Awful Graphics on New Xbox 360 elite PLEASE HELP ME! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 39 Old 02-06-2010, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok so i just got a Vizio V0370M 2 months ago. I have xbox 360 elite with both HD component cables by rocketfish and HDMI cables by same maker. My LCD looks great with comcast digital cable tv and absolutely beast w/ Blurays but it is TERRIBLE w/ xbox 360 games!!

The graphics on games like COD4, Halo3, COD modern warfare 2, gears2, borderlands, etc---all look awful. They are poorly rendered, jagged lines, blocky, and TERRIBLE textures! It really looks like 1st gen xbox graphics. I will get some screenies for u all later.

I have my console/display settings set to 1080p. I tried 720p, 1080i and no improvement in quality. I tried using my HDMI and HD component--they look the same. Is there a way to manually set the vizio's resolution to match the xbox's? is it a refresh rate issue? Will adjusting the TV's settings like WS/fullscreen/full affect the quality?

I hooked up my xbox to my old sony 36 in XBR CRT HDTV and it looks way better. I understand the xbox upscales the images but this bad?? really??

ANY ADVICE IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!
THANKS
-JAROD V
-MA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 02-06-2010, 09:33 AM

Liked: 15
You could see if there is a game mode on the tv. I know on my Toshiba there is and it reduces the response time. It makes games look a little smoother. Otherwise, I'm not sure what is causing the poor picture quality. Does the tv have a 15 pin VGA input? You could try it through that. Before I had my tv I used my computer monitor for gaming and it was excellent quality. Is there a Visio tech support number? Just a few ideas.

Xbox live gamertag: jtexasflood
post #3 of 39 Old 02-06-2010, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

ya it has a vga. I can try using the cord i use for my PC (vga to hdmi). I use that one in order to use the vizio as a monitor.

I have found a few similar threads about the same HDTV LCD graphical issues with xbox 360--specifically vizio. im so bummed out. any help??
post #4 of 39 Old 02-06-2010, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
vga to hdmi is a no-no

use the ms vga cable, the ms component cable, or any ole' hdmi cable.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #5 of 39 Old 02-06-2010, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd View Post

vga to hdmi is a no-no

use the ms vga cable, the ms component cable, or any ole' hdmi cable.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360vgahdcable/
Set the 360 to 1080p rather than 1080i.
post #6 of 39 Old 02-06-2010, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarodV View Post

Ok so i just got a Vizio V0370M 2 months ago. I have xbox 360 elite with both HD component cables by rocketfish and HDMI cables by same maker. My LCD looks great with comcast digital cable tv and absolutely beast w/ Blurays but it is TERRIBLE w/ xbox 360 games!!

The graphics on games like COD4, Halo3, COD modern warfare 2, gears2, borderlands, etc---all look awful. They are poorly rendered, jagged lines, blocky, and TERRIBLE textures! It really looks like 1st gen xbox graphics. I will get some screenies for u all later.

I have my console/display settings set to 1080p. I tried 720p, 1080i and no improvement in quality. I tried using my HDMI and HD component--they look the same. Is there a way to manually set the vizio's resolution to match the xbox's? is it a refresh rate issue? Will adjusting the TV's settings like WS/fullscreen/full affect the quality?

I hooked up my xbox to my old sony 36 in XBR CRT HDTV and it looks way better. I understand the xbox upscales the images but this bad?? really??

THANKS
-JAROD V
-MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LR6AGB001 View Post

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360vgahdcable/
Set the 360 to 1080p rather than 1080i.

He already has it set that way.

SXRD/Oppo/Yamaha/Klipsch
PS3/PSN: pj_rage
360/Live: pjrage82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan
Dude please, your list of toys is so long its like Santa is your dad lol.
post #7 of 39 Old 02-06-2010, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:

Let's see. Two 600P games, one 640P game and two UE3 games. Maybe fire up the PS3 and try Wipeout HD or something that looks good. I think something like Grid has good IQ on the 360.

