Gears of War 3!!! - Page 23 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #661 of 943 Old 09-30-2011, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
kabob983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 4,877
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Got to wave 40 on normal before the Berserker kilt me.

"To do a 'Kabob' you have to be both a tease, and a cockblocker. So the person you 'Kabob' gets his/her hopes up only to end up being severely disappointed." -jammybastard

Xbox Live GT - I Kabob I
kabob983 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #662 of 943 Old 09-30-2011, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PiratesCove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Homestead, FL
Posts: 4,076
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabob983 View Post

Got to wave 40 on normal before the Berserker kilt me.

Me too, the Berserker and Lambeth Berserker are the toughest bosses.
PiratesCove is online now  
post #663 of 943 Old 09-30-2011, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Slordak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,996
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What's the story with host migration in Horde mode?

After observing this several times, it seems like when the host drops and a new host is selected, the game resets the score back to zero and knocks the remaining players back many waves. That can't possibly be the way it's supposed to work, and it's not the way it worked in "Gears of War 2". Is there a known bug here, or do all the remaining players basically have to accept that they're going to get shafted if the host drops, making host migration essentially pointless?
Slordak is offline  
post #664 of 943 Old 09-30-2011, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dlconner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,699
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slordak View Post

What's the story with host migration in Horde mode?

After observing this several times, it seems like when the host drops and a new host is selected, the game resets the score back to zero and knocks the remaining players back many waves. That can't possibly be the way it's supposed to work, and it's not the way it worked in "Gears of War 2". Is there a known bug here, or do all the remaining players basically have to accept that they're going to get shafted if the host drops, making host migration essentially pointless?

First week they were having troubles with dedicated servers...I wonder if they still are and the reset is an artifact of that?
dlconner is offline  
post #665 of 943 Old 09-30-2011, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
NoThru22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 9,399
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 112
There was a host change several times in my Horde match last night and it was just a real brief loading lag at the beginning of the next wave.
NoThru22 is offline  
post #666 of 943 Old 09-30-2011, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Slordak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,996
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dlconner, Epic has stated that Horde games are not allowed to make use of dedicated servers. They are always hosted by a player, just as they were in "Gears of War 2". Same for campaign/arcade; dedicated servers are reserved for versus.

Are you sure you're talking about host migration, NoThru22? I've experienced the "two second lag at the start of a wave" thing, but I was under the impression that that's more a question of getting the players synchronized and/or dealing with a player who dropped who was *not* the host. During actual host migration that I've witnessed, players get kicked all the way out to the splash screen, it actually tells you that it's performing host migration, and then rather than resuming like it should (or did in "Gears of War 2"), it kicks the game back to a very early wave and sets the team score to zero. Plainly that's not right; maybe the cases I'm describing are failed migrations and the cases you're describing are successful migrations?
Slordak is offline  
post #667 of 943 Old 09-30-2011, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
NoThru22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 9,399
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 112
I'm not sure, but I thought that's what was happening.
NoThru22 is offline  
post #668 of 943 Old 09-30-2011, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
RKRocha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Garland TX
Posts: 613
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Traded in BLOPS today for GOW3, $20.80 @GS. Anyhow, looking forward to this game as I thoroughly enjoyed GOW1&2. I dont do MP on this, but I will do Horde 2.o and maybe some campaign co-op. cheers!

Are we having fun yet?
RKRocha is offline  
post #669 of 943 Old 09-30-2011, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
kevin g.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,439
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slordak View Post

Dlconner, Epic has stated that Horde games are not allowed to make use of dedicated servers. They are always hosted by a player, just as they were in "Gears of War 2". Same for campaign/arcade; dedicated servers are reserved for versus.

Are you sure you're talking about host migration, NoThru22? I've experienced the "two second lag at the start of a wave" thing, but I was under the impression that that's more a question of getting the players synchronized and/or dealing with a player who dropped who was *not* the host. During actual host migration that I've witnessed, players get kicked all the way out to the splash screen, it actually tells you that it's performing host migration, and then rather than resuming like it should (or did in "Gears of War 2"), it kicks the game back to a very early wave and sets the team score to zero. Plainly that's not right; maybe the cases I'm describing are failed migrations and the cases you're describing are successful migrations?

That is really similar to the host migration in Multi-player...you may be playing all the way to the end of the match, if the host drops, you get the "host migration" thing...the match re-sets, doesn't matter if you were winning, about to win, or getting your arse kicked. Score is now 0-0...
It did the same thing in the beta

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

kevin g. is offline  
post #670 of 943 Old 10-01-2011, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
kjr39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,754
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Anyone interested in a Horde run tonight? 9:30-10:00 eastern.

