post #91 of 1759 Old 07-14-2010, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post

I picked up the 360S yesterday from Gamestop (only 1 in 10 stores in my area!!). I was looking on the back of the unit, there is nothing specifically marked for Kinect, but one says AUX, is that the connection for the Kinect?

anyways, my kids are more psyched about the Kinect than I am, especially Adventures and Kinectimals. Anyone see the preorder deal that Walmart has: Kinect + 1 game + $30 online gift card for $199?

Yes that is the Kinect port.

The 5.0 is here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1759 Old 07-14-2010, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't think these have been posted yet:

The 5.0 is here
post #93 of 1759 Old 07-14-2010, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Skiing looks good, other than the crappy commentary, and player spazzing at the end.

International HDDVD Screenshot Archive (Full 1080p Images): www.hdmovies.co.nz
post #94 of 1759 Old 07-15-2010, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Latest hands on article of Kinect.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=255921

The 5.0 is here
post #95 of 1759 Old 07-15-2010, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Pretty big lag on the skiing move-control to avatar movement. It still woks with that game though, since you are looking down-mountain and setting up your moves ahead of time.

The football run was cool in a gimmicky way. Don't know that you'd do that one more than most people play their Wiis.
post #96 of 1759 Old 07-15-2010, 02:11 PM

I just pre-ordered mine from Walmart through the deal a previous poster mentioned. They sent me the $30 coupon right away but can only be used for online purchases.

All your base are belong to us
post #97 of 1759 Old 07-15-2010, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by loganhunter2002 View Post

I just pre-ordered mine from Walmart through the deal a previous poster mentioned. They sent me the $30 coupon right away but can only be used for online purchases.

can you use the $30 coupon for online purchase with in-store pickup?
post #98 of 1759 Old 07-15-2010, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by loganhunter2002 View Post

You pre-ordered a device with no announced price four months before release?

Now playing: TLoU PS4
Recently Finished: Watch Dogs, Southpark: Stick of Truth, Infamous: SS
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
post #99 of 1759 Old 07-15-2010, 04:03 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable View Post

I find it wierd that even the Microsoft Store has it for 149.99, but the print still says no price has been announced.

Consider the unparalleled advantage, of a natural disaster that's impossible to manage.
post #100 of 1759 Old 07-15-2010, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable View Post

Yeah so? It is really that serious? So you are unaware that when the 360s came out that Kinect was batteling it on Amazon for 1st place? This isn't the first product on the market that consumers pre-order somthing that has no price yet. It is projected to be $150 and I am okay paying that price and anything less is only better.

The 5.0 is here
post #101 of 1759 Old 07-15-2010, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

Yeah so? It is really that serious? So you are unaware that when the 360s came out that Kinect was batteling it on Amazon for 1st place? This isn't the first product on the market that consumers pre-order somthing that has no price yet. It is projected to be $150 and I am okay paying that price and anything less is only better.

I've never been one for preorders. To me, I don't see the advantage of a preorder. It's like I don't understand how people can wait hours in the heat for a launch day iPhone. It's not like if you don't buy it the first day, there won't be anymore.

I do plan on getting the Kinect with Dance Central. But not enough to do a launch day purchase.

The only thing I would do (but it's becoming less and less) is camping out for blockbuster movies on day 1. Now even that seems like a silly achievement.

What happens if the launch price is lower than the preorder? Do you get refunded the difference? What happens if the launch price is higher than expected? Is the preorder price guaranteed? I don't know how preorders work.
post #102 of 1759 Old 07-16-2010, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

I've never been one for preorders. To me, I don't see the advantage of a preorder. It's like I don't understand how people can wait hours in the heat for a launch day iPhone. It's not like if you don't buy it the first day, there won't be anymore.

I do plan on getting the Kinect with Dance Central. But not enough to do a launch day purchase.

The only thing I would do (but it's becoming less and less) is camping out for blockbuster movies on day 1. Now even that seems like a silly achievement.

What happens if the launch price is lower than the preorder? Do you get refunded the difference? What happens if the launch price is higher than expected? Is the preorder price guaranteed? I don't know how preorders work.

Well the benefit for pre-orders that I have done for example the Iphone 4 it didn't require for me to sit hours or days waiting. I got mine at Best Buy. Went to the store around the 15th and they were accepting pre-orders at 9am that morning. I showed up 15 minutes prior put my $50 down. On the 23rd I got a call that I have an appt at 7am that morning and was done in 20 minutes. Most of those consumers who are sitting out for days or hours waiting are the ones who didn't pre-order or simply couldn't because pre-orders were not being accepted or the website crashed. But I won't sit here and say I won't sit hours for a pre-order . Halo 2 and Halo 3 had block parties and local radio stations providing music at Gamestops across Little Rock for the midnight launch. It all depends what gets you excited. It cases like mine it is because 15 of us are wanting the samthing thing and these events bring out people to get tickets for concerts, games or the Iphone.

