

I tried one a while back and returned it because it was worse than my wireless G setup. It struggled to just keep a constant connection.

The best solution is to run a wire.

post #3 of 13 Old 11-24-2009, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

Make sure you purchase the Powerline adapter from somewhere you can return it. It may or may not work well for you depending on how your house is wired. I'd say the quoted specs are for when one adapter is plugged into the same outlet as the other adapter. As you move from the same outlet into another outlet in the same room, to another outlet in another room, to another outlet on another floor... the signal goes to hell. Nobody can say how it will work for you until you try it for yourself.

I tried one a while back and returned it because it was worse than my wireless G setup. It struggled to just keep a constant connection.

The best solution is to run a wire.

Thanks for the feedback. Running a wire is not an option for me the way my house is set up so I'm looking for a strong reliable alternative. I'll probably order from amazon... I hate paying almost 10% tax in this wretched state.

My Rig

post #4 of 13 Old 11-24-2009, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I tried this exact same thing this past weekend.

I had been using the G wireless adapter which had been fine for gaming but not so great for Netflix viewing. Tried the Netgear powerline adapter and they just didn't give me any better speed than the wireless did. House was built in the last 15 yrs so I don't know if it's a wiring thing or something else.

I ended up returning the powerline adapters and got my $140 back. They're a great idea, just didn't work for my situation.

Can I bum a sig?
post #5 of 13 Old 11-24-2009, 09:38 PM
Advanced Member

Haven't looked into it but MoCA would probably be better.
post #6 of 13 Old 11-25-2009, 07:27 AM

Same boat here. I have been using a Netgear G router and Buffalo G bridge fine for a couple of years. Fine for games, weak sauce for streaming. I finally picked up a new N router a couple of weeks ago to give the G router to my brother-in-law.

With the G bridge...no difference. I even moved the bridge right next to the router with a 100 foot cable. Little difference.

With a new MS N adapter from a local store. Worse than the G bridge. My guess is that the adapter is 5Ghz and the router is an 2.4 Ghz N router so the adapter kept connecting as a G. Took that back to the store.

Ordered a Trendnet N gaming adapter. It is also a 2.4 Ghz N adatper so it was slightly better. Media Center network tuning at least barely got to the "Acceptable for TV" band. Still not good enough. Sending it back.

Last night I picked up the new Belkin Gigabit Powerline HD kit from the local big box store. Bleh. Actually worse than that Trendnet N adapter. Same as someone else reported. In the same room - it screamed. In the basement, about as bad as the G bridge. This is a 4 year house with what should be pristine wiring. Going back to the store today.

I just have to bit the bullet and drop a wire. It is going to be a giant PITA, but it is the only way I am going to get a decent connection for streaming.
post #7 of 13 Old 11-25-2009, 08:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 333
Dlink 655 + N adapter = Heaven

Xbox Live & PSN gamertag- Daekwan
www.facebook.com/Daekwan
post #8 of 13 Old 11-25-2009, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

Would this play well with my Airport Extreme? Is it fairly easy to set up?

My Rig

post #9 of 13 Old 11-25-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote from another forum/comment thread:

Power Line Adapters (PLAs) whilst seemingly a good solution to home
networking are essentially a very poor technology. They pollute the
radio spectrum, interfere with your neighbours radio (preventing
reception of Short Wave broadcasts) and do not adhere to the European
EMC directives.

They rely upon your internal house wiring to pass signals between
units. Unfortunately, your house wiring is a good ariel and these
signals go far beyond your house, many 100s of yards and in some cases
get into external telephone lines and street wiring and have even been
known to radiate from lamp posts. The units effectively become the
same as an illegal radio transmitter.

The government and OFCOM know the problems regarding PLAs and will
respond when complaints are made by your neighbours, by removing the
devices, so please ensure that the retailer has a sale or return
policy. In a lot of cases involving BT, this translates to BT
replacing the PLAs with CAT5 cabling.

Home networking has a perfectly good wireless system based on the IEEE
802.11 standard (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11). This
is commonly called WiFi and operates at frequencies (2.4GHz) that do
not interfere with other equipment. It is legal, adheres to all
European EMC directives and allows you to transfer your broadband and
gaming system throughout the house.

There are campaigns afoot both at local and governmental level to have
PLAs removed from the shops and banned. Australia has already taken
steps to ban PLA devices.

So in reality, they are not such a good idea after all.
post #10 of 13 Old 11-27-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

Except that is what I have tried in many of the permutations I listed above.

My new router is the D-link 655. I tired the Microsoft N adapter and the TrendNet N gaming adapter. In each case, neither gave any better performance than my 2-3 year old Buffalo G bridge. In the case of the Microsoft N adapter, it was worse since it sat right on the Xbox, so I couldn't move it away from the Xbox, TV or any other interference.

In my case, Dlink 655 + N adapter = a sad panda
post #11 of 13 Old 11-27-2009, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRT Dude View Post

Haven't looked into it but MoCA would probably be better.

I've heard the same thing, that MoCA is the best solution if you don't want to run ethernet throuh the house. It's especially important to have a high-speed (aka wired) connection if you ever plan on using the 360 as a Media Center Extender.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #12 of 13 Old 11-27-2009, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I've had the NETGEAR XAVB101 Up to 200Mbps Powerline AV Ethernet Adapter Kit for almost 2 years now and I've never had a problem with it, for gaming or streaming A/V in my house.

One unit is in my basement office, next to my router (DGL-4300), and plugs into the wall outlet there. That outlet was wired up 7 years ago when I finished the basement. It connects to the second unit in my den, which was added to the house 15 years ago, and is a floor and approx 50 feet away.
So both outlets contain fairly recent electrical wiring.

We've used it to stream HD quality Netflix movies, x264 encoded blu-ray rips from my media server PC, as well as playing games on XBL.
Never had any problems with any of that.

The only weakness in my signal chain is the DGL-4300 which will be replaced soon.
post #13 of 13 Old 03-03-2011, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammybastard View Post

I've had the NETGEAR XAVB101 Up to 200Mbps Powerline AV Ethernet Adapter Kit for almost 2 years now and I've never had a problem with it, for gaming or streaming A/V in my house.

One unit is in my basement office, next to my router (DGL-4300), and plugs into the wall outlet there. That outlet was wired up 7 years ago when I finished the basement. It connects to the second unit in my den, which was added to the house 15 years ago, and is a floor and approx 50 feet away.
So both outlets contain fairly recent electrical wiring.

We've used it to stream HD quality Netflix movies, x264 encoded blu-ray rips from my media server PC, as well as playing games on XBL.
Never had any problems with any of that.

The only weakness in my signal chain is the DGL-4300 which will be replaced soon.

I've been using this same model almost issue free since shortly after this thread. Lately however it seems to be a bit fussy requiring resetting and I've been getting the red light in the center indicating >50 mbps. I'm considering adding additional devices and using a wired connection so have been considering replacing it with a MoCA.

I was looking at the Netgear MCAB1001 MoCA which seems to have solid reviews on amazon. Searching the reviews for "powerline" seems several folks used the MoCA as a far superior alternative. Anyone here using MoCA and care to chime in with your experience? I have comcast and am using a Motorola SB6120 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 eXtreme and a D-Link DIR-655 Router. Cat6 cables.

My Rig

Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page