Microsoft Xbox 360 Kinect Official Thread - Page 35 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1021 of 1759 Old 12-06-2010, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How come you cant use the kinect with Totem ball ?

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1022 of 1759 Old 12-07-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Thanks for the respond bkilian, have you actually try this? Is the image upside down or is the image correct but the respond for left and right is reversed?

The camera detects it's orientation and will not turn on if it is upside down. (Or tilted, or shaking, etc). Basically, it would mess with our algorithms as they currently stand, so we don't allow it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by champer View Post

How come you cant use the kinect with Totem ball ?

The amount of work required to make it backward compatible compared to the number of games released for the Live vision Cam was not deemed a good spend of our very limited time. We'd rather spend the time enabling new cooler features than appease the like 5 people who use their Live Vision Cams.
post #1023 of 1759 Old 12-08-2010, 07:43 PM

Hey guys I just changed from a Samsung 56" DLP to a Panasonic 65" Plasma and now I need to mount my Kinect. Anyone here have the Kinect on a TV this big. Did you buy the TV Mount? I can't use the wall mount cause my center channel speaker is on it. I would buy the TV mount but don't know if it works with my 65" plasma as I've read people having problems with it not reaching down, screw holes not aligning etc etc.

dja2k
post #1024 of 1759 Old 12-09-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkilian View Post
As the person officially in charge of verifying how well it works in different configurations, I'd like to say congrats on yours working so well for you, but you definately have it in a non-supported configuration, and it won't work as well for everyone who has it that close to a speaker.
Some more feedback for you

My TV is roundly 6"5 feet away from me when I play. I didn't notice a real improvement setting it on top of my TV at 5" feet high versus 2" feet on my TV stand.

At this distance the camera never sees me entirely. My feets are cut a bit above the ankles. It seems the calibration rather set the sensor with more room on top of me than seeing me entirely. Bit of an issue for games like ubisoft your shape evolved as it's unable to catch my height for example.

I tried to adjust the kinect stand direction (actually a PS3 eye one) to make it see lower but it didn't change anything either.

I noticed that for my 3 years old (around 3feet high) daughter I have to set the sensor on the lower position not on top of the TV. Even the sensor sometimes have a hard time with her. It seems it takes her head as a hand.
Also it often loose her. She has to get away from the sensor then back in.

At this point I might set it up directly on the floor and see how it works for her.

Now about kinectimal it's a great game but it should have difficulty/age settings.
For example it speaks too much for younger kids and little ones can't read either.
Some minig ames that are great for younger kids are boring for older ones.
A difficulty setting would smoothen this really well.
post #1025 of 1759 Old 12-09-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dja2k View Post
Hey guys I just changed from a Samsung 56" DLP to a Panasonic 65" Plasma and now I need to mount my Kinect. Anyone here have the Kinect on a TV this big. Did you buy the TV Mount? I can't use the wall mount cause my center channel speaker is on it. I would buy the TV mount but don't know if it works with my 65" plasma as I've read people having problems with it not reaching down, screw holes not aligning etc etc.

dja2k
Buy a cheap PS3 tv mount for 14$99 either insert your kinect in it or use velcro to hook it on top of the stand.
post #1026 of 1759 Old 12-09-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deewe View Post

Some more feedback for you

My TV is roundly 6"5 feet away from me when I play. I didn't notice a real improvement setting it on top of my TV at 5" feet high versus 2" feet on my TV stand.

At this distance the camera never sees me entirely. My feets are cut a bit above the ankles. It seems the calibration rather set the sensor with more room on top of me than seeing me entirely. Bit of an issue for games like ubisoft your shape evolved as it's unable to catch my height for example.

I tried to adjust the kinect stand direction (actually a PS3 eye one) to make it see lower but it didn't change anything either.

I noticed that for my 3 years old (around 3feet high) daughter I have to set the sensor on the lower position not on top of the TV. Even the sensor sometimes have a hard time with her. It seems it takes her head as a hand.
Also it often loose her. She has to get away from the sensor then back in.

At this point I might set it up directly on the floor and see how it works for her.

Now about kinectimal it's a great game but it should have difficulty/age settings.
For example it speaks too much for younger kids and little ones can't read either.
Some minig ames that are great for younger kids are boring for older ones.
A difficulty setting would smoothen this really well.

