The NEW Gaming Headset/Headphone Topic! (REQUEST STICKY PLZ) - Page 186 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #5551 of 5576 Old 11-03-2014, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPapi1977 View Post
There is a firmware right now for the Elite that requires the headset and base to be usb plugged into pc

It will update it and show you a few new presets you can choose from and improve performance.
Okay, so when you update you have to have the headset docked into the base and the base connected to the PC?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5552 of 5576 Old 11-03-2014, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Nevermind I figured it out. I had to have the base plugged in separately from the headset, but at the same time.
post #5553 of 5576 Old 11-03-2014, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 58
So how are the 800 elites? Are they better than the a50?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PSN: Artman22
Xbox live: Artman22
post #5554 of 5576 Old 11-04-2014, 04:46 AM
Advanced Member

I played some Destiny with the 800s using the COD Multiplayer EQ preset. These are much boomier than the PC360/MixAmp 5.8 combo I have listed on Ebay currently. If the A50s are even boomier than these, I wouldn't like it.

Sound was very clear, sound positioning was better than I'm used to. They do have a hiss in them, but you don't notice it until the game gets very quiet.
post #5555 of 5576 Old 11-04-2014, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I emailed TB to find out exactly WTH is up w/ only being able to update the 500X's firmware w/ Widndows only, no Mac OS X. Sheesh, it's 2014...
MilkManX likes this.

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
post #5556 of 5576 Old 11-04-2014, 11:46 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 20
seems like they've de-emphasized sound whoring related perks in cod: aw.

no more super human footstep hearing
post #5557 of 5576 Old 11-05-2014, 10:05 AM

so for those who have the new tb sets...is it worth the "upgrade" from dh to dts? currently have the plyr1s. i like the sound quality but i don't think the positional audio was as good as my previous xp400.

do the tb sets still lack bass?
post #5558 of 5576 Old 11-05-2014, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

BUMP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post
As ar as the protection plan, your credit card will double the warranty to 2yrs for free. SquareTrade offers a 4yr plan for $41 from Amazon, http://www.amazon.com/SquareTrade-4-...e+trade+4-year which is the one I'm going with(make sure you select the right price range btw-$200-250).

A few quick bullets/observations:
-First thing I can tell you is these are EXTREMELY comfortable. Most comfortable I've ever had by far. Very thick/plush. It follows because my X41's were great in that repect also; TB has always done well there. They seem very light. I say that because I forgot they were even on my head, which I guess proves the point. My Tritton Warheads for the 360 are comfortable, but even they leave you a little sore after marathon sessions.
-The physical set up is EZ/same as others: plug the optical cable into the console/headset receiver, USB power cable into console/headset receiver, then pair(they already come paired btw).
-geez, there's a lot of buttons to learn: Music, Game, or Movie. Then once you pick the mode, you pick the subset within the mode. Ex: Game has Signature Sound(TB's configuration), Shooter, Racing, or Sports. Movies/Music also have their own subsets. Then there's the mic button(setting for hearing yourself)-mute, low, and high. The mic boom itself is flexible. The mic button is actually my 1st criticism. On low I don't hear myself loud enough, on high it's a tad loud-it has a slight reverberation in your inner ear. Would've liked a complete volume control, not 2 choices. The game/chat volume really has to be adjusted on a per game basis. Destiny required some adjusting between my headset controls and the in-game menu audio. One party everything was perfect, the other I could barely hear them w/ the chat turned full up. Keep in mind, ALL gaming headsets have that depending on the game to some extent. One thing to try is turn the in-game volume down to its lowest setting w/o being off. Then adjust the headset's volume from there. This gives the headset complete control of the sound. The type and subset in the sound modes is well-rounded, and is denoted by the number of tones. Ex: one tone is TB's signature sound, two tones is shooter, etc. same for Game, Movie, or Music.
-it's nice to have a USB charging cable. There's an outlet by my Lazy Boy which I've plugged in a Monster 2-outlet w/ USB plug-ins. I set these down on the end table, plug in to 'em and start charging. There's a light on the bottom of the right ear cup which goes out when fully charged. I haven't tested to see if it's really 15hrs like on the box(thought I saw 10hrs in the manual???). I've only used them for a couple of hours so far.
-Now what you're all waiting for: the surround processing. Well, I'm not gonna post too much yet, because I've only used them for 2hrs. It takes awhile to avoid knee-jerk reactions, and give an objective assessment. At least you know they weren't god-awful, or I'd be telling you that LOL. Also, keep in mind my Warheads for the 360, while overpriced($300), processed the surround VERY, VERY, well. I'm talking really localized effects, much better than my X41's were. I wanna use these for another day or two b4 I make an unfair critique/comparison. Just because they *MIGHT* not be as good as my Warheads, DOESN'T mean they're not still very good. After all, the 500X's were 25% cheaper. I will say again, there was nothing bad about the surround by any means. I just haven't had them long enough to tell you if they're excellent or not.
Hope that helps, more to come later...

