The NEW Gaming Headset/Headphone Topic! (REQUEST STICKY PLZ) - Page 189 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

post #5641 of 5657 Old 12-15-2014, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Just wanted to say that I tried the official Xbox One Stereo headset, for a bedroom set-up (TV + Gaming), intended to not disturb the Victoria Secret model of the month reading War & Peace beside me, but it just wasn't loud enough to drown out all of the non gaming related questions.

Great quality headset, but it just didn't work for me. Back to the drawing board, got that set for only $50 (includes the $20+ chat adapter). Oh well...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5642 of 5657 Old 12-16-2014, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Well now that you have the adapter just about any 360 headset from Turtle Beach will work and the amplified ones are plenty loud.
post #5643 of 5657 Old 12-16-2014, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampabuc View Post
Just wanted to say that I tried the official Xbox One Stereo headset, for a bedroom set-up (TV + Gaming), intended to not disturb the Victoria Secret model of the month reading War & Peace beside me, but it just wasn't loud enough to drown out all of the non gaming related questions.

Great quality headset, but it just didn't work for me. Back to the drawing board, got that set for only $50 (includes the $20+ chat adapter). Oh well...
not loud enough, i am shocked at that statement, that headset gets incredibly loud. definitely dont get the polk 4 shots then because they are much quieter than the ms stereo headset.

Last edited by smokozuna; 12-18-2014 at 07:02 PM.
post #5644 of 5657 Old 12-16-2014, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does anyone on here have SkullCandy PLYR2 wireless headset using it with the Microsoft xbox one adapter? I picked up two Xbox ones for gifts and my son has that headset for the 360 right now. I went to the SkullCandy website and it does not list it as Xbox one comparable.

Thank you
post #5645 of 5657 Old 12-18-2014, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
TB 500x firmware update

I have a question for stealth 500x owners. Do the headphones need to be updated out of the box to work correctly?

I'm asking because I have a Mac so it'll be a while before I can borrow a pc to handle the firmware updates.

Thanks

Headless Petie
post #5646 of 5657 Old 12-18-2014, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbn008 View Post
I have a question for stealth 500x owners. Do the headphones need to be updated out of the box to work correctly?

I'm asking because I have a Mac so it'll be a while before I can borrow a pc to handle the firmware updates.

Thanks
I sure as hell hope not. I've a Mac, and I'm not sure what I'm gonna do.

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
post #5647 of 5657 Old 12-18-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:

Thanks
The Stealth 500X requires a Day One software update for optimal performance when connected to the Xbox One. Please visit TurtleBeach.com/Stealth500X to obtain the latest software version.
post #5648 of 5657 Old 12-18-2014, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post
I sure as hell hope not. I've a Mac, and I'm not sure what I'm gonna do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokozuna View Post
The Stealth 500X requires a Day One software update for optimal performance when connected to the Xbox One. Please visit TurtleBeach.com/Stealth500X to obtain the latest software version.
I'm a Mac user as well, and while I like all the features of the set, and the generally positive reviews, I'm not going with Turtle Beach since Mac isn't supported. I don't feel like jumping through hoops to get a $300 pair of headsets to work.

I think I'm going to try the Astro A50s first, as I can get them (and return them, if needed) at my local Best Buy. If they don't wow me, I'll try the SteelSeries H Wireless.
post #5649 of 5657 Old 12-19-2014, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 559
Astro supports Mac but I doubt you will need to update anything as the last firmware released was back in April.
Firepr00f likes this.

One of the greatest posts I have read

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/142-pl...l#post24609271
post #5650 of 5657 Old 12-19-2014, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepr00f View Post
I'm a Mac user as well, and while I like all the features of the set, and the generally positive reviews, I'm not going with Turtle Beach since Mac isn't supported. I don't feel like jumping through hoops to get a $300 pair of headsets to work.

I think I'm going to try the Astro A50s first, as I can get them (and return them, if needed) at my local Best Buy. If they don't wow me, I'll try the SteelSeries H Wireless.
Just FYI, the TB 500x are retail $229, but are currently $199 on Amazon, not $300 as stated. If you want to spend $300, go ahead and pick up those Astros. I know I didnt want to spend that much.

