Metro 2033? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 34 Old 02-19-2010, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any good buzz out there for Metro 2033? Anybody excited for it?

I just started looking into it, and it looks exactly like something I would dig. Not much marketing on it though. Maybe it will be a sleeper hit, heck Borderlands was...

I've got some stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 02-19-2010, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
What exactly is metro 2033?
post #3 of 34 Old 02-19-2010, 01:17 PM

I heard it's kind of like Fallout. Looks interesting, but not too much out there on it. Comes out next month.

Come join our adult gaming community at www.syndicatedgaming.net

XBL and Steam: diehardcubfn
post #4 of 34 Old 02-19-2010, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Here is the official website.

It is a first person shooter and looks like it could be scary as hell! I have heard a lot about this game, but until 5 minutes ago, never knew what it was about. Great, another game that looks really good. Gaming is getting WAY to expensive.

Xbox Live: TheRealMaxPower --- PSN: TheRealMaxPower

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

Theater- Benq W1070    Elite 120" projection...

post #5 of 34 Old 02-19-2010, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I'm really looking forward to this and I've been miffed that an English reprint of the novel is taking so long to be available on Amazon.
post #6 of 34 Old 02-19-2010, 03:42 PM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Im hoping this one turns out to be good. Too often they don't...sigh. This one reminds me of Stalker on the PC.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #7 of 34 Old 02-19-2010, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Eh I don't really care for the whole "dark and scary metro" feel. I got tired of that after Condemned. I think I'll take a wait and see approach. Fallout 3, even as goofy as it was at times, really set a standard for post-apocalyptic games for me and I really like the whole open world feel. This just seems to linear for my tastes.
post #8 of 34 Old 02-22-2010, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

I'm so excited for this game. It looks like an interesting mix between STALKER and Fallout 3.
post #9 of 34 Old 03-16-2010, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
So did anyone pick this up? Looks pretty good from the game play on you tube.

Gamertag: Quicksilver1663
PSN: ujustshaturpants
post #10 of 34 Old 03-16-2010, 03:12 PM

Liked: 11
IGN UK review;
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/107/1077533p1.html
post #11 of 34 Old 03-16-2010, 03:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Picked it up but only played it for about 10 minutes so far, seems like it will be pretty cool.

Jason
post #12 of 34 Old 03-17-2010, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

After playing this game for roughly 3 hours I've come to the conclusion that Metro 2033 is both impressively rad and fun despite its shortcomings (more on that in a minute).

See, I assumed this game would be a spiritual successor to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and more open-world considering the team working on it is comprised of people who worked on the original game, but to my surprise it's actually turning out to be a well crafted, linear S.T.A.L.K.E.R. type FPS that's been well steeped in a Valve-like design philosophy. I dont mean to imply that it's anywhere near the likes of Half-Life 2, but it does seem to borrow the heavily scripted first-person sequences rather than play CGI cutscenes or pull the camera out to show a 3rd-person cutscene. It consistently stays in the same perspective, at least so far it has. These sequences are top notch and usually take place in action sequences.

Initially the shooting in the game felt a little off, or perhaps 'floaty' in some cases. I suppose I haven’t determined if this is the direct cause of the Metro underground's makeshift weaponry system or if it's just lame game design by the developers. I'm leaning more towards intentional design since it does seem to fit well with the narrative and serves a purpose for immersion. When pulling the trigger the guns (that I have) do pull a lot to the sides, but I do always seem to be able to eventually hit the things that are trying to kill me. Also, there are a host of upgrades and weapons that I have yet to try so things will probably change in this regard with the better weapons. It's worth mentioning that there is no inventory management.

The graphics and atmosphere are fittingly melancholy, disparaging and filthy. It's very well suited for a decrepit Metro system which hosts the lives of 40,000 people who migrated there after the bomb dropped. Easily--for me that is--the weakest parts of the graphics came front-and-center when the game began--the mediocre facial constructions. Though they're not necessarily horrible, they just look slightly out of place from the otherwise well constructed surrounds and characters in the game. Plus the animations can be, at times, a little stiff. Some of the creatures in the game are more in line with the mediocre faces than the rest of the game and just come across as generic monster A from a build-your-own-game construction set. Surprisingly they’re not annoyingly bad, but you won’t stop to look at them either.

There doesn’t seem to be any 'save anywhere' save system in place as it just lies heavily on a fairly solid checkpoint system. To be clear, you actually can save anywhere, but it will start you back at a checkpoint (with your gear) which never seems to be too far away.

Something I wasn’t suspecting--this game can be really creepy and at times! At the risk of mildly spoiling something for you guys about the game--there are ghosts! Last night I was slowly working my way through a creaky old building. The howling of mutated creatures from outside echoed the halls along with my breathing (you must wear a mask when you go outside), totally putting me on edge. Suddenly the room I was in got a little warmer in color and something quickly moved in the darkness. I looked around and wasn’t sure if I was seeing smoke, or a ghost or something else when suddenly something whispered in my ear, "save us" and I flipped the F out! I ran ran ran towards the nearest door, turn a corner, bolted down a nearby stairway that lead me down stairs. At the bottom I found an open door and rush through it hoping to find a nice corner to hunker down in and, lo-and-behold, one of the mutated creatures from outside worked its way in to greet me. I fired off some shots but it wasn’t enough to stop him from pouncing on me. He tore into me but I shoved my knife into his neck a few times killing him. My mask was now shattered making it very difficult to see some of my surroundings clearly. I wandered around the floor eventually finding another mask to wear.

