Replacing xbox game controller cable - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-29-2010, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need to repair an xbox wireless controller. It uses 5 wires. I've seen people use a USB cable but given that's only 4 wires I'm assuming that won't work for a replacement.

I understand Category 3E (phone Wire) has 5 wires, but is the gauge enough? It's also kinda flimsy feeling. I'm thinking of using network cable (Ethernet) and only using 5 of the 8 wires in the cable. Is the gauge enough to work?

Or is there a better type of wire I can use?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-29-2010, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't understand the question. You're talking about a wireless controller, but you're asking about the wiring. Are you talking about some sort of internal repair, i.e. a wire break inside the controller? How do you know that this is what's broken?
post #3 of 8 Old 03-29-2010, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slordak View Post

I don't understand the question. You're talking about a wireless controller, but you're asking about the wiring. Are you talking about some sort of internal repair, i.e. a wire break inside the controller? How do you know that this is what's broken?

It's a wireless controller that has about 18 inches of cable from the xbox controller port plug to a wireless transmitter (with game ports). The connection to the actual controller is wireless but there is 18 inches of actual cable that needs to be replaced.
post #4 of 8 Old 03-29-2010, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slordak View Post

How do you know that this is what's broken?

It's pretty obviously the cable since it work's intermittently when you wiggle the cable, and the previous owner's CAT must have left hundreds of teeth marks resulting in exposed copper wiring. Don't ask. I'm fixing this for a friend.

I had a similar issue with the xbox's access point's network cable which was a simple replacement.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-29-2010, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I'm assuming this is for the original xbox, right? If the wireless transmitter is similar to the logitech one I used for my xbox, I would think using the CAT5 cable would be fine...
post #6 of 8 Old 03-29-2010, 10:14 AM
dbc

I'm guessing the wire gauge will be OK with the Ethernet cable.

More importantly, see if you can find some wire management product that will serve like some "armor". Like that nylon spiral that allows you to branch out sections of wire. It's not much protection, but the covering might distract the cat away from the actual cable.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-29-2010, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post

I'm guessing the wire gauge will be OK with the Ethernet cable.

More importantly, see if you can find some wire management product that will serve like some "armor". Like that nylon spiral that allows you to branch out sections of wire. It's not much protection, but the covering might distract the cat away from the actual cable.

Thanks for the idea. There's no more cat to worry about.

I was thinking of picking up some tubular shrink wrap. Basically I just slide over the cable after I've soldered and sealed the connections with electrical tape, then use a hairdryer to shrink the black tube from an inch wide to a quarter inch wide. It's intended for outdoor protection, but for a buck per meter, it'll make it look like it wasn't repaired (hopefully).
post #8 of 8 Old 03-29-2010, 01:54 PM

Liked: 93
You could also just buy a cheap Xbox controller and harvest the wiring from that. If you can find one at a local Gamestop, I'm sure it'd be cheap as they've been trying to unload Xbox for a while now.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page