EDIT:
Forgot to mention, these things get plenty loud in your ear. No problems w/ volume. Also, there's been ZERO interference so far. My MacBook is open right next to me and the headsets w/ the router direct line of sight 11' away, so once in awhile(maybe two or three times total 5hrs) the sound cut out completely, but for like literally a second. Closed the MacBook, hasn't happened again. I'm also noticing much more detail in sound effects-footsteps, reloading the gun, etc. are all crystal clear. More to come...
EDIT:
Ok, so I've played a a fair amount of COD now, and these things are really performing well in the surround dept. Much better than on Destiny. VERY ez to tell where the shots/footsteps are coming from. As good as my Warheads on the 360? Still too early to say, but they're at least pretty close. As far as DTS, I couldn't say. After all, it's simulated lossless, so you'd have to be a real audiophile(who has a TON of headphone experience) to discern that. The buttons are still taking time to get used to, but remember: I do mainly shooters, so I don't use the buttons once I've selected the Gaming+Shooter setup. It's mainly remembering the mute button/chat volume dial that are difficult to remember. All in all I'd recommend them, and I'm getting more satisfied w/ them the more I play COD.

post #5559 of 5576 Old 11-05-2014, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

I am really enjoying my Elite 800s. I do not regret buying them one bit. Great sound fidelity, positioning is much improved from what I was using, and not having to worry about batteries in the Mixamp is really nice.

Its a nice piece of kit.
post #5560 of 5576 Old 11-05-2014, 01:08 PM

i noticed that the 500x unlike the 500p has its a separate non-usb wireless receiver. it looks a lot closer in physical design to the older xp400/510/px series than the other headsets in the stealth series. does this mean the headset will work with both consoles with the appropriate cables?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post
I am really enjoying my Elite 800s. I do not regret buying them one bit. Great sound fidelity, positioning is much improved from what I was using, and not having to worry about batteries in the Mixamp is really nice.

Its a nice piece of kit.
so audio quality is comparable to your seinheiser/mixamp combo? i know turtle beach has been dinged a bit for sound quality in the past. the xp400s i tried had almost no bass and with the bass boost and would crack during movies with deep/low-end bass (not sure if im describing that properly)
post #5561 of 5576 Old 11-05-2014, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

I think the Elite 800s boom more then the PC360/MixAmp combo. I'm still getting great mids and highs as well. I'm no audiophile, but I'm happy.

I can't tell how the surround compares b/c I'm just too lazy to keep plugging everything in to run the same scenarios. However, I'm not disappointed w/ the Elite 800s in that regard.
post #5562 of 5576 Old 11-05-2014, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
BUMP
Quote:
As ar as the protection plan, your credit card will double the warranty to 2yrs for free. SquareTrade offers a 4yr plan for $41 from Amazon, http://www.amazon.com/SquareTrade-4-...e+trade+4-year which is the one I'm going with(make sure you select the right price range btw-$200-250).