This game is wicked cool; check it out if you're on the fence.
post #13 of 34 Old 03-19-2010, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

The lack of interest of this game in these forums makes me sad.
post #14 of 34 Old 03-19-2010, 09:38 AM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Im interested but I dunno if I should pick it up or not. I was interested until I read about the combat not being so good in the IGN UK review and your review says its pretty linear. Still sounds cool though.

Have anything to add since you last updated the thread with your review?

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #15 of 34 Old 03-19-2010, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'll buy it when it goes on sale. Or maybe sooner if I need it, as I can't seem to stay interested in BioShock2 (so far my biggest disappointment of the year...).

I've got some stuff.
post #16 of 34 Old 03-19-2010, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalksInDarkness View Post

I'll buy it when it goes on sale. Or maybe sooner if I need it, as I can't seem to stay interested in BioShock2 (so far my biggest disappointment of the year...).

I'll definitely add it to my gamefly list. Both me and a buddy bought bioshock 2 and didn't get 5 hours into the game before selling them off.

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

post #17 of 34 Old 03-19-2010, 11:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 153
After about an hour of play... it is definitely more of a game for people that get into story vs. hardcore fps. The very dark and creepy atmosphere has me hooked and the story is interesting so far. Graphics are impressive at times but fairly bland most of the time. The control could be a bit tighter but it's certainly not broken. Over-all I think it's a solid game (at least so far ). I like it better than Fallout3 but then I was not a big fan of that game, so... ymmv.

*Update: Pretty much stopped playing the 360 version, now playing the PC version and enjoying it much more .

Jason
post #18 of 34 Old 03-19-2010, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Whatever marketing THQ did for this title it didn't reach me. Since its release my interest has steadily grown as I've learned more about it. Between warcrow's impressions and GameTrailers review I know I want to play this game. But I think I'll wait to pick it up when Steam puts it on sale.

Gamer Tag: Todd Stevens
post #19 of 34 Old 03-19-2010, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

How do the graphics look on the 360? cutting edge or no?

The PC version is probably one of the most state-of-the-art titles graphically...very advanced. The game has a metacritic of 87 (at least PC).
post #20 of 34 Old 03-21-2010, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
I will be picking this up when it gets cheap.
post #21 of 34 Old 03-21-2010, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven975 View Post

The PC version is probably one of the most state-of-the-art titles graphically...very advanced. The game has a metacritic of 87 (at least PC).

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/53...ox-360-Release

Now playing: Destiny Beta, Wolfenstein
Recently Finished: Watch Dogs, Southpark: Stick of Truth, Infamous: SS
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
post #22 of 34 Old 03-22-2010, 12:12 AM

Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven975 View Post

The graphics are definitely cutting edge...for an original Playstation!

Just finished the game and I would definitely NOT recommend a purchase or perhaps even a rental. How this game is getting rave reviews is beyond me.

While I'm generally a fan of dark horror-survival games that employ a rather bland color palette, yet immersive environment, ala Fallout or Dead Space, the absence of detail or involvment in Metro 2033 is apalling. Characters show little to no emotion; from their lackluster conversational translations, to their vapidly void expressions, to their robotic, yet sloppy movements, there's nothing to generate any sense of attachment or empathy to anyone or anything. In fact, when you hear your first Russian say, "douchebag," it's difficult not to turn off the console entirely.

Sadder still, it's not just "the good guys" that suffer. Creatures and enemies are poorly-rendered and static, so much so that you'll feel like you're shooting at a glob of goo...which you actually do later in the game. That's not the worst part, however. Rather than rely upon skill, the player must pray to whatever deity they believe in, as attacks are based upon trickery; meaning that enemies will randomly charge at you from the front, only to then magically appear/attack behind you. How nice.

There is only one word that sums up this game: LAZY. That's how it feels; as though someone slapped together a bunch of ranomized plotlines, some developmental drawings, and a trainwreck of dialogue and called it a "game." Save your money and call a cab. Avoid the Metro at all costs.
post #23 of 34 Old 03-22-2010, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder696969 View Post

The graphics are definitely cutting edge...for an original Playstation!

Just finished the game and I would definitely NOT recommend a purchase or perhaps even a rental. How this game is getting rave reviews is beyond me.

While I'm generally a fan of dark horror-survival games that employ a rather bland color palette, yet immersive environment, ala Fallout or Dead Space, the absence of detail or involvment in Metro 2033 is apalling. Characters show little to no emotion; from their lackluster conversational translations, to their vapidly void expressions, to their robotic, yet sloppy movements, there's nothing to generate any sense of attachment or empathy to anyone or anything. In fact, when you hear your first Russian say, "douchebag," it's difficult not to turn off the console entirely.

