Microsoft Xbox 360 Kinect Official Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
First ... 23  24  25 26  27  ... Last
Xbox Area > Microsoft Xbox 360 Kinect Official Thread
bori's Avatar bori 11:01 PM 11-07-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dja2k View Post

What do you guys think of "Your Shape Fitness Evolved" compared to the yet-to-be-released "EA Sports Active 2"? Do you think the $50 difference in price is really worth it?

dja2k

U shape is awesome

dja2k's Avatar dja2k 11:07 PM 11-07-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

U shape is awesome

So would you say $50 more for Active 2 with its heart rate isn't worth it?

dja2k
JuiceRocket's Avatar JuiceRocket 11:13 PM 11-07-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHDTVDiet View Post

What is the distance from the front of the couch to he kinect sensor on a horizontal plane?

I ask because I have about 6 feet between my couch and the front of the TV. That seems tight, I dont want to be stuck against the couch when moving. The top of the TV is 55'' about 4.5 ft but I guess would sit slightly higher due to its base. This is an XBR projection TV so it sits out away from the wall so I couldnt really mout the senor on the wall.

So a little over 6ft away, sitting alittle over 4ft high. Would this give me enough space with the current gen of Kinect? Or do I wait for 2.0 when they hopefully look at ways to make it useable for more player spaces?

This post from earlier might help you decide. Due to the distance away from the Kinect, and my cough, I am pretty much pressed up against the couch. I'm just within the cone for the Kinect, but it still works well.

Kinect height off ground: 2'5"
Kinect distance from me: 6'3"
My height: 6'4
Space: dark green couch touching my heels, chaise lounge to couch to my left within visual "cone" of Kinect.

My head and feet are entirely cut off from the Kinect "cone". When I stand, in the little box on the lower right of the screen it cuts me off right at my shoulders and about mid-shin.

This hasn't caused any issues with Kinect Adventures, Dance Central, or Kinectimals.

It does cause an issue with visual sign-in, as it doesn't see my face/head in order to sign in. Instead I have to do so manually. So far I'm pretty impressed that I'm pushing the limits for the "good" zone for the Kinect and not having an issue gaming with it.

YMMV of course, but so far so good with my pretty tight space.

-JR
bori's Avatar bori 11:43 PM 11-07-2010
Quote:

So would you say $50 more for Active 2 with its heart rate isn't worth it?

dja2k

Have not tried active but your shape is great. I would look at the reviews.
dja2k's Avatar dja2k 11:51 PM 11-07-2010
Nah I said screw it, just ordered Joy Ride, Your Shape, Dance Central, and Kinectanimals. I had a gaming credit so I paid about $110.00 for all four games and canceled my pre-order of EA Active 2.

dja2k
d3code's Avatar d3code 03:07 AM 11-08-2010
a friend of mine is getting one as well this week, i am still on the fence about it.

1 question that my friend actually has about Kinectimals. does it come with a warning message when booting up, that it will say something like, to do not try to touch tigers in real life or somekind of warning message.

my friends daughter is 4 years old. and he is bit afraid that she get to excited about the game and wants to try to touch real tigers as well.
mboojigga's Avatar mboojigga 03:35 AM 11-08-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3code View Post

a friend of mine is getting one as well this week, i am still on the fence about it.

1 question that my friend actually has about Kinectimals. does it come with a warning message when booting up, that it will say something like, to do not try to touch tigers in real life or somekind of warning message.

my friends daughter is 4 years old. and he is bit afraid that she get to excited about the game and wants to try to touch real tigers as well.

Does he plan on taking his daughter on a safari or something? I am not sure if it has a warning message but it isn't like he as a parent can't teach her the difference.
bassmonkeee's Avatar bassmonkeee 05:36 AM 11-08-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

Does he plan on taking his daughter on a safari or something? I am not sure if it has a warning message but it isn't like he as a parent can't teach her the difference.