I'm only in charge of audio, not video
However, your 3 year old appears to be below the supported minimum of 40", so our algorithms will have some issues with her. Lucklily they grow fast at that age
I'm with you on kinectimals. There needs to be a way to get your cub to eat that annoying flying rat.
post #1027 of 1759 Old 12-09-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deewe View Post

Buy a cheap PS3 tv mount for 14$99 either insert your kinect in it or use velcro to hook it on top of the stand.

I don't think there is any way to slide the kinect into the Eye Mount? And about the velcro on top, yes I am aware of that option, thanks!

dja2k
post #1028 of 1759 Old 12-09-2010, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for telling me about this site. It worked great I was able to get one yesterday!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by remotecontrol View Post

If you're looking for the kinect or the kinect bundles, you can use the site

http://wiialerts.com

to get instock notifications and text alerts.

Lots of us used the Wiialerts site during the Wii craze days.

Posting the "instock" messages in forums is kind of pointless because by the time you read the forum they're gone out of stock.

post #1029 of 1759 Old 12-09-2010, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Quote:

I'm only in charge of audio, not video

I have a question for you. Do you foresee any updates to the noise cancellation features? The reason I ask is that in my current setup, I have sound coming downward from the ceiling (built into the ceiling).

When I'm playing ESPN or something loud, the Kinect has more difficulty recognizing my voice commands. When the environment is quiet, I can speak very quietly (between whisper and normal voice level) and the Kinect can easily recognize it. So I can understand that noise is always a tricky proposition.

But then I went to someone's house and in his setup, he has the same noise level but the voice control is better. The only thing I can think of is he has normal speakers flanking his entertainment center and the sound doesn't actually wash over the Kinect like my setup.

Here's my setup. Sorry I didn't actually capture in the picture the speakers built into the ceiling. They are flush.

By the way, the work you guys did on the voice commands is awesome! Just hoping for complete integration everywhere in Xbox (like in WMC, more Xbox apps, all parts of the dash). In fact, the voice control has completely replaced the controller for sections that it's actually well implemented.
post #1030 of 1759 Old 12-09-2010, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post
I have a question for you. Do you foresee any updates to the noise cancellation features? The reason I ask is that in my current setup, I have sound coming downward from the ceiling (built into the ceiling).

When I'm playing ESPN or something loud, the Kinect has more difficulty recognizing my voice commands. When the environment is quiet, I can speak very quietly (between whisper and normal voice level) and the Kinect can easily recognize it. So I can understand that noise is always a tricky proposition.
Nice setup. We have not tested any ceiling mount speakers, but technically it should work fine.

Do you have any effects active on your receiver? Turning on Dolby PLII, or reverb, or "night mode" (Dynamic range compression) can have an adverse effect on our echo reduction algorithms. Also, try audio calibration at the loudest you would play the audio, or a little louder (the app will complain if it detects clipping, so if it does that, turn it down a little).

The mics are on the bottom edge of the sensor, so it's possible with your speaker placement that we could be missing the direct tone and picking up the reflection from the top of the TV, that would degrade performance too.

We noticed that the louder you calibrate at, up to a point, the better we can remove echo at normal loudness levels. If you calibrate at a quiet level, we have a lot more trouble removing loud noise.

We definitely are still tweaking the algorithms as we get data back from the field, but don't expect any miracles, some of the stuff we're doing was considered impossible a few years ago, and even our researchers at one point did not think we could get the performance we ended up getting.
post #1031 of 1759 Old 12-10-2010, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Got the wife Your Shape Fitness last night and noticed that the video image of your body that it puts on the screen is really red and flashes. Is this normal for this game or is it suppose to be a better picture of your? I know in Dance Central it is an actual video, or as good of one as you can get out of the cheap camera.
post #1032 of 1759 Old 12-10-2010, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

I bought a USB extension cable from New Egg which does work fine, except one problem. I have the Kinect that has the extar power supply for the older X-Box. I need to extend just the cord from the "Y" to the camera, to my surprise this is not a USB cable, some odd ball thing. Does anyone know if they make an extention cable for this?
post #1033 of 1759 Old 12-10-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Mudder View Post

Got the wife Your Shape Fitness last night and noticed that the video image of your body that it puts on the screen is really red and flashes. Is this normal for this game or is it suppose to be a better picture of your? I know in Dance Central it is an actual video, or as good of one as you can get out of the cheap camera.

