Enslaved: Odyssey to the West - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 10-02-2010, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Anyone else tried the demo? Controls could be a little better, but looks like a big, fun, pretty game.

Amazon has a $10 credit with preorder so I'm seriously considering getting it and trying to blast through it before Fallout: NV comes out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 10-02-2010, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow View Post

Anyone else tried the demo? Controls could be a little better, but looks like a big, fun, pretty game.

Really enjoyed the demo when I played it on PS3. Went through it a few times, even. Great setting. Great characters. Great action pacing. But when I played it on 360, the increased framerate made the sluggish, unresponsive controls stand out much more. Now I'm not so positive about it.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #3 of 31 Old 10-02-2010, 09:15 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow View Post

Amazon has a $10 credit with preorder so I'm seriously considering getting it and trying to blast through it before Fallout: NV comes out.

I really liked the demo, I'll be renting it as I don't see much worth after 1 play. But it is a really pretty game and I had a lot of fun. Some gameplay wonkiness when jumping onto ledges and things, he would just sort of warp to some of them.

Do you really despise the girl the way I do? She could not F the guy more throughout that story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Really enjoyed the demo when I played it on PS3. Went through it a few times, even. Great setting. Great characters. Great action pacing. But when I played it on 360, the increased framerate made the sluggish, unresponsive controls stand out much more. Now I'm not so positive about it.

I'll have to check out the PS3 demo, then.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #4 of 31 Old 10-02-2010, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
graphics, art style are fantastic. but the overly-simplified gameplay is a turnoff. way too much handholding during the platform segments, and mindless button-smashing during the combat. I'm not sure what prompts game designers to go this route, but it makes for a boring experience imo. too bad, because the aesthetic they've created here is fantastic.

XBOX: terryb28
PSN: terryb30
post #5 of 31 Old 10-02-2010, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

I'll have to check out the PS3 demo, then.

Sort of like taking a mildly unattractive woman on a date to a dimly lit restaurant.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #6 of 31 Old 10-03-2010, 01:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryb28 View Post

graphics, art style are fantastic. but the overly-simplified gameplay is a turnoff. way too much handholding during the platform segments, and mindless button-smashing during the combat. I'm not sure what prompts game designers to go this route, but it makes for a boring experience imo. too bad, because the aesthetic they've created here is fantastic.

this is the same dev who made Heavenly sword for ps3 which was far from a simple game combat wise. The demo was likely just that a demo. I expect the game to demand more precision out of your commands as the game goes on.
post #7 of 31 Old 10-03-2010, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I am debating between this and Castlevania. I am going to get both eventuallly but only want to get one now due Fallout and Fable being so close to coming out.
post #8 of 31 Old 10-03-2010, 08:48 AM

Liked: 11
I pre-orded it and then cancelled it today after seeing the reviews.. Not enough gameplay and to buggy..
post #9 of 31 Old 10-03-2010, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 64
IGN posted a pretty positive review of the game giving it an 8/10. I tried the demo and my impressions pretty much lined with the the review: a good game that loses a couple of points for pretty standard combat and generally stiff controls but makes up for it with a very interesting story. The game didn't seem particularly hard and the emphasis seemed to be on platforming in favor of too much combat. Kind of reminiscent of the Prince of Persia games in that regard.

The demo pretty much hooked me in when
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
the guy you control is on the wing of the ship and it crashes thru the outstretched arm of the Statue of Liberty.

That was pretty unexpected and it immediately changed the whole tenor of the demo. While I was disappointed with Ninja Theory's last game, Heavenly Sword, I'm still planning on giving this a try next week.
post #10 of 31 Old 10-05-2010, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Enslaved is a funny beast. Overall I think it's a great game, but you have to be able to get past some (slightly) flimsy mechanics and odd design choices.

The gist of it is you play Monkey--an agile, super strong animal man who's use to living a solitary life--who is forced to work with Trip in order to survive. The ultimate goal is to get to her back to her village so she can return home.

See Trip's hacked a headband to control Monkey--so she can take advantage of his brute strength--giving Monkey jolts of pain when he doesnt listen to orders. Further, if Trip's heart ever stops then the headband will make sure to kill Monkey outright! Along the way the two must work together fighting dormant mechs in NY city. The relationship is, as expected, very strained. It's not as drab as it might sound though as I found it interesting to watch the relationship flex and evolve. Essentially it's Escape From (a lush green) New York, but 150 years in the future--and no Kurt Russell.