No kidding. It sounds like his friend needs a warning message that says, "Don't let your kid near dangerous animals if they are inclined to run and pet them."
Cool Face's Avatar Cool Face 05:52 AM 11-08-2010
well i just finished up another weekend of dance central... and now i want to go clubbin! (does that need a warning?)
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt 06:17 AM 11-08-2010
Quote:

What do you guys think of "Your Shape Fitness Evolved" compared to the yet-to-be-released "EA Sports Active 2"? Do you think the $50 difference in price is really worth it?

dja2k

Isn't that alot more because of the heartrate monitor?
mboojigga's Avatar mboojigga 06:23 AM 11-08-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

isn't that alot more because of the heartrate monitor?

$99. I plan to get Your Shape fitness. I already have the heartrate monitor for Nike/Iphone
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt 06:30 AM 11-08-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

$99. I plan to get Your Shape fitness. I already have the heartrate monitor for Nike/Iphone

I've used Your Shape Fitness a few times since release day. It certainly can give you a good workout. Especially when using the recommended 5 pound weights during the workout.
bassmonkeee's Avatar bassmonkeee 08:51 AM 11-08-2010
Tandem's Avatar Tandem 09:21 AM 11-08-2010
I have an enclosed TV stand with my center channel resting on top. TV is mounted on the wall, 2' back.

Top height of the center speaker: 3'7"
Distance from front of sofa: 9'4" (11+' from the TV)
My height: 6'3"
Room height 8" (but no ceiling fan)

I have all three consoles so what I did is put the Wii sensor bar on top of the speaker at the front edge. The PS3 eye sits behind and touching the Wii sensor. I have the Kinect on a 2" platform slightly to the side so that one of the wings extends over the top of the PS3 eye.

This setup offsets the Kinect by about 3.5" but I don't think it will affect any of the games. Since the Kinect is more about moving around in space, I turned the Kinect a few degees so it is centered on the middle of the play space. I can move around and be seen in the entire play area.

I'll report back if I notice any problems with the location and aiming of the Kinect sensor.
ultracat's Avatar ultracat 09:25 AM 11-08-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmonkeee View Post

http://spong.com/article/22981/Kinec...oft-not-Amused

Well, that didn't take long.

Ha - less than a week!
WilliamR's Avatar WilliamR 09:27 AM 11-08-2010
This thing is soooo freaking cool. We are loving it.

Kinect sports rocks!!!
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt 09:41 AM 11-08-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmonkeee View Post

http://spong.com/article/22981/Kinec...oft-not-Amused

Well, that didn't take long.

can someone quote this page? The site is blocked from viewing here at work.
thanks.
darthjames's Avatar darthjames 09:42 AM 11-08-2010
Quote:

dja2k

There's a 50$ price difference??? Does EA Sports Active come with weights or something?

I picked up Your Shape: Fitness Evolved on Sunday and used it for a bit. It's not really a game as much as it is a workout program (good). Didnt check it out much due to time constraints but it's going to get added to me and the female of the home's morning routines. From what I can tell it's pretty decent, and even offers excercizes which will allow you to add your own equipment such as dumbells, etc.
theman1971's Avatar theman1971 10:20 AM 11-08-2010
I dont understand what hacking the Kinect sensor gives you...

Played with my 6 yr-old son this weekend. He loves the Kinect way more than the Wii. He said it's easier to play than the Wii bc there's no controllers with buttons he has to press. He is a demon on that obstacle game in Adventure. Kicked my butt many a times. He loves the Rafting and the Rally Ball games as well. Overall, I'd say it's a hit!

One issue I found out was that he has a problem staying inside the "zone" for the sensor to see. I constantly have to tell him to step back. Any of you parents experience the same thing with your little ones? What did you do to help them stay in the "zone"?
gameboy's Avatar gameboy 10:21 AM 11-08-2010
Quote:

thanks.

It just says that somebody hacked Kinect so that they can read data using Windows PC.

Not a big deal. The protection is really aimed at people hacking it for cheating purposes. People have hardware hacked Xbox360 for a long time, but Microsoft really cares about those people not getting on Xbox Live.

