Xbox Arcade vs Elite - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 10-02-2010, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 11
HHgreg apparently is clearing out old stocks of xbox elites and arcade. I know that the xbox arcades dont have the harddrives. What other things is it missing.

So if i am playing agame on the xbox arcade it wont be able to save it?

Let me know if i should get the xbox arcade... the deals are good ........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 10-02-2010, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I believe also that it is also missing a headset.

I would get one with a HDD. That way you ensure that you can install your games, buy DLC, and do whatever you need to...

What kind of deals are we talking about?

Salminella has become legend (or something like that): PSN
post #3 of 21 Old 10-02-2010, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 498
If the Arcade has the 512mb which it should then yes you can save your games on it. You also have the option to use two thumb drives which will give you 34gb of space available for your saves, game trailers, demos and DLC to download. Then you will have the option to upgrade to any of the available hardrives at your convience.

The 5.0 is here
post #4 of 21 Old 10-02-2010, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

If the Arcade has the 512mb which it should then yes you can save your games on it. You also have the option to use two thumb drives which will give you 34gb of space available for your saves, game trailers, demos and DLC to download. Then you will have the option to upgrade to any of the available hardrives at your convience.

Arcade built-in 512MB flash storage is also used to store 128MB NXE. It also reserve some of the storage for game patches. Best is add USB flash storage as additional storage. Each USB storage is limited to 16GB - 512MB for game patches. After you subtract all reserved on USB storage, max usable space per USB storage is 15GB. Or 30GB if you have two 16GB USB Storage.

That is still more than 20GB X360 hard drive that only has 12GB usable disk space.
post #5 of 21 Old 10-02-2010, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex3D View Post

Arcade built-in 512MB flash storage is also used to store 128MB NXE. It also reserve some of the storage for game patches. Best is add USB flash storage as additional storage. Each USB storage is limited to 16GB - 512MB for game patches. After you subtract all reserved on USB storage, max usable space per USB storage is 15GB. Or 30GB if you have two 16GB USB Storage.

That is still more than 20GB X360 hard drive that only has 12GB usable disk space.

And there goes the more accurate amount of space that you will get with the arcade and sticks

The 5.0 is here
post #6 of 21 Old 10-02-2010, 08:30 PM

Liked: 93
While 30GB spread across two USB drives is a reasonable amount of space, you still don't get all of the hard drive advantages of the full caching system and space for things like Reach or Crackdown co-op or Burnout Paradise multiplayer (if memory serves).

In other words, a 360 with a hard drive is still the only way to have a fully functional 360.
post #7 of 21 Old 10-03-2010, 04:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 75
DLJ makes a good point, as usual.

A good example of this is bad company 2 where, if you have the game installed, you get a 3-4 second advantage at the start of the game.

In the map White Pass, you can get to and set the MCOM before some of the other team is loaded into the map...

Salminella has become legend (or something like that): PSN
post #8 of 21 Old 10-03-2010, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I bought an arcade this past summer, no headset, hdd, or hd cables to the tv. Next day got a 120gb hd and headset on craigslist for $50. Total spent $150 not bad.

PSN: AWDdsm
XBL: ORDEProject
post #9 of 21 Old 10-04-2010, 09:32 AM

Liked: 10
You can save games on the memory card or USB sticks

You'll need a hard drive for certain features (e.g. Halo's saved films, online co-op/firefight matchmaking)
post #10 of 21 Old 10-04-2010, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

While 30GB spread across two USB drives is a reasonable amount of space, you still don't get all of the hard drive advantages of the full caching system and space for things like Reach or Crackdown co-op or Burnout Paradise multiplayer (if memory serves).

In other words, a 360 with a hard drive is still the only way to have a fully functional 360.

As for DVD install, you can still use USB flash storage to install the entire DVD disc just like having a hard drive. The performance depends on the USB flash stick. If you use the high speed flash, then it can be closer to hard drive performance.

By the time you spent on buying high speed USB flash sticks, it could be cheaper to get a 20GB X360 hard drive. My suggestion is get a cheap pre-owned 20GB X360 hard drive and use a cheaper USB flash stick as extra storage if needed. Also an advantage of having a X360 hard drive is it adds backwards compatibility for many Xbox1 games.

