The NEW Gaming Headset/Headphone Topic! (REQUEST STICKY PLZ) - Page 196 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 38Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5851 of 5880 Old 06-12-2016, 03:47 PM
Member
 
cbeck23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have you guys seen the latest news about the new Astro A50s? I placed a link below. Wireless chat, Yup!

I was waiting for black version of the Tritton Katanas. HDMI input vs the optical/USB: how much difference would this really make for sound? Now watch, I will make a choice,and Steelseries will announce something interesting. Lol.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...-71-more/32636
cbeck23 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5852 of 5880 Old 06-12-2016, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rightintel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeck23 View Post
Have you guys seen the latest news about the new Astro A50s? I placed a link below. Wireless chat, Yup!

I was waiting for black version of the Tritton Katanas. HDMI input vs the optical/USB: how much difference would this really make for sound? Now watch, I will make a choice,and Steelseries will announce something interesting. Lol.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...-71-more/32636

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
rightintel is offline  
post #5853 of 5880 Old 06-14-2016, 05:43 PM
Senior Member
 
henhowc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: 90025
Posts: 374
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post
I don't know that I would trust anything drift0r says about these things sound wise as he appears to be sponsored by them

That being said its a good first look/unboxing to check out the physical updates and new transmitter/dock
henhowc is offline  
post #5854 of 5880 Old 07-04-2016, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rightintel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Funny thing happened to me yesterday. I finally updated my TB 500X's firmware(several months late). When I rebooted, it went to stereo. However, the sound effects were much clearer, and the directional sound was WAY more localized. Before I realized I wasn't on 7.1, I thought "wow, this update was amazing". I selected footsteps, shooter, and superhuman hearing as my presets. Once I realized it wasn't on 7.1, I toggled the headsets to surround mode. It didn't sound as clear on the sound effects, and the directional sound seemed more muddled. I double-checked all the settings-I was on 7.1surround(obviously simulated), while toggling between the three audio presets. Has anyone who owns these experienced anything similar?

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
rightintel is offline  
post #5855 of 5880 Old 07-04-2016, 04:38 PM
Senior Member
 
spoonmandts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 319
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Without looking thru thousands of posts, anyone use the Turtle beach 500x, and if so, is the surround sound decent? I ask because a coworker is selling his at a good price.

I'm headed out the door, otherwise I'd do a search on here to see if any posts relate to my question.
spoonmandts is online now  
post #5856 of 5880 Old 07-07-2016, 05:31 PM
Senior Member
 
smokozuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 441
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Im bored so I bought some Astro A50's online. going to test them out for a week or 2 to see what all the fuss is about. Currently use the Polk 4 Shots on Xbox One and PS4 and have no complaints with them at all.
smokozuna is online now  
post #5857 of 5880 Old 07-15-2016, 04:03 PM
Senior Member
 
smokozuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 441
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Been using the Astro A50 gen 2 for a few days and I am very happy with them. I have owned wireless headsets in the past and they all had digital noise in one of the ear cups. in other words you can hear the headset communicating with the receiver and i find that very annoying. the astros a 50's make no sound in the ear cups if you are sitting in a lobby/party by yourself in dead silence. if i had 1 complaint with the a50's it is that they are bass heavy and that can wear on you in marathon gaming sessions. other than that these are keepers. if anything changes i will post here.
smokozuna is online now  
post #5858 of 5880 Old 07-15-2016, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
Artman22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 538
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 106
When is this new Astro A50s suppose to come out?

PSN: Artman22
Xbox live: Artman22
Artman22 is offline  
post #5859 of 5880 Old 07-16-2016, 02:17 PM
Senior Member
 
henhowc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: 90025
Posts: 374
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokozuna View Post
Been using the Astro A50 gen 2 for a few days and I am very happy with them. I have owned wireless headsets in the past and they all had digital noise in one of the ear cups. in other words you can hear the headset communicating with the receiver and i find that very annoying. the astros a 50's make no sound in the ear cups if you are sitting in a lobby/party by yourself in dead silence. if i had 1 complaint with the a50's it is that they are bass heavy and that can wear on you in marathon gaming sessions. other than that these are keepers. if anything changes i will post here.
does your right earcup buzz whenever the mic pics up audio? that was the deal breaker for me.
henhowc is offline  
post #5860 of 5880 Old 07-16-2016, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ElectronicTonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ventura, CA
Posts: 1,069
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artman22 View Post
When is this new Astro A50s suppose to come out?
According to THIS article, "late August".
Artman22 likes this.
ElectronicTonic is online now  
post #5861 of 5880 Old 07-16-2016, 03:10 PM
Senior Member
 
smokozuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 441
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by henhowc View Post
does your right earcup buzz whenever the mic pics up audio? that was the deal breaker for me.
no it does not. i have tested this with the included astro gen 2 chat adapter and using the MS controller adapter along with a 2.5mm to 3.5mm 3 pole cable. also i use alkaline batteries in my controller, do you use a rechargeable battery pack maybe? i have run into people that use a rechargeable battery packs in there controller that cause noise in the headset while they are charging.

Last edited by smokozuna; 07-16-2016 at 09:07 PM.
smokozuna is online now  
post #5862 of 5880 Old 07-16-2016, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Big Brad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Brandon, FL
Posts: 2,204
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokozuna View Post
Im bored so I bought some Astro A50's online. going to test them out for a week or 2 to see what all the fuss is about. Currently use the Polk 4 Shots on Xbox One and PS4 and have no complaints with them at all.
Are there any huge differences between the Gen 1 and Gen 2 A50's? I just received my Gen 1 refurbs Thursday. I'm coming from the HyperX Cloud 2's combined with a Turtle Beach DSS. So far, the Astro's are a bit more bass heavy but I really like the sound of the Core Audio eq preset.

I like the Cloud 2's but I really wanted something wireless (I don't mind the cord to the controller for chat) so I can relax back on the bed while I play. Since my fiancé is normally asleep next to me I just prefer to not have a cord from the DSS.

In terms of audio quality I'm unsure as of yet. I enjoy the Cloud 2's but I feel like they can be a bit fatiguing in the highs especially for longer gaming sessions. The Astros don't seem to be as "crisp" unless you use the Pro eq preset, but I feel like this would lend to longer gaming sessions better. Overall comfort is a toss up right now. The Astros are a bit heavier than the Cloud 2's, but that wasn't an issue for the couple hours I used them last night.

I'll post more in depth impressions after I use them more. Right now I'm really digging the Astros, and I got in at the right price (under $100).
Big Brad is offline  
post #5863 of 5880 Old 07-16-2016, 10:15 PM
Senior Member
 
smokozuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 441
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post
Are there any huge differences between the Gen 1 and Gen 2 A50's? I just received my Gen 1 refurbs Thursday. I'm coming from the HyperX Cloud 2's combined with a Turtle Beach DSS. So far, the Astro's are a bit more bass heavy but I really like the sound of the Core Audio eq preset.

I like the Cloud 2's but I really wanted something wireless (I don't mind the cord to the controller for chat) so I can relax back on the bed while I play. Since my fiancé is normally asleep next to me I just prefer to not have a cord from the DSS.

In terms of audio quality I'm unsure as of yet. I enjoy the Cloud 2's but I feel like they can be a bit fatiguing in the highs especially for longer gaming sessions. The Astros don't seem to be as "crisp" unless you use the Pro eq preset, but I feel like this would lend to longer gaming sessions better. Overall comfort is a toss up right now. The Astros are a bit heavier than the Cloud 2's, but that wasn't an issue for the couple hours I used them last night.

I'll post more in depth impressions after I use them more. Right now I'm really digging the Astros, and I got in at the right price (under $100).
no huge differences. i believe the only difference if i remember correctly are the usb cable on the gen 1 is mini and on the gen 2 is micro, also the gen 2 comes with astros version of the chat adapter for xbox one. having said that i tested the gen 2 chat adapter and my friends said i sounded louder using the MS chat adapter vs astro gen 2 chat adapter. if i pushed the mic closer to my mouth they said i sounded the same on both. imo there is no reason to buy the gen 2 over the gen 1.

also, i am not a astro fanboy and have had my fair share of troubles with wireless headsets in the past. i fully expected not to like the astro a50's and planned on returning them if i did not like them. well i like them a lot if i am honest. a hell of a lot. i have been having a ball using them in destiny and forza 6. haven't played bo3 with them yet but that is coming soon.

