The NEW Gaming Headset/Headphone Topic! (REQUEST STICKY PLZ) - Page 195 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 32Likes

post #5821 of 5843 Old 12-16-2015, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Rightintel,

Have you seen this new headset from Tritton?

http://store.madcatz.com/Tritton-Katana-7-1-HD-Wireless-Surround-Headset-for-Consoles.html?whence=

Here is the new situation people, your thoughts are always a help.

Can get Steelseries x800 for $300 with a credit (would have to act on this soon to use credit), or I could wait for the aforementioned Tritton Katanas, or maybe new gen Astro A50s (with a40 like ability to get Xbox chat via USB like the A40 TRs) if announced soon.

Your thoughts?
(The facts that I find important)

I loved my Tritton Warheads.
+Sound was cool.
++Completely wireless/including chat was great
++Dual batteries so down time was 1min at worst. Never had to worry about attaching cord to headset while playing

Katanas and Steelseries x800
-Both require chat cord
++Steelseries has 2 swappable batteries
*Katanas: DTS Headphone:X...has this standard been talked about/attached to Xbox one at all?..... (Chatted with Xbox rep, stated it was coming at some point)
-Katanas: Only 1 battery as far as I can tell
??Anyone know if X800 supports DTS Headphone:X?

Astro A50 next gen
-Unknown release date
-Unknown status of need for chat cable

Last edited by cbeck23; 12-16-2015 at 03:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5822 of 5843 Old 12-16-2015, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeck23 View Post
Rightintel,

Have you seen this new headset from Tritton?

http://store.madcatz.com/Tritton-Kat...s.html?whence=

Here is the new situation people, your thoughts are always a help.

Can get Steelseries x800 for $300 with a credit (would have to act on this soon to use credit), or I could wait for the aforementioned Tritton Katanas, or maybe new gen Astro A50s (with a40 like ability to get Xbox chat via USB like the A40 TRs) if announced soon.

Your thoughts?
(The facts that I find important)

I loved my Tritton Warheads.
+Sound was cool.
++Completely wireless/including chat was great
++Dual batteries so down time was 1min at worst. Never had to worry about attaching cord to headset while playing

Katanas and Steelseries x800
-Both require chat cord
++Steelseries has 2 swappable batteries
*Katanas: DTS Headphone:X...has this standard been talked about/attached to Xbox one at all?..... (Chatted with Xbox rep, stated it was coming at some point)
-Katanas: Only 1 battery as far as I can tell
??Anyone know if X800 supports DTS Headphone:X?

Astro A50 next gen
-Unknown release date
-Unknown status of need for chat cable
Whoah, full 7.1 uncompressed due to an HDMI port-nice! However, I don't understand the chat cable(at this stage of the game) AT ALL. That's a deal-breaker for me. I THINK the Katana's have 50mm drivers vs the 40mm in the Steelseries(have to check). If you can live w/ the cable, I'd say the HDMI/7.1 uncompressed is fantastic.

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
post #5823 of 5843 Old 12-16-2015, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post
Whoah, full 7.1 uncompressed due to an HDMI port-nice! However, I don't understand the chat cable(at this stage of the game) AT ALL. That's a deal-breaker for me. I THINK the Katana's have 50mm drivers vs the 40mm in the Steelseries(have to check). If you can live w/ the cable, I'd say the HDMI/7.1 uncompressed is fantasy's.
rightintel

Rightintel,

Bigger drivers = better, OK, I understand that. How much difference in sound would there be from compressed 5.1, vs 7.1 uncompressed?

With the scenario I listed before, what route would ya'll go. Not happy about the one battery though.

I would have gotten the Steelseries last week (order was cancelled by vendor, then they jacked up the price). Credit was given to appease me, but now I am all wishy-washy again. I would assume I would need to cash in on credit soon, if I take it. Katanas would still be $50 cheaper vs Steelseries + credit.
post #5824 of 5843 Old 12-16-2015, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Whoah, full 7.1 uncompressed due to an HDMI port-nice! However, I don't understand the chat cable(at this stage of the game) AT ALL. That's a deal-breaker for me. I THINK the Katana's have 50mm drivers vs the 40mm in the Steelseries(have to check). If you can live w/ the cable, I'd say the HDMI/7.1 uncompressed is fantastic.
Mad Catz doesn't provide any details on what surround formats it will/won't accept, but based on them throwing out "uncompressed" a few times and the compatibility chart, I'm thinking it won't decode any compressed formats from the source device. Note that Xbox 360 compatibility is "stereo only" vs. up to 7.1 for the other consoles. The Xbox 360 actually can output surround over HDMI -- but only in compressed/encoded formats like Dolby Digital/DTS that require decoding, not uncompressed LPCM surround like the PS3, PS4, Xbox One, and Wii U can.