When a pre-order is price guaranteed it is usually based on a sale of the original price. For example, Amazon can choose to price a game for $10 less than the MSRP if you pre-order before the release date. Gamestop has those type of deals all the time. Your not required to show up at midnight launches it is simply an option. Pre-orders guarantee you whatever they are offering with the product.
Plus you are not charged until the order is picked up or shipped. If the price of Kinect is higher or lower you have the choice to keep or simply cancel. I did put $25 down at Gamestop towards the pre-order. I honestly don't believe it will be $200 but I will pay $150 and if it is less than that is even better.

The 5.0 is here
post #103 of 1759 Old 07-16-2010, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I would highly recommend people to go out and experience Kinect for yourselves during the road show. There is nothing like the hands on experience to really find out whether or not this is for you.
post #104 of 1759 Old 07-23-2010, 03:07 AM
AVS Special Member

was this at E3???

Konami should not release at the same time as Sega. This game looks like the Sonic one. But I actually think the Konami one looks more interesting. Hopefully there's not a glut of boarding games.
post #105 of 1759 Old 07-23-2010, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 46
Quote:

Hopefully there's not a glut of boarding games.

Seconded!

A much younger me may have been interested but this sort of thing holds virtually no appeal. I would give it a whirl if someone else bought the game but I'll try anything once.

At least these sorts of experiences can be achieved without all the capital investment to create the Ride board. It must greatly improve the value proposition for the developer. It'd be interesting to read a comparison of Ride and Adrenalin Misfits by someone who was really into Ride (you know they're out there).

Gamer Tag: Todd Stevens
post #106 of 1759 Old 07-23-2010, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Okay, that looked pretty cool even to this old man.

I'd get a boom-box and some pre-recorded cheering and crank it up so that I could go maximum speed the whole time. Unless that dang Kinect camera/IR is looking for three other people too. Then I'd need some cardboard people cutouts fitted with heating elements.
post #107 of 1759 Old 07-23-2010, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Speaking of which...if you have the flu and play Kinect, will the game think you are closer to the TV than you really are?
post #108 of 1759 Old 07-23-2010, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Flatus View Post

Okay, that looked pretty cool even to this old man.

I'd get a boom-box and some pre-recorded cheering and crank it up so that I could go maximum speed the whole time. Unless that dang Kinect camera/IR is looking for three other people too. Then I'd need some cardboard people cutouts fitted with heating elements.

HAHA. I was thinking how that sound element would be unfair. What if you're playing someone online and they have a boombox for more speed? It'd be an arms race to recruit more sound.
post #109 of 1759 Old 07-23-2010, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Kinect Sports. Heart Attack commence lol

The 5.0 is here
post #110 of 1759 Old 07-23-2010, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

LOL, nice. It definitely has more party appeal than a Wii. Good god--our friends would wreck the place, though.

PSN/XBL: bassmonkeee
Wii number: Who cares?
post #111 of 1759 Old 07-23-2010, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

they're so lucky it's inside the store! the demos at Mission Viejo are outside the store in the main shopping corridor.

i only got to try bowling and rafting. but yeah, I wouldn't have liked the running anyway. maybe javelin, archery and other stuff. but running is one of the least things i like to do.
post #112 of 1759 Old 07-24-2010, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Flatus View Post

I'm trying to be open minded to the possibilities without being a fanboy or a tech crapper. Not an easy thing to do.

To me Kinect is far different from the Wii and the Move because of the initial push to separate the player from the controller. In reality we'll probablly need some button presses somewhere and we might end up with something like the Scene It! controller that would be easier to handle in one hand, but the push right now is to realize the whole "you are the controller" schtick. I'll bite on that and see where it goes.

On that note, I don't know that adding a hand-wave command to my CPU team-mates in Call of Duty adds anything other than gimmickery. You already have a ton of complex commands mapped to all the buttons and sticks and triggers, and having to take your hand off the controller would probably be more detrimental than any gain realized from it. I'm sure there are some special cases that could be good, but overall I don't see it working for most stuff.

By the same token, once the control scheme is developed to get me off my arse and controlling the game with my own self, getting tethered back to the controller seems like a step backwards. Design the control scheme so that I am free to pursue the art of open handed gaming. I'll try it.

Of course motion controls for media center and Netflix are logical for seated viewers. I'd love to navigate to the next episode of Dollhouse by waving my arms instead of fumbling for my controller and turning it back on, but that's not gaming.