Salminella has become legend (or something like that): PSN
kjr39 is offline  
post #671 of 943 Old 10-01-2011, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
kabob983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 4,877
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I may be up for it Sal, depends on if the wife has plans or not.

"To do a 'Kabob' you have to be both a tease, and a cockblocker. So the person you 'Kabob' gets his/her hopes up only to end up being severely disappointed." -jammybastard

Xbox Live GT - I Kabob I
kabob983 is offline  
post #672 of 943 Old 10-01-2011, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dlconner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,699
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Same Sal, I should be on later tonight, but not sure if the wife will let me on that early. When I am on, I am game for filling in or joining you though.
dlconner is offline  
post #673 of 943 Old 10-01-2011, 10:56 AM
Member
 
Jets69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Albany, N.Y.
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'll be up for some horde tonight.

gamertag BRO GRIM
Jets69 is offline  
post #674 of 943 Old 10-01-2011, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
coyote_5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 140
I may be on tonight but it won't be til later after the Badger game ends

XBOX Live: Ell Dudereno
coyote_5 is offline  
post #675 of 943 Old 10-01-2011, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
c.kingsley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,664
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slordak View Post

Dlconner, Epic has stated that Horde games are not allowed to make use of dedicated servers. They are always hosted by a player, just as they were in "Gears of War 2". Same for campaign/arcade; dedicated servers are reserved for versus.

Sometimes the versus matches aren't on dedicated servers. I've had several instances playing TDM and KotH ranked where the host drops and it migrates. I don't know if this is the dedicated servers dropping the host, but often when it migrates it becomes a GoW2 host fest where 1 person is practically invulnerable.
c.kingsley is offline  
post #676 of 943 Old 10-01-2011, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Davio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,918
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.kingsley View Post

Sometimes the versus matches aren't on dedicated servers. I've had several instances playing TDM and KotH ranked where the host drops and it migrates. I don't know if this is the dedicated servers dropping the host, but often when it migrates it becomes a GoW2 host fest where 1 person is practically invulnerable.

Same experience here. It's still way too connection dependent in multiplayer and there are far too many games in which I feel like the bullets simply don't register, and others that are not bad at all. I was under the impression dedicated servers would fix it but what, are there like 2 servers total? I'd like to give the game more of my time but realistically now that the campaign is finished and so many other games coming out I'm probably gonna sell this.
Davio is offline  
post #677 of 943 Old 10-02-2011, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
kevin g.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,439
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 57
What type of matches are you playing? Epic has stated the Ranked systems have server priority over standard Quickmatches. Still...I have only had a few games where it has reminded me of G2...Overall, it feels balanced...well thought-out, and has plenty of stuff for everyone.
Things I'd like to see??
More than 12 rounds in Beast
Beast vs. mode...

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

kevin g. is offline  
post #678 of 943 Old 10-02-2011, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
kabob983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 4,877
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sorry I wasn't on Sal, the budget internet was throwing a hissy fit yesterday.

"To do a 'Kabob' you have to be both a tease, and a cockblocker. So the person you 'Kabob' gets his/her hopes up only to end up being severely disappointed." -jammybastard

Xbox Live GT - I Kabob I
kabob983 is offline  
post #679 of 943 Old 10-02-2011, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Nickff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brownsburg, IN
Posts: 1,609
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davio View Post


Same experience here. It's still way too connection dependent in multiplayer and there are far too many games in which I feel like the bullets simply don't register, and others that are not bad at all. I was under the impression dedicated servers would fix it but what, are there like 2 servers total? I'd like to give the game more of my time but realistically now that the campaign is finished and so many other games coming out I'm probably gonna sell this.

I have not experienced this at all.

Mathematics is the reason for the season.

 

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Ogive

Nickff is offline  
post #680 of 943 Old 10-03-2011, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Slordak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,996
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, I can't see how anyone can claim that it's "proper operation" to be on, say, wave 33 in Horde, have the host quit, and suddenly everyone's score is lost and the game goes back to, say, wave 3. Either the game needs to end at that point (i.e. no host migration) and save everyone's progress and score, or the game needs to continue from that point. If a reset is required for technical reasons, the reset shouldn't be any farther back than the start of that wave (with the team score rolled back only to the start of that wave as well).

