AVS Forum banner

The NEW Gaming Headset/Headphone Topic! (REQUEST STICKY PLZ)

497K views 6K replies 472 participants last post by  kevin g. 
#1 ·
UPDATE 2/12/2011: Added my FULL 1st post from my Gaming Headphone/Headset guide found on Head-fi. PLEASE check the 4th post on this page. It is massive, so bear with me.

Considering how huge the "What Gaming Headphones To Buy?" thread has become (over 10,000 post and still going), we've decided to make a new thread where the first post gives you all of the necessary information for getting anyone started on gaming with headphones or headset. We'd also like to request for it to be stickied as the same questions pop up almost every week with the same answers. That, and it's a highly active topic.

edit: Posted information on real surround sound headsets vs stereo headsets/headphones with virtual surround.

If you're looking for effective and well known solutions into gaming with virtual surround, you have a few options: (I will post the most well known combinations and setups. There are plenty of headsets and headphones that do well with gaming, but these are regarded as the most accessible or just plain out best for the price)

Note: Open means that they have an open ear design, which allows air to pass through the back of the cups, allowing your ears to 'breathe', as well as keeping the sound from bouncing back to your ears which may or may not sound inferior to a closed ear design.

Closed means that it's a closed-ear design that will isolate you as well as prevent sound from leaking out. Closed headphones usually have more bass, but less width and depth to the soundstage. Closed designs will also heat your ears up a lot faster, which some may find uncomfortable.

Note: REAL surround sound headsets are almost always inferior to a good headset/headphone with virtual surround. Those true surround headsets pack in multiple drivers of lower quality, usually sacrificing sound for the gimmick of them being REAL surround. Many of the posters here and other forums will agree with me in saying that a very good stereo headphone that uses virtual surround (like the Mixamp and AX720's Dolby Headphone), will trump real surround headsets in both audio quality and a surround sound-like effect as well!

HEADSETS

1. Tritton AX720. ($130)

http://www.amazon.com/Tritton-AX720-.../dp/B002ZS6Y64

Closed: This all in one solution brings a headset/w built in mic, virtual surround (Dolby Headphone amp) and all hookups necessary to get you gaming on consoles and PC). At $130, it is an affordable yet effective solution to your headset gaming needs. Most of us agree that this is the most logical first step. Also, while the AX720 comes with two proprietary headphone jacks made specificaly for the AX720 headset, the AX720 comes with a connector that allows use of typical headphones with a 3.5mm plug as well as 3.5mm mic input.

Thanks to Formulanerd for the image of said connector.

2. Astro A30/A40 Audio System ($200 for A30 w/Mixamp, $250 for A40 w/Mixamp, $130 for Mixamp alone to use with other headphones/headsets)

http://www.astrogaming.com/products/

Open OR Closed: This is what I personally started with and it was an effective way into gaming with a headset. It also uses Dolby Headphone virtual surround via the Mixamp. The Mixamp has more versatility than the AX720 amp, as it has the optical digital input, as well as RCA, and digital coaxial inputs. This was regarded as the best headSET combo for gaming, but many don't believe it's worth the extra $100+ over the Tritton AX720 setup. YMMV).

Update: January 2011 There is a new 2011 edition of the A40's with a better mic and new pads that seal better, adding bass. If you own the A40s already, you can buy the upgrade 'kit' for $50, which gives you the new mic and pads, which you can then attach on your own to your old A40s.

Mixamp Wireless 5.8 - ($99.95-$139.95)

http://www.astrogaming.com/products/.../111/wireless/

This is a virtual surround amp like the wired Mixamp, AX720, and Ear Force DSS. However it uses a 5.8ghz signal between the transmitter until and the receiver (which you keep near you to plug any headphone in). The people who have used it has compared the sound quality to the wired mixamp and the difference is indistinguishable. This is the forum member's preference when it comes to wireless. If you absolutely need wireless, this is the way to go, as it won't have the interference or hiss like typical RF units, though if you have 5.8ghz devices, you MIGHT get interference.

