post #1711 of 1759 Old 03-13-2012, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable View Post

Too bad it is not terribly useful for games. It will be interesting to see what they do with their next console. Will they pack it in and drive the price up or keep it an add-on? Developers who are not making casual stuff will ignore it without money-hats (ME3). MS doesn't have a lot of 1st party devs to push it in core games. Also how do they keep any momentum, the buying public is fickle with fads, first Wii waggle, then Kinect, what is next year?

troll harder...

pretty sure everyone here knows your anti-360, pro-Move tendencies... go back to playing The Fight for your precious Move. we don't care about your gaming habits so don't try to intrude on others...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 1759 Old 03-13-2012, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
If you hadn't quoted him, I wouldn't've have had to see his drivel...
post #1713 of 1759 Old 03-25-2012, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When is the Kinect 2 or otherwise named hardware successor believed to be released? Or will upgrades be by software only for the foreseeable future?
post #1714 of 1759 Old 03-25-2012, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post

When is the Kinect 2 or otherwise named hardware successor believed to be released? Or will upgrades be by software only for the foreseeable future?

it's set for release with the new Xbox according to rumors. definitely not this generation as it most likely uses USB 3.0. Bandwidth problems over USB 2.0 is the biggest limitation right now.
post #1715 of 1759 Old 03-26-2012, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

my friends made a funny avatar kinect video so I just had to post it...

720P video of F3AR1355S and TrinityQiTrance messing around in Avatar Kinect. Here are the time marks to get around the video easier. Don't worry, it's not a perverted video but there are cuss words every now and then (but rare).

0:14 Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye.
0:41 Synthia is naked.
3:04 kung fu fighting.
4:39 everybody, pelvic thrust.
5:31 a love fest.
6:36 F3AR1355S loves snowballs.
7:34 vampires and pumpkins!
9:17 superheroes! unite!
12:10 TrinityQiTrance getting horny!
13:14 (I've Had) The Time of My Life.
15:43 F3AR1355S gets flowered.
15:53 Mary Poppins!

post #1716 of 1759 Old 03-30-2012, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I just want to check out the videos, but it looks like they're set to private.

Your other music video was great though!

-JR
post #1717 of 1759 Old 03-30-2012, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuiceRocket View Post

I just want to check out the videos, but it looks like they're set to private.

Your other music video was great though!

-JR

LOL. try them again! I accidentally made them private because I set all my uploading videos private when I upload them because Youtube takes forever sometimes to process them and I don't like them being available until they're processed.
post #1718 of 1759 Old 03-30-2012, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

They worked this time, thanks sublime. Are there youtube channels with people using this tech to have "shows" and the like?

-JR
post #1719 of 1759 Old 03-30-2012, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They worked this time, thanks sublime. Are there youtube channels with people using this tech to have "shows" and the like?

-JR

never really checked. There is a Gamermom web site where some moms get together and talk about gaming, and I think they use Avatar Kinect to do it.

Other than that, just people goofing off.

My friends and I use Avatar Kinect when there's a lot of us who are online but don't feel like playing games and are just hanging out at the dash. so instead of just sitting at the dash, why not hang out in Avatar Kinect? Normally I don't record it but we had someone that normally doesn't join us so we decided to record.

If Microsoft was smart, they would expand Avatar Kinect into a full-blown chatroom where you could gab with strangers. I guess they don't because of the child predators out there. I remember AIM taking away the find a buddy feature because of the sad weirdos out there. I missed that feature. That was the beginning of the downfall of AIM.
post #1720 of 1759 Old 04-02-2012, 03:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Here's the latest 720P trailer for Crimson Dragon:

3 player online co-op! Can't wait!
post #1721 of 1759 Old 04-02-2012, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

Here's the latest 720P trailer for Crimson Dragon:

3 player online co-op! Can't wait!

So Lair on rails with a heavy does of aim assist?

Now playing: Destiny, Madden, Diablo 3, PvZ: GW
Recently Finished: Infamous: First Light, Watch Dogs
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
post #1722 of 1759 Old 04-03-2012, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

If Microsoft was smart, they would expand Avatar Kinect into a full-blown chatroom where you could gab with strangers. I guess they don't because of the child predators out there. I remember AIM taking away the find a buddy feature because of the sad weirdos out there. I missed that feature. That was the beginning of the downfall of AIM.