A few quick bullets/observations:
-First thing I can tell you is these are EXTREMELY comfortable. Most comfortable I've ever had by far. Very thick/plush. It follows because my X41's were great in that repect also; TB has always done well there. They seem very light. I say that because I forgot they were even on my head, which I guess proves the point. My Tritton Warheads for the 360 are comfortable, but even they leave you a little sore after marathon sessions.
-The physical set up is EZ/same as others: plug the optical cable into the console/headset receiver, USB power cable into console/headset receiver, then pair(they already come paired btw).
-geez, there's a lot of buttons to learn: Music, Game, or Movie. Then once you pick the mode, you pick the subset within the mode. Ex: Game has Signature Sound(TB's configuration), Shooter, Racing, or Sports. Movies/Music also have their own subsets. Then there's the mic button(setting for hearing yourself)-mute, low, and high. The mic boom itself is flexible. The mic button is actually my 1st criticism. On low I don't hear myself loud enough, on high it's a tad loud-it has a slight reverberation in your inner ear. Would've liked a complete volume control, not 2 choices. The game/chat volume really has to be adjusted on a per game basis. Destiny required some adjusting between my headset controls and the in-game menu audio. One party everything was perfect, the other I could barely hear them w/ the chat turned full up. Keep in mind, ALL gaming headsets have that depending on the game to some extent. One thing to try is turn the in-game volume down to its lowest setting w/o being off. Then adjust the headset's volume from there. This gives the headset complete control of the sound. The type and subset in the sound modes is well-rounded, and is denoted by the number of tones. Ex: one tone is TB's signature sound, two tones is shooter, etc. same for Game, Movie, or Music.
-it's nice to have a USB charging cable. There's an outlet by my Lazy Boy which I've plugged in a Monster 2-outlet w/ USB plug-ins. I set these down on the end table, plug in to 'em and start charging. There's a light on the bottom of the right ear cup which goes out when fully charged. I haven't tested to see if it's really 15hrs like on the box(thought I saw 10hrs in the manual???). I've only used them for a couple of hours so far.
-Now what you're all waiting for: the surround processing. Well, I'm not gonna post too much yet, because I've only used them for 2hrs. It takes awhile to avoid knee-jerk reactions, and give an objective assessment. At least you know they weren't god-awful, or I'd be telling you that LOL. Also, keep in mind my Warheads for the 360, while overpriced($300), processed the surround VERY, VERY, well. I'm talking really localized effects, much better than my X41's were. I wanna use these for another day or two b4 I make an unfair critique/comparison. Just because they *MIGHT* not be as good as my Warheads, DOESN'T mean they're not still very good. After all, the 500X's were 25% cheaper. I will say again, there was nothing bad about the surround by any means. I just haven't had them long enough to tell you if they're excellent or not.
Hope that helps, more to come later...

EDIT:
Forgot to mention, these things get plenty loud in your ear. No problems w/ volume. Also, there's been ZERO interference so far. My MacBook is open right next to me and the headsets w/ the router direct line of sight 11' away, so once in awhile(maybe two or three times total 5hrs) the sound cut out completely, but for like literally a second. Closed the MacBook, hasn't happened again. I'm also noticing much more detail in sound effects-footsteps, reloading the gun, etc. are all crystal clear. More to come...
EDIT:
Ok, so I've played a a fair amount of COD now, and these things are really performing well in the surround dept. Much better than on Destiny. VERY ez to tell where the shots/footsteps are coming from. As good as my Warheads on the 360? Still too early to say, but they're at least pretty close. As far as DTS, I couldn't say. After all, it's simulated lossless, so you'd have to be a real audiophile(who has a TON of headphone experience) to discern that. The buttons are still taking time to get used to, but remember: I do mainly shooters, so I don't use the buttons once I've selected the Gaming+Shooter setup. It's mainly remembering the mute button/chat volume dial that are difficult to remember. All in all I'd recommend them, and I'm getting more satisfied w/ them the more I play COD.
I still want to give them more time but not sure how I'm feeling about them. Played some Cod today and indeed the surround is much better than it was with destiny. But it also doesn't seem to help my game any.