3. Turtle Beach HPX or HPA2 ($65-80) with Mixamp ($130)

(HPX)
http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/...force-hpx.aspx

or

(HPA2)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...PHF8C6PWHMEHYE

Open: The HPX or HPA2 is Turtle Beach's headset that is considered by many to be better than both the A40s and AX720, and for a cheaper price. It/they have multiple drivers in each cup, but they perform better in stereo mode (utilizing only 2 cups per ear instead of 4 in each) when paired up with the Mixamp. Keep in mind that you may need to buy a specific Mixamp cable from Turtle Beach's website in order to get it to work with the Mixamp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obazavil /forum/post/0

The HPA2/HPX can be used as follows:

HPX (Dolby Headphone 5.1)

HPX + MixAmp

HPX + AX720 decoder

HPA2 (Real 5.1)

HPA2 + Extigy

HPA2 + HD Audio Rush 5.1 Decoder

HPA2 + GWC Technologies AA1570 External USB 7.1

Sennheiser PC350/PC360

PC350 ($180 or so)

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PC-...8125192&sr=8-1

Closed: The PC350 seems to be based off the Sennheiser 555 in a closed design with a mic atached. You judge if it's worth the premium for a closed version with a mic.

PC360 ($250)

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Gam...8125254&sr=1-1

Open: Here are my impressions of the PC360 now having owned them: AWESOME. They are by far the BEST headSET I have had the pleasure of using. Balanced sound, clear, comfortable, works extremely well with Dolby Headphone. If you want ONE headset that does it all, look no further. These are the ones to get. Just look for deals, as $250 MSRP is a hard price to swallow.

Here's akaTRENT's review on youtube, which pretty much mirrors my own impressions of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuebS...&feature=feedf

HEADPHONES

The next few setups are all with headphones that do NOT come with an attached mic, so you'll have to find a way to do so. However, headphones generally are a lot better in sound quality than headsets in the same price range.

These are all known to perform great with the Mixamp, so make it a mission to buy the Mixamp with any of these. The AX720's amp will work as well if you desire to go that route.

4. Audio Technica AD700 ($80-100)

(credit goes to Fragtality for the boom mic mod and his picture)

(AD700 w/Labtec LVA-7330 microphone modded on)

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-A.../dp/B000CMS0XU

Open: The AD700 is famous over the internet as a headphone that performs incredibly well for gaming, especially when paired up with a virtual surround amp like the Astro Mixamp. It focus most on subtle details in the mids and highs, but lack a good amount of bass. They're great for competitions, but for single player on non-competitive gaming, you may find it a bit lacking. It's extremely comfortable for many, but may fit very loose to some. Again, YMMV. I personally recommend them IF you can get past the lack of bass and extremely loose fit. They do sound great, IMHO.

5. Sennheiser 555/595 ($80-100 or so for the 555, $180+ for the 595)

^Sennheiser 555

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD5...8040197&sr=1-1

^Sennheiser 595

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD5...8040261&sr=1-1

Open: Popular as gaming headphones as well. The 555 and 595 are VERY similar. So much that people have opened up the 555s and found that they use the same exact drivers as the 595, but with a piece of sticky foam that blocks off some holes that make it sound inferior to the 595. So what do they do? Remove the sticky foam! Yup. Doing this will make the 555 indistinguishable from the 595 when it comes to sound. For less than half the price! Here's a video showing us how:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvQ8P...ext=1&index=46

These are the most commonly known gaming headsets/headphones. There are many others, but they are either inferior, comparable in sound but much more expensive, or just not worth looking into.

MICROPHONES

Here is a few microphones people have used to mod onto their headphones or use them without permanently attaching them...

