post #181 of 1759 Old 09-16-2010, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slordak View Post

Is Kinect for dashboard navigation going to be too unresponsive, or too responsive?

One of the things that was pointed out regarding Kinect is that because there's no button, there's no way to definitively say, "Yes, select this item that's highlighted now" or "Go back, I didn't want that". If you highlight a box on the screen and move your hand forward or whatever, that item is selected whether you wanted it to be or not. Similarly, if we're talking voice controls, there's no button to say, "Listen to me now, I'm going to give you a command". People would argue that this is a good thing, i.e. that you don't have to have anything in your hands (ala the Wii or PlayStation Move), but I wonder how it'll actually work out. Too many accidental selections...?

As was said above the voice control will only respond when you say "xbox" first..... like "xbox play" "xbox pause" xbox eject" etc.

The accidental click when using gesture control is remedied by making you "hold" on an onscreen button for a few seconds (you can see in the dashboard videos when the circle runs around your hand icon). It will only click that button after the circle has run its course..... should solve that problem pretty nicely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1759 Old 09-16-2010, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagouar View Post

As was said above the voice control will only respond when you say "xbox" first..... like "xbox play" "xbox pause" xbox eject" etc.

The accidental click when using gesture control is remedied by making you "hold" on an onscreen button for a few seconds (you can see in the dashboard videos when the circle runs around your hand icon). It will only click that button after the circle has run its course..... should solve that problem pretty nicely.

Ahh, sorry, I wasn't aware of the full details. The videos aren't able to be viewed from my place of employment, sadly. I suppose Microsoft had indeed thought of that and had come up with some solution for it.
post #183 of 1759 Old 09-19-2010, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 519
I was watching some Youtube videos of TGS 2010 and I get the strange suspicion that Dance Masters (called Dance Evolution in Europe and Japan) will be more popular than Dance Central in Japan.

It seems to fit Japanese dancing styles better.

But the thing that caught my eye was the user interface. I think it might be better than the other Kinect games. Instead of having your hand be like a mouse cursor that you have to navigate around the screen and hold on screen buttons, it has hand positions for selection.

So if you want to select OK, you raise your hand straight up. As a result, they were navigating the UI fast! The girls were up and dancing right away.

Sure, the hold hand on a button to activate prevents accidental choices, but it takes like 1.5 seconds. and it's those little pauses that make a system feel unresponsive.

I guess with a new device, everyone is trying to figure out what is the best interface to use.
post #184 of 1759 Old 09-20-2010, 07:24 AM

After seeing some of the TGS stuff and having some gift certs at Amazon i went ahead and bit. I'm still not sure I'm sold on motion control but it's going to be fun playing with the interface and I'm sure I'm get some gaming miles out of it.

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone else when we're uncool. -Lester Bangs
post #185 of 1759 Old 09-28-2010, 11:43 PM

Liked: 93
There is a new video in the dash covering Kinect setup. The entire thing feels like they are trying to manage and lower expectations, as if the unit has been cost reduced so much that all of the cool technology has been pushed out of it. Really, I want to like Kinect, even after my mediocre experience with it at PAX, but every piece of marketing I see out of Microsoft in regards just serves to lower any excitement that I may have had for it.

Go watch the new video and see if you don't get the "We know that this won't work worth a damn in your home, but we already spent too much on it to not launch it" feeling.
post #186 of 1759 Old 09-29-2010, 05:31 AM

I watched the video last night, not sure I see it as that negative.

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone else when we're uncool. -Lester Bangs
post #187 of 1759 Old 09-29-2010, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
I saw that video, it was absolutely ridiculous. It felt more like a parody video from some PlayStation fansite. I really can't believe that Microsoft is actually going through with this.

The truth is... even if I wanted Kinect I could not get it because I don't have the room. I don't think I am the only one.
post #188 of 1759 Old 09-29-2010, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

There is a new video in the dash covering Kinect setup. The entire thing feels like they are trying to manage and lower expectations, as if the unit has been cost reduced so much that all of the cool technology has been pushed out of it. Really, I want to like Kinect, even after my mediocre experience with it at PAX, but every piece of marketing I see out of Microsoft in regards just serves to lower any excitement that I may have had for it.