The mic monitoring only works on high and it also picks up the sound of my fish tank sitting near the TV but doesn't pick up the louder sounds from the game. Seems odd.

They still don't seem LOUD to me. I can easily play with them on full blast and it's a good level to hear the game but far from loud. Is there a volume control in the Xbox settings? Maybe mines not up all the way.

They aren't noise cancelling which I knew, but I can hear voice through the headphones and over the sound so I guess I don't really need mic monitoring. But at the same time I can hear most noises around me so I don't feel as immersed in the game as I'd like.

They do sound amazing though. Sound is crystal clear, nice miss and highs with the boom added in for good effect. And the full wireless is great.

I think I just expected more for my money.
post #5563 of 5576 Old 11-06-2014, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike208 View Post
I still want to give them more time but not sure how I'm feeling about them. Played some Cod today and indeed the surround is much better than it was with destiny. But it also doesn't seem to help my game any.

The mic monitoring only works on high and it also picks up the sound of my fish tank sitting near the TV but doesn't pick up the louder sounds from the game. Seems odd.

They still don't seem LOUD to me. I can easily play with them on full blast and it's a good level to hear the game but far from loud. Is there a volume control in the Xbox settings? Maybe mines not up all the way.

They aren't noise cancelling which I knew, but I can hear voice through the headphones and over the sound so I guess I don't really need mic monitoring. But at the same time I can hear most noises around me so I don't feel as immersed in the game as I'd like.

They do sound amazing though. Sound is crystal clear, nice miss and highs with the boom added in for good effect. And the full wireless is great.

I think I just expected more for my money.
I felt the same way at first. Having been marathoning COD recently, I now appreciate them more 'n more. I've seriously been sound sound whoring like crazy. These things really place the sound effects where they should be. As far as price, much of it's the wireless feature. But remember, the Astro wireless version is $300, 25% more. EZ decision for me after playing COD to keep them.

post #5564 of 5576 Old 11-06-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
I felt the same way at first. Having been marathoning COD recently, I now appreciate them more 'n more. I've seriously been sound sound whoring like crazy. These things really place the sound effects where they should be. As far as price, much of it's the wireless feature. But remember, the Astro wireless version is $300, 25% more. EZ decision for me after playing COD to keep them.
outside of the chat, since the 500x seems to have its own separate base...is it technically able to be used cross-platform for audio with all the consoles?

got my answer in the ps4 thread...yes it works for audio. just need the extra chat adapter if you want to be able use it on xbone.

Last edited by henhowc; 11-08-2014 at 04:09 PM.
post #5565 of 5576 Old 11-11-2014, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

MixAmp 5.8

If anybody is interested in a MixAmp 5.8, please PM me. My eBay buyer was a deadbeat and I just don't want to bother re-listing it again. Also includes the coveted PS3 chat cable. Does NOT include the Xbox chat cable.
post #5566 of 5576 Old 11-12-2014, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I like that these work on my Xbox 360 as headphone at least. That is a big plus for me. Still trying to figure out if the surround helps me or not, but they sound nice.
post #5567 of 5576 Old 11-13-2014, 04:12 AM

Heard that the 500p and x aren't that good and should be avoided. Seems like all the good headsets with good bass are around the $300 mark.

post #5568 of 5576 Old 11-13-2014, 06:04 AM
Advanced Member

FWIW I returned my Elite 800s and grabbed a pair of Astro A50s. The Elite's kept cutting in and out, the headphones were not as comfortable, and I really didn't like the switches/controls on the Elites. I think the Elites might have had more detailed sound, but in the end it didn't matter to me as much. Especially if they kept cutting in / out.
post #5569 of 5576 Old 11-13-2014, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artman22 View Post
Heard that the 500p and x aren't that good and should be avoided. Seems like all the good headsets with good bass are around the $300 mark.

