Microsoft Xbox 360 Kinect Official Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1759 Old 10-19-2010, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
And YOU GET A KINECT! AND YOU GET A KINECT! AND YOU GET A KINECT!

http://www.i4u.com/41153/xbox-360-kinect-will-go-oprah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1759 Old 10-19-2010, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthjames View Post

There is still some truth to the standing vs sitting issue. Some (Kinect Adventures, Kinect Sports, Kinect JoyRide, Dance Central, Your Shape: Fitness Evolved) games require that you stand while playing. Some apps (Zune, Last.FM, Video Kinect, the Kinect Hub, the main dashboard) can be controlled while sitting or standing. And some apps frustrating enough don't work with Kinect at all (e.g. the new Netflix app). This isn't to say that games in the future wont be able to do both - just dont expect it at launch.

I understand the current limitations but I also understood what the initial quote meant. The functionality was a work in progress, nothing more. Additionally, just because Kinect can track you while seated doesn't mean all games will be developed to work with you in that position. I expect games designed for Standing Only will be developed throughout Kinect's life.

Maybe they'll have to establish more color coding to differentiate between Standing and Couch Kinect games. We wouldn't want someone to accidentally buy Kinect Jump-a-Thon only to discover it can't be played sitting down

Gamer Tag: Todd Stevens
post #273 of 1759 Old 10-19-2010, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

there is still some truth to the standing vs sitting issue. Some (kinect adventures, kinect sports, kinect joyride, dance central, your shape: Fitness evolved) games require that you stand while playing.

omg!!!1!!11!!!! You mean i can't play dancing games or fitness workout games while sitting on my arse on the couch and eating cheezy-poofs?!?!?!?!?!?!? Micro$oft $uck$!!!!1!!!1!!! This is an outrage!!!!! Sign my online petition!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!!

edit: what the hey? that sarcastic post was made with ALL CAPS for even better comedic effect. The forum software went ahead and "de-capiffied" it auto-magically!
post #274 of 1759 Old 10-19-2010, 11:15 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Flatus View Post

omg!!!1!!11!!!! You mean i can't play dancing games or fitness workout games while sitting on my arse on the couch and eating cheezy-poofs?!?!?!?!?!?!? Micro$oft $uck$!!!!1!!!1!!! This is an outrage!!!!! Sign my online petition!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!!

edit: what the hey? that sarcastic post was made with ALL CAPS for even better comedic effect. The forum software went ahead and "de-capiffied" it auto-magically!

Yes. Screw M$ and their desire to ruin gaming by getting people off their rear ends!
post #275 of 1759 Old 10-19-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorax View Post

Maybe they'll have to establish more color coding to differentiate between Standing and Couch Kinect games. We wouldn't want someone to accidentally buy Kinect Jump-a-Thon only to discover it can't be played sitting down

Yeah. I'd imagine they'll put something on the back of the box to avoid lawsuits from handicapped/physically challenged individuals who like to file lawsuits against mega corporations.
post #276 of 1759 Old 10-19-2010, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameboy View Post

That is a big deal (and something I predicted would happen). Oprah will sell it to moms as a game system that gets their kids off their asses and lose some weight and the kids will love it because its an xbox.
post #277 of 1759 Old 10-19-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagouar View Post

That is a big deal (and something I predicted would happen). Oprah will sell it to moms as a game system that gets their kids off their asses and lose some weight and the kids will love it because its an xbox.

They need to do Oprah and more broad advertising. I'm shocked they started so late given the lack of knowledge around what Kinect is amongst the general population.

Rumor has it tho that the Kinect media blitz begins this week. I'm sure we'll all be sick of hearing about it come thanksgiving.

They'll also get Moms to buy it for themselves with the Fitness game, and Dance Central. Women like dancing.
post #278 of 1759 Old 10-19-2010, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:

They need to do Oprah and more broad advertising. I'm shocked they started so late given the lack of knowledge around what Kinect is amongst the general population.

Rumor has it tho that the Kinect media blitz begins this week. I'm sure we'll all be sick of hearing about it come thanksgiving.

They'll also get Moms to buy it for themselves with the Fitness game, and Dance Central. Women like dancing.

Kinect has been in the news since it was first announced last year as Project Natal. It has been on late night and Good Morning America. In addition it has been all over the US in Macy stores so advertisement besides commercial had been going on.

