Blur: Powered-Up Racing - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 05-27-2010, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Got my copy of Blur yesterday- enjoying it so far. Haven't been able to get a 4-players-on-one-screen multiplayer going yet, but hopefully this weekend. In Xbox Live multiplayer there's an automatic progression [from 'fans' you earn each race] up to level 50, then you have the choice to 'reset' to 1 and gain a bonus car in single player... and you can do that 10 times, like prestiging in COD.

In single player you earn 'lights' to open up new courses and bosses; you get 5 lights for 1st, 4 for 2nd, and 3 for 3rd. You can get extra lights for getting a certain number of fans in a race, and for completing a 'fan run' in each race which is like an impromptu slalom event.

There are normal races using power-ups, checkpoint races alone against the clock, and 'destruction' events where you must destroy other cars to keep the clock going and reach a set amount of points. Supposedly there are 30 different race courses, but the achievement only mentions 14 'locations'... however some cities [like L.A.] have more than just one course in them.

Anybody else get it yet? Thoughts? I'm not a huge racing game fan, but this seemed to be the closest to MarioKart I could get [although note there is Sega All-stars Racing now as well]. It also allows you to make challenges, and invite friends to try and beat them... waiting for a couple buddies to get their copies to try that out as well.

To my uneducated eyes, it seems to be very well done graphically, haven't noticed any slowdowns/stuttering when the 20 racers are all firing off powerups [in single player or multiplayer over Live]. Surround sound is helpful when incoming attacks sneak up from behind [sometimes the warning signal doesn't go off].

Final note, got a laugh out of a race where I used the 'shunt' power-up a bunch of times [it is a large, seeking red ball that destroys the guy in front of you, not unlike MarioKart's 'red shells']. I won the award for 'Crimson Carapace'...

"We've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas." - Agnes Mona Flanders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-27-2010, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Tried the demo and was pretty unimpressed, hope the retail version has more meat to it and less "you're half a mile ahead...wait, now you're half a mile behind" crap.

"To do a 'Kabob' you have to be both a tease, and a cockblocker. So the person you 'Kabob' gets his/her hopes up only to end up being severely disappointed." -jammybastard

Xbox Live GT - I Kabob I
post #3 of 19 Old 05-27-2010, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 30
There were some other opinions posed on this thread old Blur thread. (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...highlight=blur)

I thought it has it's good moments, but the randomness drove me a bit nuts. Being in first place for 3/4s of the lap only to get knocked all the way to the rear of the pack because of a single power-up. While I did get how that can be exciting - almost like a boxing match where you can be down but you're not out - it proved a bit frustrating and turned me off from the game.

But, overall, like you said it really is like a souped up MarioKart for those not wanting to drive a cutesy little car.

-JR
post #4 of 19 Old 05-28-2010, 12:19 AM

Liked: 93

Penny Arcade tells you Everything You Need To Know About Blur.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/5/28/
post #5 of 19 Old 05-28-2010, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

'Tycho' sums it up well:

"Blur is marvelous, even though these might as well be real power-ups.

IGN delivered as much savagery as the game is likely to receive in review form, and if absolute dominion over your opponents is the only way you're able to experience pleasure, you might find yourself writing a similar piece. People play games for different reasons - this is part of the reason we have done this strip. Can you come to terms with bull****? How about luck? Do you recognize it as a distinct form of energy that sometimes informs events? Can you accept that every Goddamned day isn't Christmas? Among other things, this means that you are an adult. As a corollary, you might find Blur very difficult to put down.

A very long, very complete public beta means that players on the 360 are already deeply familiar with the game - we had to educate Erika on its manifold virtues, as she generally gets down on the PS3. If you like Mario Kart, but don't like Blue Shells; if you like racing games, but wish that the cars would occasionally explode, then boy do I have a multiplayer product for you.

When I started playing during the beta, I liked Shunts as a pick-up: fire and forget balls of seeking plasma that let me focus on the driving task. The longer I've played, though, the more I've been drawn to Bolts - trios of jolting darts with tremendous effective range that do serious damage to an opponent's line. Based on where I am in the standings, or how vindictive I'm feeling, I might choose one over the other. And you get to choose, because they aren't random pickups. Every lap is an exercise in strategic dynamism.

The races we're in often break into "cliques," warring strata unique to your segment of the pack, and just beating the person in front of you at that moment is a worthy task. The only real loser in a round of Blur is the person in last place, because so much can happen (particularly in a 20 person game) that you can't actually control all of it, and also, there's another race in like fifty seconds. Plus, everything you do is ticking up your progression, which gives you more cars, "mods," and gametypes. So maybe it's okay if you don't win?

Blur, from Bizarre Creations: the first post-modern racer.

Our experience online with the game has been that concurrency is much lower, on average, than it was during the beta. On the one hand, obviously - the beta didn't cost anything. But I hope that number is being misreported, somehow, that users are trickling out of this accounting, because I intend to play this game for a good long while and I need prey."

Also liking the 'Previously on Blur' that pops up whenever you start up the game, letting you know about latest unlocks and what you're getting close to unlocking next. Those 20-player races are always a good time.

post #6 of 19 Old 05-28-2010, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

Penny Arcade tells you Everything You Need To Know About Blur.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/5/28/

Absolutely spot on!

"To do a 'Kabob' you have to be both a tease, and a cockblocker. So the person you 'Kabob' gets his/her hopes up only to end up being severely disappointed." -jammybastard

Xbox Live GT - I Kabob I
post #7 of 19 Old 05-31-2010, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I have no idea how the game is, but the commercial is great...

