Is it worth it to buy a Component to HDMI converter? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-26-2009, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm stuck with the older 360s that do not have the HDMI input. Would you recommend buying a converter? I'm already getting 1080p through Component.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-26-2009, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
No? Why do you think would benefit from this? It doesn't magically give you a digital->digital connection.

PSN / Steam - KrimsonStudios
post #3 of 6 Old 11-26-2009, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 173
I would not recommend it. If your TV accepts a VGA signal, I would recommend trying that. I noticed an increase in overall image detail switching to VGA from component on my 32-inch LCD.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #4 of 6 Old 11-26-2009, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I have found through my own trial and error, and also viewing online comparisons of other people coming to the same conclusions as I have that VGA for some reason does not look as good as 360 Component.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattbrett/532390746/

Also buying a HDMI to Component converter would not be a good idea. It would I guess add input lag, where you would be several frames behind the action.

Because the Cable is just a pipe the cable or adapter does not do any Scaling or conversion so it would be a high dollar adapter.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/uninteresting/102411814/
post #5 of 6 Old 11-26-2009, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I have to agree with the above poster. Adding an HDMI to component converter would in my mind, increase input lag as the signal passes through the converter. Why would you want to do this anyway? The cable that comes with the unit is Hi def anyway.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-26-2009, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold View Post

I have found through my own trial and error, and also viewing online comparisons of other people coming to the same conclusions as I have that VGA for some reason does not look as good as 360 Component.

The photo linked looks nothing like what I'm experiencing on my end. Component in those shots don't look much better. In fact, they are artificially sharp, due to either the sharpness setting being up too high or the fact that velocity scan modulation (VSM) is still engaged. Could be a combination of both.

In actuality, VGA will allow most TVs to pixel map 1:1, which is very much worth it for video games. It also will typically bypass most processing in the TV by default, though some TVs still need user end adjustments. Certain TVs don't do well with a VGA signal, though, so your mileage may vary.

To the OP, please don't let Ice Cold's link dissuade you from trying out a VGA cable (if you have the option). Ice Cold, I mean no disrespect to you, but many others here who still use VGA, including myself, will 100% disagree with you that it looks worse than component. Those pictures that you linked to aren't accurate at all of what most of the VGA users see on this forum.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page