Last edited by smokozuna; 07-16-2016 at 10:19 PM.
smokozuna is online now  
post #5864 of 5880 Old 07-17-2016, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Big Brad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Brandon, FL
Posts: 2,204
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 404
I ended up wearing them for about 5 hours straight last night. If I wasn't gaming (thanks to system updates and Internet bugginess) I was listening to music while doing laundry, etc. I never once found them uncomfortable and like that I can switch EQs on the headset. I watched 2 episodes of Game of Thrones with them and they sounded more dynamic than the Cloud 2'2, if not slightly more muffled on the high end.

I wanted to mention that since I wear glasses with thick frames it's always been a chore finding a headset that didn't hurt my head OR my earlobes after a while. After 5 hours I can truly say that I forgot I had them on. They are that comfortable. And the simulated surround sound is better than what I've heard outside of maybe DTS Headphone X.

Needless to say, I'm keeping them. They are now my go to headphones for gaming.
smokozuna and Artman22 like this.
Big Brad is offline  
post #5865 of 5880 Old 07-17-2016, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
Artman22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 538
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I personally never had any major issues with the Astros only in the beginning with the Xbox one and the controller cutting off and losing signal


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
smokozuna likes this.

PSN: Artman22
Xbox live: Artman22
Artman22 is offline  
post #5866 of 5880 Old 07-19-2016, 03:56 PM
Senior Member
 
smokozuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 441
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 85
update

i have the gen 2 astro a50's and i am running them directly to the controller with no microsoft controller adapter. i have the newer controller with the 3.5mm jack. i picked up some 2.5 to 3.5mm 3 pole cables off ebay and this allows me to go from the headset directly to the controller without using a ms controller adapter. to mute i raise the mic, i adjust chat/game balance on the right earcup and volume on the back of the right earcup. also in the console settings i maxed out the volume setting and minimized the mic monitoring setting. everything is working brilliantly!
smokozuna is online now  
post #5867 of 5880 Old 07-21-2016, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
Artman22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 538
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I guess I spoke too soon. Lately my 2nd gen Astros A50 remains with the orange like on and I can't turn them off unless I hold down the power button then it goes to pairing mode then I can turn them off. I've googled the issue and it looks like many people experience this too. I just haven't found a solution for it and my firmwares are up to date. Luckily I have Geek squad warranty so I'll just wait for the new ones coming soon and get those instead.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PSN: Artman22
Xbox live: Artman22
Artman22 is offline  
post #5868 of 5880 Old 07-24-2016, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member
 
Artman22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 538
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I found the fix. Just let the battery drain completely and after that it works normal again.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PSN: Artman22
Xbox live: Artman22
Artman22 is offline  
post #5869 of 5880 Old 07-24-2016, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
emartins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 5,490
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1157 Post(s)
Liked: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artman22 View Post
I found the fix. Just let the battery drain completely and after that it works normal again.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Same thing happened when I owned the a50s. It will happen once in awhile. Happened a handful of times within the year I owned them.

One of the greatest posts I have read

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/142-pl...l#post24609271
emartins is offline  
post #5870 of 5880 Old 07-26-2016, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Big Brad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Brandon, FL
Posts: 2,204
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Going on about 2 weeks now with the A50's and still love them. I used my Cloud 2's for a bit on the PC for some light gaming (Half-Life 2 and Portal 2), and I found the highs to be extremely fatiguing. I couldn't find a good balance. So I guess I can say I'm officially a fan of the Astro's haha.

Battery life has been as expected. I'm getting about 8-10 hours between charges. That was one of my concerns with buying a refurbished headset. So far, so good. I like that I'm able to play and charge at the same time. I could do that with the Turtle Beach PX4's, but the audio quality on those are simply atrocious.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
Big Brad is offline  
post #5871 of 5880 Old 08-17-2016, 08:12 PM
Senior Member
 
smokozuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 441
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 85
picked up a pair of turtle beach 800x today. going to test them for a week or two and see how they differ from the astro a50's. right off the bat i like this headset. sound quality is good, comfort is good but i haven't tested the mic yet. out of the box the 800x had a hiss in the earcup when everything else is silent and the mic monitoring did not seem to be working. both of these problems are solved by turning off active noise cancellation on the headset. now i have no hiss and the mic monitoring is working perfectly.