The 5.0 is here
post #279 of 1759 Old 10-19-2010, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameboy View Post

The 5.0 is here
post #280 of 1759 Old 10-19-2010, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

Kinect has been in the news since it was first announced last year as Project Natal. It has been on late night and Good Morning America. In addition it has been all over the US in Macy stores so advertisement besides commercial had been going on.

those little segments don't mean much without repetition, especially segments like GMA which gloss over numerous products. People that watch GMA don't have an attention span greater than 24 hours.

MS has never advertised anything on the scale of what Apple does. You can't go an hour on TV or read a newpaper that doesn't have an iPad or iPhone or iPod ad. It paid off. For all the high overhead of advertising, there's more than enough profit with those devices that have a 30+% profit margin.

MS usually advertises like Nintendo and Sony by focusing on the niche tech/gaming audiences and targeting the gaming press, tech blogs, retail gaming stores, etc. They've focused on targeting the kids and having the kids tell the parents what to buy. It's far more cost effective than TV ads (which honestly don't deliver bang for the buck when a 30 second ad can cost hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars).

I think Kinect and WP7 will be the first time that they truly make a splash on TV. But it's almost November and there hasn't been any ads for Kinect yet. Halo had a lot of TV ads. But even the I'm a PC ads only stayed on the air for less than a couple of months. And does anyone ever see a Windows 7 ad? They aired some when the OS first debuted but now you never see a Windows ad.
post #281 of 1759 Old 10-19-2010, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

Right its just not Monday Night Football or UFC fight night advertising. I can't remember what I was watching, but it was something non sporty where there was a Kinect commercial (or some sort of Target/department store type commercial that mentioned Kinect. I was suprised as video game comercials would not normally be on for that show. Though i guess I could have been watching xmen on DisnXDH.
post #282 of 1759 Old 10-19-2010, 09:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
i wanna thank XBOX for showing us KEEEEEEEEEEEEneck.

75% of these free xboxs and KEEEEEEEEEEneck units will end up on ebay.
post #283 of 1759 Old 10-20-2010, 01:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Face View Post

i wanna thank XBOX for showing us KEEEEEEEEEEEEneck.

75% of these free xboxs and KEEEEEEEEEEneck units will end up on ebay.

nyah. these xboxes mean that mom is done with shopping for the kids. that's priceless.
post #284 of 1759 Old 10-20-2010, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Those audiences on Ellen and Oprah go crazy if they get a free box of Cheerios.

Argee
post #285 of 1759 Old 10-20-2010, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Thats pretty funny Argee ha ha ha.

Just found out today while buying DJ Hero 2 and Fallout Vegas that the wife preordered Kinect when I told her not to. Oye, when will she learn. This better be good.
post #286 of 1759 Old 10-20-2010, 12:56 PM

pre ordered the Kinect myself as well. This is my last hope of including the wife in gaming. She doesnt play video games but she did like Wii bowling so Im hoping she has a lot of fun with this. Plus my son will dig this as well.

XBL : FrccDirtyNeedlz
Elite Club of Awesomeness
post #287 of 1759 Old 10-20-2010, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

not interested myself. but the game looks interesting for those who are into these boarding games. it's got the greatest sense of speed of the first releases. Sonic was always about speed so maybe this is the best use for him. the normal 3D platforming with Sonic was just terrible.

curious how this compares with that other boarding game by Konami (Adrenalin Misfits).

I feel bad for the Tony Hawk peripheral. Last year it bombed because they rushed the software and it was expensive. This year, it might get eclipsed by Kinect and others.
post #288 of 1759 Old 10-26-2010, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

The 5.0 is here
post #289 of 1759 Old 10-26-2010, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

post #290 of 1759 Old 10-26-2010, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

1800 pieces of Kinect were put on sale, they all disappeared in less than 15 minutes!