Now playing: Destiny, Madden, Diablo 3, PvZ: GW
Recently Finished: Infamous: First Light, Watch Dogs
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
post #8 of 39 Old 02-06-2010, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

all of those games are far from what he describes....

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #9 of 39 Old 02-06-2010, 04:37 PM

Liked: 93
Crank the sharpness down. Zero is probably Zero on your display. Color, brightness, and contrast are also probably set too high, exaggerating any graphical flaws. Also turn off any stupid Noise Reduction or enhancement settings.
post #10 of 39 Old 02-06-2010, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Try switching the HDMI to different inputs on the TV and see if it makes a difference. The other option is to take your Xbox to a friends house and see if the same things happens there (ideally compare to another Xbox side by side).

The only other comment is expectations. Resolution will no way be as nice as PC games, and much smaller monitors. Thus maybe the picture you are getting is accurate?

Xbox and PS3 Gamertag = Xerostomia
Wii = I'm too lazy to get the number
post #11 of 39 Old 02-06-2010, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Turn off all enhancement on the Tv ike Noise Reduction, edge enhacement, black adjust, etc. It might help if you took a pic of what's going on.
post #12 of 39 Old 02-06-2010, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Ty for the responses...

I have tried the xbox on 3 different tv's in my house. My old sony 720p xbr HDTV and it looked better image quality slightly, also on a samsung 32in HDTV LCD--it looked like crap still. Lastly on an identical vizio (my brother's) same crappy results!

I had my cousin bring over his xbox and i hooked it up and no difference!!

I used the HDMI cables and the HD components--no difference.I tried using all 3 hdmi ports--all same results.

I have the sharpness down to 0 and all the advanced features are turned off.

I did notice that when i used the HDMI cable, the xbox system>display settings offered me like 4 more options-not sure if they affect this?

What other possible solutions can there be?? I set the xbox to 1080p but the images look like 480p!

can i manually force the vizio to run it in 720P or put the 2 black bars on top/bottom border?

**does any1 have this same Vizio and an xbox 360? if so how is the image quality??
post #13 of 39 Old 02-07-2010, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Honestly, that's what Modern Warfare 2 looks like (on my displays). None of the games you listed are overly pretty, though Borderlands' cell-shading graphics help out a little bit to my eyes.

Remember, the 360 isn't making these games 1080p. As others have said, most games are developed well below that resolution (600p, 640p, etc). What the 360 does to any game is essentially do what a up-converting DVD player does: up-converts the source to the resolution you specify.

Just because you select 1080p in the system settings doesn't mean that games are 1080p. I wish that were the case, but unfortunately it isn't.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #14 of 39 Old 02-07-2010, 12:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
does your monitor have an aspect ratio button? or in the menu does it have an aspect ratio option? On my Dell computer monitor it tends to like to scale to full 1920x1200 which always softens the picture. I have to go into the menu to change the aspect ratio to just pass thru the signal from the xbox. Quick search online says their is a game mode on your Vizio. Have you tried that? Apparently turns off all monitor video processing to eliminate lag but may help the video as well. Then check the aspect ratio. if your entire screen is filled with the games above, I THINK, some scaling is occurring. If you hit the correct aspect ratio, it should have black lines above and below the game screen. Anyways that's how it is on my monitors. Hope it works.
post #15 of 39 Old 02-07-2010, 02:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
On my 40" 1080p Toshiba LCD. (Xbox settings to 1080P via HDMI and no game "mode" on the TV)

