The NEW Gaming Headset/Headphone Topic! (REQUEST STICKY PLZ) - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #31 of 5454 Old 10-26-2010, 10:53 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 164
What is the best reason to have a mixamp, dolby headphone? Is there any other device that could provide dolby headphone processing?

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 5454 Old 10-26-2010, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Looking at AX720 it has two headphone input but don't appear to be 1/4" phone jack.

What kind of jack is this and how can you plug a different headphone to it?
post #33 of 5454 Old 10-26-2010, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Looking at AX720 it has two headphone input but don't appear to be 1/4" phone jack.

What kind of jack is this and how can you plug a different headphone to it?

There's two headphone OUTputs, but they're proprietary connections if you're looking at the amp itself. The cable that connects there (with the special connection) has a dongle on it that has 2 3.5 mm connections - one for headphones, and one for the mic. Back on the other thread, someone (formulanerd, maybe?) posted some really good pics of the dongle and where you'd connect any standard headphones.

Read. Think. Post. In that order, preferably

"If the Playstation and Xbox are like the Bloods and the Crips, then the Wii is whatever gang Sha Na Na was in" - Christian Finnegan
post #34 of 5454 Old 10-26-2010, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I rented MW2 for the PS3 last night (they didn't have it on the 360) and played about 10 matches with my DT990s... out of the 10 FFA matches, I won every single one of them, with a clear gap between 1st and 2nd. I hadn't even played the game in over a month.

I played with the purpose of testing out the DT990s. Verdict: They work, and work well. Definitely ahead of the 880s, and have the best VERTICAL soundstage of all the headphones I have used. The AD700 and K701 have more width and depth, but the 990s have a clear advantage in overhead soundstaging. I usually never noticed these things before. I dunno if they are worthy of being straight gaming performers, but they definitely wouldn't be problematic to use. Again, MW2 has proven just how terrible the overall sound quality is compared to CoD4 and WaW. The DT990 is a stickler for detail, and exposed a lot of the faults with the game's audio.

If someone wanted a competent gaming headphone that wants bass and clarity, definitely look into the 990/600. I'd definitely choose the K701 and AD700 ove the 990 for competitions though. The positioning of those two are clear cut winners. In overall positioning, I'd say:

DT990s are a 7/10
DT880 is a 6/10
K701 is a 9/10,
AD700 is a 10/10
DT770 Pro 80s is an 11/10! (I hope that if and when I get the DT770/600, that they can provide that level of positionin with much more clarity)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Face View Post

hey OP, how bout just making an excel sheet with all the headphones ya'll blab about, plus all the mix amps. create a table with references to "Crap, Good, Better, OMFG!" as a rating system.

hyperlinks to extra reviews, vid demos, MSRP info...kinda like someone used to do with all the arcade games... what was that genisus' name?!?!?!

Lol, I suck at computer programs. If someone makes up something that comprehensive, I'll be more than happy to post it.
post #35 of 5454 Old 10-26-2010, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams84 View Post

I thought I had read in the old thread that the astro mixamp was much better than the amp that comes with the ax720. As far as finding it, I checked Amazon. I guess I just usually assume that if it's not on amazon it doesn't exist.

In my experience, the AX720 amp has more background noise than the Astro MixAmp. This has been tested with a cheap Optical and a $35 Optical. Though, once music or the game started... that pretty much negated that issue.

I'm not with the Crazies, They just like to stand next to me!

Headphone Audiophiles
post #36 of 5454 Old 10-26-2010, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
at the same volume levels i dont notice any background hiss.... but the ax720 can be pushed farther than the mixamp, it's at that point that you do get some raise in the noise floor, but like you said, if you're playing a game or something, you dont notice it.

if you have the ax720 and want to upgrade the headset to something custom, just unplug the headset from the in line remote and plug your headset in there, dont worry about the funky 9 pin din connection on the astro box itsself, you'll need the inline remote for voice chat anyway.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #37 of 5454 Old 10-26-2010, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the image, 'nerd. I'll resize and put it up on the first post.

Also, added the Senn PC350 and PC360...
post #38 of 5454 Old 10-26-2010, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

cool, as soon as i sell the k702, or dt880/250, i'm gonna order the PC360.... i need to list those, and my Alessandro MS-2i on head-fi.... once i get my hands on the pc360, i'll put up a review.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
post #39 of 5454 Old 10-26-2010, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Nerd, I thought you didn't like the Senn 555? The 555 can be modded to be a 595, which is what the PC360 is based off.

BTW, I put a few bids on a Bravo V2 on Ebay.

Dunno if I'd need it since I'm definitely getting the E9, but oh well...
post #40 of 5454 Old 10-26-2010, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

well even after all the custom headphones i've been using, i want a "good enough" all in one solution.

