post #121 of 2267 Old 01-18-2012, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Either way, Tom clancy's endwar says hello. It was lame in that game, and it'll probably be lame here. It's simply easier to use a controller as long as the UI doesn't suck. And ME's is traditionally very good.

One game where the whole hook of the game was using voice controls. Which means they had to spend a ton of development time to make work. With Kinect Microsoft gives you established hooks that just work. I know which option I would choose if I was developing a game.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 2267 Old 01-18-2012, 12:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 1330
Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post

One game where the whole hook of the game was using voice controls. Which means they had to spend a ton of development time to make work. With Kinect Microsoft gives you established hooks that just work. I know which option I would choose if I was developing a game.

The day voice recognition "just works" I'm going to throw a party. I'm constantly having to repeat myself to even the most sophisticated and up to date systems.

That's what I typed. This is what Siri heard:

"Today was the party Cotswood having a sophisticated and up-to-date systems"

So whoopee, voice recognition!

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #123 of 2267 Old 01-18-2012, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The day voice recognition "just works" I'm going to throw a party. I'm constantly having to repeat myself to even the most sophisticated and up to date systems.

If your not a fan of voice recognition then why do you care if it is being handled by Kinect or the headset?
post #124 of 2267 Old 01-18-2012, 12:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

If your not a fan of voice recognition then why do you care if it is being handled by Kinect or the headset?

Caring about something isn't a prerequisite for running my mouth about it.

post #125 of 2267 Old 01-18-2012, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

I have never had a quick jump to experience with the controller in ME2. I doubt that would be different with ME3. For me, I would much rather just say the thing then remember the controller options.

What's a "quick jump" on the controller? I got really good and quick with controller that I can issue 3 characters attacks at the same time. Sometimes if I select the wrong attack type, I can quickly reselect a correct attack before releasing RB. I can't see how voice command can do that quickly and accurately. The way the demo players give voice command, it's almost like they are novice players. Also, why wouldn't Bioware show a live demo on using voice command on stringing up 3 characters attacks quickly. Is Bioware afraid that may not always work properly? I know when showing live demo, you only want to show what's guarantee to work and not show anything that is too complex and doesn't always work.
post #126 of 2267 Old 01-18-2012, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Marketing, ie. Microsoft needs to try to hype voice recognition on Kinect "just works" but we all know in the real world how that is. When I got my new X360 bundled with Kinect, I really tried to use the voice command like Kinect ads, by give it a chance. Over the weeks, I start to stop using voice commands, because it's slower than what I can do with controller. Next, with controller, once I memorized where things are, I can quickly press the buttons on the controller before the screen can keep up. And I always get to the right screen and tab to launch what I want.

I tried with Kinect, if picked up every voice commands I gave, it's at most I can ask. Trying giving voice commands very quickly usually ends up repeating myself. So, I have to speak slower and not issuing the next command too quickly. Trying to use voice commands with Bing is also an exercise because it has to recongnize more words now and it's amusing the words it often chose.

Look at every Kinect ads that "just works", they always show the user doing things slower and step by step. That's okay for novice users but simply way too slow for me and hardcore gamers. All Microsoft needs to concern is Kinect continues to sell and push more X360 into the market.

Lately, I leave my Kinect unplugged from my X360 because it serves no purpose looking at me all the time.

If we compare voice recongnition to Star Trek TNG voice recongnition, have you notice when the user is using voice commands only, there are a lot of pauses in between. When the user is using the keyboard, he can enter commands very quickly. When Data needs to get a complex problem solved, he's usually using a keyboard. Not even "24th century" has solved voice commands. Of course with multi users or multiplayers on the same station or console, have fun with two players trying to give voice commands at the same time.
post #127 of 2267 Old 01-18-2012, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Caring about something isn't a prerequisite for running my mouth about it.

I asked this same question a year ago. My theory on the reason headset isn't supported is the voice recongnition software in Kinect. Normally, with voice commands, you would think headset is a better choice. But that removes the need of Kinect camera/microphone hardware. More Kinect sales is more $$$ for Microsoft.

Even I keep saying Kinect voice recongnition isn't as good as advertised, what is Sony doing about it? Nothing. I'm still debating which console version of ME3 to get. I'm curious about voice commands on X360 version even I know it probably will not work as what I expect but still fun to try it. Or PS3 version that will be on one disc. (Bioware hasn't announce total discs on X360 but for sure will be multi discs).
post #128 of 2267 Old 01-19-2012, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex3D View Post

What's a "quick jump" on the controller? I got really good and quick with controller that I can issue 3 characters attacks at the same time. Sometimes if I select the wrong attack type, I can quickly reselect a correct attack before releasing RB. I can't see how voice command can do that quickly and accurately. The way the demo players give voice command, it's almost like they are novice players. Also, why wouldn't Bioware show a live demo on using voice command on stringing up 3 characters attacks quickly. Is Bioware afraid that may not always work properly? I know when showing live demo, you only want to show what's guarantee to work and not show anything that is too complex and doesn't always work.

