Netflix Canada Is it here (finally)? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 09-22-2010, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I just read an article stating netflix has come to Canada. Can anyone confir, this? BTW I read the article on my cell phone, I will try to find the "full" verison on the globe and mail.com

Edit: Update I signed up for a netflix.ca trial, apparently xbox 360 isn't coming untill later this fall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 09-23-2010, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Yes, I started the one month trial yesterday. So far I'm impressed by the quality of the HD instant streaming and also the fact that a lot of movies are available in HD.

We'll see over the next month whether there is enough content there for me to subscribe. Still a good deal for 8 bucks a month.
post #3 of 20 Old 09-23-2010, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 54
No Xbox Live support for Netflix in Canada = No Netflix in Canada for me. I'll be interested once Live Canada is upgraded to turn on Netflix support. Why Xbox Canada and Netflix wouldn't have co-ordinated this, I have no idea.

XBOX 360 - KrazeeEyezKeith

PS4 - KrazeeKeith

post #4 of 20 Old 09-23-2010, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracat View Post

No Xbox Live support for Netflix in Canada = No Netflix in Canada for me. I'll be interested once Live Canada is upgraded to turn on Netflix support. Why Xbox Canada and Netflix wouldn't have co-ordinated this, I have no idea.

It's because Microsoft releases dashboard updates on their own schedule, whereas Netflix wanted to roll out Netflix in Canada immediately. Hence, there's going to be some difference in terms of schedules and goals.
post #5 of 20 Old 09-23-2010, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
If you are only getting Netflix because of Xbox Live streaming, then you'll probably be disappointed and complain about the selection of movies and how new releases aren't there.

If you evaluate the basic DVD-based Netflix service and decide that it's right for you, then the Xbox streaming is like free gravy and it will make you happy.
post #6 of 20 Old 09-23-2010, 04:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Flatus View Post

If you are only getting Netflix because of Xbox Live streaming, then you'll probably be disappointed and complain about the selection of movies and how new releases aren't there.

If you evaluate the basic DVD-based Netflix service and decide that it's right for you, then the Xbox streaming is like free gravy and it will make you happy.

There is only instant streaming in Canada. No movies in the mail like the US.

I set up my PS3 last night with it and it worked fine. The selection isn't as big as it is in the US but you takes what you can gets I guess.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #7 of 20 Old 09-23-2010, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slordak View Post

It's because Microsoft releases dashboard updates on their own schedule, whereas Netflix wanted to roll out Netflix in Canada immediately. Hence, there's going to be some difference in terms of schedules and goals.

Sony was able to roll out disc-free support for their free service in Canada, and Microsoft couldn't do anything for their premium Gold customers?

PSN/XBL: bassmonkeee
Wii number: Who cares?
post #8 of 20 Old 09-23-2010, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmonkeee View Post

Sony was able to roll out disc-free support for their free service in Canada, and Microsoft couldn't do anything for their premium Gold customers?

They raised the price of gold, what else do you want?

Now playing: Destiny, Madden, Diablo 3, PvZ: GW
Recently Finished: Infamous: First Light, Watch Dogs
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
post #9 of 20 Old 09-23-2010, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Since my comp crashes a lot it's no good for me and I don't have any advanced devices that support it. Didn't like the selection anyway. No old series nor old movies I wanted were available in Canada (they are in the US though). There is a good interview with the CEO of Netflix on the problems of setting up shop in Canada from the CBC website:

http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2010/0...ix-canada.html

Hey! Looks like I just won a complete Bell HD system from a contest I entered, so at least I have no hardware cost for this new toy. The software bill though...yikes!
post #10 of 20 Old 09-30-2010, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Canadian firm Zip.ca has offered a similar DVD by mail service to Canadians for years, and says it will soon launch an internet-based service.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2010/0...#ixzz112fy2lUt

Sounds interesting, maybe they will have new releases. I'm still surpised Microsoft is letting the compitors get a jump on them, right after a price increase of all things to.
post #11 of 20 Old 11-02-2010, 02:33 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Its on Xbox live after the update. I just signed up and watched a movie. I saw the streaming quality is much better than I expected. The collection isn't great but I guess they will build it in due course and with enough support. I am long time zip member but if you don't live in the major hubs the mail times kill the value in my opinion. Good for watching blu rays. Has anyone tried the 5.1 sound videos on PS3 as I thought it was done enabled in the last update to include the Dolby Digital Plus support I am wondering if it was ever rolled out in Canada.
post #12 of 20 Old 11-02-2010, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

What kind of selection do they have for Canada? Is it all SD?

PS4 - KrazeeKeith

post #13 of 20 Old 11-02-2010, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
The Canadian selection is .. ok... no newer releases (such as Princess and the Frog) but still a lot of content.

there are HD selections as well..

PSN: Wrassle
360: Burnt of Wrassl
post #14 of 20 Old 11-02-2010, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey wait there are opions other then stero for xbox use? Right now I do all my computing on a laptop, which is easy to hook up to my avr/big screen. It left me wondering why I sign back up for gold just for netflix, I'll do it for surround sound!
post #15 of 20 Old 11-02-2010, 10:09 PM
Advanced Member

Well I have only seen stereo content so far but apparently 5.1 is not even available in US for xbox. From what I have read it was supposed to be enabled for PS3 with new update via Dolby Digital Plus which sounds very kewl. Unfortunately I don;t have my PS3 anymore and am just using my xbox to stream. Anyone in Canada tried 5.1 on the PS3?
Selection is good I think for what you pay lot of indie movies a bit scarce on new titles and the selection for TV shows seems to be good as well. Streaming has been flawless so far.
post #16 of 20 Old 11-03-2010, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Their websites states Samsung blu-ray players with internet connectivity, but it does not state which models. Anyone here know?
post #17 of 20 Old 11-03-2010, 10:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebloggs13 View Post

Their websites states Samsung blu-ray players with internet connectivity, but it does not state which models. Anyone here know?

you can search samsung bluray players on amazon and filter on the netflix tag

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #18 of 20 Old 11-03-2010, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Just signed up for the free month, it's cool! I'm down wit' it. Only thing driving me nuts is this 'not available' or whatever it's called. It seems they have stuff in their catgalog that is not in their catalog (?) Do they have that as a way to measure what people are looking at and determine what they should add in the future or what? It just annoys me stuff I'm looking for is acknowledged by them but they don't have it.

PS4 - KrazeeKeith

post #19 of 20 Old 11-04-2010, 06:03 AM

The greyed out selections are available to US customers but not available in Canada. Kinda sucks that we can see what we're missing. If you go to netflix.ca & check out the browse selection tab, down at the very bottom is a spot where you can select the American site. When it re-routes you it gives a warning saying that you cant sign up because your ip's not american...but you can see all the newer releases & series that are available south of the border.

I hope they get more selection for the canadian version.
post #20 of 20 Old 11-04-2010, 09:14 PM
Advanced Member

Well Canada always plays second fiddle to US when it comes to content and not to mention prices for electronics or rather just about anything. I think its a matter of time and number of users that sign up for netflix before have a respectable selection.
Nonetheless I think its a good start as I don't have to deal with the pesky canada post anymore now to find a reasonably priced ISP that has generous limits for my use.
Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page