i am not a big fan of turtle beach and i initially thought i would not like this headset but after using them for a few hours i like them quite a bit. i also like my astro a50's but it will take we a few days to figure out which headset is better and why.
smokozuna is online now  
post #5872 of 5880 Old 08-18-2016, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rightintel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokozuna View Post
picked up a pair of turtle beach 800x today. going to test them for a week or two and see how they differ from the astro a50's. right off the bat i like this headset. sound quality is good, comfort is good but i haven't tested the mic yet. out of the box the 800x had a hiss in the earcup when everything else is silent and the mic monitoring did not seem to be working. both of these problems are solved by turning off active noise cancellation on the headset. now i have no hiss and the mic monitoring is working perfectly.

i am not a big fan of turtle beach and i initially thought i would not like this headset but after using them for a few hours i like them quite a bit. i also like my astro a50's but it will take we a few days to figure out which headset is better and why.
I almost went w/ those, but the built-in mic concerned me. W/ the boom, sometimes I just have to slightly swing it away/closer to fix problems w/ others in the party.
smokozuna likes this.

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
rightintel is offline  
post #5873 of 5880 Old 08-18-2016, 09:21 PM
Senior Member
 
smokozuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 441
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post
I almost went w/ those, but the built-in mic concerned me. W/ the boom, sometimes I just have to slightly swing it away/closer to fix problems w/ others in the party.
here is my review after a day of use. the astro a50 have better sound quality, better mic quality, better comfort and better build quality. the only reason to buy the 800x is if you insist on being completely wireless, you want to stream music to the headset via blutooth and charge the headset magnetically via the docking station. these 3 things the 800x do brilliantly.

i do not feel either of these headsets are worth $300 because of there mediocre sound quality but I can not bring myself to get rid of one of them either. they both fill different roles and i think i will keep them both and use the one that fits that days situation. if i had to choose one and could live with a wire to the controller for chat the astro a50 is definitely the way to go.
smokozuna is online now  
post #5874 of 5880 Old 08-19-2016, 11:20 AM
Senior Member
 
henhowc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: 90025
Posts: 374
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 24
way too many buttons and options on that tb for my liking.

still looking to see how the lucidsound ls40 turns out when it gets released in a couple of months. i really liked the simplicity of the ls30 and how easy it was to adjust audio and chat volume on the fly versus most other headsets where you only have a balancer.
henhowc is offline  
post #5875 of 5880 Old 08-19-2016, 04:13 PM
Senior Member
 
smokozuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 441
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by henhowc View Post
way too many buttons and options on that tb for my liking.

still looking to see how the lucidsound ls40 turns out when it gets released in a couple of months. i really liked the simplicity of the ls30 and how easy it was to adjust audio and chat volume on the fly versus most other headsets where you only have a balancer.
man you nailed it. god help you if you hit the wrong button and have to cycle through all the presets to get back to where you were. there is a learning curve with this headset and sometimes i have to take the headset off my head to see where the button is i am looking for so i dont screw up another setting. having said that, i now have the headset the way i want it and only adjust volume up or down for game or chat. so once you have the headset setup the way you want its a no brainer. no wires is where this thing shines, every headset in this day and age should be completely wireless. i love dropping this thing on the dock to charge when my gaming session is over and walking away. no wires is bliss.

i never heard of the ls40 so thanks i will look that up.

also the new wireless astro a50's have been delayed.
smokozuna is online now  
post #5876 of 5880 Old 08-19-2016, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rightintel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokozuna View Post
man you nailed it. god help you if you hit the wrong button and have to cycle through all the presets to get back to where you were. there is a learning curve with this headset and sometimes i have to take the headset off my head to see where the button is i am looking for so i dont screw up another setting. having said that, i now have the headset the way i want it and only adjust volume up or down for game or chat. so once you have the headset setup the way you want its a no brainer. no wires is where this thing shines, every headset in this day and age should be completely wireless. i love dropping this thing on the dock to charge when my gaming session is over and walking away. no wires is bliss.

i never heard of the ls40 so thanks i will look that up.

also the new wireless astro a50's have been delayed.
Agreed about the button madness-although I haven't adjusted mine since I programmed my presets. I was wondering what your preferences were for presets. I programmed mine for Signature Sound(you can't eliminate that one), Footsteps, Shooter, & Superhuman Hearing. To be quite honest, they're all almost identical. Disappointing that they weren't more distinct.