Good point, that would be pretty cool, but you're right, there'd be so many issues that MS will never want to deal with.

Another video of Star Wars. Lucas...what happened to you?!

http://youtu.be/4OnDizZ7UT0
post #1723 of 1759 Old 04-06-2012, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Someone asked if you can do a 9-hole online match in golf for Kinect Sports Season 2 (but I can't find the post). Yes, you can. Once you've invited your friend, go to switch sports, select golf and choose 9 holes. If you bought the DLC, you can also choose 18 holes (but man, 18 holes would take a long time unless both of you are good).

Here's the 720P vid. If you're looking to knock out your 1 hour of Xbox Youtube, this vid is just over an hour:

720P gameplay of Kinect Sports Season 2 for the Xbox 360 Kinect. This is an Xbox Live online match against TrinityQiTrance. It is a 9-hole golf match. 0:55 Hole 1. 7:32 rickrolled (Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up). 7:48 caddie is all funky! 8:42 The Emotions - You've Got the Best of My Love. 9:17 Hole 2. 10:28 HOLE-IN-ONE!!! Duck Sauce - Barbra Streisand. 13:07 Hole 3. 21:43 Europe - The Final Countdown. 22:26 Hole 4. 28:20 Hole 5. 31:04 hitting from the water. 32:29 TrinityQiTrance hates water. 37:50 Chesney Hawkes - The One and Only. 38:18 St Trinians - Uh Oh We're In Trouble. 38:42 Hole 6. 41:52 a nice pitch! 42:46 Hole 7. 50:13 Hole 8. 53:04 hitting from the water. 55:05 Hole 9. 55:57 shortcut to the hole!!!
post #1724 of 1759 Old 04-10-2012, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

"The aim in »Magic and Storytelling« was to find a magical and engaging way to enhance a live performance with interactive graphic. It is generated by a data flow system in real time and in reaction to the live elements."

There's a lot more info and videos at the website with some behind the scenes of how the Kinect is used: http://www.onformative.com/work/magic-and-storytelling/

Now this was cool.

In terms of an Xbox, I'd have fun with an XBLA app or a Kinect Fun Labs app that did more augmented reality with magic tricks. There are some neat augmented reality stuff like Happy Action Theater or Air Band or Rabbids Alive & Kicking. But I'd like to do magic tricks like this guy.
post #1725 of 1759 Old 05-17-2012, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Another video of Star Wars. Lucas...what happened to you?!

http://youtu.be/4OnDizZ7UT0

you know i kinda like lucas for allowing this. gave star wars some breathing room. hoping indiana jones gets the same love soon! :P

also i have returned from my theater adventure. its actually an outdoor screen. it started as a 95" diag. with which i could easily do some kinect outside with. but quickly turned into a 214" diag. monsta of which i only kinected one night with.

i will actually setup tonight for a kinect game night as tomorrow my theater will be hosting an actual kinect night event. when i did try the kinect outside with the monsta screen, i had just bought a 10' extension cable for the kinect. the kinect sits on one of those self-standing floor holders. unfortunately the kinects shadow did get in the way. as did my flailing arms and legs!

im not certain i posted these before, but heres what im talking about:

i've heard different people say different things about longer extension cabling so i have opted to buy an hdmi extender via cat 5e/6 cabling. that way the xbox and kinect will sit in front under the screen while the cat 5e/6 cabling will be routed around the kinects viewing area (away from party people) and safely into the receiver by the projector.

i will try to find a good spot where the kinect is low enough to not be seen on the screen as a shadow but where it can work correctly with everyone. im also thinking about lighting the kinect area. will test a few things tonight. this will be so that those parts where the kinect takes pictures will show up

i do have future plans to bury these cables along with loads of speaker wiring directly under the kinect/movie viewing area.
post #1726 of 1759 Old 05-17-2012, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

man, I love your outdoor setup! rocking the Xbox and going large!!!
post #1727 of 1759 Old 05-17-2012, 11:28 PM
Advanced Member

yes, originally i wanted to just watch movies outside. that quickly turned into "how would live tv look?" and "let me see some video games!". the few game nights i've done were all less than 2 hours at a time. the most time i've played outside was a 4 hour marathon of RockBand when the hall and oates pack came out.

