What game to play while walking on treadmill - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 58 Old 02-02-2010, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
XBLA games are a good place to start. I used to be hooked on Uno for months while cycling now I just read.
Check out 1 vs 100. They have a new game every night to keep things fresh.
Also you could always check out netflix streaming since they have a decent selection of TV shows available. Catch up on LOST, final season premiere is today btw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 58 Old 02-02-2010, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 265
It's too bad they aren't available on the Xbox or 360 but Harmonix's first two efforts, FreQuency and Amplitude, would be the perfect games to play.
post #33 of 58 Old 02-02-2010, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR6AGB001 View Post

Check out 1 vs 100.

That's a great idea right there. You can build up points in the nightly non-hosted sessions that are "audience only" or whatever they call it, and the more points you have the better the odds of being picked for the "the mob" or "the one" on the hosted game nights. (Tuesdays and Fridays?)

They're on a schedule too, so it would be easy to get in the habit of "treadmill and 1 vs 100 at 7 PM every night."

Guess I need an Arcade unit for the garage...
post #34 of 58 Old 02-02-2010, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder696969 View Post

Already exists...sort of. http://hacknmod.com/hack/exercise-bi...60-controller/

That's pretty sweet, but looks quite complicated. Still, I think this is something Natal should be able to handle no problem. Maybe they could have some specific games for treadmills and ellipticals as well. If Natal works as well as it's supposed to work, and it can see all your joints and such, then while you are on a exercise bike or treadmill or whatever, it should be able to see your motion as well. Maybe Electronic Arts will have a special option in an EA Active game for Xbox 360 that will allow us to use various exercise equipment while playing some type of game that will keep us motivated. Seems like a good idea.
post #35 of 58 Old 02-02-2010, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Walking/running on the treadmill tonight I thought of a use for the "automatic drum pedal" feature on Lego Rock Band. I could tie my RB1 drums to the rails, turn on auto-kick, and do a fairly brisk walk while drumming.
post #36 of 58 Old 02-03-2010, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeiler View Post

This seems like a lot of wasted resources to have a treadmill/game system/tv running just to entertain yourself while working out.

Have you tried running outside? The graphics are pretty good

Graphics outside arent very good here in wisconsin in february, unless you find grey and white to be appealing. The real time weather effects arent very fun either and neither is jogging in a parka and pack boots.
post #37 of 58 Old 02-03-2010, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speycaster View Post

Graphics outside arent very good here in wisconsin in february, unless you find grey and white to be appealing. The real time weather effects arent very fun either and neither is jogging in a parka and pack boots.

LOL. That's the same comeback I use when someone makes a stupid comment like that (except using PA weather). 15 degrees and rainy, icy, snowy, slushy is not ideal. Plus you get the being hit by a car/bitten by a dog/being mugged (if you don't live in a safe neighborhood or have to run at night) factor.

Also, running on sidewalks/asphalt (especially if it's uneven) is tons harder on your knees than a decent treadmill is, and you risk sprains and splits (and possibly twisted ankles) more. It's also hard in much of the country to find inclines.

Finally, a treadmill is just more convenient in certain situations....like if you have kids. You can't really tuck them in, plop them in front of the TV, or lock them in a closet and then leave the house for an hour to go running. But you can do that and jump on the treadmill. Well, not lock them in a closet.

To the OP: if you have a Wii and Wii Fit, you could use the "running around the island" game, which I do and is a better on a treadmill than running in place.

I think someone could make a simple community game (or XNA game or whatever they call those now) where you just run around like that (on a street or through the forest), and use the controller to choose different paths/forks in the road would work. If you made one, you'd sell like 2 or 3 copies!
post #38 of 58 Old 02-03-2010, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Some great ideas. Civilization revolution is a perfect game, though I have finished it (except for 1 achievement). That game is just fun to play anyways. I was thinking that maybe Viva pinata would work as there is not too much interventional action.

I know stationary bikes, have some screens, which mimic going uphill, downhill etc, and accordingly adjust the tension to reflect difficulty. The next step would be to adapt environments (like in racing games), to bicycles/treadmills, so that you have a sense going somewhere. Add in a few achievements, get some multiplayer action, and I think one would have a million seller quickly. One could use the natal technology to assess how hard one is working (or how quickly one is pedalling/walking/running add a pulse monitor interface as well). Hmmmmm, I wonder if there is a way to patent this idea, lol.

Xbox and PS3 Gamertag = Xerostomia
Wii = I'm too lazy to get the number
post #39 of 58 Old 02-03-2010, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deveng View Post

One could use the natal technology to assess how hard one is working (or how quickly one is pedalling/walking/running add a pulse monitor interface as well). Hmmmmm, I wonder if there is a way to patent this idea, lol.