Sadder still, it's not just "the good guys" that suffer. Creatures and enemies are poorly-rendered and static, so much so that you'll feel like you're shooting at a glob of goo...which you actually do later in the game. That's not the worst part, however. Rather than rely upon skill, the player must pray to whatever deity they believe in, as attacks are based upon trickery; meaning that enemies will randomly charge at you from the front, only to then magically appear/attack behind you. How nice.

There is only one word that sums up this game: LAZY. That's how it feels; as though someone slapped together a bunch of ranomized plotlines, some developmental drawings, and a trainwreck of dialogue and called it a "game." Save your money and call a cab. Avoid the Metro at all costs.

I with you on that. Could not get into it at all. Going on Ebay today!!!

Come join our adult gaming community at www.syndicatedgaming.net

XBL and Steam: diehardcubfn
post #24 of 34 Old 09-08-2010, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Bumped because I started playing this yesterday. Far from a bad game and the story is sucking me in. To be fair, I did read the book first.

The book has some serious flaws in it, particularly when it comes to conversations - it really could have used some more work in smoothing out the translation as a lot of the dialog has a clunky feel to it, especially when changing topics or other changes in the flow of a conversation. The story underneath is a good base and the are moments when the feeling of lurking terror, paranoia, and fractioned enclaves of survivors is perfect. Overall the book is uneven, but enough to have me interested in Metro 2034 and almost hopeful of someone working out film rights - if it wouldn't get defecated on by Uwe Boll or the like.

The game ramps up the action, else it would be a very boring game, and so far is doing an even better job at conveying the mood than the book. Environments are effectively gloomy, eerie, and filled with creepy detritus and remains. Sound is used in an appropriately spine-tingling way, and the fleeting ghosts will keep you teetering between curiousity and palpitating uneasiness. I can't even imagine where it's going to take me with Artyom's visions, a very early one during a gasmask sequence blew me away.

The game also has a few mechanics that are novel, but help give it its own feel compared to other FPSs. You can pull up a journal and compass during realtime, as well as a lighter if you need it. You have a head lamp which slowly weakens, but you have a charger you can equip and handpump to build up your battery's charge. Pneumatic weapons are almost a shotgun/sniper rifle hybrid and work by pumping up pressure to shoot ball bearings. When using a gas mask the almost HUD-less screen means you'll check a meter on your watch to see when your filter should be changed.

The game isn't without its faults, however. It can be a little floaty at times and enemy and friendly AI aren't the best. The graphics are pretty good; maybe not the top tier in gaming, but a step up from most titles on store shelves, with the environments getting the most care in development. Characters are a bit stiff at times, and monsters more so, but anyone comparing it to PS1 era graphics is prone to hyperbole.

If you want a story driven FPS, if Half-Life 2 sucked you in, and you're not just looking for a free roam shoot 'em up, then definitely pick this up.
post #25 of 34 Old 09-18-2010, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just started playing it this week, grabbed a used copy. I am in total agreement with SirJon, it's an interesting enough story to bring up an trippy scary vibe.

My only complaint is that sometimes the games video feels to unrefined during battle scenes, sometimes it feels jittery and "flashy" like it's going to give me seizures; so it's really obvious that it was a low budjet production. That all being said, this is one of the most underated games this year; if you're an FPS Junkie like me, it is defintely worth a play.

I've got some stuff.
post #26 of 34 Old 09-22-2010, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Never saw this thread, I am still playing it. Its a fantastic SP game and it shouldnt be missed.
post #27 of 34 Old 07-06-2011, 09:31 PM

Liked: 13
Just finished this game and I really enjoyed it. It is not a run and gun FPS. You really need to be stealthy in some areas. I'd rate it a solid 8 out of 10.

Gamertag: x klem x
post #28 of 34 Old 05-06-2013, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 127
Risen from the dead.

Was wondering if there were any other impressions? Looks like the AVS community was somewhat torn. Thinking about purchasing this and getting ready for Metro Last Light, as that game is looking very promising.

XBOX Live ID: HONDEboyMAN
PSN ID: ahartig
post #29 of 34 Old 05-06-2013, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm definitely getting Last Light, but might wait for the first price drop. Disappointed that I still can't get the book Metro 2034 in English.

I'm sure you can't pick up the first one for $10 or so, that would make it a must buy if you ask me - just don't expect COD Blops or BF3 graphics out of it.
post #30 of 34 Old 05-06-2013, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow View Post

I'm definitely getting Last Light, but might wait for the first price drop. Disappointed that I still can't get the book Metro 2034 in English.

I'm sure you can't pick up the first one for $10 or so, that would make it a must buy if you ask me - just don't expect COD Blops or BF3 graphics out of it.

Funny thing is, I can't find a used copy of it for under $26. I might just purchase the on-demand version for $29 on xbox. I have watched some video reviews and impressions, and it looks like a nice change of pace from the Battlefield.

XBOX Live ID: HONDEboyMAN
PSN ID: ahartig
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page