Anyone excited for Fable 3? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 72 Old 10-12-2010, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
So supposedly Fable 3, or III if you prefer, ships on the 26th? Anyone excited? I've barely heard anything about the game, I don't even know what its about....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 Old 10-12-2010, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I'm gonna keep an eye on it, peter molyneux tends to over-promise and under-deliver so its wait and see for me. For an RPG, Fable 1 & 2 lacked longevity/depth so before spending $60 I'd make sure the gameplay is a lot longer than that of 1 and 2...
post #3 of 72 Old 10-12-2010, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
I am excited. I expect it will be like the first two. The story is something about you and your brother being the kids of the previous hero. He inherits the thrown you get "Adventure". Then I guess you get to overthrow his evil rule or install your own or something like that. I am looking forward to finding out exactly what.

Certain things in Fable annoy me. Molyneux ultra liberal, green, vegan like views seem to permeate the world... but then it is his world ( I wouldn’t want to live there but it’s OK to visit). The previous games were entertaining enough and I expect this one to be the same.

Bad thing for this game though is the timing. Fallout Vegas comes out the week before and if you like RPGs you probably are going to get both (unless fallout is too depressing or you like fantasy settings better). If you are going to get both like me you probably won’t get done with Fallout anytime soon....so when do you pick up Fable? At launch or after you finish Fallout? That’s the only reason I think you are not seeing a lot of excitement for it.
post #4 of 72 Old 10-12-2010, 10:36 AM

Liked: 10
I'll pick it up however I'm not expecting anything other than average given the last two games.
post #5 of 72 Old 10-12-2010, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I'm curious but I temper that curiosity with the fact that I was massively disappointed with Fable II, which turned out to be an inferior retread of the story in Fable I. While the game had lots of little sidequests and mini-games they were all repetitive and tedious with far too linear caves and dungeons to explore. The costumes were purely cosmetic and the weapons pedestrian and disappointing. The main quest itself was ridiculously short and the final confrontation contained zero in the way of challenging gameplay. I'm all for more story but not at the expense of making me a largely passive observer. I'm also not sold on moving the game forward into the industrial revolution; don't really know how that will play out.

So Fable III does not get a free pass; I'll see what the reviews and feedback from other players say before making a decision. I might even wait for a price drop.
post #6 of 72 Old 10-12-2010, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

I have never played either of the first ones, but I would like to. Mabye now is the time to pick one of them up and give it a go.

xbox live GT: xXmaximus prime
PSN: maximus_rr
I have to go, I have a meeting with the bobs, uhhh I wasnt aware of any meeting......yeah they called me at home
post #7 of 72 Old 10-12-2010, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximuslcd View Post

I have never played either of the first ones, but I would like to. Mabye now is the time to pick one of them up and give it a go.

fable 2 limited edition is $20 at sears, it'll give you more of a feel for fable 3 than the original will...

i'm amped for fable 3, they finally fixed the coop and what i saw/played at PAX was much evolved from some of the issues i had with fable 2.... hard to pass up at amazon with a $20 future games credit.

i recorded this video at PAX, the most interesting part is some of the conversation i had with the developer (some of it is cut off at the beginning) but i asked him how they improved the coop experience from fable 2

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #8 of 72 Old 10-12-2010, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Liked the first, didn't like the second, but I'm willing to try the third.
post #9 of 72 Old 10-12-2010, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 139
I enjoyed the second and have the third on pre-order.
post #10 of 72 Old 10-12-2010, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkcusD View Post

Liked the first, didn't like the second, but I'm willing to try the third.

Same. Maybe get the PC version when it's $20.

Now playing: Watch Dogs

Recently Finished: Southpark: Stick of Truth, Infamous: SS

PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33

post #11 of 72 Old 10-12-2010, 01:17 PM

Liked: 11
To many promises not enough in the delivery.

