Netflix: Roku vs. 360 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 08-31-2010, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone here use Roku? How does it compare to the 360 Netflix interface?

I only use Gold for Netflix. I'm considering dropping Gold and getting a dedicated Netflix box due to the upcoming XBL price hike. Another option is getting a BR player with Netflix built-in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-31-2010, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post

Anyone here use Roku? How does it compare to the 360 Netflix interface?

I only use Gold for Netflix. I'm considering dropping Gold and getting a dedicated Netflix box due to the upcoming XBL price hike. Another option is getting a BR player with Netflix built-in.

I went the route of getting a BR player with Netflix built-in. For me, that represented the easiest solution as I needed a BR player anyway... FWIW, I was able to pick up a LG 370 for around $130 last year around Xmas and it works great.

Salminella Now Better with Kinect: 360 PSN

Official member and mascot of the AVS' Xbox 360 Elite Club of Awesomeness
post #3 of 20 Old 08-31-2010, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
My buddy has a Roku...it's alright but I'm so used to the 360 interface that I don't like it.

And despite the 360 Gold price hike you'll probably be able to find prepaid cards a good bit cheaper still.

"To do a 'Kabob' you have to be both a tease, and a cockblocker. So the person you 'Kabob' gets his/her hopes up only to end up being severely disappointed." -jammybastard

Xbox Live GT - I Kabob I
post #4 of 20 Old 08-31-2010, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
all the roku's just dropped in price, too.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #5 of 20 Old 08-31-2010, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post

So you currently pay $50 a year just to watch Netflix streaming via your Xbox, but $60 a year is way too much?

Something doesn't sound right with that.
post #6 of 20 Old 08-31-2010, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Flatus View Post

So you currently pay $50 a year just to watch Netflix streaming via your Xbox, but $60 a year is way too much?

Something doesn't sound right with that.

I bought a 12-month Gold membership sometime in May because I wanted to get into 1 vs. 100 or other potential online game shows. Next month they cancelled 1 vs. 100.

Netflix is all that's left that I use Gold for, and the recently announced price increase just makes the decision easier.
post #7 of 20 Old 08-31-2010, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 59
The Roku is GREAT. Until recently we had one in my daughter's room (Replaced with a WDHDTV+ for MKC playback as well as Netflix). The Roku is certainly the next best device after the 360. I think the top end Roku is only $99 right now. A STEAL.

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

post #8 of 20 Old 09-01-2010, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, they just dropped the prices. The Roku boxes work great, but can't say I'd recommend adding another device when you could just get a Blu-Ray player that does it for a few bucks more (eliminating a device in your setup).
post #9 of 20 Old 09-01-2010, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

Yeah, they just dropped the prices. The Roku boxes work great, but can't say I'd recommend adding another device when you could just get a Blu-Ray player that does it for a few bucks more (eliminating a device in your setup).

Count me in for the Roku. It's compact, starts up instantaneously, is dead quiet, and is available with built-in WiFi for a steal of a price. It's ridiculously easy to to use and comes with a nice remote that allows you to add items to your instant queue as well.

Here's a link to the Roku Channel Store -- many are free.

Hope this helps.

A Nice Radio Station with Great Music. For Those That Like That Sort of Thing: RadioParadise.com

post #10 of 20 Old 09-01-2010, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Get an HDTivo or Premier. However, if you really want a bluray player and can get a Netflix using model for about $100, then that's a decent deal.

I originally considered Roku myself, but wanted an HD capable Tivo so there was no need for a Roku. When I looked at hooking up my gym TV I found a bluray player to be perfect - throw in a disc while I work out, or stream Netflix. Considering it was only about $20 more than a Roku and wireless, it was an easy choise.

*see that Roku's have wireless now, nice. However, would your rather buy a Roku and another $100 on a bluray player, or just spend the $100-120 on the bluray, not need a Roku, use less rack space, less wires running to your receiver/TV, and one less power cord.
post #11 of 20 Old 09-01-2010, 07:18 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow View Post

Get an HDTivo or Premier. However, if you really want a bluray player and can get a Netflix using model for about $100, then that's a decent deal.

I originally considered Roku myself, but wanted an HD capable Tivo so there was no need for a Roku. When I looked at hooking up my gym TV I found a bluray player to be perfect - throw in a disc while I work out, or stream Netflix. Considering it was only about $20 more than a Roku and wireless, it was an easy choise.