Voice Acting
The voice acting is exceptional. Andy Serkis in particular does an amazing job portraying Monkey. The cutescenes tend to consist of close-up conversation that push the story forward. I felt like the mostly payed off and were well paced. It's refreshing to see something of this quality. Particularly the expressive nature of the faces and gestures, I found, are the most intruiging. It's a nice change of pace from the expressionless (face of) chuck in Dead Rising 2 or some of the folks in Halo Reach. That's not to say those games characters dont have emotion or expressivness, they just dont compare to the ones in Enslaved.

Gameplay
The feel of the game is mostly responsive and movement feels good, but I did find the jump mechanic to be surprisingly laggy. When pressing the jump button, Monkeys animation kicks in and he slightly crouches, then pushes himeself into the air. The animation causes a delay that measures out to probably 1/2 a second. It's just enough to make it feel slightly off to me. Also, running and jumping doesnt seem to work like it should. There are these odd hotspots where the jump mechanic cant happen. It's odd.

The mechanics that involve getting around are very similar to that of Uncharted. Jumping from one far-off ledge to another seem to happen automagically once you're standing in the right spot, every ledge or grab-point has a slight glimmer to it to let you know where to go and the game doesnt allow you to fall off ledges from heights. Platforming is essentially very easy to accomplish since you cant fall to your death. It's a little like Prince of Persia but without Elika to save you because there is no falling.

It's also fair to mention that the game leans--more so than Uncharted--on environmental puzzles. They're mostly fun to figure out, make sense avoiding frustration and tend to be easy enough to figure out. There were two instances where I got really stuck--and one of those situations had a completely obvious solution.

Some people call these things the auto-win mechanic, and I think that's probably a fair assessment. It's up to you to determine if this is something that's a turn off. Personally I'm a fan of Uncharted and didnt mind it there or here. However there were times I felt it was holding my hands a little too much and I just wanted to tear loose!

Conclusion
Enslaved is an exciting game! It starts out with a bang so you're drawn in instantly. If that doesnt do it then the excellently paced story probably will. The fighting is fun enough,though it might run a little stale by the end. It has some of the best voice acting and animated segments since Uncharted 2 or Mass Effect 2. Run time should hit around the 7-9 hour mark without much replay value.

If you're in the mood for a exciting action game then pick this game up.
post #11 of 31 Old 10-05-2010, 05:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 169
My quick $.02,

Played for about an hour so far and the control needs some work, over-all gameplay is fun and the presentation is well done.

* Several hours in and the control still needs some serious work, not something that I am adjusting to, it's just plain off . The game is not broken, it can be played as is but they really need to tighten things up.

Jason
post #12 of 31 Old 10-08-2010, 12:00 PM

Liked: 12
Wow.. once you get past chapter 6 it really picks up. The graphics are outstanding and each chapter is more epic then the last. I'm starting to forgive the crappy camera control a little more because the story and style of the game is really good.
Reminds me a lot of the old Heavy Metal magazine artwork. Monkey reminds me of Randrex.(sp?)

So glad I took a chance and bought it. I could see myself replaying it even though it's so linear. I was a bit put off with all the hand holding (glowing jump points) But the farther I get the more I appreciate why they did it. If they hadn't it would have been pretty tough to figure out where to go. (maybe they should have a expert mode where you can turn it off along with the 'dragonfly scan')
post #13 of 31 Old 10-08-2010, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Rented it. Beat it. Good game, with various flaws. Control needs work, combat was tedious and boring.

Play the game for the story and overall progression of the levels.

I'm afraid that Ninja Theory is gonna make the new DMC play like ****.

Oh yeah, the game is based off an old chinese novel story Journey To The West. The monkey helps a priest journey to the west. A pig is also in the tale...

Anyone who knows about Dragonball also knows Goku is based off the monkey as well, Nimbus cloud in hand.
post #14 of 31 Old 10-09-2010, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I completed my play-though of this game last night. The voice acting was great. The graphics were very nice (kinda reminded me of borderlands but with more green). The animations were good, I particually liked the scene where Monkey does a double-take... not sure I have seen that in a game before. The game-play was not too frustrating but not horribly easy like I thought it would be either. The story was good but kind of sad (I guess one should expect that in a post apocalyptic game). The ending makes you go "hmmm" but I didnt think it "just ended" like some reviewers said. In fact I am not sure how else you do end it considering what decision is made at the end.