Labtec LVA-7330 ($6-$10 ebay)

http://www.amazon.com/Labtec-LVA7330.../dp/B00000JBRV

I have personally used this with my Creative Aurvana Live, and the mic works very well. What people do is saw off the headband and only use the part with the mic attached (look at the AD700 pic on this post as a reference)

Califone neck mic
http://www.amazon.com/Califone-CM-31...8041332&sr=1-1

Dealextreme clip on mic
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.7080

I have personally used the Zalman, and found it to be just downright terrible. THIS clip on is cheap and VERY effective. I personally own it and it rocks for the $2.50 I spent, though you have to wait like a month to get it...

(many thanks to forum member obazavil for recommending these)

HIGHER END AVS MEMBER TOP CHOICES (with Mixamp or AX720 amp)

AKG K701 (white) or K702 (dark blue) ($250 or waaay more)

http://www.amazon.com/AKG-K-701-WHIT...8041978&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/AKG-K702-Open-...8042037&sr=8-1

We here on AVS tend to go a little to the extreme, and generally have found that the K701 or K702 make AMAZING gaming headphones. Quite possibly the best gaming headphones under $300. The only problem is that they are very hard to drive, especially if you plan on attaching a mic for voice chatting. The Mixamp is actually very capable of powering the K701/2, but only if you set the Game/Voice knob all the way towards game, meaning no voice chat. Once you mix in voice chat, you will find the K701/2 to be severely underpowered. So in order to get past that issue, you need to add a dedicated desktop amp (like the Fiio E9) for the sole purpose of powering hard to drive headphones.

With this method your setup would look like this:

Console/PC --- Mixamp/AX720 amp --- Power amp --- K701/2 (or other hard to drive headphones)

I'm a gaming headphone enthusiast and will say that the K701 is in my opinion the very best gaming headphone I have used and owned, and I have tried quite a number...

Sennheiser HD598 ($160-300 or so)

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-...5876535&sr=8-1

One word. FANTASTIC. Even better than the PC360 sans built in mic. Consider these the truest upgrade to the AD700 without extra amping. Crystal clear, fantastic soundstage, amazing positioning, and incredibly comfortable. Also has detachable cable. If you don't need a mic and can find these for around the $170 mark, these are a MUST buy for those who don't wanna spend extra on an amp. I'd say the K701/K702 is better, but they are also more expensive and NEED an extra amp if you plan on using a mic. The HD598 is a more logical choice for gamers. They will NOT let you down, I personally guarantee it.

Headphone Stands

Rubbermaid Fast Hose Hook ($10-$15)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

Works like a charm, is very solid, and the edges are rounded off so it won't damage your headband. If you have huge headphones, you might wanna add something on the top (where the headband rests) to get some clearance for your cables.

See less See more
Reactions: Undertow
#27 ·
I thought I had read in the old thread that the astro mixamp was much better than the amp that comes with the ax720. As far as finding it, I checked Amazon. I guess I just usually assume that if it's not on amazon it doesn't exist.

#28 ·
i still use my ipod gen 2 headphones. u cant tell me some $400 ear speakers do a better job.

;P

#29 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams84 /forum/post/19391920

I thought I had read in the old thread that the astro mixamp was much better than the amp that comes with the ax720. As far as finding it, I checked Amazon. I guess I just usually assume that if it's not on amazon it doesn't exist.

basically, IF you have already AX720 OR don't want to spend a lot of cash, there is no real need to change to mixamp.

IF you are willing to pay more, you can use MixAmp + (some fancy headset) such as A30, A40, HPX, AD700, K702, etc, etc, etc

#30 ·
hey OP, how bout just making an excel sheet with all the headphones ya'll blab about, plus all the mix amps. create a table with references to "Crap, Good, Better, OMFG!" as a rating system.

hyperlinks to extra reviews, vid demos, MSRP info...kinda like someone used to do with all the arcade games... what was that genisus' name?!?!?!