555 users like to think their can can be modded to a 595, but it's not the same, personally i have not heard the 595 and cannot say if i'll like it or not.

post #41 of 5454 Old 10-26-2010, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by SID3W8Z View Post

In my experience, the AX720 amp has more background noise than the Astro MixAmp. This has been tested with a cheap Optical and a $35 Optical. Though, once music or the game started... that pretty much negated that issue.

As formula said, the AX720 does have some hiss if you turn the volume up but it can be turned up loud enough that I can almost clearly hear you if you're practically whispering while playing in the bedroom while your wife's trying to sleep. You know, if that should happen. If you've got another amp though, it's a non-issue.

Read. Think. Post. In that order, preferably

"If the Playstation and Xbox are like the Bloods and the Crips, then the Wii is whatever gang Sha Na Na was in" - Christian Finnegan
post #42 of 5454 Old 10-26-2010, 02:55 PM

Just for the record, I have the Califone neck mic. It works really well. Picks up voice easily. Only draw back is the extra wire. Also the mmx-300 have come down in price quite a bit in price and do work good with the mixamp. For the price there is better solutions unless you want the best isolation from your surrounding environment which the mmx-300 is the best at.

Xbox gamertag --- KING STYLES 1    Headfi --- KingStyles

post #43 of 5454 Old 10-26-2010, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbexperience View Post

As formula said, the AX720 does have some hiss if you turn the volume up but it can be turned up loud enough that I can almost clearly hear you if you're practically whispering while playing in the bedroom while your wife's trying to sleep. You know, if that should happen. If you've got another amp though, it's a non-issue.

Who would be so insensitive to game in a bedroom while their significant other is trying to sleep?

Headphone Audiophiles
post #44 of 5454 Old 10-26-2010, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I would and have! That's when a closed headphone is a must! Lol, my gf was watching movies on her laptop with the damn Siberias. I told her that they're an open headphone and she looked at me all weird. XD
post #45 of 5454 Old 10-26-2010, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin CZ View Post

I would and have! That's when a closed headphone is a must! Lol, my gf was watching movies on her laptop with the damn Siberias. I told her that they're an open headphone and she looked at me all weird. XD

Astro A30s work quite well in that situation too!

Headphone Audiophiles
post #46 of 5454 Old 10-26-2010, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That's what my CALs are for, for now anyways.

As an upgrade to that, the DT770/600 will do.

As for her, she likes the DT770s, but she's not one for amps... meh, I don't wanna spend $250+ for the 32ohm version. She doesn't like leather pads either. Velour or bust. I dunno, her laptop drives the DT990/600 pretty much as loud as she'd like, so perhaps I should just go that route. She loved my DT880/32's look, and I told her it'd look the same without the grill, but a solid cup. She loved the pics, and thought both the 880s and 990s were super comfy. As for the A30s, she wouldn't like on ears. She's really sensitive about that. She loved the Siberias based of comfort. <_<<br />
Anyone looking to try some CALs? Will trade for the HPX with mixamp cable, and like $20 dollars... I still need a dedicated headset. It's either that or just rebuy the labtec mic and try and mod them again without adding the velcro.
post #47 of 5454 Old 10-26-2010, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbexperience View Post

There's two headphone OUTputs, but they're proprietary connections if you're looking at the amp itself. The cable that connects there (with the special connection) has a dongle on it that has 2 3.5 mm connections - one for headphones, and one for the mic. Back on the other thread, someone (formulanerd, maybe?) posted some really good pics of the dongle and where you'd connect any standard headphones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by formulanerd
if you have the ax720 and want to upgrade the headset to something custom, just unplug the headset from the in line remote and plug your headset in there, dont worry about the funky 9 pin din connection on the astro box itsself, you'll need the inline remote for voice chat anyway.

Thanks bbexperience for the explanation and formulanerd for the pic.

So for two headphones I would have to buy an extra dongle from Tritton?
post #48 of 5454 Old 10-26-2010, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I think you will be impressed by the bravo v2 for the price. Hope you win and share your experience. You can also roll tubes with it, and there are a lot of cap/etc mods for it too if you want to get into that.

SXRD/Oppo/Yamaha/Klipsch
PS3/PSN: pj_rage
360/Live: pjrage82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan
Dude please, your list of toys is so long its like Santa is your dad lol.
post #49 of 5454 Old 10-26-2010, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ_Rage View Post

I think you will be impressed by the bravo v2 for the price. Hope you win and share your experience. You can also roll tubes with it, and there are a lot of cap/etc mods for it too if you want to get into that.

Lol, I didn't win. It's probably for the best.

You see, I don't think I'll like a tube amp for any of my headphones, as it will make them warmer. I don't particularly care for a warmer sound off my K701 and DT990s. I like them to sound pretty much just as they are, just better driven. Any treble roll off would pretty much irk me to hell.