You can change to a different color, or your real pic from the main screen.
post #1034 of 1759 Old 12-10-2010, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

on main menu one of the buttons on the floor that you hit with your feet will cycle you through different skins
post #1035 of 1759 Old 12-10-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dja2k View Post

I don't think there is any way to slide the kinect into the Eye Mount? And about the velcro on top, yes I am aware of that option, thanks!

dja2k

Yes you can slide the kinect in the Eye mount, it won't fit perfectly but I did that and it holds firmly.

What I like with the Eye mount vs the kinect one, apart the cheaper price, is you can set it anywhere on top of the TV not only in the middle.

As my TV isn't in the middle of the playing space it's perfect.
post #1036 of 1759 Old 12-10-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:

I bought a USB extension cable from New Egg which does work fine, except one problem. I have the Kinect that has the extar power supply for the older X-Box. I need to extend just the cord from the "Y" to the camera, to my surprise this is not a USB cable, some odd ball thing. Does anyone know if they make an extention cable for this?

There is this one, but at $50, it's pricey. Your other option is to plug the Kinect in close to where it's situated, and then use a normal USB extension.
post #1037 of 1759 Old 12-10-2010, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There is this one, but at $50, it's pricey. Your other option is to plug the Kinect in close to where it's situated, and then use a normal USB extension.

I need to run the extension through a chase to the back of the TV. Their is no plug in where the sensor will be, only at the other end of the extension where the X-Box is. I will check into that cable, thanks.
post #1038 of 1759 Old 12-10-2010, 01:21 PM

With all the marketing on whats out there currently for Kinect Im wondering whats coming in the future for it. Doesnt seem like a lot of information regarding future releases. Besides the ones at E3 and such.
post #1039 of 1759 Old 12-11-2010, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgecrusher View Post

With all the marketing on whats out there currently for Kinect Im wondering whats coming in the future for it. Doesnt seem like a lot of information regarding future releases. Besides the ones at E3 and such.

Child of Eden Kinect Game for 2011
The Child of Eden Kinect game will be released March 29th 2011. This game looks fantastic, the special effects and the imagination makes you feel as though you are amongst the stars and floating in a portal....

Michael Jackson- The Experience
Michael Jackson game play experience, the game features a wealth of unforgettable hits, which the motion capture capabilities of the Kinect system

Star Wars Kinect Game
The Star Wars Kinect Game is one of the most eagely anticipated Kinect games to date. In a demo video released about this Star Wars game, a player in shown from a third-person view fighting wave after wave...

Kinect Games 2011

GetFit with Mel B -due for release January 3 2011

If you know the Spice Girls, then you probably also know Mel B. If not, then she may not be that familiar with you. Anyways, Mel B (a celeb) teamed up with Fitness First, the world's largest gym chain, in creating a Kinect Fitness game that features 6 types of aerobic disciplines, with more than 100 tailored exercises.

Dance on Broadway - January 2011

You Don't Know Jack- Available January 25th 2011

Show Time - January 31 2011

Star - February 11 2011

Fantastic Pets - March 2011

UFC Personal Trainer -April 1 2011

Body Brain and Connection -

Michael Phelps - Push Limit- June 2011

Codename D

Forza Motorsport 4

Kinect Haunt

Project Draco

Rise of Nightmares

Spongebob Squarepants

Steel Battalion Heavy Armour

Yoostar 2

Argee
post #1040 of 1759 Old 12-11-2010, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee View Post

Child of Eden Kinect Game for 2011
The Child of Eden Kinect game will be released March 29th 2011. This game looks fantastic, the special effects and the imagination makes you feel as though you are amongst the stars and floating in a portal....

Michael Jackson- The Experience
Michael Jackson game play experience, the game features a wealth of unforgettable hits, which the motion capture capabilities of the Kinect system

Star Wars Kinect Game
The Star Wars Kinect Game is one of the most eagely anticipated Kinect games to date. In a demo video released about this Star Wars game, a player in shown from a third-person view fighting wave after wave...