Go watch the new video and see if you don't get the "We know that this won't work worth a damn in your home, but we already spent too much on it to not launch it" feeling.

+1 I'm in wait and see mode now. $150 is a lot of clams for motion control but no interesting games. If I'm going to shell out, I'm thinking about Move. I have a small living room~5-6 feel from tv to couch so I"m not sure I'll be able to do any of it.

XBOX 360 - KrazeeEyezKeith

PS4 - KrazeeKeith

post #189 of 1759 Old 09-29-2010, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Is this video viewable online or do I have to wait to get home to check it out?

I was kindof excited about Kinect, but my interest has severely waned and I am in "wait mode" until probably next year if some decent games come out for it.
post #190 of 1759 Old 09-29-2010, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 78
youtube version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ackilT_pUU

The alternative to the long list of stuff they want you to do is everyone winging it and screwing up the technology and games, which will happen. This stuff is very finicky.

Now playing: Destiny, Madden, Diablo 3, PvZ: GW
Recently Finished: Infamous: First Light, Watch Dogs
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
post #191 of 1759 Old 09-29-2010, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable View Post

youtube version:

The alternative to the long list of stuff they want you to do is everyone winging it and screwing up the technology and games, which will happen. This stuff is very finicky.

Thanks. Guess I was expecting something else based on the complaints above. That whole video just makes sense to me. Yeah, it's using a camera so don't have a bunch of crap lying around on your floor. It has a mic so don't set it on top or in front of a speaker. You're going to be moving around so have some space available. Duh.
post #192 of 1759 Old 09-29-2010, 12:28 PM

Liked: 93
Oh yeah, the whole video makes sense when taken as individual pieces. On the other hand, if we take the six foot suggestion and dig a little bit, you quickly realize that the entire nation of Japan doesn't have six feet of space in their living rooms. Hell, the place I just moved from after living there for 7 years only gave me 5 feet of Kinect space.

As I said, the video feels far more like expectation management than sensable tutorial.
post #193 of 1759 Old 09-29-2010, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Sure, anyone familiar with Kinect can see why MS is asking this for a living room configuration. The question, though, is why is a device so demanding being released in the first place.

I realize this is America, land of the McMansions but a lot of people really don't have that much space and have no desire to move their coffee table whenever they want to play a game. It's silly but MS has cast their lot in this tech so we will see.
post #194 of 1759 Old 09-29-2010, 01:12 PM

I'm confused why 6 feet of space and no clutter on the floor is demanding? I get some people don't have the 6 feet, but probably just as many do have the room. So outside of people who are gaming in their bedrooms and with small apartments (which I lived in for years), this really isn't out of the realm of possibility for a good chunk of the population. And they've been stating the 6 foot thing for months, so it's hardly shocking. As someone else stated, the lighting issue probably doesn't exist sine we've seen Kinect work in a nightclub. So that leaves picking up the rubbish off your floor, gasp, not that!

post #195 of 1759 Old 09-29-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_c_b View Post

I'm confused why 6 feet of space and no clutter on the floor is demanding? I get some people don't have the 6 feet, but probably just as many do have the room. So outside of people who are gaming in their bedrooms and with small apartments (which I lived in for years), this really isn't out of the realm of possibility for a good chunk of the population. And they've been stating the 6 foot thing for months, so it's hardly shocking. As someone else stated, the lighting issue probably doesn't exist sine we've seen Kinect work in a nightclub. So that leaves picking up the rubbish off your floor, gasp, not that!

If you have room for a full rock band set-up, you have room for kinnect.
post #196 of 1759 Old 09-29-2010, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

youtube version:

again, this is a video for ideal conditions. it has no more stringent rules than any other setup.