This is how I setup the storage on my old 20GB X360. I only use the 20GB hard drive for Gamertag, NXE, saved games, game patches and in-game caching. The hard drive still has about 9-10GB of free space. That is enough to install 1-2 DVD games that I play more often to the hard drive for faster game loading. As for DLC, demo, video or anything else, I store them on an USB flash storage.
post #11 of 21 Old 10-04-2010, 02:11 PM

"As for DVD install, you can still use USB flash storage to install the entire DVD disc just like having a hard drive."

Yes you can, but I wasn't talking about DVD installs at all. I was talking about the 360's hard drive temporary caching system, which is not active with internal memory nor USB drives. The caching only works with a hard drive, and that fact means that particular features in games that require the caching system *only* work with a hard drive attached.
post #12 of 21 Old 10-04-2010, 02:18 PM

What the price difference between the Arcade and the Elite?
post #13 of 21 Old 10-05-2010, 03:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks all for the advise. I saw this deal on slickdeals but realised after posting that its a YMMV at HHGreg stores.
Someone got the arcade for aroud $88 and elite for $190-$220.

If I dont find it for that deal then I just will buy the slim from costco. Atleast they have a good return policy.
post #14 of 21 Old 10-05-2010, 11:10 AM

You can get 250GB X360 on Ebay for about 30~50 dollars but their from China. Don't know how you feel about that but getting a Arcade for 90 dollars then 50 bucks for a 250GB HDD isn't that bad.
post #15 of 21 Old 10-07-2010, 08:26 AM

Location: Enjoy Maine. 9 months of winter, 3 months of poor sledding
Wasn't there a dashboard update recently that disabled all the China HDDs? I'm sure I read that somewhere.
post #16 of 21 Old 10-07-2010, 11:32 AM

No, but it can happen at any moment.
post #17 of 21 Old 10-07-2010, 11:45 AM

I got the Arcade and use it with two USB 16 drives, I'm not a big gamer, so I put the money into the USB drives which will always have many other uses at sometime, as my xbox just gets dusty.
post #18 of 21 Old 10-09-2010, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The deal I was originally was after is not available in my area through HH greg.

I wanted to know if anyone has bought a used xbox 360 from gamestop. if so which version and if you has any problems after buying the used system. I had the 20 gb xbox 360 but had 3 red rings of light and returned to costco.

So I am reluctant to buy the older version and also anywhere apart from costco does not have a good reurn policy. So I want to know the buying experience from gamestop.
post #19 of 21 Old 10-14-2010, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post

The deal I was originally was after is not available in my area through HH greg.

I wanted to know if anyone has bought a used xbox 360 from gamestop. if so which version and if you has any problems after buying the used system. I had the 20 gb xbox 360 but had 3 red rings of light and returned to costco.

So I am reluctant to buy the older version and also anywhere apart from costco does not have a good reurn policy. So I want to know the buying experience from gamestop.

The older versions is not about if it will die...just when. Go to costco and get yourself a slim and enjoy worry free gaming. I don't mean that the new ones won't die on you as well. The hassle free return policy.
post #20 of 21 Old 10-14-2010, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 677
Flash drives with good speed are not cheap. All those amazing prices you see with 16GB drives, 8GB drives, etc. are usually the slowest drives around and slow drives perform horribly, especially on writes.

And people's experiences with flash drives are usually with small files like documents and images so they don't realize how slow their drives really are. Try regularly copying big ISOs that are 4GB+ to normal flash drives and you go crazy.

So if you're going to buy fast flash drives, you're losing the price disparity between flash and the hard drive.

I have both a Jasper Elite and a Jasper arcade so I feel very safe about them lasting a normal lifetime. But once you get used to installing games on the hard drive, it's hard to go back to running games from DVD.

But if you're fine with running games off the DVD, the arcade is perfectly good. There's plenty of onboard storage for most things. But as the Xbox dash gets more complex, you'll start to have to depend on more memory. The Kinect dash requires 197 MB of storage space. so that 512 MB doesn't look so hot on the arcade. MS put 4 GB on the new arcade-S to give more breathing room.
post #21 of 21 Old 10-14-2010, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post

do not buy a used 360 from gamestop. they only power it up and see if it runs. they don't check if it's been banned or modded, and their idea of inspection is very cursory.

to some, they'd love the idea of getting a pre-modded system from gamestop. but if you want to go play online, you need a clean system.

I think as long as it's a Jasper or newer, you're safe. as long as you're willing to run the risk of buying a banned console.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page