"My English is not very good looking" - Celia Cruz

post #16 of 39 Old 02-07-2010, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

all the pre programmed modes are is basically saved color/options settings from the menu-i tried game style and i still get sub par graphic quality. those pictures i posted really lend no justice to the crappy quality im getting. The vizio only lets me choose full/fill/stretch/zoom from the menu--i cannot choose a specific resolution/aspect ratio

i rememebr cod4 on my old hdtv crt looked awesome. this cod mw2 the character models "flicker" and there is no polish at all. do i really need a top tier lcd on a plasma/led to get thst level of polish/good textures/no "popping"

did any1 look at the xbox console display HDMI settings i mentioned-??
post #17 of 39 Old 02-07-2010, 08:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 250
It's amazing how much 'detail' your old crappy CRT TV can hide. OP's reaction is typical for those who first get their hands on a modern HDTV. There is no more fuziness on the new LCD or Plasm TV to blur the details. Hence all the flaws are revealed. Your XBox is fine. That's how these games are supposed to look like. TV programs and movies are usually shot in lower contrast and smoother in PQ. Hence you are less likely to notice the issue (imagine those looks like PC games with 4xAA) in addtion to they are produced in real HD resolutions.
post #18 of 39 Old 02-07-2010, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

It's amazing how much 'detail' your old crappy CRT TV can hide. OP's reaction is typical for those who first get their hands on a modern HDTV. There is no more fuziness on the new LCD or Plasm TV to blur the details. Hence all the flaws are revealed. Your XBox is fine. That's how these games are supposed to look like. TV programs and movies are usually shot in lower contrast and smoother in PQ. Hence you are less likely to notice the issue (imagine those looks like PC games with 4xAA) in addtion to they are produced in real HD resolutions.

Yeah it sounds like just that. Your used to old CRT HDTV's which often "look" amazing and then when you get a sharper cripiser LCD/Plasma you notice all the inperfection's that become aparent with these new screens.

Most of us have just become used to it as we've been using LCD's etc for quite sometime (Since xbox 1 for me)

When I'm gaming by myself I often use a 23" monitor via hdmi>dvi and play roughly 4 away. I find it the perfect size/distance/iq for me personally
post #19 of 39 Old 02-07-2010, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

What other possible solutions can there be?? I set the xbox to 1080p but the images look like 480p!

Maybe it is showing in 480p, even though the console may be outputting 720p or 1080i. Did you press the "Info" or "Display" button on your TV remote to see what resolution the TV is displaying when the Xbox 360 is connected?
post #20 of 39 Old 02-07-2010, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

well if u r saying that xbox1 quality images is normal on a 1080p HDTV LCD then that is unfortunate and shtty. inc craigslist
post #21 of 39 Old 02-07-2010, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Well those screenshots you posted look about the way I remeber MW2 looking, granted I haven't played for 2 days.
Try hooking an xbox one up before you start saying these are xbox quality graphics, your be disgusted.
post #22 of 39 Old 02-07-2010, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
I am going to fire up MW2 and check that sceen that you posted. I disagree with others here, because I think it is supposed to look much better than what you posted (especially your 1st one). I was playing Mass Effect last night (the 1st one) and was absolutely amazed with the quality of the graphics (for reference, I am playing on a 133" screen), and when I play on my 60" plasma, I am even more impressed. I think there is something wrong with your setup. Try playing a PS3 game (a similar one if possible), and compare.

The other thing to checkout is the Halo Wars trailer. It was some of the best CGI I have scene on the console this far. Similarly download some trailers (GoW2, Halo Reach, etc) and see if the trailers are also that way. If all these things look really bad, then something maybe wrong with the Xbox/TV communication. If someone you know had a Xbox/PS3 setup, go to their house and check it out to see if there is any difference.

Xbox and PS3 Gamertag = Xerostomia
Wii = I'm too lazy to get the number
post #23 of 39 Old 02-07-2010, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:

THANKS
-JAROD V
-MA

If those pics you posted are accurate, it looks to me like your 360 is outputting at a low resolution (480p). Just looking for example at the mesh in the left side of the second picture, that looks to me like it's outputting 480p. If true, then it's probably not your display that's having the issue. Something else might be going on.

You say you've tried another 360. You've tried multiple HDMI inputs. Are you connecting the 360 directly to your display, or are you running it through an AVR or other equipment? Why are you using a combination of HDMI and component cables? It sounds like you've got something else in your equipment setup that you're not mentioning. Since you just recently moved from an HD CRT to an LCD, you may have something somewhere in your equipment that's still configured to your old CRT.