unfortunatly i could not go outside today. it will have to be a "by the seat of ma pants" ordeal tomorrow. of note is that my projector is now a good 6 feet higher than it was before. just need to check if that kinect stand can go lower.
post #1728 of 1759 Old 05-25-2012, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

OMG!!!! the demo is awesome!!! I made a 720P video of the demo on a first playthrough. sorry about messing with the motion controls multiple times to get them down. it's sometimes like watching someone learn something which is kinda boring. I'm definitely getting this day one now...

post #1729 of 1759 Old 05-29-2012, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Here is an interesting use of Kinect

http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/28/30...ible-interface
post #1730 of 1759 Old 05-29-2012, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

^i forgot i downloaded the demo for steel battalion! ima try this tonight!

i did another friday night kinect/xbox 360 night this past friday. much to the chaggrin of the wife i BLASTED the audio when i played The Michael Jackson Experience! EEEEEHEEEE! i played about 4 hours (8pm to mid-nite) with various titles. MJ experience, kinect adventures, kinect sports 1 (still havent picked up 2), fruit ninja kinect, and disneyland adventures. it was great to play kinect outside as it was slightly cold and windy. kinect kept me warm! lol. a few other xbox titles, mainly the forza 4 demo (still aint got the actual game! :/ ).

the only pics i took:

on a side note: i had bought a $20 hdmi extender over cat 5e/6. i bought 2 50' cat 6 cables to go with it. the extender mentions it can produce up to 1080p with up to 70' of cat 6. if i connect the xbox directly to the projector, the extender works fine. video is there with no kinect lag noticeable. the problem then is i have no audio to the receiver and the projector has no audio outs.

if i connect the extender to the receiver, then have an hdmi out from the receiver to the projector, i get a blank screen. the xbox detects something because the status ring of lights do that "circle" thing indicating it got the proper "hdmi handshake". but i get nothing on the projector. :/

i was hoping the cat 6 extender thing-a-ma-bob would work so i could bury the cat 6 cables in the yard (inside of a 1" pvc pipe). however this revelation has put a temporary stop to that idea. must find a solution.
post #1731 of 1759 Old 05-30-2012, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 272
I played the steel batallion demo the other day and it was awful. You do a lot of things like swipe here to move, pull this lever to get the periscope and junk like that, but as far as actually moving hte mech, it's just a joystick and buttons like any other mech game. The best part of steel batallion was the controller, not having it just kind of sucks.

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

post #1732 of 1759 Old 06-12-2012, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

alright, I preordered Steel Battalion at Amazon for $45. if anyone wants to play co-op or versus, let me know!!!

Amazon gets the Carbon Assassin Armory DLC:
Savannah Armor: strike hard and fast with high-speed bullet velocity
Storm Armor: ENGAGE DISTANT PREY WITH INCREASED SHOOTING RANGE

Best Buy gets the Chrome Blitzer Armory: DLC - Xbox 360
Impact: Outmaneuver the enemy with increased turning speeds
Tiger: Tear down their defenses with devastating destructive power

Gamestop gets the Iron Guard Armory:
ROCK: SHRUG OFF ENEMY ADVANCES WITH REINFORCED DEFENSIVE POWER
JAGUAR: OUTPACE THE ATTACKERS WITH ACCELERATED TRAVEL SPEEDS
post #1733 of 1759 Old 06-15-2012, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 237
http://www.technolog.msnbc.msn.com/technology/technolog/does-microsoft-have-tablet-its-sleeve-829902#/technology/technolog/kinect-lets-you-interact-ads-may-spy-your-mood-828447