I see you have a lot of Move posts. Then you should know that Move is much more sensitive to distance to the TV than the Kinect in addition to being much more sensitive to lighting conditions.

joystiq review:
"The definition of "too close" or "too far" changed on a game-by-game basis, too. One would say eight feet, another five and yet another 3.3 (one meter). Playing Move games in my den - a small room where I sit maybe four feet from the TV - was hit or miss."

Again, Kinect games expect you to move your whole body so it's expected that you actually have to move your whole body, thus requiring space. You're not just spinning a controller around.
post #197 of 1759 Old 09-29-2010, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 35
You know if you have the big 55-60inch TVs people have now adays you probably are supposed to be 7-8 feet back anyway. I thought I was pretty close at 6. Guess its perfect for Kinect navigation from my couch. Not sure how game will work in between. Eventually I will get a flat screen and that will give me about 2-3 more feet.
post #198 of 1759 Old 09-29-2010, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

again, this is a video for ideal conditions. it has no more stringent rules than any other setup.

OT nonsense removed...

I never said otherwise, if you read my post, you would see that I was trying to make the point that the video is a good idea, that if you left it to people to "wing it" they would get it wrong and thus ruin the experience. I'm not sure how that led you to some rant about the Move.

Now playing: Destiny, Madden, Diablo 3, PvZ: GW
Recently Finished: Infamous: First Light, Watch Dogs
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
post #199 of 1759 Old 09-30-2010, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I never said otherwise, if you read my post, you would see that I was trying to make the point that the video is a good idea, that if you left it to people to "wing it" they would get it wrong and thus ruin the experience. I'm not sure how that led you to some rant about the Move.

Just trying to keep it real. Trying to keep you real too.

The product will succeed or fail on its own merits. No need for people to pile on the FUD.
post #200 of 1759 Old 09-30-2010, 03:37 PM

If you don't have space to jump and flail around like a gimp on crack (Forwards, Backwards, side to side) then Kinect gameplay isn't going to work for you.

Similarly if you live in an apartment on a floor other than the first you'll likely want to make sure you're not going to disturb the other tenants by jumping around.

For those with small playspaces, you can still benefit from the hand-waving UI gestures, voice commands and video functionality and some games like Joyride that won't require you to jump/move around. Is it worth $150? You decide.

It's cool technology and will only get better as Microsoft's software algorithms improve.
post #201 of 1759 Old 09-30-2010, 04:01 PM

I also think the space requirements is simply microsoft legal department playing 'cover your butt' for the company to prevent the potential onslaught of personal injury lawsuits due to playing the games with this device. If the camera can see you at 3 feet away you should be able to play in a compacted playspace. Just be careful you dont crash into any overhead lighting or furniture, cats, kids, TVs, etc.
post #202 of 1759 Old 09-30-2010, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

here's a new game that says november 2010 but i have no idea how they're going to meet that deadline since there has been no advertising for it...

the interesting part was a remake of root beer tapper. i loved this game when i was a kid!

playing pool sounds interesting. otherwise, the trailer doesn't look that great.

post #203 of 1759 Old 09-30-2010, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

here was a demonstration of their advertising tie-ins.

I wonder how they keep people from downloading pics off the web and scanning in for free. MS probably doesn't care. But I don't think Burger King wouldn't like it. It is kind of cool to scan in your toy and then use it as a throw toy for your cat.

That aside, I have zero interest in Kinectimals. I never understood the allure of Nintendogs or Eyepet or Kinectimals. Then again, I never got into Tamagotchi either.
post #204 of 1759 Old 09-30-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:

here's a new game that says november 2010 but i have no idea how they're going to meet that deadline since there has been no advertising for it...

the interesting part was a remake of root beer tapper. i loved this game when i was a kid!

playing pool sounds interesting. otherwise, the trailer doesn't look that great.

Beer Tapper! looks fun.