Kinect Games 2011

GetFit with Mel B -due for release January 3 2011

If you know the Spice Girls, then you probably also know Mel B. If not, then she may not be that familiar with you. Anyways, Mel B (a celeb) teamed up with Fitness First, the world's largest gym chain, in creating a Kinect Fitness game that features 6 types of aerobic disciplines, with more than 100 tailored exercises.

Dance on Broadway - January 2011

You Don't Know Jack- Available January 25th 2011

Show Time - January 31 2011

Star - February 11 2011

Fantastic Pets - March 2011

UFC Personal Trainer -April 1 2011

Body Brain and Connection -

Michael Phelps - Push Limit- June 2011

Codename D

Forza Motorsport 4

Kinect Haunt

Project Draco

Rise of Nightmares

Spongebob Squarepants

Steel Battalion Heavy Armour

Yoostar 2

Very, very interested in Steel battalion. I always wanted that old rig on my original 360 but I was too poor to purchase it and too ashamed to set it up in my dorm room. hehe.

post #1041 of 1759 Old 12-12-2010, 01:53 AM
rto
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpalmieri1203 View Post
Very, very interested in Steel battalion. I always wanted that old rig on my original 360 but I was too poor to purchase it and too ashamed to set it up in my dorm room. hehe.
It was, perhaps, my favorite sim game ever and the wife agreed that the ginormous controller was waaay over the top.....but not in a good way. I'll definitely wait for reviews to learn how well -or perhaps not- motion controls work in the new title before I jump in.
post #1042 of 1759 Old 12-12-2010, 01:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpalmieri1203 View Post
you mean original xbox... and in all seriousness, my friend has one brand new in the box... if you're still interested...

Xbox Live: KoNtRoL MaNiAk
post #1043 of 1759 Old 12-13-2010, 07:06 AM

Here's a complete list of the upcoming games. <<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Kinect_games" target="_blank">clicky>

At least the ones that have been officially announced.
post #1044 of 1759 Old 12-13-2010, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skullbiscuit View Post

How does this work when the Microsoft USB connector does not have a standard male adapter? It has a small cut in one corner making it more of a polygon than a normal rectangular USB connector. So how can you connect the amazon extender to this non-standard USB connector coming off the Kinect and then the extender into the non-standard USB female input on the Kinect?

You need to use the Kinect Power supply/adapter if you're going to use a usb extension. The power supply comes with an adapter that turns that weird notched usb into a regular usb. The power adapter comes in the retail Kinect package - or you can get it off of the Microsoft store (if you got your Kinect in a bundle with a console).

I can also verify that the 32' cable AND the 65' usb extension cables do work! These are the two that I picked up from Amazon:

32' active usb extension

65' active usb extension
post #1045 of 1759 Old 12-13-2010, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

saw this and thought it was funny.

http://www.foxtrot.com
post #1046 of 1759 Old 12-14-2010, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
HA!! That's great!!!

I can't tell ya how many times I've "picked up the bowling ball" with my left hand by mistake due to excessive celebration on my part!!

I haven't found a way to 'switch hands' when that happens - other than to walk away, but half the time that results in me throwing the ball down the gutter!
post #1047 of 1759 Old 12-14-2010, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

someone made a blockout clone with headtracking! the demo doesn't show the true advantage of headtracking for tetris since he hasn't built the blocks up high enough to make a difference.

but when i was a kid at the arcade, I loved blockout and even tried to look around the blocks to see how I could fit the pieces better.

True Blockout for those not old enough to remember:
post #1048 of 1759 Old 12-16-2010, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 417
I thought this was cool. Real-time holographic video chat using Kinect.
post #1049 of 1759 Old 12-16-2010, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
OMG, I just hope there is no video camera component to this game...

http://ingame.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...-works-shudder
post #1050 of 1759 Old 12-16-2010, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

just to be clear here, the ps3 eye camera mounting clip (10 bucks on amazon) works well as a mounting solution on a plasma? Solid enough that you don't have to worry about it toppling over when the camera moves?

xbox live/PSN: Chad473
Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page