I only had a few issues with the camera and mostly those were related to NT wanting to show off some if it’s cool graphics. The only part of the combat I had issues with was aiming shooting weapons, it seemed a bit loose. Oh and I didn’t particularly like the screaming at me telling me what I need to do when I am in the middle of fighting a bunch of bad guys. But then I guess Monkey wouldn’t appreciate it either so maybe thats what they call "immersion" (as I yelled some unpleasant things back ).

Good game, I don't regret paying $60 for it as I like to support good games but for those more frugal it would be better to get it at $30 as it is short and there is not going to be a lot of replay....unless you like playing a good game over multiple times.
post #15 of 31 Old 10-09-2010, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just finished it myself a couple hours ago and I'd say AHDTV was spot on.
post #16 of 31 Old 10-09-2010, 07:14 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Well I'm still waiting for gamefly to send me one, I have it signed up on both systems, just in case one comes in before the other.

I hope Monkey crushes the girls head in his hands after she takes the head band off. That's just the emotion she evoked from me after playing the demo.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #17 of 31 Old 10-10-2010, 03:13 PM

Hope you get the 360 version over the PS3. The PS3 version has a lot of reported slow framerate, although the 360 isn't perfect either.
post #18 of 31 Old 10-10-2010, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I beat the game after a good 10 hours of gameplay, taking my time to explore as thoroughly as possible (though I still have lots of stuff to find and do). Overall, I enjoyed it a lot though there were a few things that I thought could have been a little better:

- To me the game felt more like Prince of Persia in the post-Judgment Day Terminator universe with a little Matrix thrown in there as well.

- Even though the game was very linear, the world you inhabit and explore really drew me in and while you were limited as to where you could go the sights were still impressive.

- The game's story was probably its strongest suit, evolving organically and in a convincing and ultimately moving manner. The excellent voice work really helped to sell the story as well.

- The platforming controls were serviceable and never really got in the way but didn't feel as smooth or fluid as the Prince of Persia or Tomb Raider games. In particular changing directions while platforming felt stiff a lot of times and I often had to let the stick go back to its neutral setting between each movement. The game sometimes seemed to trip up on chaining platforming moves.

- Piloting Monkey's cloud was a lot of fun; I could almost envision a game that used that mechanism exclusively.

- The combat controls weren't particularly deep but got the job done; they were easy to learn and the few combos in the game were easy to pull off. Its the kind of game where you could progress just by using a few basic moves or you could get fancy if you liked.

- His name notwithstanding, Monkey's animations and general appearance were a little to primate-like at times to make him totally relateable as a character to me; his animations when swinging around reminded me of King Kong, which is not surprising since Andy Serkis did the mo-cap.

- The introduction of a certain character about 2/3 of the way and his attempts and introducing humor and a little tension didn't really work for me and seemed to upset the balance of the story. That little subplot really didn't add anything to the relationship between Trip & Monkey.

- The ending, while more thorough than what we get in most games, still felt incomplete, like they had more to say and for whatever reason weren't allowed to.

In spite of some minor issues, overall I definitely feel like I got my money's worth on this one and will definitely do another playthru at some point. As someone who prefers the single player experience I always appreciate games like this and hope it does well. I wouldn't mind revisiting these characters in a new adventure at some point down the road.
post #19 of 31 Old 10-11-2010, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

His name notwithstanding, Monkey's animations and general appearance were a little to primate-like at times to make him totally relateable as a character to me; his animations when swinging around reminded me of King Kong, which is not surprising since Andy Serkis did the mo-cap.

Not helped by the fact there's some cloth hanging from his belt that can give the impression of a tail.
post #20 of 31 Old 10-11-2010, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

As stated before, the characters are based off an old Chinese novel. He really IS supposed to be a monkey. They took lots of liberties, but keeping him monkey-like yet human fit his character. Same as the 3rd character introduced. It fits.
post #21 of 31 Old 10-12-2010, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just started chapter 3 and from what I've seen so far, the money was well spent. As others have said, the controls could use a little work but it's by no means broken. Fixed camera sometimes get stuck in places that prevent you from seeing characters but thats pretty rare. I really like the visuals, much better than expected, and the gameplay has been solid albeit quite simple.