And to answer the question, the headset will work without applying the firmware updates, you just dont get the options of pre-programming your specific sound fields that you can cycle through. I used them for a few days before applying the FW update just to make sure the FW didnt brick them because I bought them the day they were released. I honestly didnt hear any difference in the "Default" mode prior to or after the FW update, which is what I use. All of the other sound fields to scroll through seem like gimmicks to me (Heavy Bass mode, Music Mode, etc..)

And as stated earlier, this is currently the only 100% wireless solution for both sound and chat.

Hope this clears up some confusion. I dont think I am qualified as others to give a comparison to other headsets, as this is the first I have ever owned. I needed a 100% wireless mic, would have preferred a solution like the 360 clip on ear one so I could continue to use my 7.1 theater. Hopefully they will release somethign like that in the future.
post #5651 of 5657 Old 12-19-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:

make life easy and buy this

http://www.amazon.com/ASTRO-Gaming-R.../dp/B00EIM3BV6
post #5652 of 5657 Old 12-19-2014, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD MC View Post
Just FYI, the TB 500x are retail $229, but are currently $199 on Amazon, not $300 as stated. If you want to spend $300, go ahead and pick up those Astros. I know I didnt want to spend that much.

And to answer the question, the headset will work without applying the firmware updates, you just dont get the options of pre-programming your specific sound fields that you can cycle through. I used them for a few days before applying the FW update just to make sure the FW didnt brick them because I bought them the day they were released. I honestly didnt hear any difference in the "Default" mode prior to or after the FW update, which is what I use. All of the other sound fields to scroll through seem like gimmicks to me (Heavy Bass mode, Music Mode, etc..)

And as stated earlier, this is currently the only 100% wireless solution for both sound and chat.

Hope this clears up some confusion. I dont think I am qualified as others to give a comparison to other headsets, as this is the first I have ever owned. I needed a 100% wireless mic, would have preferred a solution like the 360 clip on ear one so I could continue to use my 7.1 theater. Hopefully they will release somethign like that in the future.
Nice post. I've really only used the FPS surround mode, and I was wondering if you've tried the TB dynamic sound or whatever they call it. I was wondering if there was a substantive difference.

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
post #5653 of 5657 Old 12-20-2014, 07:42 AM

Quote:

Oh you're right. Yes $200, not $300 for these. So that is something to think about - since they seem to work with no update and can also be bought and returned locally with no hassle. Still bugs me about no Mac support.
post #5654 of 5657 Old 12-20-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokozuna View Post
Thanks for the tip. But I read these are Gen 1 and not Gen 2. Do you know for sure which? I read Gen 2 fixes some issues and I don't believe these come with the XB1 chat adapter so I would have to get that separately as well.

Money is not really an issue at the moment (to a degree of course - I probably wouldn't spend MORE than $300 on a pair, but that or less fits my budget). I'm all for saving money but definitely want latest Gen with whichever way I go.

Thanks!
post #5655 of 5657 Old 12-20-2014, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 559
Quote:
Thanks for the tip. But I read these are Gen 1 and not Gen 2. Do you know for sure which? I read Gen 2 fixes some issues and I don't believe these come with the XB1 chat adapter so I would have to get that separately as well.

Money is not really an issue at the moment (to a degree of course - I probably wouldn't spend MORE than $300 on a pair, but that or less fits my budget). I'm all for saving money but definitely want latest Gen with whichever way I go.

Thanks!

Those are Gen 1s.
Firepr00f likes this.

One of the greatest posts I have read

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/142-pl...l#post24609271
post #5656 of 5657 Old Yesterday, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Still running some TB PC 5.1 headset with a Astro Mixamp. They still sound pretty good but I think one side is slightly louder than the other. I'll use them until they break lol
post #5657 of 5657 Old Today, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Just a fyi, i bought a modded xbox stereo adaptor that uses bluetooth (http://www.ebay.com/itm/TURTLE-BEACH...item3a9d881c75).

As a result, I can use that adaptor with any bluetooth headset for a 100% wireless solution. I've had it for several months and it works perfectly.

Headless Petie
Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page