EDIT: Wait. Wait. Wait. Looking again at those pics, it's obvious that you're zooming on the image. Is that actually the edges of the image, or are you simply cropping the image to show us close ups? If the latter, take a natural picture of the image that tries to match the actual edges of the image. That way we can more accurately compare. If the former, then that's your issue.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #24 of 39 Old 02-07-2010, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I agree that your picture should be better. Though always tough to tell by screenshots yours do look soft to me. I've 2 non-hdmi xboxes connected to a 1080p PJ and a Sharp 1080p LCD and to a Dell computer 24 inch 1920x1200 LCD and unless you pics are really really zoomed in like confidenceman noted then something is wrong, imho. When you put the monitor in widescreen does it fill the screen? How about full? Haven't turned on my xbox is their an option in system setting for widescreen versus 4:3? If you keep it at 4:3 your TV may be stretching the picture. Just some random thoughts.
post #25 of 39 Old 02-07-2010, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Turn the sharpness down to a minimum. Having sharpness turned up at all can cause all kinds of artifacts. In particular, it can really exaggerate aliasing (jaggies).

Josh - GamerTag: ShapeGSX PSN: ShapeGSX
'97 Eclipse GSX - 11.825@117.55mph in the 1/4
post #26 of 39 Old 02-08-2010, 05:17 AM

You could have an issue with HDMI and the HDCP handshake. I have a Pioneer SC-07 receiver with two HDMI outputs and the first time I tried to use both simutaneousluy I got a warning that the HDCP encryption had been compromised. This resulted in both my cable box and 360 being forced to 480p resolution. The output settings on the box and the 360 changed automatically, and I had to go in and reset the output resolution. Are you running your signal through a receiver or straight to the TV? And if it happens with another 360 it's got to be related to some piece of equipment in the signal path. Hope that helps.

post #27 of 39 Old 02-08-2010, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Can your tv display info tell you what signal it's receiving? Does it confirm it's 1080p or whatever output you set on the 360?

To be honest, with as zoomed in as those pictures are, that's how it's supposed to look in my experience. (On an lcd type panel).

I specifically remember COD4 looking like that (when viewed close to the TV) and wondering why everyone praised the graphics. I always thought the textures were really low res.

How close or far you are from the screen is the biggest factor in how good the graphics will look to you. If you're pretty far, they look great. If you're pretty close, they look like crap. Such is the nature of low native resolution being upscaled. And the bigger the TV is, the bigger the problem.

You should try to post some more natural pictures as confidenceman says, to confirm, but based on how zoomed those are, I'm really not thinking there's a problem.

SXRD/Oppo/Yamaha/Klipsch
PS3/PSN: pj_rage
360/Live: pjrage82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan
Dude please, your list of toys is so long its like Santa is your dad lol.
post #28 of 39 Old 02-08-2010, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have the 42" version of that Vizio VO420E and the picture is awesome. Not sure what's wrong, but if you search on this site for the calibration, you should find something similar to your TV.

Come join our adult gaming community at www.syndicatedgaming.com

XBL, PSN, and Steam: diehardcubfn
post #29 of 39 Old 02-08-2010, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

So to summarize some of the posts above:

1) Confirm that the TV really is receiving a 1080p signal. Don't let the Xbox 360 and TV auto-negotiate down to a lower resolution.
2) Make sure that the Xbox 360 is set to 16x9 in the Xbox 360 menus, and that the TV is not using a stretch mode for displaying 16x9 content (no "Zoom", "Wide Zoom", etc.).
3) Turn down the sharpness and make other adjustments to the image quality settings on the TV as recommended by other owners of the same TV.
post #30 of 39 Old 02-08-2010, 09:46 AM

Very strange. I have a VO22LF and it looks much more detailed than what you've posted. Sure looks like a resolution issue somewhere. Your tv should have a game mode. Switch to that. That should turn off all picture processing, enchancement features. How do the NXE menu screens look?
Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page