**** Peter.

This version will cost more then 59.99 with all the "episodic" add-ons they'll do so you can actually play the ****ing game. Its going to suck that you don't finish the game because you need to pay up MS another 14.99 for the missing story...and another 14.99 etc etc

**** Peter.

OH yes **** Peter.
post #12 of 72 Old 10-12-2010, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've enjoyed everyone so far. I'm thinking I will be getting this for my laptop instead for the travelling conivence.
I'm surpised they are using a Sharp screen in that video, I thought Samsung was the offical TV/Monitor supplier for xbox 360?
post #13 of 72 Old 10-13-2010, 08:18 AM

I really liked Fable 2 (never played the first one) and am very much looking forward to it. At this point, I'm just trying to decide if I should buy Fallout when it's released. If I do, I likely won't turn to Fable 3 until later this fall. Maybe for xmas.
post #14 of 72 Old 10-13-2010, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 136
I am excited for this. I loved Fable 2, except for all the corny stuff like farting. I am pumped to see what support it has for the new Kinetic as I am buying that too.

post #15 of 72 Old 10-13-2010, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 247
The only good think about Peter Molyneux making all of those over the top promises, is that even when some of those that weren't possible are stripped away, you still have a good game.

It's better than promising an average game and releasing a crap one. I don't think I'll buy Fable 3 right off, but maybe after I've had my FPS fill and before my Amazon game credit expires.

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

post #16 of 72 Old 10-13-2010, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think if you dig back I made a similiar thread for Fable 2, how is it such a tremendous just sort of "is out" with out much fan fare. Maybe North America isn't its target market?
post #17 of 72 Old 10-13-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripeer View Post

I think if you dig back I made a similiar thread for Fable 2, how is it such a tremendous just sort of "is out" with out much fan fare. Maybe North America isn't its target market?

Fable was. The problem is that the core gamers have wised up to the crap that Peter promises so they're on the "I'll wait till the price drops to rock bottom." group. Fable was a flop in the sense that they promised so much and gave nothing. It was a good game to its roots but it didn't have anything that people haven't played before. Same goes for Fable 2...with the added episodic content that tries to milk more money from you that was side story and not part of the main.

For me the major problem I have with Fable 3 is how episodic DLC that you have to pay this time around will be part of the main story so you won't really finish till you buy that is what pisses me off. I like the idea they have so far and other crap that they put in their (like maintaining and building rent homes to make money) but I'll wait till this game is 19.99.
post #18 of 72 Old 10-13-2010, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
As I've said on AVS several times before, I adored Fable 2 even while recognizing its failings. I couldn't be more excited for Fable 3. In fact, it was one of the very rare cases where I will be picking up the limited edition.

While discussing DLC plans for Fable 3 Peter used the term "episodic" explicitly in the context of Charles Dickens writing style. Remember Lionhead is a British-centric developer and although we share a language, meanings can often be subtly different. In this case "episodic" meant Fable 3's DLC will take direction from the much praised style, of one of the most famous and beloved classic British authors. Hardly a bad idea on face.

Considering the limited knowledge we have in regards to how this direction will play out, criticism is premature.

Gamer Tag: Todd Stevens
post #19 of 72 Old 10-13-2010, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei86 View Post

Fable was. The problem is that the core gamers have wised up to the crap that Peter promises so they're on the "I'll wait till the price drops to rock bottom." group. Fable was a flop in the sense that they promised so much and gave nothing. It was a good game to its roots but it didn't have anything that people haven't played before. Same goes for Fable 2...with the added episodic content that tries to milk more money from you that was side story and not part of the main.

For me the major problem I have with Fable 3 is how episodic DLC that you have to pay this time around will be part of the main story so you won't really finish till you buy that is what pisses me off. I like the idea they have so far and other crap that they put in their (like maintaining and building rent homes to make money) but I'll wait till this game is 19.99.

Hmmmm if you cant finish the game without DLC then I will wait as well. Though I find that hard to believe. I can beleive they will hold some additional episodes to add to to the end of the main story like Dragon Age or Mass Effect but you should be able to get the main story of the game completed without extra DLC or that is carp.
post #20 of 72 Old 10-13-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorax View Post

As I've said on AVS several times before, I adored Fable 2 even while recognizing its failings. I couldn't be more excited for Fable 3. In fact, it was one of the very rare cases where I will be picking up the limited edition.