*see that Roku's have wireless now, nice. However, would your rather buy a Roku and another $100 on a bluray player, or just spend the $100-120 on the bluray, not need a Roku, use less rack space, less wires running to your receiver/TV, and one less power cord.

I hate Netflix on TIVO. To me, it just doesnt compare to the 360's. I havent seen it on the Premier so I dont know if its any different, but it just seems very bland and generic and the HD-Tivo.

Consider the unparalleled advantage, of a natural disaster that's impossible to manage.
post #12 of 20 Old 09-01-2010, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Another (possible) option is that the AppleTV is rumored to be upgraded today and include Netflix streaming...

Salminella Now Better with Kinect: 360 PSN

Official member and mascot of the AVS' Xbox 360 Elite Club of Awesomeness
post #13 of 20 Old 09-01-2010, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpthree View Post

I hate Netflix on TIVO. To me, it just doesnt compare to the 360's. I havent seen it on the Premier so I dont know if its any different, but it just seems very bland and generic and the HD-Tivo.

True, the menu presentation isn't so good, but it's virtually silent, less work for the Xbox, and everyone should have a Tivo.
post #14 of 20 Old 09-01-2010, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpthree View Post

I have Netflix on both the 360 and TiVo Premiere on the same system, and I prefer the TiVo. Although I agree the 360's Netflix interface is much better and seems to operate smoother (less glitches), the Premiere has the advantage of being a DVR, so it's usually already on when we are watching TV.

Also, my 360 Elite isn't too loud, but it still has a noticeable operating noise level. The Premiere is nearly silent.

Sub-1080p/60fps is not next-gen.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #15 of 20 Old 09-01-2010, 09:16 AM

Agreed, while the Tivo interface is slower and less pretty than the 360's, the Tivo is always on while I'm watching TV. No waiting to boot a system.

I also have a Roku unit for the bedroom. We like it. It's interface is nice. You can add to your queue now as well. If you don't online game on the 360, I'd say skip the Live Gold membership and get a Roku or a Blu Ray player with Netflix streaming, if you deem playing Blu Rays necessary.
post #16 of 20 Old 09-01-2010, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 493
if you're going to spend this much money on a Roku, isn't it better to get something like the WD TV Live Plus? you can play a heck of a lot more stuff than just Netflix for pretty much the same cost.

I don't even understand why Roku is still around. for that price, you can buy so many different boxes that play netflix and do other stuff as well.
post #17 of 20 Old 09-01-2010, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, you do get more than "just Netflix" with a Roku (Amazon VOD, Pandora, MLB.tv and some others) but I agree....I'm doubt I would get one now rather than another box (like a Blu-Ray player that has similar options). Maybe if the Roku was like $20, rather than a comparable price to getting something else.
post #18 of 20 Old 09-01-2010, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

Well, you do get more than "just Netflix" with a Roku (Amazon VOD, Pandora, MLB.tv and some others) but I agree....I'm doubt I would get one now rather than another box (like a Blu-Ray player that has similar options). Maybe if the Roku was like $20, rather than a comparable price to getting something else.

I just bought an lg blu ray player from amazon for $160 with the wifi built in. Plays Pandora, mlbtv, netflix, and several others (not sure about amazon vod). The Netflix interface is a little clunky (if you've used the ps3 netflix disk it is exactly the same), but works well enough. Needed a blu-ray player for the bedroom anyway, and now use netflix on it almost every night. Firefly from the bed ftw!

Here's the link:
http://www.amazon.com/LG-BD570-Netwo...0&sr=8-1-fkmr0

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

post #19 of 20 Old 09-02-2010, 02:46 PM

I've been streaming netflix since it was first introduced on the 360 and I really love it. Now we have netflix streaming functionality with a tivo, wii, and ps3.

I now want to get Netflix on my tv upstairs in the bedroom. It's a 25" hdtv. I don't need/want a bluray player for that tv. Was thinking that the $70 Roku would be a good option. Thoughts?
post #20 of 20 Old 09-02-2010, 06:54 PM

Liked: 21
The main thing that puts the 360 ahead of Tivo is the percentage watched is shown on the 360 and not on the Tivo (unless I've over looked it.) That means a ton to me since I'll jump around on series watching and I hate trying to go back and find where I left off. But saying that, if I'm watching TV and I know where I'm supposed to be, I will use the Tivo at times.

Its all preference though, pretty much all of them are good enough to use without worry.

Consider the unparalleled advantage, of a natural disaster that's impossible to manage.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page