HSN, a teleshopping brand in the US had put on a offer where customers were able to Purchase a bundle pack which included A Xbox 360 4 GB Slim, A Kinect sensor and Kinects Adventure, a copy of Harmonix and a Cleaning CD. You could get all of this for $429.95 but it was a limited offer with only 1800 pieces of Kinect available for sale.
They were sold out in less than 15 minutes over live television which gives us an insight of how popular Kinect is in the US. IT also revealed another interesting fact that they are willing to pay a price to own the “revolutionary” tech since the retail worth of this bundle would hardly sum up to around $359 but noone complained while coughing out $430 in order to get the pleasure of getting their hands on the product before anyone else.Kinect’s already succeeded in building up enough hype and looks like it’s ready for action when it release on Nov 9.

http://gamingbolt.com/1800-kinects-s...s-retail-chain

DAMN

The 5.0 is here
post #291 of 1759 Old 10-26-2010, 05:27 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

We got the 250 gig & 4 gig Kinetic 360 today at my BB in Milpitas, CA.

The #1 spot for gaming headphones/headsets/Mic mods/DH 5.1/links & more.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...494101?sk=info
post #292 of 1759 Old 10-26-2010, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBI View Post

We got the 250 gig & 4 gig Kinetic 360 today at my BB in Milpitas, CA.

We got our shipment at BB in Little Rock on Friday.

The 5.0 is here
post #293 of 1759 Old 10-26-2010, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

OMG the greatest basketball player of all time Michael Jordan's favorite game is Kinectimals LMFAO.

The 5.0 is here
post #294 of 1759 Old 10-26-2010, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OMG the greatest basketball player of all time Michael Jordan's favorite game is Kinectimals LMFAO.

It must suck to have the same name as arguably the greatest basketball player ever, but that guy is definitely not His Airness...
post #295 of 1759 Old 10-27-2010, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

It must suck to have the same name as arguably the greatest basketball player ever, but that guy is definitely not His Airness...

Isn't that Jordan's son though?

The 5.0 is here
post #296 of 1759 Old 10-27-2010, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

http://uk.gamespot.com/shows/now-pla...kinect20101026

1hr footage of Kinect Games

The 5.0 is here
post #297 of 1759 Old 10-27-2010, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

http://uk.gamespot.com/shows/now-pla...kinect20101026

1hr footage of Kinect Games

wow. an hour is crazy long for a vid.

you know what kind of app could potentially do great? with the kinect, they could do a movie creation program like xtranormal. people love to make videos. and with kinect, you could superimpose characters and be like a superhero. that augmented reality stuff that people talk about. and record audio. I don't know how much time my friends spent making xtranormal videos. most of the time, people thought it was cool to convert text to cuss words. but the potential is great.

that hamster part of kinect adventures has part of the ideas I thought of but I think you could totally flesh out the program.
post #298 of 1759 Old 10-27-2010, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

mpuggy's comment: This is just a quick video of the kinect tv mount on my tv... Glad i was able to preorder and get it early now i just have to attach it to the top. PS the top part of the mount where the kinect sits is adjustable it can slide back and forward to adjust smaller and larger flat screens.

The legs dont goto the floor they just goto the back of the tv mounting screws and I think it is deff worth the 40.00 considering it will give me an extra foot and half playspace. Microsoft said the higher the better for the mount. It also seems very very sturdy once you tighten it.
post #299 of 1759 Old 10-27-2010, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Isn't that Jordan's son though?

His 2 sons are Jeffrey Michael and Marcus.

So that son's name is a play on his own name since his full name is Michael Jeffrey Jordan and the son's name is Jeffrey Michael Jordan.

Neither are old enough to be in the NBA. They're both in college, and the caption in the vid said NBA player. I just checked nba.com. the only current nba player that is a jordan is DeAndre Jordan. So I have no clue who that guy was. Maybe it was his son and they mislabeled him.

Too bad they didn't have Kobe at the LA launch event. Guess he was gearing up for the NBA season premiere.
post #300 of 1759 Old 10-28-2010, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

mpuggy's comment: This is just a quick video of the kinect tv mount on my tv... Glad i was able to preorder and get it early now i just have to attach it to the top. PS the top part of the mount where the kinect sits is adjustable it can slide back and forward to adjust smaller and larger flat screens.

The legs dont goto the floor they just goto the back of the tv mounting screws and I think it is deff worth the 40.00 considering it will give me an extra foot and half playspace. Microsoft said the higher the better for the mount. It also seems very very sturdy once you tighten it.

My TV is pretty high off the ground 6.5 feet to the top of the TV I believe. Does the kinect TV mount tilt forward at all?
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page