Has anybody stopped to consider where their TV is positioned? When I decided where to position my TV, I looked at where my eyeballs were located while sitting down. I've always heard, that your eyeballs should align at a point 1/3rd upwards, from the bottom of the screen. In other words, instead of your eyeballs being aligned with the exact center of the screen, they should be slightly lower than that.

The thing is, you measure this in a seated position. The height of your eyeballs is dramatically different when standing up, compared to sitting down. In my living room, if I stand up, my eyeballs are 2 feet above the very top of the screen, if not more. This doesn't bode very well for Kinect. While playing it, I'm going to have to be looking downward. The farther I stand back from my plasma (and the Kinect camera), the less the lowered height of the TV will factor into the equation, but my problem is that in my living room, I can only move back so far before I fall back into the sofa behind me. The sofa is already back to the back wall, and it can't go any further.

This same situation happens with the Wii, but with the Wii, if I'm playing tennis, I can actually sit down and play it if I want to. Honestly, I normally would still stand up, if I'm playing a Wii game that is simulating some kind of sport like golf or tennis or swinging a baseball bat, etc. But a game like Zelda, I usually would sit down, and just flick my wrists in the different motions, and it would work fine. When playing the Wii while standing up, the visual quality is a bit less than I would like, because I'm looking downward to see the screen. It isn't too big of a deal with the Wii, because with the Wii being limited to 480p, visuals become a secondary issue. With Kinect, visuals are the big differential for me. I don't mind using a Wii-mote type device, in fact, I prefer "feeling" something (rumble). The lack of any type of feedback with Kinect does bother me a bit. I remember how disappointed I was when the PS3 didn't have rumble for their controllers for almost 2 years after launch. I know most people feel like rumble is something they wouldn't miss very much, but during the early days of the PS3, I missed rumble like no other. When you've had something for a long time, and all of a sudden, it isn't there anymore, it's kinda weird. It's like taking one step forward, but then two steps back.

Anyways, I'm still very curious about Kinect, and the fitness aspect really has me intrigued. I think Kinect could be something that I could try to play a couple of times a day, just to break a sweat and burn a few calories.
post #113 of 1759 Old 07-25-2010, 12:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Get a TV lift...

... with the common practice of mounting displays over fire places, standing up may improve many peoples experience.

International HDDVD Screenshot Archive (Full 1080p Images): www.hdmovies.co.nz
post #114 of 1759 Old 07-25-2010, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooki View Post

Get a TV lift...

... with the common practice of mounting displays over fire places, standing up may improve many peoples experience.

Unfortunately, in my living room, I have an custom designed, oak entertainment center. It fits up to a 52 inch widescreen TV. It's designed specifically to be at the correct height for somebody sitting on the sofa. The TV is stuck at the height it's at. There is nothing I can do, short of getting rid of the entire Entertainment Center thing, and my wife isn't going to be down with that.
post #115 of 1759 Old 07-25-2010, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm thinking about a 2nd 360 and a fairly cheap projector downstairs. Just trying to figure out where. I don't think me dancing upstairs is a good idea. Plus I have 9' ceilings down there. Kinect really won't work in my current primary home theater setting.
post #116 of 1759 Old 08-05-2010, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 46
Great article from Gizmodo about their recent visit with Kinect: http://gizmodo.com/5604308/deep-insi...rosofts-dreams
Some of the highlights and new information included:
  • Pictures of Kinect's internals
  • 4 microphone array required the device to be a certain width
  • Profiles the auditory specifics of the room
  • Some details on the software's development
  • Onboard fan
  • Future and dream of natural interface
It's a good read with some included video, check it out.

Gamer Tag: Todd Stevens
post #117 of 1759 Old 08-05-2010, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
After seeing the demo at the local mall, it is looking pretty good.

However, I worry that the device requires a LOT of room for playing. Not sure how many people are willing to rearrange their living room to accomodate playing.

Lag looks better than earlier videos, though it is still there and you do have to anticipate things.

This is going to be pretty exciting holiday season.
post #118 of 1759 Old 08-18-2010, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

looks fun. but man, it seems like you have to be really fit to play... it looks like they used martial artists for the actors. their kicks were really good.
post #119 of 1759 Old 08-18-2010, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:

it looks like they used martial artists for the actors. their kicks were really good.

Dancers maybe (they do seem surprisingly flexible). But definitely not martial artists.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #120 of 1759 Old 08-18-2010, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Someone should inform Ubi that gamers are lazy and active people are not turned on by violence. The Ven diagram overlap for fit people and core gamers is pretty small.

Now playing: TLoU PS4
Recently Finished: Watch Dogs, Southpark: Stick of Truth, Infamous: SS
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page