If this article truly points the direction for Kinect and XBox, I won't be a customer of theirs for long. Especially if they embedd this invasive NUAD and spying technique into the games themselves. If all MS is doing is using Kinect & XBox to spy into people's homes for profit...they will eventually get called out on it and pay a price.
post #1734 of 1759 Old 06-19-2012, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
"Steel Battalion's Kinect integration is so fundamentally flawed that it astounds me it could have shipped like this in the first place. There's the typical "here's what Kinect is seeing" box up in the corner and it's recognizing my body perfectly but the game doesn't know what to do with that information. I don't know how many times I've reached for a button and ended up pulling down the periscope instead or somehow managed to fill the cockpit with smoke because it interpreted my movement incorrectly. My constant arm flailing left me feeling like a crazy person trying to activate my non-existent superpowers. In my brightly lit white living room with all the furniture pulled back sitting rigidly in a wooden chair, I'd say I can get the "gesture success rate" to 90%. You know what my "button success rate" is with every game ever? 99.9%. The .1% is when I spill a martini on the controller and stand up screaming "Aw ****, there goes perfectly good gin," and accidentally hit "B" by mistake." - Alex Rubens, freelance critic for G4

Can't say I'm surprised.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxKRBUzElTU

post #1735 of 1759 Old 06-19-2012, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable View Post

Can't say I'm surprised.

Yeah, this game seemed destined to be bad...

Where the kinect really shines in my opinion is the voice commands. The Skyrim and Mass Effect 3 integration in particular is outstanding and easily makes them the superior console versions. Well, that and the fact they run better on the 360 wink.gif
post #1736 of 1759 Old 06-19-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

The IGN Xbox podcast crew made the Skyrim voice stuff sound near useless. The Kinect SDK doesn't know how to process non-English commands well (dragon speak) so the latency was bad. They said the their was issues with the inventory stuff too, I guess button are not going away anytime soon.

post #1737 of 1759 Old 06-19-2012, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

- TGABLE

rdethloff, don't feed the troll. you must not visit this place much. tgable is the resident troll.
post #1738 of 1759 Old 06-19-2012, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Face View Post

^

on a side note: i had bought a $20 hdmi extender over cat 5e/6. i bought 2 50' cat 6 cables to go with it. the extender mentions it can produce up to 1080p with up to 70' of cat 6. if i connect the xbox directly to the projector, the extender works fine. video is there with no kinect lag noticeable. the problem then is i have no audio to the receiver and the projector has no audio outs.

if i connect the extender to the receiver, then have an hdmi out from the receiver to the projector, i get a blank screen. the xbox detects something because the status ring of lights do that "circle" thing indicating it got the proper "hdmi handshake". but i get nothing on the projector. :/

i was hoping the cat 6 extender thing-a-ma-bob would work so i could bury the cat 6 cables in the yard (inside of a 1" pvc pipe). however this revelation has put a temporary stop to that idea. must find a solution.

Did you get it working? I run 75' of cat6 with the powered cat6 to hdmi wallplates from Monoprice. I had to buy the ac adapters off amazon. I tried the passive plates and had the exact same problem you're having, but the powered ones work fine for me with 1080p/60.
post #1739 of 1759 Old 06-19-2012, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable View Post

The IGN Xbox podcast crew made the Skyrim voice stuff sound near useless. The Kinect SDK doesn't know how to process non-English commands well (dragon speak) so the latency was bad. They said the their was issues with the inventory stuff too, I guess button are not going away anytime soon.

Well, since I have actually used the voice commands in Skyrim, I can tell you that it opens up the game immensely. Have you played Skrim on your console? Changing dragon shouts is a pain...pause, scroll, button, scroll, scroll, scroll, assign, unpause. Ugh. Or you could just say "Dragonrend" or "Disarm" or "Fire Breath". Like I said, opens up the game to try new tactics and creates more fluid combat. And that doesn't even touch on assigning spells and weapons. And yes, you don't have to speak dragon...saying the shouts in English is easier and more consistent, so that quote kinda makes the IGN crew look uninformed.

onlysublime, as an everyday reader at AVS I know that tgable is the resident idio....um troll. Like most around here I usually just roll my eyes at his transparent trolling, but sometimes you got to call him out on his ignorance. Not that he will ever acknowledge it though...
post #1740 of 1759 Old 06-23-2012, 03:31 AM
AVS Special Member

alright, got my retail copy of Steel Battalion in the mail and was taking the tutorial through the paces and the first mission completed. I'm going to go back to see if any of these tips below need to be tweaked.

here's my tips on getting the controls rock solid:

I will say that some of the motions in the tutorial instructions are wrong or a little misleading.

You have to be very regimented in your technique and what hand to use. For example, all the instructions for the right hand have to be used with the right hand. All the instructions for the left hand have to be used for the left hand.