I would expect most third party titles to be delayed until 2011 unfortunately. Dance Central (Harmonix) and Your Fitness: Evolved (Ubisoft?) were obviously partnered with Microsoft from the get-go to get a initial "Killer App" (Dance Central) and a Wii-Fit clone and they likely got top-tier support and full access to pre-release SDKs etc to make the games. If I were a game developer I'd wait for the final SDK, specs and a market analysis of how many customers are available before commiting any sort of serious money to developing and marketing something.

While Kinect is cool - Microsoft still needs to convince people to shell out hundreds of dollars on their hardware. For us geeks, it makes sense. For the average joe - they'll want to be wowed.

It's my guess that the wow factor of controllerless gaming in the home coupled with voice commands/hand gestures ala Star Trek, and Home TV -> PC/Whatever video communications is going to be just enough to sell a bunch of 360's to the casual market.
post #205 of 1759 Old 09-30-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:

That aside, I have zero interest in Kinectimals. I never understood the allure of Nintendogs or Eyepet or Kinectimals. Then again, I never got into Tamagotchi either.

Good to hear that. I don't either however I have twin 3 year olds that will go Gaga over it .
post #206 of 1759 Old 10-01-2010, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 39
My only concern is the space I have to work with. I got Move the day it came out, and I had few problems being only 6 ft away from the TV and even lunging forward to whack some ping pong (sorry, I mean table tennis) balls. There are some shots in table tennis where I swear that I hit the danged ball but somehow it just glides right by. I just blame it on being too close to the TV and the camera losing sight of the sensor.

Xbox/PS/WiiU gamertag: GoNats
Apple Game Center: iGoNats

post #207 of 1759 Old 10-01-2010, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, yeah, you can call me a misogynistic pig who objectifies women if you want, but I just like watching girls play Kinect...

forget kevin butler (he is funny though). give me plenty o girls...

post #208 of 1759 Old 10-06-2010, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

there's a bunch of Euro videos coming out lately for Kinect.

Dance Paradise is a launch title for Kinect but is only debuting now.... the track list is interesting. I'm a little confused on what the different lanes are for....

50 Cent In da club
Akon Bellydancer
Atomic Kitten Ladies Night
Brick & Lace Love is wicked
Caesars Jerk It Out
Cassius The sound of violence
Cassius Toop toop
Daft Punk Around the world
David Guetta ft Kelly Rowland When love takes over
Debi Nova Drummer boy
Empire of the sun Walking on a dream
Fall out boy Dance Dance
Frankie goes to hollywood REMIX Relax REMIX
Geri Halliwell It's raining men
Gwen Stefani Hollaback Girl
Gwen Stefani What you are waiting for
Kenna Say goodbye to love
Kevin Rudolf ft Lil Wayne Let it rock
Kool & the Gang Celebration
Lady Gaga Bad Romance
Lady Gaga Poker Face
Laroux Bulletproof
Lil Wayne ft. Static Lollipop
Lily Allen F*** You
MC Hammer Can't Touch This
Mika Lollipop
Mika We are Golden
Nelly Hot in Herre
No Doubt Hey Baby
Orianthi According to you
Pixie lott Mama do
Pussycat Dolls When I grow up
Rihanna Disturbia
Shaggy Hey sexy lady
Snoop Dogg ft Pharrell Beautiful
Sophie Ellis bextor Murder on the dancefloor
Starsailor Four to the Floor
Supergrass Alright
Taio Cruz Break Your heart
Yelle A cause des garçons
post #209 of 1759 Old 10-07-2010, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm a little confused on what the different lanes are for....

My guess is that you can have 4 dancers, and if they have different difficulties selected, they'll be asked to do different moves. So, they follow the one in their lane.

PSN/XBL: bassmonkeee
Wii number: Who cares?
post #210 of 1759 Old 10-07-2010, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmonkeee View Post

My guess is that you can have 4 dancers, and if they have different difficulties selected, they'll be asked to do different moves. So, they follow the one in their lane.

Yeah, that make sense. I think my kid would really like this game. Me...not so much since I have zero rhythm.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page