Wipe HD For Original Xbox - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-15-2010, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,
I'm getting rid of my original Xbox and wanted to know if there's a way to wipe the hard drive or if I need to? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-15-2010, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Why would you need to? If its the original I would either donate it, chuck it, or keep it in hopes 30 years from now some geek pays big bucks for it.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-15-2010, 02:44 PM

Liked: 93
Original Xbox' are still extremely useful as media streamers and for people that just never got in to gaming last generation that don't have an HD display. As for wiping? I don't recall a method aside from selecting each individual savegame and hitting Delete. You can select all saves for every game in one shot though, so it's just a matter of booting the box with no game in it, selecting the hard drive and going through your list of games.
post #4 of 5 Old 05-15-2010, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, for the replies, it's been so long since I used it I didn't know if it had any kind of personal info on it or anything.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-15-2010, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 197
I don't know what would be useful to anyone on it that could harm you.

Even if you have a old Live profile still on there, there's no way to log in with it anymore and I don't think cc information associated with a XBL account was ever stored on the console itself anyways (Rather, it was part of your account's information stored by Microsoft on their servers).

And if you have some nice DLC on there, that's a plus when it comes to selling it since it will increase the value of the unit since it's not easily available now unless you mod the console.

So if you have things like the Project Gotham 2 booster packs, any XBLA games for the original Xbox (There were probably about 25 games releases for the original XBLA), and so on, I'd make sure to advertise the fact if you're selling it yourself on somewhere like Ebay and just aren't trading it in to some independent game store (GameStop doesn't accept Xbox 1 trade ins now, and they wouldn't of cared anyways since they always cleared the drives before reselling it).

If you have any concerns, delete any XBL profiles still present since there isn't going to be any sensitive personal information in your game saves. No need to clear the drive, the next owner down the line might be appreciative that there's some DLC, game updates, etc. on it if they have any of the same games you did.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page