True...with NATAL you could have "virtual" 5ks or marathons on treadmills, or bike races on stationary bikes.

Of course, I think it's a great idea from an "idea" standpoint, but the market wouldn't be there since I doubt many people would a) be interested and b) be set up with a treadmill/bike for any games like that.

Would be fun to challenge all my Live friends to a virtual 5K race though.
post #40 of 58 Old 02-03-2010, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:

The next step would be to adapt environments (like in racing games), to bicycles/treadmills, so that you have a sense going somewhere.

I belonged to the YMCA 10 years ago, and at that time they had stationary bikes with side handles that had video monitors with a couple 'games' on them. One had you pedaling faster/slower as a biplane to drop water on house fires [steering with your arms, and dropping water with the press of a button] and another game had you in an ancient stadium playing a version of the Aztec Ball Game... Graphics weren't any better than a Super Nintendo at the time, but as a kid it was more fun than just pedaling towards a wall for an hour.

"We've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas." - Agnes Mona Flanders
post #41 of 58 Old 02-03-2010, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

I have been playing Halo Wars while riding a stationary bike and it works well.

As soon as spring gets here I am getting back outside. Hopefully, I can find one of these to keep me motivated.

http://www.elitefeet.com/running-behind-a-carrot

XBL/PSN: wirechild
post #42 of 58 Old 02-03-2010, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirechild73 View Post

As soon as spring gets here I am getting back outside. Hopefully, I can find one of these to keep me motivated.

http://www.elitefeet.com/running-behind-a-carrot

That's why I always take the back row of treadmills at the gym. You never know who will be on the row in front of you (although I've kindof learned who likes which treadmills and position myself accordingly). And you don't have to worry about passing them or them running faster than you.

Yes, I am that creepy gym guy you've all heard about

Of course, this time of year I always end up with the New Years Noobs in front of me with their fat bursting out of the sweats. Most of them have (thankfully) given up by now, but there seems to a few stragglers who actually made it to February.
post #43 of 58 Old 02-03-2010, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I know stationary bikes, have some screens, which mimic going uphill, downhill etc, and accordingly adjust the tension to reflect difficulty. The next step would be to adapt environments (like in racing games), to bicycles/treadmills, so that you have a sense going somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

True...with NATAL you could have "virtual" 5ks or marathons on treadmills, or bike races on stationary bikes.

Of course, I think it's a great idea from an "idea" standpoint, but the market wouldn't be there since I doubt many people would a) be interested and b) be set up with a treadmill/bike for any games like that.

Would be fun to challenge all my Live friends to a virtual 5K race though.

iFit Live promises all that stuff, but it doesn't seem like they have it working worth a crap yet even though they released it for the newest treadmills. Supposedly you can make a route on Google maps and and then run that route on your treadmill, with correct distance and elevation cahnges at the right time. Supposedly if you make a route with Google Street View info available and have a computer in front of the treadmill, you will get the street view on the monitor as you virtually run . SUPPOSEDLY you can link to facebook and run virtual 5ks against your friends.

It doesn't sound like any of that stuff is working yet, but the Jillian workouts are said to be working.
post #44 of 58 Old 02-04-2010, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

play uno... and then eat a chili cheeseburger as a payoff

2011 SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS- New York Giants!!!

Gamertag: GENERAL CUPKAKE
post #45 of 58 Old 02-04-2010, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:

I know stationary bikes, have some screens, which mimic going uphill, downhill etc, and accordingly adjust the tension to reflect difficulty. The next step would be to adapt environments (like in racing games), to bicycles/treadmills, so that you have a sense going somewhere.

They have those. I used a system just like this at the gym at the Bellagio in Las Vegas. You could even sign up with the system, your name and profile goes into a database, they can keep track of your stats on each track (there were like 30 tracks), etc.

The graphics were pretty crude, simple by Dreamcast standards, but it honestly made the workout slog much more enjoyable. If I ever was able to have a home gym this would definitely be the setup I get.
post #46 of 58 Old 02-04-2010, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
a bit off topic.
NATAL plus a projector could be AWESOME for tennis.

I just picture playing first person tennis with on a (100+ inch screen) being "Life size"
post #47 of 58 Old 02-05-2010, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirechild73 View Post

I have been playing Halo Wars while riding a stationary bike and it works well.

