Microsoft Xbox 360 Kinect Official Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1759 Old 11-05-2010, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I think this is a pretty good review and agree with most of it...

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/3..._Microsoft.php
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1759 Old 11-05-2010, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Has anyone tried Motion Sports? The hang gliding and skiing in the video look fun.

Frank J. Cone

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

post #633 of 1759 Old 11-05-2010, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need help!

I want to buy the "bundle" so that I can play on my current Xbox 360's. Problem, my Xbox 360's are located in an equipment closet. I am willing to have a wire come out of the closet, and go to the Kinect below the display (about 15 feet). and then a power plug go from the kinect to an outlet near the display. Can I use a normal USB extension? Is anyone doing this now, and if so, which one?

HEre's a photo of the room (there is now a mantle above the fireplace, and the center channel is placed on it, the XBOX is in the double door closet behind the two chairs.):

post #634 of 1759 Old 11-05-2010, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBusiness View Post

Need help!

I want to buy the "bundle" so that I can play on my current Xbox 360's. Problem, my Xbox 360's are located in an equipment closet. I am willing to have a wire come out of the closet, and go to the Kinect below the display (about 15 feet). and then a power plug go from the kinect to an outlet near the display. Can I use a normal USB extension? Is anyone doing this now, and if so, which one?

HEre's a photo of the room (there is now a mantle above the fireplace, and the center channel is placed on it, the XBOX is in the double door closet behind the two chairs.):

I used a USB extension I had paying around. It worked fine. The thing is awesome you'll love it!

post #635 of 1759 Old 11-05-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:

Need help!

I want to buy the "bundle" so that I can play on my current Xbox 360's.

First off - BEAUTIFUL space!

Now, keep in mind, if you buy one of the bundles (i.e. console + kinect) you will *NOT* be able to use the Kinect sensor with your current XBox 360's - unless they are the newer 'kinect ready' "S" or slim model XBox's.

The console+kinect bundles do *NOT* ship with the power supply cable that is required for use on older XBox 360's.

I (and many others) learned this the hard way with the 250GB S + Kinect bundle that I pre-ordered.

The 'good news' is that supposedly MS will now start selling the kinect power supply separately ($39.99). However, it was supposed to be up on the MS Store today, and it is not there yet.

ALSO, as I type this, I'm on hold with XBox Support because after having ordered this power supply from them yesterday, and them charging me $42 for it - I got an e-mail today saying it was a "service request" - and that I needed to send my Kinect sensor in to them!! OH VEY!!

Annnnnnnnnnnd - i just got disconnected so I'll have to go thru the whole XBox Support circus again.

Anyway - point being - do NOT buy the bundle just to get your hands on a Kinect to use with your existing 360's... it won't work.. you'll need the power supply - which I haven't been able to locate successfully yet.

P.S - if you buy JUST the Kinect camera by itself you WILL get the needed power supply.
post #636 of 1759 Old 11-05-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_In_FL View Post

First off - BEAUTIFUL space!

Now, keep in mind, if you buy one of the bundles (i.e. console + kinect) you will *NOT* be able to use the Kinect sensor with your current XBox 360's - unless they are the newer 'kinect ready' "S" or slim model XBox's.

The console+kinect bundles do *NOT* ship with the power supply cable that is required for use on older XBox 360's.

I meant the "bundle" that is Kinect + game. But I hear ya on the frustration. Now poking around the office to see if there are any USB extensions around...
post #637 of 1759 Old 11-05-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchot View Post

Huh? I was just responding to the poster that his smaller kids seemed to be more thrilled with the Kinect than the rest of the family.

For the record, I have a Wii with MotionPlus which I hardly ever play anymore because I'm disappointed with the lack of good games and the responsiveness of the controller.)

A Playstation 3 with the Move which I enjoy, but I wish there were more and better games to use with the Move, so my enthusiasm for it is fading.

An X-Box 360 which I use regularly and really enjoy. I'm trying to determine if I should get the Kinect because I'm looking for some sports games and anything else that will put me "into" the action.

(Sorry if I hurt the feelings of the fan-boys by questioning the usefulness of the Kinect or asking if it has any flaws.)

thats not what i said at all?!?! this thing is like digital crack for everyone in my house. My sweetheart loving girl now plays video games because of this thing. My kids... Yes ALL 3 of them, cant get enough... they wake up extra early for school now just to get a change to play it before they leave lol. of course as soon as they pile in from school they run right to it and turn it on. they even ask if they can do chores to earn money for more games, DUDE.... I LOVE THIS THING LOL

Help a Family in need, Show Them We Care! Like it on Facebook and tweet it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #638 of 1759 Old 11-05-2010, 02:54 PM

Liked: 11
I'm starting to feel very fortunate that I bought my new slim when they first came out... I, too, would have had the problem with needing the missing power supply.
post #639 of 1759 Old 11-05-2010, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

last time I presale with Bestbuy. Delivery 11/10 WTF????