Did you watch the videos at all? The directing of squadmates was very fluid and easy to do. The great thing is the voice commands are optional so if you want to keep going through menus you can. I for one look forward to using the voice commands.

I use Kinect every day since the dashboard update and I never had a problem with it. The commands "just work", and they free me to multitask while I am navigating menus. I suspect the same thing will happen with Mass Effect 3.
post #129 of 2267 Old 01-19-2012, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 137
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...mass-effect-3/

Awesome, can't wait to use this feature.

post #130 of 2267 Old 01-19-2012, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...mass-effect-3/

Mass Effect 3 delves back to its role-playing game roots and offers the option for more customization in its weapons, armor, and other items, something that was stripped away from the second game. Likewise, the levels aren't as linear as before, allowing for Shepard to approach each area in multiple ways. There's also a greater diversity of enemies to fight, so you aren't bored with the same old Geth or Asari assassins.

That paragraph got me more excited than the voice control. I think ME combat is pretty stale and way too easy, especially when you constantly pause the action to give orders. Hopefully voice controls and game tweaks brings a more fluid gameplay style that is more than "follow linear path of crates and shoot at enemies when they pop up."

XBL: dibs ODDJOB
Wiii: Fibonacci-sequence-like numbers
post #131 of 2267 Old 01-19-2012, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Did you watch the videos at all? The directing of squadmates was very fluid and easy to do.

You mean "quick jump" as jumping over a hole on the floor? I saw in the video that Shepard can finally jump over holes. Took 3 games to learn that.

Using combination of voice command and controller probably are the best way.

My 1st save game was from ME1 exported to ME2 before Bioware announced more details on what gets carried from ME1. So, not all the decisions in ME1 were what I want but that's more realistic. My most recent ME2 saves using the short comic to generate ME1 decisions are too artificial.
post #132 of 2267 Old 01-19-2012, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone seen more recent ME3 promotional videos using the FemShep? All I have seen are a few wallpapers. What is up with Bioware marketing afraid to use both male and female Shepards in promos everywhere.
post #133 of 2267 Old 01-20-2012, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

GameTrailers TV has a special on Mass Effect 3. I watched it this morning. There was not a whole lot of new information, but they did show some new footage from the single player/co-op.

http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/...rs-tv/144?ch=1
post #134 of 2267 Old 01-20-2012, 09:27 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Has anyone seen more recent ME3 promotional videos using the FemShep? All I have seen are a few wallpapers. What is up with Bioware marketing afraid to use both male and female Shepards in promos everywhere.

It's mainly due to the fact that the default male Shep is the "real" Shepard, if you know what I mean. He's been the face of ME from the start.

I have never failed. I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
post #135 of 2267 Old 01-20-2012, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineLove View Post

It's mainly due to the fact that the default male Shep is the "real" Shepard, if you know what I mean. He's been the face of ME from the start.

I think it will be interesting if ME3 brings both male and female Shepard into the story. Male Shepard is the original one and since the rebuilt male Shepard went rogue with Cerberus at the end of ME2, Cerberus made a female clone. I read somewhere the ME3 is the end of Shepard. Original male Shepard dies at the end of ME3 and leaves the female clone as the surviving Shepard. And, Liara is the only "real" Shepard lover.
post #136 of 2267 Old 01-20-2012, 12:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I think it will be interesting if ME3 brings both male and female Shepard into the story. Male Shepard is the original one and since the rebuilt male Shepard went rogue with Cerberus at the end of ME2, Cerberus made a female clone. I read somewhere the ME3 is the end of Shepard. Original male Shepard dies at the end of ME3 and leaves the female clone as the surviving Shepard. And, Liara is the only "real" Shepard lover.

Are you making this stuff up?

post #137 of 2267 Old 01-20-2012, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow, great, thanks for giving away the ending of the game.

XBOX 360-RY35AN
PS3-RY35AN
post #138 of 2267 Old 01-20-2012, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are you making this stuff up?

Just in my dream. I'm saying it will be interesting if such ... is possible. It will also be a way to end the debate which male or female Shepard voice actor is better.
post #139 of 2267 Old 01-21-2012, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
post #140 of 2267 Old 01-21-2012, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 493
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/121/1216707p1.html

the following are excerpts. for full text, refer to the link:

Mass Effect 3 uses Kinect only for voice commands - absolutely no motion recognition is supported. Instead, any command that players previously had to pause the action to access, like Biotic powers, ammo swapping or party member management can now be managed by voice. This allows players full access to Shepherd's suite of combat options without ever pausing the action.