This shouldn't be an issue for most gamers of course, but for a Blu-ray movie for example, you'd want to make sure you have a player that decodes to LPCM vs. just bitstream to get (simulated) surround sound via the onboard DTS Headphone:X encoding. I'm anxious to read some reviews once it's out.
post #5825 of 5843 Old 12-17-2015, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeck23 View Post
rightintel

Rightintel,

Bigger drivers = better, OK, I understand that. How much difference in sound would there be from compressed 5.1, vs 7.1 uncompressed?

With the scenario I listed before, what route would ya'll go. Not happy about the one battery though.

I would have gotten the Steelseries last week (order was cancelled by vendor, then they jacked up the price). Credit was given to appease me, but now I am all wishy-washy again. I would assume I would need to cash in on credit soon, if I take it. Katanas would still be $50 cheaper vs Steelseries + credit.
For $50, I'd go w/ the bigger drivers/HDMI input.

post #5826 of 5843 Old 12-17-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:
For $50, I'd go w/ the bigger drivers/HDMI input.
Rep from Tritton sent the following:

Compared to all optical surround sound headsets, the audio will definitely be a lot more crisp to and clear to the ear since this headset will pass 8 channels of the uncompressed audio verses the optical's 5.1.

Besides what codecs (Dolby/dts, uncompressed 5.1/7.1) the headset has, what questions do y'all have? Make it quick.

Did some research: the size of the drivers may not make a big change in sound (larger drivers could allow for greater volume and bass, and possibly larger soundstage.)

If possible, can anyone here do follow up mission: contact Microsoft and and verify Xbox one and Dts headset:X. The one I spoke with was a little less than on point when asked. Thanks y said yes, but I had to explain to them what it was.

Interesting:
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/games/price/features/Surround_Sound/uncompressed/PS4/Xbox_One/PS3/Wii_U/colors/tritton-katana-hd-set-to-be-the-first-hdmi-sourced-71-wireless-headset-also-features-dts-headphonex/27648

**Tritton website pushed ship date from Feb to March

Last edited by cbeck23; 12-17-2015 at 07:49 PM.
post #5827 of 5843 Old 12-25-2015, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Amazon has Astro`s on sale today, only. Great prices.
s1njin likes this.
post #5828 of 5843 Old 01-03-2016, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Senn HD598's are on sale at BBY for like 150. Picking up a pair with a vmoda boom mic for my couch sessions on the x1...we'll see how this works out.

DT BP7001SC (LR) - SELLING!
DT CLR3000 (C) - SOLD
DT SM45 (Rears)
2x PSA XV15se (SW)
Denon AVR X1000
post #5829 of 5843 Old 01-03-2016, 08:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwinlied View Post
Senn HD598's are on sale at BBY for like 150. Picking up a pair with a vmoda boom mic for my couch sessions on the x1...we'll see how this works out.
you better be hooking them up to a Tb DSS or astro mixamp because the controller does not suppy enough power to drive 50 ohm speakers. it will work but they will not sound good and you will have wasted your money
post #5830 of 5843 Old 01-04-2016, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokozuna View Post
you better be hooking them up to a Tb DSS or astro mixamp because the controller does not suppy enough power to drive 50 ohm speakers. it will work but they will not sound good and you will have wasted your money
I am still researching what to run with them. There are tens of mixamps to read about and they vary widely enough in price for me to believe there are enough difference between them to make sure I get the right one (although I could be wrong). Also reading into the dss/dss2. I can still use the cans with other things around the house, so until I figure out the x1 side of things, I can still enjoy them.

Ultimately, I may decide that having a wired headset isn't the right solution for me and just get a cheaper wireless one for the x1 and I'll still have a nice set for everything else. I definitely don't game competitively, but getting the hd598's for the sale price was worth a shot, I figured.

DT CLR3000 (C) - SOLD
DT SM45 (Rears)
2x PSA XV15se (SW)
Denon AVR X1000
post #5831 of 5843 Old 01-06-2016, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey guys,

So, I'm after a surround sound headset under $150. I'm not really keen on purchasing a mix-amp or anything, just a headset for my PlayStation 4;mic isn't really necessary.

What would you recommend?
post #5832 of 5843 Old 01-06-2016, 07:37 PM

I think I'm going to try the UGREEN 3.5F to 2.5M adapter. I hope it fits. The other adapters I see on amazon get turrible reviews (Josi Minea, D&K etc). I am disappointed that Senn doesn't have a locking adapter yet. There are like a million posts from people looking for a good adapter and not wanting to take apart their cans as a solution. I've already had them apart but I hate buying crappy components...especially when there are very few brick/mortar locations to buy components like this anymore.