Xbox live- SER 182
Mix Cloud

post #640 of 1759 Old 11-05-2010, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 497

you could get the kinect floor stand and use a usb extension cord. that way, you only bring out the kinect when you want to use it. the pole extends to 2.5 feet, i think.

but if you want a more permanent setup and plan on using the kinect for voice control and hand gestures as well as do the video chat, i'd use the wall mount and use an extension cable and put it under your tv if i had your setup. you can even use the kinect to hide your wall plug. normally, the higher the better but since your tv is so high, you're definitely going to be putting the kinect underneath.

post #641 of 1759 Old 11-05-2010, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ser182 View Post

If you got the expedited shipping that sucks. At this point consider yourself lucky that you have one. This is a great move by MS. Everyone will get to use it at Thanksgiving then want one at Christmas.

I'm heading out to pick up Joy Ride and Kinectimals tomorrow. I didn't expect to like this half as much as I do.

So far Adventures, Sports, and Dance Central are so much fun. I have to get more titles for parties.

post #642 of 1759 Old 11-05-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ser182 View Post

So I had release day delivery from amazon and you know what they shipped? I F---ING shipping label. That was like a big slap in the face. I got Dance Central and a shipping label. So now my replacement will get here when it gets here. Suppose to be Monday but according to Amazon.com they are out of stock. This has been the worst experience that I have ever had with Amazon.
post #643 of 1759 Old 11-05-2010, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeytown Fan View Post

thats not what i said at all?!?! this thing is like digital crack for everyone in my house. My sweetheart loving girl now plays video games because of this thing. My kids... Yes ALL 3 of them, cant get enough... they wake up extra early for school now just to get a change to play it before they leave lol. of course as soon as they pile in from school they run right to it and turn it on. they even ask if they can do chores to earn money for more games, DUDE.... I LOVE THIS THING LOL

Whoa. You're gushing so much about this thing that I hope the enthusiasm for it remains high. (You've only had it for one day, right?) Post back in a month about how many chores your kids did and how many perfect attendance awards they received at school.
post #644 of 1759 Old 11-05-2010, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Man i have never had a problem with Amazon. Some one maybe stole it during shipping? I preordered my black ops with release date delivery. How long does Best buy hold your reservation? I have one on reserve at a local BB?

Xbox live- SER 182
Mix Cloud

post #645 of 1759 Old 11-05-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote_5 View Post

I understand the purpose and I didn't say it was lag or a hardware/software problem. I just don't see a 4 second wait to select an option as a plus. *shrug*

For me it turns the hand motion menu control into a novelty that would soon wear off as I grew tired of that delay every time I selected a menu option. JMO.

I also am not a fan of the "delay to select" menu items. I just stopped between songs in Dance Central, though, to praise Harmonix for their superior menu selection method: highlight and swipe. It's simple and easy: all menu items are in a line, just highlight the one you want and swipe across your body. No delay whatsoever.

MS should hire these guys to program the entire dashboard. Pardon the pun, but those guys rock
post #646 of 1759 Old 11-05-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:

The Kinect now resides on top of my centerchannel, on a mantle not pictured. Connected using a USB extender purchased from Radioshack 16' for $30, and it works great, so far. Wal-Mart, Best Buy, and Office Depot did not have USB extenders over 10'.

My first impressions are that this thing is incredible. I could care less about voice controls (probably because there was an error with test tone calibration upon setup).

The games I've played so far are the soccer, volleyball, bowling, and boxing. They all blow Wii out of the water. Can't wait until they further integrate the technology in to other games.

My one complaint is that the play area is small. I am constantly reminded to move forwardd or back.
post #647 of 1759 Old 11-05-2010, 07:48 PM

JFYI I was in Gamestop today and saw they had power supplies for sale for the Kinect.

XBL : FrccDirtyNeedlz

post #648 of 1759 Old 11-05-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:

Whoa. You're gushing so much about this thing that I hope the enthusiasm for it remains high. (You've only had it for one day, right?) Post back in a month about how many chores your kids did and how many perfect attendance awards they received at school.

nah... not gushing at all over the kinect, maybe my girl but not a toy like this. seeing as you seem to like confrontational type conversations, i can roll like that too!

you know when it was released right? so with your superior intellect deduct how long I've had it, using that type of brain power would have saved you the time it took to type that returded a@@ question. yes... i know its spelled wrong but theres a really good reason..lol.. if you take off the first two and last two letters it tells what your posts smell of.