Anyone with a good understanding of hardware can break a system like Kinect, it is another thing all together for that to be widely available and something that can be used on-line.
mylan's Avatar mylan 10:23 AM 11-08-2010
Quote:

thanks.

Check out Proxify, it's the only way I get out at work.
darthrsg's Avatar darthrsg 10:59 AM 11-08-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylan View Post

Check out Proxify, it's the only way I get out at work.

Noted and banned, thanks!
davidlo's Avatar davidlo 11:11 AM 11-08-2010
I used this to mount my Kinect:

http://www.amazon.com/PS3-Camera-Mou...238870&sr=1-18

bought it for my Eye but hadn't really the chance to mount it, then Kinect came so I thought I give it a try. Works pretty good.

The base clip is designed to slide onto the base of the Eye but you can kind for force it unto the Kinect. After that it seems pretty solid on top of my plasma TV.

Heck a lot cheaper then the Kinect TV mount (also made by PDP).
gameboy's Avatar gameboy 11:31 AM 11-08-2010
Or you can build something like this for cheap...

Cool Face's Avatar Cool Face 11:38 AM 11-08-2010
^nice work gameboy! i have to imagine though that your tv is mounted to the wall and doesnt necessarily adjust in x, y, or z right?

right now im looking at davidlo's item. it seems to be good. i hope if i order it that the kinect will slide in like the eyetoy looks like it slides in. my tv is on the wall, but on a full axis's swivel thingy. and it gets moved left and right constantly and not often by a technological marvel such as i, but rather some un-techy people of the wifey variety.
Cool Face's Avatar Cool Face 11:41 AM 11-08-2010
the guy hacking the kinect is doing it strictly for research (*wink,wink*) and that is completely allowable under current law. i think microsoft just doesnt want people cracking the kinect for full use on a pc. rather THEY themselves want to intro it, when they feel the time is right....thats some minority report shyt right there!

i wonder how the heck i would input the CTRL+ALT+DEL when that shyt malfunctions?!
"KINECT!!! SHUT THE FUK DOWN!" (my voice commands to shut off)
coyote_5's Avatar coyote_5 11:41 AM 11-08-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Noted and banned, thanks!

this one works at my job...

http://www.computertaylor.com/surf/
Cool Face's Avatar Cool Face 11:47 AM 11-08-2010
Quote:

Isn't that alot more because of the heartrate monitor?

you know i think that EA active 2 is more expensive just cause of the heartrate monitor. i picked up your shape, and am quite content with that. i booted it up and tried out the workout game that has those blocks in front of you and you have to break (cant recall the name right now). the wife was "totally stoaked" and was instantly sold on the whole fitness as a game thing.

i dont mind being the test subject for all these "games" but i need to find time tonight to rap battle someone on def jam rapstar! IM'A LYRA-SA-LYGIST!
FrankJ.Cone's Avatar FrankJ.Cone 12:12 PM 11-08-2010
I can feel my heart trying to escape my chest Yourshape... why whould I need a monitor!
bryansj's Avatar bryansj 12:18 PM 11-08-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by theman1971 View Post

I dont understand what hacking the Kinect sensor gives you...

Played with my 6 yr-old son this weekend. He loves the Kinect way more than the Wii. He said it's easier to play than the Wii bc there's no controllers with buttons he has to press. He is a demon on that obstacle game in Adventure. Kicked my butt many a times. He loves the Rafting and the Rally Ball games as well. Overall, I'd say it's a hit!

One issue I found out was that he has a problem staying inside the "zone" for the sensor to see. I constantly have to tell him to step back. Any of you parents experience the same thing with your little ones? What did you do to help them stay in the "zone"?

I had pretty much the same experience with my almost 5 y/o daughter yesterday. I just had to keep telling her to step back. I guess they are drawn to the screen and feel as though they should be trying to reach for it for interaction. During the game it shows a notice that you are out of the zone, but in the menus there is no notice.

I tried to explain that every time she is have a problem in the menus it is because she is too close. I assume she will eventually get it and figure it out. One thing to do is put something on the floor or to the sides like don't get in front of this stuffed animal...
First ... 23  24  25 26  27  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop