AVS Forum banner

Alan Wake

12K views 116 replies 41 participants last post by  jhoff80 
#1 ·
I didn't find a thread for this game, which shocked me. This is one of the bigger 360 titles for this year. This was announced at E3 WAY back in 2005. This is a title that I have been looking forward to for some time.

Release: May 18, 2010

Genre: 3rd Person-Action Thriller

Single player only

Developer: Remedy Entertainment

System: 360 only (PC was cancelled)

This is the story (from wikipedia): Wake, a bestselling writer, hasn't managed to write anything in over two years. His wife, Alice, brings him to the idyllic small town of Bright Falls to recover his creative flow. When she vanishes without a trace, Wake finds himself trapped in a nightmare. Word by word, his latest work - a thriller he cannot even remember writing - is coming true before his eyes. At night a powerful dark entity takes overs the town and its inhabitants, Wake's only protection seems to be light. At day things return to normal the townspeople no longer possessed.

Bright Falls, a Live Action Movie!!! If you have a gold account, you can download prequel episodes 1 & 2 right now (4/25) for free. They will be released to all Live members 4/26 and PC (brightfalls.com) on 4/27. There are 6 episodes to be released. One episode will be released per week up to the release date.

I haven't found any good pre-orders. There is a limited edition release with some extras I don't find all that great.

Curious to see how many are interested in this game.

See less See more
#77 ·
I started playing this game because I had nothing else to play. I hate suspense games like this, I hate the whole genre and haven't been able to play any scary game as I find them boring and not scary.

I am soooooo glad I played this game. I was insanely addicted to it. While I did not find any scary momments, the whole combination of using the flashlight to weaken them then shooting them is so cool. Once you get into a rythym it is a blast. I like how some weapons upgrade (shotgun to pump shotgun) and the flashlight to a lantern. Really, really, enjoyed this game, had a blast and couldn't stop playing it until I was finished.

#78 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR /forum/post/18970007

I started playing this game because I had nothing else to play. I hate suspense games like this, I hate the whole genre and haven't been able to play any scary game as I find them boring and not scary.

I am soooooo glad I played this game. I was insanely addicted to it. While I did not find any scary momments, the whole combination of using the flashlight to weaken them then shooting them is so cool. Once you get into a rythym it is a blast. I like how some weapons upgrade (shotgun to pump shotgun) and the flashlight to a lantern. Really, really, enjoyed this game, had a blast and couldn't stop playing it until I was finished.

I beat it yesterday and it was very enjoyable. The best part was on stage at the Farm.

#79 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove /forum/post/18973064

I beat it yesterday and it was very enjoyable. The best part was on stage at the Farm.

This. In my 25 or so years of playing video games, very few moments rate up there with the farm.

#80 ·
The Signal is free if you registered the original game; 560 points for everyone else. I had entered the code from the card that came with the game a while ago and actually received an email from MS yesterday with a new code, which is what I used to get the DLC.

As to the chapter itself, if you liked the main game then you'll like this as well as it is pretty much more of the same. My only complaint is...

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) that by the end of the chapter you seem to be pretty much where you were at the start of the chapter. The action was fun and you do get a few potential clues as to Alan Wake's predicament but the overall story really didn't advance all that much.

Hopefully the next DLC will address some of that.

#82 ·
Can start the signal from the dlc menu or chapter selection.

#84 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey /forum/post/18975798

TonyDP,

I downloaded the Signal but haven't played it yet. I completed AW last week, how would I access this new episode - would I just choose Continue from the main screen ( I realized that was still an option even after I went through the credits and everything)

Like The Red Worm said, you can choose it from the in-game menu that lists all the episodes you completed. Continuing the main game, even after beating it, does not automatically start The Signal.

#86 ·
I'm sure "The Signal" is very good, but I was very excited for it, and then couldn't stop myself from laughing at the first few minutes being a Verizon ad.

The Verizon phone appearing, then the sequence of "Can you hear me now?", combined with the fact that Verizon's newest ad campaign is all about 'the signal' (not the game, but in reference to wireless) were just too funny, it ruined the mood for me.

The in-game advertising up until this didn't bother me in the slightest, but this was over the top.

#87 ·
I'm torn on this game. While I genuinely thought that this was a very nice and fresh mix of action/horror, and there was more than enough well-done moments, it DID get repetative towards the end. The "Finish Mirror Lake in 30 Minutes" achievement should have been changed to the final episode. By then, I found myself simply running the map, eager to have the "adventure" over. Alas, we're left with a feeling of non-accomplishment. Poor Alice.

There's no way in Hell that I'm spending 5,10, 20, 5,000 (?) dollars on DLC in order to string this out longer than necessary and watch Verizon ads until the end of time. Yet another MS cash-grab, ala Game Room or Fable II: The Overpriced Chapters.

#88 ·
I enjoyed the main game and finished it. I was excited about The Signal, but I've played maybe and hour of it and I don't like it. At all. I feel like they changed the game mechanics or something. I just can't get into it. It just seems like they throw you in an area and spawn a bunch of enemies. While it was a bit like that in the main game, I felt the story is what helped it along (for me).

This has me weary of picking up any of the Alan Wake DLC that comes out in the future.

#89 ·
Similar thing happened to me when I tried replaying the game. I loved it when I first played through it, but it quickly lost its luster.

#90 ·
I thought The Signal was a decent piece of DLC but I didn't care for the fact that it seemed to be made up almost exclusively of pre-existing assets so that you really didn't see anything new. I also don't think it moved the storyline forward sufficiently. As a free piece of DLC for registered owners it was adequate but I'm also hesitant to invest in any future DLCs as I'm fearful that Alan Wake's story will simply be milked and strung along, never being fully resolved.

#91 ·
Once I got past that first five minutes feeling like a Verizon commercial, I definitely enjoyed The Signal. I like how it maintained the
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) 'flashlight words'
aspect of the previous chapter, and thought it was a great challenge to continue on with. Sure, it didn't really advance the story, but at the same time, it was sort of the prologue to the DLC chapters. In other words, it had to create the setting so that you can see the stakes for future chapters.

#93 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey /forum/post/19088285

so when is the next DLC going to be out for AW ? I'm debating on whether to trade in the game. I loved the main game, but thought the Signal was just ok

I'd trade in the game NOW and let this one go for good. Not only will you be getting a much better trade-in value by doing this sooner rather than later, but you'll save yourself a bucketload of cash on DLC packs that apparently aren't going to end (or improve) anytime soon.

#94 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey /forum/post/19088285

so when is the next DLC going to be out for AW ? I'm debating on whether to trade in the game. I loved the main game, but thought the Signal was just ok

I'd read that the next DLC was going to be released by the end of August. Personally, I'll be holding on to my copy until I've tried one more DLC for the game; I like the overall story and if the next DLC advances it in a meaningful way I'll hold on to the game. Otherwise, it'll be sold back.

#95 ·
#96 ·
Thanks for the heads up; looking forward to seeing where Alan's adventure goes next.

Alan Wake definitely was one of the strongest single player titles of the year (Enslaved and Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands were two more good story-driven single player game). As someone who enjoys single player games most titles like these are always welcome and I do all I can to support them.

#97 ·
Played through the new dlc late last night, very good, much better than the signal.

Can't wait to hear others thoughts on it.

#98 ·
I finished The Writer earlier tonight. Overall, I liked it. There really wasn't much new here as you once again visit warped and twisted versions of areas you'd been to previously, but the story continued to be well presented and there were a few little new twists to the gameplay.

Alan still isn't out of the woods by the end but he has at least reached a major milestone and it sets things up neatly for the sequel.

#99 ·
I was a really big fan of the
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) spinning rooms that made me feel like I was in a hamster wheel going through rooms

#101 ·
I know I'm late to this game, but a couple quick questions (try to avoid spoilers).

I'm about 1/2 way through Chapter 3 (leaving the coal mine right now). Does the gameplay stay the same? So far, all I've done is go through the woods with the shadow guys popping out here and there (and scrounging for pages or coffee thermoses or piles of cans to knock over). Honestly, I'm kinda bored...

Even what could have been cool surprises (like the chainsaw guy and the possessed bulldozer) was spoiled by finding manuscript pages 2 minutes beforehand that foretold those events were going to happen.

Just curious if it gets better, or if it's all just walking down a very narrow, very linear path in the woods shooting the occasional group of shadow guys that pop out (and are all the same). Oh and occasionally finding a box of goodies or a radio or TV off the beaten path...

So far, can't say as I'm a big fan. I like the acting in the cutscenes, but Alan's narration during gameplay or while reading manuscript pages is pretty monotone/boring, and the HUD is annoying: they leave the "goal" up the entire time, and tell you exactly what you need to do every step of the way (such as "Talk to so-and-so or "find a flashlight" or "get the keys" then "get the car")....you don't really have to figure anything out on your own.

Anyways, I guess I'm kindof curious to find out what's going on, but I'm pretty bored while playing it....basically playing to get to the next cutscene, I guess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.