Had the Astro A50's. Liked 'em sound-wise, a little too much bass. Didn't like using the One's adapter. High frequency sound is more important to me as far as gaming anyway(reloads, footsteps, gunfire, etc). I've had the 500X for 2wks now, ZERO regrets. You can configure them for more bass if you like, but I don't prefer them that way.

post #5570 of 5576 Old 11-13-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Had the Astro A50's. Liked 'em sound-wise, a little too much bass. Didn't like using the One's adapter. High frequency sound is more important to me as far as gaming anyway(reloads, footsteps, gunfire, etc). I've had the 500X for 2wks now, ZERO regrets. You can configure them for more bass if you like, but I don't prefer them that way.

How do they feel? Some people say they feel cheap.. So they don't require the adapter?

post #5571 of 5576 Old 11-14-2014, 03:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Finally got the headset adapter the other day so I could use my A40s mic for chat, works great for me. I've had the A40s with the MixAmp Pro for a while, mostly used on my PC or playing Forza 5, but never had the adapter for the mic.

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
__________________________________________________ _
Plan9Reloaded Co-host
Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast
https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link
http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website
post #5572 of 5576 Old 11-14-2014, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artman22 View Post
How do they feel? Some people say they feel cheap.. So they don't require the adapter?

They feel great, nice n plush/soft. Sometimes w/ these sets after a marathon session your ears are a little sore. These left me the "least sore" since my TBX41's(also heavily padded). Having no headset adapter is AWESOME. Really enhances the convenience/wireless aspect.

post #5573 of 5576 Old 11-23-2014, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Hey guys - I just got the Turtle Beach 500P. Is there any way to turn off the blinking Turtle Beach blue logo that flashes once a second on the outside of each earphone cup? Even if you don't have this particular model, maybe the same trick that turns it off on other Turtle Beach headsets will work on this one? Thanks!
post #5574 of 5576 Old 11-24-2014, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Regarding the Turtle Beach - Ear Force XO ONE Wired Stereo Gaming Headset for the Xbox One - can this also be plugged into a PC and used as a regular headset and mic for Skype and Steam etc?
post #5575 of 5576 Old 11-24-2014, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkManX View Post
Scored a Turtle Beach DSS2 cheap so I can get Surround on my 360/XB1 paired with my TB x12's. Anyone try this combo?
so far my favorite wired setup for xbox one has been the TB DSS with a pair of X12's.

i own 2 pair of the turtle beach xo7s and they suck sound quality wise. the mic is great and the comfort is great but the sound quality is just awful.

i own 2 pair of the polk 4 shots, sound quality is great but they do not get loud enough, the mic sucks and they are back ordered on mics so it could be a month or 2 before i get my mics. very comfortable headset but piss poor company imo, i would stay far away from these.

MS stereo headset, i like it, it sounds good, its comfortable, its affordable. i feel this headset is a smart buy!

all the headsets that are wired to the controller adapter and that get there sound wireless from the xbone to the controller suffer from dropouts and popping on occasion and i hate that. i find that to be extremely annoying!!

you guys looking for a wireless headset with virtual surround sound ie vss should look no further than the skullcandy plyr 1. these can be had for around $130 on sale and offer the best wireless surround sound gaming experience for your buck. you will need an ms controller adapter as well.

you guys spending $200 or more on TB's will be sorry in a few months, TB quality is not very good and there customer service department are not the friendliest to deal with. i own a crap load of TB headsets and they all suffer form cracking headbands within a matter of months.

if you want wired vss buy yourself a TB DSS or astro mixamp off ebay and pair it with the headset of your choice, ms controller adapter and a modmic.

need wired vss on a budget? no problem, pick a TB DSS off ebay for $11 shipped and a pair of x12's new on sale, they're $25 shipped right now at the MS store. this setup is the most cost effective way to get vss on your xbox one. you will need a ms controller adapter as well.

Last edited by smokozuna; Yesterday at 10:07 AM.
post #5576 of 5576 Old Yesterday, 01:36 PM

Liked: 25
Yeah I am really happy with the TB DSS2 + X12 combo. No batteries or recharging to deal with either. Cords yes but I am good at keeping them managed well. I have owned the x12 headset for 3+ years already.
Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page