Most important of all is that this Kinect integration just works. When you say sniper rifle, Shepherd switches to his sniper rifle. Saying "Adrenaline Rush" activates the biotic power. Say "James, Move" and your squad mate moves to the location you have pointed out. During the entire demo, I never once had a voice command not register properly.

Out-of-combat gimmickry aside, the ability to play through entire Mass Effect action set-pieces without ever accessing the game's power wheel felt great - it might be hard to go back. Executing complex & lengthy strings of combat used to mean staring at menus more than the game itself. But now it's seamless:

"Liara Stasis. James Frag Grenade." - First enemy down

"Sniper Rifle. Adrenaline Rush." - Line up shots, & enemies two and three are down.

And of course, gamers that want a slower-paced, more strategic Mass Effect experience haven't had that taken away from them. RPG-minded menu divers can still play ME3 in the same style as the first two. My hunch is that most Kinect-owning gamers will probably fall somewhere in the middle. Perhaps swapping ammo on-the-fly via voice, but thoughtfully & safely planning out Biotic combos in the radial menu.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/mass-effect-3/Kinect_Controls

Combat Commands
Command Description
"Switch Weapon" Quick weapon change
"Sniper Rifle" Equip Sniper Rifle
"Shotgun" Equip Shotgun
"Submachine Gun" Equip Submachine Gun
"Assault Rifle" Equip Assault Rifle
"Heavy Pistol" Equip Heavy Pistol
"Sidearm" Equip Sidearm

Exploration Commands

Command Description
"Activate" Interact with panel
"Bypass" Bypass a locked door
"Deactivate" Deactivate a turret
"Examine" Interact with object
"Open" Open doors or cases
"Pick up" Pick up weapons, ammo and items
"Reactivate" Toggle a turret or device on
"Salvage" Salvage parts and materials from an object
"Support" ???
"Talk" Talk to an NPC
"Warn" ???
"Quick Save" Saves the game
Command Description
"Switch Weapon" Quick weapon change
"Sniper Rifle" Equip Sniper Rifle
"Shotgun" Equip Shotgun
"Submachine Gun" Equip Submachine Gun
"Assault Rifle" Equip Assault Rifle
"Heavy Pistol" Equip Heavy Pistol
"Sidearm" Equip Sidearm
Exploration Commands
Command Description
"Activate" Interact with panel
"Bypass" Bypass a locked door
"Deactivate" Deactivate a turret
"Examine" Interact with object
"Open" Open doors or cases
"Pick up" Pick up weapons, ammo and items
"Reactivate" Toggle a turret or device on
"Salvage" Salvage parts and materials from an object
"Support" ???
"Talk" Talk to an NPC
"Warn" ???
"Quick Save" Saves the game

CLASS POWERS

Each class has it's own set of Powers that can be activated via voice commands.

Soldier
Command Description
"Adrenaline Rush" Activates Power
"Concussive Shot" Activates Power
"Frag Grenade" Throw a Grenade
"Incendiary Ammo" Equip Incendiary Ammo
"Disruptor Ammo" Equip Disruptor Ammo
"Cryo Ammo" Equip Cryo Ammo
Secret Voice Commands

BioWare has confirmed there are secret Kinect voice commands in Mass Effect 3. Here is a list of all known secret commands.

Soldier
Command Description
"Boom Stick" Equips Shotgun
post #141 of 2267 Old 01-22-2012, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/121/1216707p1.html

the following are excerpts. for full text, refer to the link:

Mass Effect 3 uses Kinect only for voice commands - absolutely no motion recognition is supported. Instead, any command that players previously had to pause the action to access, like Biotic powers, ammo swapping or party member management can now be managed by voice. This allows players full access to Shepherd's suite of combat options without ever pausing the action.

Most important of all is that this Kinect integration just works. When you say sniper rifle, Shepherd switches to his sniper rifle. Saying "Adrenaline Rush" activates the biotic power. Say "James, Move" and your squad mate moves to the location you have pointed out. During the entire demo, I never once had a voice command not register properly.

