CRT owners and converts: Should I swap my Sharp LCD for a Sony CRT? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 11-27-2009, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's the skinny: For two years I've been gaming on a 32" Sharp LCD (LC-32D43U). It's a nice set and puts out a decent picture but I have to kill my blacks to get decent shadow detail. This week I came home for Thanksgiving and sat down to watch some TV on my parents 10 year old RCA bubble tube and was fairly shocked when a Modern Warfare 2 commercial came on. The motion looked way smoother than anything I've seen ever seen on my LCD and the black levels were fantastic.

So I jumped on craigslist and long story short I have the opportunity to swap my LCD for a 30" HD Sony CRT (KV-HS420) about an hour south of me. My question is: is it worth it? It's supposedly in very good condition, however I don't know if it's been running in torch mode or not (something I'll ask about before making the swap). It also weighs 140lbs...

So to the CRT fans, converts, and non-believers I pose the question: Do I stick with what I have and deal with the fact that the black levels are sub-par and the motion doesn't look nearly as smooth or I do take a Saturday and a tank of gas to trade it for a TV that weighs four times as much and is two inches smaller to get a superior picture?

Always remember: The pessimist is never disappointed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-27-2009, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Why not go for a plasma? There are plenty 42" around $500 right now... I'm not sure if this is the most economical, but new is nice.

And plasmas are lighter than that CRT and since it's new, you know that you can take care of it from day 1.

PSN - nnarum
post #3 of 12 Old 11-27-2009, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
well, i'm personally not a fan of Sharp LCD's, so if it was me and i had the room i would think about it. keep one thing in mind though, a lot of people online claimed to have problems with this particular model, so that's something to think about. and if you do get it, i suggest bringing a few strong people to help you out with it, because i'm guessing that thing's gotta weight around 230 pounds or so...

Xbox Live: KoNtRoL MaNiAk
post #4 of 12 Old 11-27-2009, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PvtChurch View Post

Here's the skinny: For two years I've been gaming on a 32" Sharp LCD (LC-32D43U). It's a nice set and puts out a decent picture but I have to kill my blacks to get decent shadow detail. This week I came home for Thanksgiving and sat down to watch some TV on my parents 10 year old RCA bubble tube and was fairly shocked when a Modern Warfare 2 commercial came on. The motion looked way smoother than anything I've seen ever seen on my LCD and the black levels were fantastic.

So I jumped on craigslist and long story short I have the opportunity to swap my LCD for a 30" HD Sony CRT (KV-HS420) about an hour south of me. My question is: is it worth it? It's supposedly in very good condition, however I don't know if it's been running in torch mode or not (something I'll ask about before making the swap). It also weighs 140lbs...

So to the CRT fans, converts, and non-believers I pose the question: Do I stick with what I have and deal with the fact that the black levels are sub-par and the motion doesn't look nearly as smooth or I do take a Saturday and a tank of gas to trade it for a TV that weighs four times as much and is two inches smaller to get a superior picture?

Do It NOW!.

I did something similar with my ex-gf, we got back together for a bit and she had a

Sony KD-34XBR960

I played dumb, and she sold it for $400 bucks to me because she wanted what she thought was an Upgrade to a LCD (mistake)

Right now I have turned down $800 just last month for the TV which I have had now for 3 years.

http://reviews.cnet.com/direct-view-....html?tag=also

They are simply the reference standards when it comes to picture quality motion and colors. Direct Tv brodcasts in 1080i and this TV is 1080i.

sure it takes 4 large men to move it But in 3 years it has never been moved.

Component 720p Xbox 360 Looks Amazing. And HD Sports well more Amazing.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...38871#features

they go for $1,000's even used online. If you can find one from a clueless seller even better.
post #5 of 12 Old 11-27-2009, 12:25 PM

CRTs do look much better than LCD. One word of caution though, make sure the set doesn't have excessive overscan. I have a 30" Philips 1080i CRT that looks amazing, but it's almost useless for gaming. The overscan is so bad in a lot of games it cuts off part of the HUD/OSD and you can't see information that is important to know.
post #6 of 12 Old 11-27-2009, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr231 View Post

CRTs do look much better than LCD. One word of caution though, make sure the set doesn't have excessive overscan. I have a 30" Philips 1080i CRT that looks amazing, but it's almost useless for gaming. The overscan is so bad in a lot of games it cuts off part of the HUD/OSD and you can't see information that is important to know.

Modern Warfare 2 has the option to adjust the HUD size. It comes in handy in cases such as this.

XBL: DallasAch
post #7 of 12 Old 11-27-2009, 10:25 PM
Advanced Member

You can adjust overscan in the service menu. Your going to be losing a good bit of resolution since its only 853x1080 which means 853x~720 for most games but will still be better than that LCD.
Nice score on the 960. I wish I could of gotten a SFP tube but my 970 gets the job done.
post #8 of 12 Old 11-28-2009, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRT Dude View Post

You can adjust overscan in the service menu. Your going to be losing a good bit of resolution since its only 853x1080 which means 853x~720 for most games but will still be better than that LCD.
Nice score on the 960. I wish I could of gotten a SFP tube but my 970 gets the job done.

nice and theres always some fool giving one away online.

http://cosprings.craigslist.org/ele/1473882339.html

worth buying and doing any necessary repairs if any.
post #9 of 12 Old 11-28-2009, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRT Dude View Post

I considered this when I started looking around. I'd love to find a SFP but the CRT market in Maine seems to be pretty scarce and the people who own them typically know what they're worth.

I figure at 30" the 300,000 or so lost pixels won't be a big deal.

post #10 of 12 Old 11-29-2009, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

My suggestion would be first to buy a plasma. The better plasmas like Pioneer, Panasonic, and even some Samsungs are still a little ahead of most LCDs in terms of black levels, smoother motion and off-angle viewing. Second would be to consider an LCD that's better than the model you currently have. There are some really good Sonys and Samsungs that would produce much better blacks than you're getting now, as well as smoother motion, and the better models are really closing the gap on plasmas in all the afore-mentioned areas.

Steve

post #11 of 12 Old 11-29-2009, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman325 View Post

My suggestion would be first to buy a plasma. The better plasmas like Pioneer, Panasonic, and even some Samsungs are still a little ahead of most LCDs in terms of black levels, smoother motion and off-angle viewing. Second would be to consider an LCD that's better than the model you currently have. There are some really good Sonys and Samsungs that would produce much better blacks than you're getting now, as well as smoother motion, and the better models are really closing the gap on plasmas in all the afore-mentioned areas.

Totally would if I had the money. This was a straight up trade so it was doable, I don't have so much as $200 to drop on a new TV right now though. I have however decided to keep my LCD, I recalibrated it and fixed some mistakes I made last time. It's much improved so I'm going to hold out until I can upgrade to a plasma in a couple years.

post #12 of 12 Old 11-29-2009, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PvtChurch View Post

Totally would if I had the money. This was a straight up trade so it was doable, I don't have so much as $200 to drop on a new TV right now though. I have however decided to keep my LCD, I recalibrated it and fixed some mistakes I made last time. It's much improved so I'm going to hold out until I can upgrade to a plasma in a couple years.

I know exactly where you're coming from. I'm glad to hear you were able to make improvements with your LCD though.

Steve

Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page