Off topic, but if you're nuts you can game while riding a regular bike...

http://www.twitvid.com/667F5

-JR
post #48 of 58 Old 02-07-2010, 10:04 PM

I play rock band guitar on hard and expert while working out on my elliptical (not the easiest but quite fun). It makes the time fly bye, sometimes I loose track of time and will play for an hour or two....
post #49 of 58 Old 02-08-2010, 12:07 PM

Liked: 11
Whatever you do, don't play the New Super Mario Brothers on a Nintendo DS. I have a treadmill in my basement, but I'm kinda tall and my basement ceiling is kinda low. So my head hits the ceiling if I wear shoes. So when I first tried out the treadmill, I decided to walk on it barefoot, while playing New Super Mario Brothers on my DS. On the back of my treadmill, there are 2 pieces of plastic at the corners; and there is a small gap between these pieces of plastic and the treadmill. I became so distracted by my game, that I lost my footing. My left foot got dragged in between the piece of plastic and the treadmill. It scrapped off a good amount of skin off of my foot, and took several weeks to heal. So I would strongly suggest staying away from hand held games.

"Here on the moon, our weekends are so advanced, they encompass the entire week." Ignignokt from Aqua Teen Hunger Force
post #50 of 58 Old 02-10-2010, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I play the same games while walking or sitting (mostly shooters). It's a great way to make the time go by. Running would be difficult, but walking doesn't seem to be a problem.

psn: markcusd
X1: MarkcusD
post #51 of 58 Old 02-11-2010, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I typically do Magic the Gathering while on the elliptical. I tried more action oriented games but found myself losing balance far too often
post #52 of 58 Old 10-16-2010, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 94
I've done it some before, but I find Netflix or a DVD to be better. Plus, if you have other gym equipment, a movie can play the entire time, not just when your hands are free.
post #53 of 58 Old 10-18-2010, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

You can walk on the treadmill while aimlessly walking around Cyrodiil in Oblivion or Far Cry 2 has a huge virtual world to walk around too. Though you'll come across random fights you can possibly avoid most of them.

Xbox GT: LENNY 2112
post #54 of 58 Old 10-18-2010, 09:46 AM

Peggle
post #55 of 58 Old 10-18-2010, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I set my treadmill at 4.5 mph...not jogging but a pretty quick walk, I couldnt imagine trying to play a game at that pace...but if you slowed down to 3 mph it would defeat the purpose...If it were me i'd stick to watching movies unless you walk much slower and in that case some poker would work....

Good for you to exercise daily!

xbox live GT: xXmaximus prime
PSN: maximus_rr
I have to go, I have a meeting with the bobs, uhhh I wasnt aware of any meeting......yeah they called me at home
post #56 of 58 Old 10-18-2010, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 581
exercise machines that don't vary the activity dynamically aren't much good. running on a treadmill is so much easier than running in real life. for max development, you need activities that constantly force you to change muscles on the fly like sports. even circuit training is not ideal.

anything that forces you to stop and go is what you want to do. to change directions. to challenge your momentum. think of the shuttle run in a box (sprint forward, suddenly stop, go around a cone, sidestep to the next cone, shuffle backward, sidestep back to the original spot) versus a 100M sprint. your body will develop far better in the shuttle than in the 100M sprint where you're building up momentum as you run and almost coasting on that sprint. the way most people use exercise machines is they get into a rhythm which only develops your body enough to achieve that goal.

nothing beats outdoor activities. you hear of some professional player who trains for months but they're not "basketball fit" or "football fit". when they start playing the game, that's when they really get fit.

that said, if you want to play a game and get fit, get something like Kinect. two birds with one stone. competition is the ultimate builder. if a guy forces you to zig instead of zag, that'll work your muscles far better than just moving in a particular motion like jogging.

that aside, if you're so bored working out that you want to play a game, you really need to change up your workout routine. working out should be fun. i'm a religious swimmer and biker and a casual weightlifter. I became an avid swimmer because I hated sitting in a hot gym just covered in sweat. I love biking because it's nice to be pumping at 30 mph with the wind blowing in my face. In the times I don't swim, I use that fitness toward tennis and basketball.

I used to be a big-time weightlifter but I just became big and not necessarily fit. I had these big muscles but it wasn't making sports easier. I'd get winded far more with the huge muscles. I'd rather be fit like Michael Phelps than big like Arnold Schwarzenegger.
post #57 of 58 Old 10-20-2010, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 581
post #58 of 58 Old 10-21-2010, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Problem with a treadmill and that setup, is if you are actually getting a workout (the reason for being on the treadmill in the first place) then you're going to sweat all over those controls

I've got a recumbant xrcise bike and I've tried gaming while riding and, honestly, unless I'm doing a "useless workout".....its too hard to concentrate on a game and keep a cadence on the bike and not be sweating all over everything

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

Reply Xbox Area