I've even had it happen now where the team completes, say, 10 waves, and at the screen where it's showing experience and ribbons, the host quits. That is, a quit between sets of 10 waves, which should never break or destabilize the game. However, this in and of itself is enough to cause your score to be lost... It's broken.
Slordak is offline  
post #681 of 943 Old 10-03-2011, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
kjr39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,754
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabob983 View Post

Sorry I wasn't on Sal, the budget internet was throwing a hissy fit yesterday.

No worries. I ended up getting sucked into FIFA.

Salminella has become legend (or something like that): PSN
kjr39 is offline  
post #682 of 943 Old 10-03-2011, 08:56 AM
Senior Member
 
rell323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If there's anyone looking to do waves 41-50 of horde on casual for the achievement, add me.

XBL: Pakman3000 of the mighty mighty USMG

Juicer:

http://www.nextgenupdate.com/forums/...-boosting.html
rell323 is offline  
post #683 of 943 Old 10-03-2011, 09:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,771
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 1449
After finally beating the game last night, there is no way anyone could convince me to take part in any sort of insanity run. Im just not enough of a masochist.

That was by far the most aggravating last boss fight ever.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is online now  
post #684 of 943 Old 10-03-2011, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
c.kingsley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,664
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 202
The end battle is frustrating, but more so if you do it by yourself. If you do it on co-op it is much smoother.

Also, I agree about the problems with horde mode. I actually enjoy it quite a lot, however it is hard to find 5 people who are interested in sticking it out or they just fight over who gets to use the silverback. I've made it to wave 39 with random people but more often than not the host D/Cs and the whole thing dumps the remaining people.
c.kingsley is offline  
post #685 of 943 Old 10-03-2011, 09:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,771
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 1449
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.kingsley View Post

The end battle is frustrating, but more so if you do it by yourself. If you do it on co-op it is much smoother.

Also, I agree about the problems with horde mode. I actually enjoy it quite a lot, however it is hard to find 5 people who are interested in sticking it out or they just fight over who gets to use the silverback. I've made it to wave 39 with random people but more often than not the host D/Cs and the whole thing dumps the remaining people.

I was doing it on coop...that was the problem. The AI teammates are practically invincible and rush to revive you...random coop players...quite the opposite.

Combine that with the occasional achievement whore who joined playing insanity and they would constantly die instantaneously. I basically had to pause the game and tell everyone that I wasn't restarting it until the insanity people hit the road.

They eventually did and I beat it under 2p coop. Took well over an hour.

It was just the combination of the unlimited spawn of the cronies with the OHK ray of death from the boss. I barely had enough ammo to shoot the guys let alone the boss. Really didn't enjoy any part of that battle, and the ending was a real letdown.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is online now  
post #686 of 943 Old 10-03-2011, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
cobolisdead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Prattville, AL
Posts: 1,964
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Had a decent team last night on Horde mode, and got to wave 40 before just giving up due to exhaustion. It took us three hours to get that far, and it just didn't look like we were going to get through that boss wave.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
cobolisdead is offline  
post #687 of 943 Old 10-03-2011, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
p3Orion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Do you guys think that this game will have long lasting appeal or do you see yourself moving onto something else and/or selling it buy year's end/early next year?

I'm considering picking it up if the price drops during the holidays, but wonder if by that time I'll be able to find anyone (here) to play co-op/horde who purchased the game at launch.
p3Orion is offline  
post #688 of 943 Old 10-03-2011, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
NoThru22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 9,399
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 112
I will be levelling up to at least 50 (though I am already at 23) and will be around and playing all of the DLC when it comes out for sure, just like Gears 2.
NoThru22 is offline  
post #689 of 943 Old 10-03-2011, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PiratesCove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Homestead, FL
Posts: 4,076
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3Orion View Post

Do you guys think that this game will have long lasting appeal or do you see yourself moving onto something else and/or selling it buy year's end/early next year?

I'm considering picking it up if the price drops during the holidays, but wonder if by that time I'll be able to find anyone (here) to play co-op/horde who purchased the game at launch.

Definitely long lasting appeal...its just that this and next month have WAY too many AAA titles dropping.

Gears of War 3 gamers will get lost for about two to three months and will "be back in force" early next year.

There will be stiff Multiplayer competition from Battlefield 3, COD Modern Warfare 3, and Halo Anniversary.
PiratesCove is online now  
post #690 of 943 Old 10-03-2011, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
NoThru22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 9,399
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 112
After playing the Battlefield 3 demo, I don't see where THAT stiff competition is coming from!
NoThru22 is offline  
Reply Xbox Area

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off