For example, to select what type of ammo you're going to use, you can only use your right hand. To pull the left instrument pod, you have to use your left hand.

I'll start off with the wrong information. In the tutorial, it says to select the heat rounds, you put your hand over the heat rounds button and then press downward. In the viewport viewing screen where the viewport takes up nearly the whole screen, this doesn't work. To select the heat rounds button, you put your right hand over the button and then push the hand forward. Pushing down on the button doesn't work except when you are in the cockpit view where the viewport is far away. The regular ammo button requires that you take your right hand across your body and then you move your right hand downward to press the button. Now, you can push the ammo buttons while in cockpit mode instead of viewport mode. I actually think it's easier to select the ammo buttons in cockpit mode but of course, that means switching from viewport mode to cockpit mode, then selecting ammo, then selecting viewport mode again. So there's the debate between the more imprecise shorter method or the more-steps-but-easier-to-do method.

The instrument pods on the right and left are probably the trickiest controls. To pull the right pod out toward you, you reach out at 2 o'clock (imagine that 12 o'clock is straight in front of you) and then you swing your arm out wide toward 3 o'clock. To push the pod back, if your arm is in the 3 o'clock position, you can swing it back toward the 2 o'clock position. If your arm is lying down, you can just raise your hand back to the 2 o'clock for it to swing back. If you're having problems with pulling the pod out and then having it automatically being pushed back and you're lowering your right arm, you can minimize this problem by dropping your right hand from the 3 o'clock position to down and out of view instead of just dropping your hand.

With the pod pull toward you, you can activate the light but raising your right hand to the
switch as if you're doing a "hail, Hitler" pose and then drop your arm. To turn off the light, raise your arm back to the "hail, Hitler pose. To vent the cockpit, you reach toward the handle, grab it and then put your hand straight down. To activate the self-destruct, take your right hand and cross over your body to get to the self-destruct switch and push forward.

The pod on the left is just the mirror of the pod on the right. So to pull it out, put your left hand out to about 10 o'clock and then pull your left hand outward toward 9 o'clock. To push the pod back, if your arm is in the 9 o'clock position, you can swing it back toward the 10 o'clock position. If your arm is lying down, you can just raise your hand back to the 10 o'clock for it to swing back. If you're having problems with pulling the pod out and then having it automatically being pushed back, you can minimize this problem by dropping your right hand from the 9 o'clock position to down and out of view instead of just dropping your hand.

For the periscope, raise your right hand straight up as if you want to answer a question in school. Don't be swinging your arm forward as you're raising your hand as a forward motion can be interpreted as you wanting to adjust the viewport screen.

To open the viewport, you hold your right arm horizontally forward, wait until the hand grabs the hand and then raise it to open or lower it to close it. This is why the periscope motion can be confused if you push your arm forward as you're raising your hand as the forward motion is for the viewport.

You can go from the periscope mode directly to the viewport mode. So if you're in periscope mode, just push both arms forward to switch to viewport mode. Similarly, to go from viewport mode to periscope mode, raise your right hand straight up. You do not have to go from viewport to cockpit to periscope nor do you have to go from periscope to cockpit to viewport.

When you start a mission, you're in the cockpit mode. To be able to see where you're going to go, you have to switch to viewport mode by holding both arms forward. When you hold your arms forward, do not elevate your arms too high. If you switch to viewport and grab and pull the viewport lid closed, then you are raising your arms too high. This is dependent on the height of your Kinect as well. My Kinect is high (above the TV). When I hold my arms forward horizontally such that my arms are parallel to the floor, I can trigger closure of the viewport lid. If I hold my arms forward lower such that the it's below horizontal, it's much more reliable for going to viewport mode.

If your hand is automatically on the grab handle for the viewport, raise it up to take it off the handle. If you pull it down, you'll close the viewport which is a problem I notice a lot of reviewers having.

The thing with the controls is that you can't be sloppy with your arm motions and you have to use the correct hand for the correct motion. Do not panic in the fog of war! Be deliberate in all your motions.

I'm going to record a tutorial video to show how I do the motions. And then the first few missions to show how I did them. But first, I want to have some fun. tongue.gif
Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page