#33 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin /forum/post/19392067

Looking at AX720 it has two headphone input but don't appear to be 1/4" phone jack.

What kind of jack is this and how can you plug a different headphone to it?

There's two headphone OUTputs, but they're proprietary connections if you're looking at the amp itself. The cable that connects there (with the special connection) has a dongle on it that has 2 3.5 mm connections - one for headphones, and one for the mic. Back on the other thread, someone (formulanerd, maybe?) posted some really good pics of the dongle and where you'd connect any standard headphones.

#34 ·
So I rented MW2 for the PS3 last night (they didn't have it on the 360) and played about 10 matches with my DT990s... out of the 10 FFA matches, I won every single one of them, with a clear gap between 1st and 2nd. I hadn't even played the game in over a month.

I played with the purpose of testing out the DT990s. Verdict: They work, and work well. Definitely ahead of the 880s, and have the best VERTICAL soundstage of all the headphones I have used. The AD700 and K701 have more width and depth, but the 990s have a clear advantage in overhead soundstaging. I usually never noticed these things before. I dunno if they are worthy of being straight gaming performers, but they definitely wouldn't be problematic to use. Again, MW2 has proven just how terrible the overall sound quality is compared to CoD4 and WaW. The DT990 is a stickler for detail, and exposed a lot of the faults with the game's audio.

If someone wanted a competent gaming headphone that wants bass and clarity, definitely look into the 990/600. I'd definitely choose the K701 and AD700 ove the 990 for competitions though. The positioning of those two are clear cut winners. In overall positioning, I'd say:

DT990s are a 7/10

DT880 is a 6/10

K701 is a 9/10,

AD700 is a 10/10

DT770 Pro 80s is an 11/10! (I hope that if and when I get the DT770/600, that they can provide that level of positionin with much more clarity)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Face /forum/post/19391983

hey OP, how bout just making an excel sheet with all the headphones ya'll blab about, plus all the mix amps. create a table with references to "Crap, Good, Better, OMFG!" as a rating system.

hyperlinks to extra reviews, vid demos, MSRP info...kinda like someone used to do with all the arcade games... what was that genisus' name?!?!?!

Lol, I suck at computer programs. If someone makes up something that comprehensive, I'll be more than happy to post it.

#35 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams84 /forum/post/19391920

In my experience, the AX720 amp has more background noise than the Astro MixAmp. This has been tested with a cheap Optical and a $35 Optical. Though, once music or the game started... that pretty much negated that issue.

#36 ·
at the same volume levels i dont notice any background hiss.... but the ax720 can be pushed farther than the mixamp, it's at that point that you do get some raise in the noise floor, but like you said, if you're playing a game or something, you dont notice it.

if you have the ax720 and want to upgrade the headset to something custom, just unplug the headset from the in line remote and plug your headset in there, dont worry about the funky 9 pin din connection on the astro box itsself, you'll need the inline remote for voice chat anyway.

#37 ·
Thanks for the image, 'nerd. I'll resize and put it up on the first post.

Also, added the Senn PC350 and PC360...

#38 ·
cool, as soon as i sell the k702, or dt880/250, i'm gonna order the PC360.... i need to list those, and my Alessandro MS-2i on head-fi.... once i get my hands on the pc360, i'll put up a review.

#39 ·
Nerd, I thought you didn't like the Senn 555? The 555 can be modded to be a 595, which is what the PC360 is based off.

BTW, I put a few bids on a Bravo V2 on Ebay.

Dunno if I'd need it since I'm definitely getting the E9, but oh well...

#40 ·
well even after all the custom headphones i've been using, i want a "good enough" all in one solution.

555 users like to think their can can be modded to a 595, but it's not the same, personally i have not heard the 595 and cannot say if i'll like it or not.

#41 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SID3W8Z /forum/post/19392830

In my experience, the AX720 amp has more background noise than the Astro MixAmp. This has been tested with a cheap Optical and a $35 Optical. Though, once music or the game started... that pretty much negated that issue.

