Sega Vanquish - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 10-19-2010, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Has anybody else played the demo? I thought it was pretty cool and reminds me of Halo, but the game play seems much better (and more interesting). It's available starting today (to buy).

http://www.sega.com/vanquish/index.php

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-19-2010, 04:13 PM

I just came across this when searching on Amazon. It is getting good reviews as well. I am thinking of picking it up. Hadn't heard anything about it before today.
post #3 of 15 Old 10-20-2010, 01:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Vanquish was made by an incredibly famous Japanese game designer: Shinji Mikami. The dude is responsible for the Resident Evil series and the Devil May Cry series (among others). Moreover, Vanquish is coming out of the newly formed Platinum Games studio that just released Bayonetta earlier this year. The studio is made up of former Clover studios folks (Okami, Viewtiful Joe, God Hand, etc.) along with other Japanese game design luminaries like Mikami.

These Platinum Games guys are modern day legends.

Anyhow, Vanquish is nothing like Halo. It's much more of a frenetic version of a Western-style cover shooter like Gears of War, mixed with elements of Japanese action games like Devil May Cry, God Hand, and Bayonetta. Definitely not for everyone. But very much for fans of Japanese action games (and of games in general).

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #4 of 15 Old 10-20-2010, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
There's a pretty big thread about this on the ps3 forum. I hadn't really read through it much and didn't realize it was a multi-platform release since there's been no talk here. The videos look good.
post #5 of 15 Old 10-20-2010, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Anyhow, Vanquish is nothing like Halo. It's much more of a frenetic version of a Western-style cover shooter like Gears of War, mixed with elements of Japanese action games like Devil May Cry, God Hand, and Bayonetta. Definitely not for everyone. But very much for fans of Japanese action games (and of games in general).

When I said it "reminded me" of Halo I meant the whole concept of the game (space Marine or whatever, the power suit, killing aliens, etc.) Have you played the demo? When you first go through the configuration tutorial on how to use the suit, that doesn't remind you of Halo? It sure as hell reminded me of that game. I never really liked Halo or any other FPS, but I do like 3rd Person better. I don't get the motion sickness problem with 3rd Person. If anything, the game play of Vanguish reminds me of WET, with the slow mo firing and the ability to slide and fire, etc.

Believe it or not, I haven't played GOW or the other games you mentioned. Haven't played any of the COD games, either. One day I'll get around to it. IDK, maybe being a former Marine myself, I just can't get into playing games with realistic war fighting whereas the sci-fi shooters, I don't have any problems. Maybe it's me, however, I did like playing those old Army Men games on the original PlayStation. That'll be cool if they brought those to 360, but the current stuff... IDK, never had a urge to play them. One day I will, though. I see RedBox is now renting them for $2.50 a day, so that will be a good excuse to give 'em a shot. I seen MW2 on the kiosk yesterday.
post #6 of 15 Old 10-20-2010, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Gotcha. Yeah, I see what you're saying about Halo. I'd actually forgotten all about Wet (which was a much better game than people gave it credit for), but you're totally right. Mix in the tight controls of a modern classic like Bayonetta, and you've got Vanquish in a nutshell.

FWIW I'm not a huge FPS nut myself, nor am I former military, but I also prefer sci-fi settings to "realistic" ones.

post #7 of 15 Old 10-29-2010, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Absolutely criminal that more of you aren't playing this game.

Consider this post a Bump of Strong Recommendation.

post #8 of 15 Old 10-31-2010, 05:54 AM

I started this one last night and it is a blast. Lots of fun, fast paced, excellent shooter. It might not be for everyone, but it gets high marks in my book.
post #9 of 15 Old 11-03-2010, 05:41 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cidsou View Post

I started this one last night and it is a blast. Lots of fun, fast paced, excellent shooter. It might not be for everyone, but it gets high marks in my book.

Agreed, awesome game!
post #10 of 15 Old 11-03-2010, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

started last night as well... i'm liking it... maybe not as much as when i was wowed by the demo, but it's still very good, and $35 at K-mart.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #11 of 15 Old 11-04-2010, 06:16 AM

I finished the campaign and since it is relatively short, I am going to give it a shot on "hard" difficulty. Thought the game was great. The colors or look to the game is very different, but not a detraction

A couple things I have found that might be good for anyone getting ready to start the game, is that if you progress mission to mission or "continue" you keep your upgrades for your weapons. (There are 5 missions, each with 3-6 chapters.) I missed an achievement and went to the mission menu and selected the chapter and redid it. Lost all my weapons upgrades and did not get the achievement for the the whole Mission, so my advice would be to do an entire playthrough before going back and redoing individual chapters.

Anyone get through the game on "hard" setting? Just wanted to know if it is going to be extremely frustrating. There are many games for which I just can't handle the high difficulty (but I did get through Reach on Legendary)
post #12 of 15 Old 11-04-2010, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cidsou View Post

Anyone get through the game on "hard" setting? Just wanted to know if it is going to be extremely frustrating. There are many games for which I just can't handle the high difficulty (but I did get through Reach on Legendary)

Hard isn't too bad, but it is challenging in places. You have to be much more strategic about your weapon choices and upgrades, and you have to be extremely fluent in how to use your AR ability. I'm on Act 3 on my Hard playthrough, but I've been going for the no deaths achievement--which means every time I die, I have to "restart" the whole mission rather than "continue" from a checkpoint. God Hard, on the other hand, is insanely difficult, mostly because there are no weapon upgrades (I look forward to doing that next ).

The challenges are also a great addition to the game. Sort of like a short horde mode with a boss at the end.

Man, do I love this game! Easily among my top games of this console generation.

post #13 of 15 Old 07-27-2013, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Waaaay late to the party.

Vanquish rocks - just began playing.

Finally getting to my backlog of games. biggrin.gif
post #14 of 15 Old 08-02-2013, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Just beat Vanquish- great single player action.

A cross between Gears of War, Devil May Cry and Max Payne.
post #15 of 15 Old 08-02-2013, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Based on this thread I just picked this one up today. Thanks all, this one flew under my game-dar. I am/was a big GOW guy so I think it will be fun.

XBOX 360 - KrazeeEyezKeith

PS4 - KrazeeKeith

Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page