XBL Gamertag: Shovelbum
PSN ID: Shovelbum
post #22 of 31 Old 11-29-2010, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

picked this up for 35 bucks this past weekend and this has been a lot of fun great adventure game IMO.
post #23 of 31 Old 03-05-2012, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 968
Snagged it for 7 bucks 2 weeks ago. What a great game. Minor camera and control issues but nothing to look over. Two snaps and a circle.
post #24 of 31 Old 04-28-2012, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 521
This game was fantastic! Controls were not as polished as they could have been and graphics were not as good as Rage but story and gameplay were phenomenal. It's a cross between Uncharted and God of War.

The story builds with each chapter and by the end it's full steam ahead. You get an actual ending and not some lame the end. Lots of cut scenes to build the relationship between monkey and trip, but not hour long vids just enough to relay the story.

Nothing really felt off either. Platforming and combat are about 50/50 and you usually get a breather from heavy combat until the end. Pretty much the last couple chapters are non stop action. Only one hiccup where I had to restart at a checkpoint from some odd game glitch.

Story gets a 10 and gameplay an 8. This is one I wish id bought new to support the dev. If you passed this one over, look again very much worth a play through.
post #25 of 31 Old 04-28-2012, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I got bored before I finished, so it's still waiting for me to get back to it months later. The water I was skimming across while chasing something I had to catch seemed to have the dots I was to pick up spread out in a way that required more than one playthrough to obtain, so I decided even one playthrough could wait. If I was a better player perhaps I wouldn't have gotten bored, but retrying fights over and over wears me down. Games that require too long to feel really bad-ass aren't as much fun to me as other people seem to find them.

Good luck...

LIVE: mikepaul
post #26 of 31 Old 04-28-2012, 12:34 PM

I agree with Lordar5, this game was totally overlooked and it's a shame because it had one the best stories in a video game I can remember in a long time. The more you ponder the end and struggle between the two characters, the layers start to be seen. This in many ways surpassed Mass Effect's story and it's such a shame more people didn't play it.
Good writing and story IS possible in video games.. you just have to know where to look.
post #27 of 31 Old 04-28-2012, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepaul View Post

I got bored before I finished, so it's still waiting for me to get back to it months later. The water I was skimming across while chasing something I had to catch seemed to have the dots I was to pick up spread out in a way that required more than one playthrough to obtain, so I decided even one playthrough could wait. If I was a better player perhaps I wouldn't have gotten bored, but retrying fights over and over wears me down. Games that require too long to feel really bad-ass aren't as much fun to me as other people seem to find them.

Good luck...

The game started kind of slow but builds momentum as you go. There is a point where things change in the story and once that happened I got hooked big time. There were a few chases that I got sick of, the most notable was the rhino but I tried three or four times got it and moved on. The rest wasn't bad. The chaos really goes down in the last couple chapters.

On a side note, the one frustrating but really cool thing was the live action consequences. By that I mean trying to save someone before they get sucked into a fan while battling four mechs. There were a few of those type of things and not the usual fight the battle and take a step to advance things, you really had to time things to get it done. I'd like to see more games do this.

Yea definitely have to play through a few times to get all the red orbs. There are some parts I just don't see how you can get them all, too much chaos.
post #28 of 31 Old 04-28-2012, 01:42 PM

Hey Lordar5, did you get a chance to download those 2 different character skins for each character?.. I think they where either a pre-order bonus or something. They gave special bonuses like unlimited ammo and shields.. made it really cool. I'll see if I can post a pic of them for ya if you want.
post #29 of 31 Old 04-28-2012, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluvious View Post

Hey Lordar5, did you get a chance to download those 2 different character skins for each character?.. I think they where either a pre-order bonus or something. They gave special bonuses like unlimited ammo and shields.. made it really cool. I'll see if I can post a pic of them for ya if you want.

Got it from Gamefly so no. Didn't bother with Pigsy's DLC either. Post a pic if you want I didn't know there was anything else available.
post #30 of 31 Old 04-28-2012, 02:25 PM

I'll post the pics and details tomorrow for ya. I didn't get that $DLC either..maybe I will since after seeing this thread again I want to revisit the game now.

EDIT: I found some youtube videos for ya instead..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&fe...&v=YxEzmgwA808

Check the side bar for others. Not sure why they aren't available anymore. It was a nice having unlimited ammo..

EB Games Canada/GameStop: Ninja Monkey, with "rare stun and plasma blast staff ammo."
Walmart: Classic Monkey, with costume based on Journey to the West and double melee damage
Best Buy: Sexy Robot Trip, with increased stun abilities for both Monkey and her EMP blasts
Amazon: Bonus soundtrack bundle
Target: A bonus mini comic bundle
Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page