As far as my kids attendance record is concerned, speaking of, how did you ever get on this subject, did your superior intellect get side tracked? it was perfect till nov 4th cuz i let them skip school and go to the mid night launch for this. even my little one went and shes 4 lol. Had all kinds of Awesomeness thank you very much!

the willingness of my children doing chores does fade in and out and right now, with this, its strong! i completely plan on taking advantage of it to the max!

my entire family is loving the Kinect soooooo much, that i got back from target spending almost 150.00 on more games tonight! it works soooo good that i cant see a day that we dont use it and use it daily! *End super duper Gush*

Help a Family in need, Show Them We Care! Like it on Facebook and tweet it!

post #649 of 1759 Old 11-05-2010, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

nah... not gushing at all over the kinect, maybe my girl but not a toy like this. seeing as you seem to like confrontational type conversations, i can roll like that too!

you know when it was released right? so with your superior intellect deduct how long I've had it, using that type of brain power would have saved you the time it took to type that returded a@@ question. yes... i know its spelled wrong but theres a really good reason..lol.. if you take off the first two and last two letters it tells what your posts smell of.

As far as my kids attendance record is concerned, speaking of, how did you ever get on this subject, did your superior intellect get side tracked? it was perfect till nov 4th cuz i let them skip school and go to the mid night launch for this. even my little one went and shes 4 lol. Had all kinds of Awesomeness thank you very much!

the willingness of my children doing chores does fade in and out and right now, with this, its strong! i completely plan on taking advantage of it to the max!

my entire family is loving the Kinect soooooo much, that i got back from target spending almost 150.00 on more games tonight! it works soooo good that i cant see a day that we dont use it and use it daily! *End super duper Gush*

Ha ha, nice....
post #650 of 1759 Old 11-05-2010, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:

Why are you so worried on he handles his kids and how much he enjoys kinect. Let it go and get a life!!
post #651 of 1759 Old 11-05-2010, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I love it to but this is some kind of bad joke right?

post #652 of 1759 Old 11-05-2010, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

What do you guys think of joy ride and kinectimals?

I have sports, adventures and dance central. They are all great and work nicely in my setup. I enjoyed the joyride demo. Are there unlockables and what not?

post #653 of 1759 Old 11-05-2010, 10:44 PM

Just played some more Dance Central. Now, I really don't know how to dance, but this game is terrific fun; awesome rhythm game on the same level as Rock Band for me. I am hoping they do a similar deal and add new songs/moves as downloadable content.

Harmonix just has a great feel for games. I really, really want to get RB3 with the keyboard controller, but thanks to Kinect I can't afford it right now.
post #654 of 1759 Old 11-05-2010, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtiebird View Post

Just played some more Dance Central. Now, I really don't know how to dance, but this game is terrific fun; awesome rhythm game on the same level as Rock Band for me. I am hoping they do a similar deal and add new songs/moves as downloadable content.

Harmonix just has a great feel for games. I really, really want to get RB3 with the keyboard controller, but thanks to Kinect I can't afford it right now.

They already have DLC up

post #655 of 1759 Old 11-05-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgecrusher View Post

JFYI I was in Gamestop today and saw they had power supplies for sale for the Kinect.

Nice I'll keep checking around here - none of them had any this morning. Actually, I had to describe to 3 different stores the whole point. I was trying to plant the seed to get them to start offering to buy them from customers. lol
post #656 of 1759 Old 11-05-2010, 10:52 PM

FREAKIN MICROSOFT!!!

So, not only do they now have the kinect power supply for sale on their site (finally), but they have it for $5 less than they charged me!! WTH???

http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft...oduct/9A4CFC08
post #657 of 1759 Old 11-05-2010, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 31
For those of you on the fence on buying this because of space, thought it might be helpful for current users to post their space/distance/experience.

Kinect height off ground: 2'5"
Kinect distance from me: 6'3"
My height: 6'4
Space: dark green couch touching my heels, chaise lounge to couch to my left within visual "cone" of Kinect.

My head and feet are entirely cut off from the Kinect "cone". When I stand, in the little box on the lower right of the screen it cuts me off right at my shoulders and about mid-shin.

This hasn't caused any issues with Kinect Adventures, Dance Central, or Kinectimals.

It does cause an issue with visual sign-in, as it doesn't see my face/head in order to sign in. Instead I have to do so manually. So far I'm pretty impressed that I'm pushing the limits for the "good" zone for the Kinect and not having an issue gaming with it.

-JR

post #658 of 1759 Old 11-06-2010, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

What's inside Kinect:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20...ap;editorPicks

Not a webcam by any stretch of the imagination.
Here's the full teardown:
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Micro...eardown/4066/1
post #659 of 1759 Old 11-06-2010, 05:45 AM

Just picked mine up last night, the wife and kid will get more use out of it than I do, but I have some fun playing the sports (realized I am out of shape after some track and field). I could never really get into the wii, and found my friday nights with just me and the boy playing I really think this will be a good family gaming system now.
post #660 of 1759 Old 11-06-2010, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I haven't seen much talk of "Fighters Uncaged", other than the reviews linked. Anyone pick this up and have thoughts on it? I agree with some of the reviewers about the PITA training portion....but aside from that I find it a lot of fun without the lag that is mentioned. I find myself making lots of kicks to the head of my opponent, and not as much boxing.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page