I'm pretty sure I'm a solid state kind of guy.
post #50 of 5454 Old 10-26-2010, 07:14 PM

Location: New York, New York (say it twice, we're kinda slow)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingStyles View Post

Just for the record, I have the Califone neck mic. It works really well. Picks up voice easily. Only draw back is the extra wire. Also the mmx-300 have come down in price quite a bit in price and do work good with the mixamp. For the price there is better solutions unless you want the best isolation from your surrounding environment which the mmx-300 is the best at.

King, do you find the Califone mic stable when you're wearing it? I was looking at one, but was concerned it would move around on me to much. If you had to do it over, would you opt for the Califone again or would you go with something else?

Thanks!
Xyst

Xbox Live: SubPrime Debt

post #51 of 5454 Old 10-26-2010, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Which exact Califone mic are you using? I believe I'll go this route, but I'm not sure as I'm a big dude (6'2" 200lbs), and my neck may be too big for it?
post #52 of 5454 Old 10-26-2010, 08:14 PM

I have a pretty skinny neck. I found that it was stable when I wore it. Because it is like a snake light, how you position it is how it will stay. I was using the one that you had a link to on the first page.

Xbox gamertag --- KING STYLES 1    Headfi --- KingStyles

post #53 of 5454 Old 10-26-2010, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I dunno what has happened in the past few days or so hours of burning in my DT990s with pink noise, but they have clearly gained a boost in overall volume, as now I can play my PS3 games with absolutely no issue with volume off my Mixamp (full game audio, no voice), and yes, now they sound about as hard to drive as my K701, whereas the 990s were harder to drive in volume when I first got them. I tried out the same game I first tested out, and now I find myself needing significantly less volume than last time I played the game. Don't know how the overall SQ has been affected (I honestly didn't test it out long enough to give a fair assessment pre and post burn in.). I'm burning them in for the sake of burning them in and not because I found them lacking in any particular area, with the exception of having a a slightly harsh upper range. It wasn't an issue for me, but I could notice it back then. I didn't notice it today, but I'm not gonna consider it an obvious change, if any even occurred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamonster on Head-fi aka Deckhand Davey on Youtube View Post

^^ The E7 is completely disabled when docked and its bass and volume controls are not active. It only acts as a DAC. The gain is excellent for high impedance cans such as my k701's and DT990/600 cans. The high gain works extremely well with this. Funny thing is that I don't really need to use it since the amp can power them just fine on either low or high settings.

And again, I have to say this once more, this is hands down the best amp I have used yet when paired to my K701's. Even better than my little dot MK IV (minus the warmth, of course). The K701's have been sitting on the bench for months up until FiiO sent me their sample. I'm loving it.

That sounds like the E9 is made of pure epic win for my K701 AND DT990/600.

With a glowing impression like that, who WOULDN'T wanna try it out for the <$130 price tag?
post #54 of 5454 Old 10-26-2010, 10:09 PM

Calm down... Wait for E9, don't get something else

I'm waiting for your E9 review with k701 and dt990/600.
post #55 of 5454 Old 10-27-2010, 03:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Now I want and E9 and a 24bit E7! That would be nice... and look good on the desk!

Headphone Audiophiles
post #56 of 5454 Old 10-27-2010, 04:30 AM
AVS Special Member

The bravo v2 is a hybrid, not as "tubey". I still think you would like it. And they are powerful as hell. Probably my most powerful amp, although it can also drive itself into distortion if you go too hard. It's great for high impedance cans like the 600 ohm beyers, but is not as good of a choice for low impedance cans, because it will be really hard to control the volume on them.

SXRD/Oppo/Yamaha/Klipsch
PS3/PSN: pj_rage
360/Live: pjrage82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan
Dude please, your list of toys is so long its like Santa is your dad lol.
post #57 of 5454 Old 10-27-2010, 06:33 AM

The bravo amp really makes a great addition to my astro rx-900 setup. It's brought so much out of them.
post #58 of 5454 Old 10-27-2010, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SID3W8Z View Post

Now I want and E9 and a 24bit E7! That would be nice... and look good on the desk!

* Due to the USB spec restriction on digital audio format. E7 support up to 48kHz / 16bits USB decoding function.
post #59 of 5454 Old 10-27-2010, 06:47 AM
ATB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin CZ View Post

Yeah, I'll get to it later today. Both PC350 and PC360. I'll skip the MMX300 as it's prohibitively expensive, and I think only one of us here has tried it with Virtual Surround...
I think I covered most if not all of the popular ones, so I believe that will be it. I'll be making minor tweaks to the images, as well as adding info that you guys think the first post needs.

I used the MMX300s for a couple of years, before switching to the open design of the K702. The MMX300 aren't so expensive anymore. A quick check on Amazon lists them for $299, $50 more than the PC 360 (and cheaper than K702s now). To me, the MMX 300 is the best closed-design headset you can get. Built like a tank and sounds terrific.

XBL Wishbone AB
post #60 of 5454 Old 10-27-2010, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'd love my hands on the MMX300, but for the price, I want something a little more versatile. If the mic was removable, I'd have considered it long ago.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page