While discussing DLC plans for Fable 3 Peter used the term "episodic" explicitly in the context of Charles Dickens writing style. Remember Lionhead is a British-centric developer and although we share a language, meanings can often be subtly different. In this case "episodic" meant Fable 3's DLC will take direction from the much praised style, of one of the most famous and beloved classic British authors. Hardly a bad idea on face.

Considering the limited knowledge we have in regards to how this direction will play out, criticism is premature.

Talk big, yet deliver nothing. Peter's talk about Charles Dickens is just a flib flab of him saying he has to make money or the game is axed. He's going to give the 1st few chapters of Fable III with the rest being DLC.

http://www.gametrailers.com/news/fab...ic-casual/2259

http://www.destructoid.com/fable-iii...c-168647.phtml

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/15/mo...th-the-aid-of/

Who knows how much of this will change by the time after the games release but initial idea is dumb.
post #21 of 72 Old 10-14-2010, 03:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei86 View Post

Talk big, yet deliver nothing. Peter's talk about Charles Dickens is just a flib flab of him saying he has to make money or the game is axed. He's going to give the 1st few chapters of Fable III with the rest being DLC.

http://www.gametrailers.com/news/fab...ic-casual/2259

http://www.destructoid.com/fable-iii...c-168647.phtml

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/15/mo...th-the-aid-of/

Who knows how much of this will change by the time after the games release but initial idea is dumb.

From the Gametrailers article it sounds like they are just doing episodic like they did with Fable 2. In other words if you buy the game your good but you can also buy it by chapters on Xbox live. Though I did find it highly annoying and insulting that Molyneux thinks he has to dumb down games for us girls. Though I suspect that it is he himself that didn't understand several of the deeper aspects and needed it dumbed down so he could play it. I am curious how he thinks the games will even get in someone's house without the typical gamer buying it first so the casuals can test it. His strategy seems on course to do the opposite of what he wants. Who the hell wants a game that was specifically dumbed down?

Now the first paragraph of Destructoid article makes it sound more ominous... the game will NOT be complete without DLC. But then they call Molyneux a "Microsoft Thrall" so perhaps they have alternative motives/opinions for what they wrote. Plus in the second paragraph it sounds more like 'you will have the first book (full and complete story) but then we will forever release DLC as the rest of the books and not create stand alone games'. It's fine as long as I get the first complete book, I can skip all the stuff after that story. Though again, if he is making it a stupid book and destroying the things that were good about fable in the past then I can skip it altogether.

Joystiq also makes it sound like you will not get a complete game.

Wow, maybe it was a good plan to release right after Fallout. People like me can just go ahead and play that and wait to hear other people's opinions of Fable III. If it is not a complete story with an ending (then followed up by an open world where more stories can be added by DLC) then maybe I skip it or pick up the special addition once the story is "complete" and they realize how far behind their money goal they are.
post #22 of 72 Old 10-14-2010, 03:54 PM

I can salvage more articles about this game but I'm super lazy. From what I understand the combat system has been "dumb" downed to where everything is a one button operation. From Melee, Range and Magic but the previewers says it works.

I was excited for this game then I realized it was a LionHead work so I cooled down. More articles about this game has come out and they are making it sound like its a game you'll have to purchase the DLC to truly finish but that strategy can change just like how Milo got killed off for kinect. However if the story is anything like they said it was: You are the child of the hero of Fable II, your parent is killed by the king, you kill king, take over kingdom, rule for a bit...buy DLC please. Then I'm kind of on the outs with this game.

I do own Fable The Lost Chapters for the PC and Fable II Collectors/Limited whatever the hell it was called Edition for the 360. But I never bought them till its price was dropped to 19.99 for the Fable II and 9.99 for Fable. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed them and only waited so long on Fable because a friend did purchase that game right when it came out and was sorely disappointed at it.
post #23 of 72 Old 10-15-2010, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

I suspect that the target demographic for this game is casual gamers and gamers who like the idea of an RPG but don't really want to commit the hours to it. The things the game designers seem to focus on (outfits/wardrobe, expressions and emotes, NPC interaction, etc.) are probably primarily a distraction to more "hardcore" gamers. No matter how Lionhead tries to spin it, the game is still "you can impress villagers by making rude sounds" at its heart.
post #24 of 72 Old 10-15-2010, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

I'm actually really excited for this game. Initally--and after playing through Fable 2--I wasnt all that thrilled for it, but I got a chance to interview Peter Molyneux at E3 this year. Plus he showed us some stuff that wasnt being shown on the showroom floor.