Salminella Now Better with Kinect: 360 PSN

Official member and mascot of the AVS' Xbox 360 Elite Club of Awesomeness
post #8 of 19 Old 06-08-2010, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I maxed out to the beta limit of 15 and, for my tastes, it was pretty fun. I like that it is a little tricked out and that the alternate routes aren't always obscured behind some "hit this trash can, ramp through the window in this building" kind of gymnastics. Drifty cars will take some time to get a handle on, but the courses aren't as narrow as Dirt rally maps which drove me crazy and repeatedly off-course.

Learning the course probably helps, but you can substitute a shield power-up for breaking so that when you slam into the wall on a tight corner you just slow down without gimping your car. When you wreck and watch six cars pass you by, it can be therapeutic to fire off a shunt or any of the other projectiles.

It can get a little nuts with ten or more cars, and I can appreciate how that might not be everyone's style, but it adds to the chaos and the cluster that makes for wheels-off fun.

I like driving games, but some of the simulations offer too steep a learning and experience curve to get nice rides. Burnout Paradise caught my attention, but I didn't like driving around to find races.

Anyway, this may be one game that gets past demo stage for us - and may help me ween the younger "drivers" around here off Mario Kart.

"I am aware that this Thread is rather old but I still want to make a reply."
post #9 of 19 Old 06-08-2010, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cueCrew View Post

I maxed out to the beta limit of 15 and, for my tastes, it was pretty fun. I like that it is a little tricked out and that the alternate routes aren't always obscured behind some "hit this trash can, ramp through the window in this building" kind of gymnastics. Drifty cars will take some time to get a handle on, but the courses aren't as narrow as Dirt rally maps which drove me crazy and repeatedly off-course.

Learning the course probably helps, but you can substitute a shield power-up for breaking so that when you slam into the wall on a tight corner you just slow down without gimping your car. When you wreck and watch six cars pass you by, it can be therapeutic to fire off a shunt or any of the other projectiles.

It can get a little nuts with ten or more cars, and I can appreciate how that might not be everyone's style, but it adds to the chaos and the cluster that makes for wheels-off fun.

I like driving games, but some of the simulations offer too steep a learning and experience curve to get nice rides. Burnout Paradise caught my attention, but I didn't like driving around to find races.

Anyway, this may be one game that gets past demo stage for us - and may help me ween the younger "drivers" around here off Mario Kart.

I have been enjoying the hell out of this game! I am most def picking this up. Is the whole full game only multi player online or is there more to it?

Gamertag: BaneAssassin
PSN: BaneAssassin
post #10 of 19 Old 06-08-2010, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrooveRite View Post

I have been enjoying the hell out of this game! I am most def picking this up. Is the whole full game only multi player online or is there more to it?

There's a campaign with power-up races, checkpoint races, and 'destruction' races. Beating the bosses opens up maxed-out cars to use in multiplayer. But I'm having the most fun in the online multiplayer portion for sure. Even their version of 'Battle Mode' can be pretty fun with 20 people at a time.

post #11 of 19 Old 06-08-2010, 09:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mguy5 View Post

There's a campaign with power-up races, checkpoint races, and 'destruction' races. Beating the bosses opens up maxed-out cars to use in multiplayer. But I'm having the most fun in the online multiplayer portion for sure. Even their version of 'Battle Mode' can be pretty fun with 20 people at a time.

Nice!

Gamertag: BaneAssassin
PSN: BaneAssassin
post #12 of 19 Old 08-03-2010, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

For anyone who bought this and hasn't played it in a while, Amazon is offering $24.75 in trade-in credit for Blur. Last week it was $16.

Xbox Live GT - I Kabob I
post #13 of 19 Old 08-04-2010, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabob983 View Post

For anyone who bought this and hasn't played it in a while, Amazon is offering $24.75 in trade-in credit for Blur. Last week it was $16.

Damn that's pretty good since I got this at Best Buy for $12!

Though the wife and I thoroughly enjoy this game. I don't think I'll be returning it any time soon!
post #14 of 19 Old 08-04-2010, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
now i wish i used the manufacturer coupon and just traded it to amazon. i didnt even think of that.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #15 of 19 Old 08-05-2010, 05:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
This game is awesome...will not be trading it in anytime soon either.
post #16 of 19 Old 08-05-2010, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Too much randomness for me. I love racing games but this one is 95% luck, which I can't abide.

Xbox Live GT - I Kabob I
post #17 of 19 Old 08-05-2010, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

If any thing. It makes them look like complete jack asses. Since they essentially stole the idea and all it is. Well its mario kart with cars instead. Blur bombed any ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjr39 View Post

I have no idea how the game is, but the commercial is great...

post #18 of 19 Old 08-06-2010, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 54
It did bomb pretty much, but I still play it online MP all the time. It's my favorite late night and drunk game ha ha, just because it's so random. It's still fun though and there's still always about 1000 people online at any given time.

XBOX 360 - KrazeeEyezKeith

PS4 - KrazeeKeith

post #19 of 19 Old 08-06-2010, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I enjoyed the hell out of the MP for this one! Compared to Split Second, where you simply get left at the pack of the pack unless you've unlocked the better vehicles in SP, at least you get the feeling you're still in the game with Blur at any given time.

Blu Ray... 3-D TV... 4K... I Like New STUFF!!!

Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page