Looking like I'll go with the mixamp 5.8 for powering these. Trying to cut back on as many wires as I can for x1 playing, I suppose. I haven't dug deep enough to find many other wireless options yet.

DT CLR3000 (C) - SOLD
DT SM45 (Rears)
2x PSA XV15se (SW)
Denon AVR X1000
post #5833 of 5843 Old 01-07-2016, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteoreos View Post
Hey guys,

So, I'm after a surround sound headset under $150. I'm not really keen on purchasing a mix-amp or anything, just a headset for my PlayStation 4;mic isn't really necessary.

What would you recommend?
Kingston Hyper-X Cloud or Cloud 2. Has 3.5mm as well as USB connection. USB offers 7.1 virtual surround.

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415
Twitter: @roguengames
YouTube Gameplay Videos

I am the greatest MGO player eva!! - http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415/v/24236420
post #5834 of 5843 Old 01-07-2016, 05:30 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon415 View Post
Kingston Hyper-X Cloud or Cloud 2. Has 3.5mm as well as USB connection. USB offers 7.1 virtual surround.
Thanks for the reply.

I've had the chance to try these out, and to be perfectly honest, I'm not a fan.

I could stretch to $150 for something else?
post #5835 of 5843 Old 01-11-2016, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteoreos View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I've had the chance to try these out, and to be perfectly honest, I'm not a fan.

I could stretch to $150 for something else?
You could TRY for the Astro A40s, but I dont know if you'd find one with a mixamp. Ebay can typically come up with a set including mixamp for around 175-180.

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415
Twitter: @roguengames
YouTube Gameplay Videos

I am the greatest MGO player eva!! - http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415/v/24236420
post #5836 of 5843 Old 01-16-2016, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I've got the Astro A50's and I really like them. The only disadvantage to them is you have to have a wire connected to the wireless controller for the microphone functionality. I guess Turtle Beach has an exclusive license with Microsoft to do it entirely without wires.
post #5837 of 5843 Old 01-16-2016, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 329
Had my ASTRO A40s for 2 years now and still love them. I use them on PC, XBO, and PS4. I want to go wireless soon so I'm looking into picking up the A50s.

I got my A40s on Amazon for about 185 new.
post #5838 of 5843 Old 01-19-2016, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

A cool way to hang our headsets when not in use...http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-bu...23349620156883

post #5839 of 5843 Old 01-20-2016, 09:03 AM

What do you guys think of the following products? Thinking of adding one of these when I upgrade my Tritton Warheads (probably with Tritton Katanas when they come out, if completely wireless new gen Astro A50's doesn't get announced)

-
http://thesubpac.com/subpac-shop/

-
http://korfx.com
post #5840 of 5843 Old 01-20-2016, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmaison View Post
I've got the Astro A50's and I really like them. The only disadvantage to them is you have to have a wire connected to the wireless controller for the microphone functionality. I guess Turtle Beach has an exclusive license with Microsoft to do it entirely without wires.
I love my A50s. I enjoy them so much that at this point I wouldn't want to game any other way. When they went on sale over Christmas I grabbed a spare pair - mine are 2 years old so when they decide stop working or the battery life stinks I'm good to go w/o having to shell out another $300 + tax.

Gaming hard from October thru April.
post #5841 of 5843 Old 01-20-2016, 09:58 PM

If you're thinking about getting a pair of astro A50's you might want to chat up their tech support and sales people they have on their website. I did so with some question about my a40's and they offered me a 20% discount on a new pair of A50's a month ago! So, I picked up my Xbox One green/black set for $229. I don't know if that was something they were offering for the Xmas shopping season, or if it's common policy for them to offer discounts when customers chat them up- but it never hurts to ask!

www.astrogaming.com and click on a headset model...and they will have a little blue live chat file type tab on the left edge of the screen near the bottom.
post #5842 of 5843 Old 01-20-2016, 10:13 PM

If you're thinking about getting a pair of astro A50's you might want to chat up their tech support and sales people they have on their website. I did so with some question about my a40's and they offered me a 20% discount on a new pair of A50's a month ago! So, I picked up my Xbox One green/black set for $229. I don't know if that was something they were offering for the Xmas shopping season, or if it's common policy for them to offer discounts when customers chat them up- but it never hurts to ask!

www.astrogaming.com and click on a headset model...and they will have a little blue live chat file type tab on the left edge of the screen near the bottom.
post #5843 of 5843 Old 01-21-2016, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Just my guess, but I think they are getting ready to rev the A50s. They were on sale for $225 on Amazon and Best Buy for quite awhile last holiday season. Far longer than they were in years past. The A40s were rev'd, I bet the A50s are next.

Gaming hard from October thru April.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area