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
rightintel is offline  
post #5877 of 5880 Old 08-19-2016, 07:02 PM
Senior Member
 
smokozuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 441
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post
Agreed about the button madness-although I haven't adjusted mine since I programmed my presets. I was wondering what your preferences were for presets. I programmed mine for Signature Sound(you can't eliminate that one), Footsteps, Shooter, & Superhuman Hearing. To be quite honest, they're all almost identical. Disappointing that they weren't more distinct.
same here, signature sound and active noise cancellation off are what i use. turning ANC off was the only way i could remove the hiss and get mic monitoring to work. i would add sound and mic quality on this headset is mediocre at best. for $300 they should sound superb not subpar. walking around the living room speaking to friends wireless without a controller in my hand is awful nice though and i am in love with the charging dock. i switched back to the a50's today and everyone commented my mic sounded much better over the 800x. this headset should be 99 bucks not $299. for 300 bucks the sound should knock your socks off imo.
smokozuna is online now  
post #5878 of 5880 Old Yesterday, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rightintel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokozuna View Post
same here, signature sound and active noise cancellation off are what i use. turning ANC off was the only way i could remove the hiss and get mic monitoring to work. i would add sound and mic quality on this headset is mediocre at best. for $300 they should sound superb not subpar. walking around the living room speaking to friends wireless without a controller in my hand is awful nice though and i am in love with the charging dock. i switched back to the a50's today and everyone commented my mic sounded much better over the 800x. this headset should be 99 bucks not $299. for 300 bucks the sound should knock your socks off imo.
From what i've read, the cost of wireless really limits their ability to be audiophile. Hell, I'd gladly pay another $100 for better audio. Then again, the demographic buying them probably won't. I'm actually pretty happy w/ the surround processing, but the dynamic range of all my gaming headsets has always been limited(due to production cost I assume).

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
rightintel is offline  
post #5879 of 5880 Old Yesterday, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Big Brad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Brandon, FL
Posts: 2,204
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 404
I'm still really liking my Astro A50s. I think if I would have spent $300 on them I'd be disappointed, but for the amount of money spent I feel I've gotten my money's worth.

In regards to Turtle Beach, I've used the PX4 and X12's for a few years. The sound quality of the PX4's left a lot to be desired, while I didn't mind the X12's as much. Regardless, I found both headphones to hurt my earlobes after extended gaming sessions. I've since sold both sets and have The Astros and the HyperX Cloud IIs as a backup. I enjoy the sound quality on both, though neither are anywhere close to being audiophile headphones.
smokozuna likes this.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
Big Brad is offline  
post #5880 of 5880 Old Today, 04:05 PM
Senior Member
 
smokozuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 441
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post
I'm still really liking my Astro A50s. I think if I would have spent $300 on them I'd be disappointed, but for the amount of money spent I feel I've gotten my money's worth.

In regards to Turtle Beach, I've used the PX4 and X12's for a few years. The sound quality of the PX4's left a lot to be desired, while I didn't mind the X12's as much. Regardless, I found both headphones to hurt my earlobes after extended gaming sessions. I've since sold both sets and have The Astros and the HyperX Cloud IIs as a backup. I enjoy the sound quality on both, though neither are anywhere close to being audiophile headphones.
i like the astros too. funny thing is the a50's are better in every way compared to the 800x but i find myself using the 800x more because of the lack of wires and ease of charging. maybe i am just getting old

the px4 are the worst sounding headset i ever owned and i have owned nearly every headset made. the x12's with the DSS box i was happy with for years but when the headset failed i bought a new pair and they were just too tight for me to wear. i tried everything to stretch those things out but they were just uncomfortable and i had to admit the wires running across the living room floor was getting old too.

i dont mind paying $300 for a headset but i wish the sound quality was better and i wish they would get the mic issues sorted before releasing the headsets for sale to the public. i do not enjoy paying $300 to be a beta tester.
smokozuna is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Xbox Area



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off