Out-of-combat gimmickry aside, the ability to play through entire Mass Effect action set-pieces without ever accessing the game's power wheel felt great - it might be hard to go back. Executing complex & lengthy strings of combat used to mean staring at menus more than the game itself. But now it's seamless:

"Liara Stasis. James Frag Grenade." - First enemy down

"Sniper Rifle. Adrenaline Rush." - Line up shots, & enemies two and three are down.
Soldier
Command Description
"Boom Stick" Equips Shotgun

I really like to see a triple character chaining voice commands. Still, Bioware isn't releasing any sample or do it in gameplay video. If it works, why so scare in showing it? Is it unreliable if chaining more than 2 characters at a time? And correcting misspoken partial voice command and able to quickly reissue a new command without Kinect getting error on the 1st partial misspoken command.

When you watch cool new tech demos on any product, one thing marketing consistently will do is only show simplier part of the tech that works all the time. Anything that is known to be less reliable is kept hidden but yet with marketing, they keep insisting you can push the tech much further and just work. That's the reason I still believe Bioware is hiding something. If not, you are blindly buying into parts of the tech that aren't going to be just work.
post #142 of 2267 Old 01-22-2012, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Has Bioware said anything about ME3 story mode has gone Gold? I'll hope ME3 goes Gold a month before release date so they'll have a patch ready to fix some of the critical bugs immediately. Personally, I don't really care about the co-op multiplayer. Just pointless to be shooting random players all day without any story.

One of the nastiest bug on ME2 for PS3 was save file corruption if you play for too long. Just showing Bioware was only testing the game in segments without long gameplay.
post #143 of 2267 Old 01-22-2012, 09:30 PM
Advanced Member

"Quick save". 3 seconds later. "Quick save". 3 seconds later. "Quick save". 3 seconds later. "Quick save". 3 seconds later. "Quick save". 3 seconds later. "Quick save". 3 seconds later.

XBL: dibs ODDJOB
Wiii: Fibonacci-sequence-like numbers
post #144 of 2267 Old 01-22-2012, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When you watch cool new tech demos on any product, one thing marketing consistently will do is only show simplier part of the tech that works all the time. Anything that is known to be less reliable is kept hidden but yet with marketing, they keep insisting you can push the tech much further and just work. That's the reason I still believe Bioware is hiding something. If not, you are blindly buying into parts of the tech that aren't going to be just work.

It's not even out yet so it doesn't warrant praise or criticism at this point. At this point, all a person can do is have optimism or pessimism.

And there are numerous articles FROM THE PRESS and the vast majority, if not all, have been positive. It seems that it's you that's not doing the research to see whether it's working. It's not Microsoft's or Bioware's job to prove to you whether it works. They put it out there and you determine whether or not it's for you. and you've already clearly determined it's not for you.
post #145 of 2267 Old 01-22-2012, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's not even out yet so it doesn't warrant praise or criticism at this point. At this point, all a person can do is have optimism or pessimism.

And there are numerous articles FROM THE PRESS and the vast majority, if not all, have been positive. It seems that it's you that's not doing the research to see whether it's working. It's not Microsoft's or Bioware's job to prove to you whether it works. They put it out there and you determine whether or not it's for you. and you've already clearly determined it's not for you.

I have been trying to watch every ME3 video demos using voice commands that I can find. So far, I have yet to find one that shows triple character chaining voice commands. If you happen to see one demo, please point it to me. This is one voice command that I will be using a lot when I play the game. And yes, I'm one of those optimist consumer that will not believe the marketing until it's proven. Why? Because there are too many hypes and lies in product to sort out until I know what is true about the product. As for the press who wrote about the praise about a product, it's rare I have seen them trying to test out complex game functions that are advertised. It's like the they try out more basic functionalities and more easily to get impressed. Or, the few who did test out the complex functions and found not to be reliable got edited out or not published.
post #146 of 2267 Old 01-22-2012, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

well, luckily the demo is out in a couple of weeks. we'll all find out soon.

as for optimal voice recognition tips, don't forget that the kinect performs better up high as the mics are below the body. tracking also works better up high as well.

also set the audio calibration with your audio set high as that sets the noise cancellation profile. so if you game with your audio at 30, do your kinect calibration with your volume at least that high.
post #147 of 2267 Old 01-23-2012, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

well, luckily the demo is out in a couple of weeks. we'll all find out soon.

as for optimal voice recognition tips, don't forget that the kinect performs better up high as the mics are below the body. tracking also works better up high as well.

also set the audio calibration with your audio set high as that sets the noise cancellation profile. so if you game with your audio at 30, do your kinect calibration with your volume at least that high.

Yeap. I love to play the demo to see how voice commands work. I got my Kinect as part of the X360 bundle during BF and been wanting a reason in games to use it.
post #148 of 2267 Old 01-31-2012, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
post #149 of 2267 Old 01-31-2012, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

multiplayer looking mighty interesting...
post #150 of 2267 Old 01-31-2012, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Lookin good!
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page