I hope you guys dont mind me linking the interview here. If it's annoying, let me know and I'll take it down STAT. Here's a little snipet:

Quote:
Ok, just to be clear--all the swords are malleable including the Legendary swords, but these Legendary swords have these, sort of, side quests associated with them?
Yes. The Legendary swords have these side collectibles associated with them, something like killing 50 goblins or something of the sort. So yes, you know, the players will still have lots of things to find. By the way, this whole idea of crafting and morphing applies to Hammers, Guns, Swords, Rifles and Gauntlets in Fable 3.

When you become King is there going to be a completely different interface?
You know, here's the thing about us talking about being king--it's a MASSIVE spoiler. I don't really want to get into the experience of being king.

Listen, the only thing I've said is that there is this beautiful mechanic. See, you're a revolutionary, and you're going to lead this rebellion and you've got to get people to follow you. Once you do that you're going to assault the castle. You're ready to take on this evil--king Logan.

On the way through this you're going to have to make promises to people. For instance the mayor in one of the smaller communities will say, "That king Logan is rotten! He stopped giving us money and now our people arnt able to do the things they want to do. If we promise to support you, will you promise to give us 200,000 gold? If you do, then our community will support you." So, of course you do it! So you make all the promises on your journey and when you become king, you will have to decide if you're going to deliver on these promises, but guess what? You're not going to have all the resources to do it.

Actually, the follow mechanic--the idea of getting people to follow you--is unified across the whole game. It replaces experience. What's so cool is that you can grind and get a bunch of people to like you and follow you, or you can do the big quest to make these promises. So there is this great replacement of experience. You get followers for being good in combat, you get followers for making friends, you get follows for marrying well! If you marry well, you get a whole new bunch of followers and that will make you more powerful. That, in turn, makes the revolution more powerful!

Rest of interview is here: http://eat-games.blogspot.com/2010/0...-molyneux.html
post #25 of 72 Old 10-15-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookilook View Post

I'm gonna keep an eye on it, peter molyneux tends to over-promise and under-deliver so its wait and see for me. For an RPG, Fable 1 & 2 lacked longevity/depth so before spending $60 I'd make sure the gameplay is a lot longer than that of 1 and 2...

My thoughts exactly!
post #26 of 72 Old 10-15-2010, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

FABLE 2 for FREE

add it to your queue quickly!

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/ga...307f1&p=1&of=6

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
post #27 of 72 Old 10-15-2010, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
I've said it before but if Fable 2 had some challenge to it, and some depth, if you actually had to work to impress people and make money, I would've really loved it. I thought it had all the essentials - large world, cool story, lots of hidden stuff, many different characters, etc.

As it was, there was no point in getting too involved with the game when all I needed to do was go to the center of town and fart in people's faces. If Fable 3 is just as easy and inconsequential I am just not going to bother.
post #28 of 72 Old 10-15-2010, 12:37 PM

Thanks! downloading it now.

I checked on the console marketplace & its listed as $34.99 The website & the console dont always correspond? I guess i'll start keeping an eye on the website.

I just used the direct link u gave. Did they advertise this or something? I'm always up for a bargain so i was wondering what your secret was for catching the deals
post #29 of 72 Old 10-15-2010, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymunky123 View Post

Thanks! downloading it now.

I checked on the console marketplace & its listed as $34.99 The website & the console dont always correspond? I guess i'll start keeping an eye on the website.

I just used the direct link u gave. Did they advertise this or something? I'm always up for a bargain so i was wondering what your secret was for catching the deals

i have a deal alert trigger set for slickdeals.net... anytime anything is posted with Xbox 360 or XBLA, an email is sent to me instantly.

post #30 of 72 Old 10-15-2010, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Looks like the free Fable II was a mistake that they are now fixing. Too bad I wasn't home to download earlier.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page