As formula said, the AX720 does have some hiss if you turn the volume up but it can be turned up loud enough that I can almost clearly hear you if you're practically whispering while playing in the bedroom while your wife's trying to sleep. You know, if that should happen.
If you've got another amp though, it's a non-issue.

#42 ·
Just for the record, I have the Califone neck mic. It works really well. Picks up voice easily. Only draw back is the extra wire. Also the mmx-300 have come down in price quite a bit in price and do work good with the mixamp. For the price there is better solutions unless you want the best isolation from your surrounding environment which the mmx-300 is the best at.

#43 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbexperience /forum/post/19393228

As formula said, the AX720 does have some hiss if you turn the volume up but it can be turned up loud enough that I can almost clearly hear you if you're practically whispering while playing in the bedroom while your wife's trying to sleep. You know, if that should happen.
If you've got another amp though, it's a non-issue.

Who would be so insensitive to game in a bedroom while their significant other is trying to sleep?

#44 ·
I would and have! That's when a closed headphone is a must! Lol, my gf was watching movies on her laptop with the damn Siberias. I told her that they're an open headphone and she looked at me all weird. XD

#45 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin CZ /forum/post/19393618

I would and have! That's when a closed headphone is a must! Lol, my gf was watching movies on her laptop with the damn Siberias. I told her that they're an open headphone and she looked at me all weird. XD

Astro A30s work quite well in that situation too!

#46 ·
That's what my CALs are for, for now anyways.

As an upgrade to that, the DT770/600 will do.

As for her, she likes the DT770s, but she's not one for amps... meh, I don't wanna spend $250+ for the 32ohm version. She doesn't like leather pads either. Velour or bust. I dunno, her laptop drives the DT990/600 pretty much as loud as she'd like, so perhaps I should just go that route. She loved my DT880/32's look, and I told her it'd look the same without the grill, but a solid cup. She loved the pics, and thought both the 880s and 990s were super comfy. As for the A30s, she wouldn't like on ears. She's really sensitive about that. She loved the Siberias based of comfort.

#47 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbexperience /forum/post/19392257

There's two headphone OUTputs, but they're proprietary connections if you're looking at the amp itself. The cable that connects there (with the special connection) has a dongle on it that has 2 3.5 mm connections - one for headphones, and one for the mic. Back on the other thread, someone (formulanerd, maybe?) posted some really good pics of the dongle and where you'd connect any standard headphones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd

if you have the ax720 and want to upgrade the headset to something custom, just unplug the headset from the in line remote and plug your headset in there, dont worry about the funky 9 pin din connection on the astro box itsself, you'll need the inline remote for voice chat anyway.

Thanks bbexperience for the explanation and formulanerd for the pic.

So for two headphones I would have to buy an extra dongle from Tritton?

#48 ·
I think you will be impressed by the bravo v2 for the price. Hope you win and share your experience. You can also roll tubes with it, and there are a lot of cap/etc mods for it too if you want to get into that.

#49 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ_Rage /forum/post/19394558

I think you will be impressed by the bravo v2 for the price. Hope you win and share your experience. You can also roll tubes with it, and there are a lot of cap/etc mods for it too if you want to get into that.

Lol, I didn't win. It's probably for the best.

You see, I don't think I'll like a tube amp for any of my headphones, as it will make them warmer. I don't particularly care for a warmer sound off my K701 and DT990s. I like them to sound pretty much just as they are, just better driven. Any treble roll off would pretty much irk me to hell.

I'm pretty sure I'm a solid state kind of guy.

#50 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingStyles /forum/post/19393425

Just for the record, I have the Califone neck mic. It works really well. Picks up voice easily. Only draw back is the extra wire. Also the mmx-300 have come down in price quite a bit in price and do work good with the mixamp. For the price there is better solutions unless you want the best isolation from your surrounding environment which the mmx-300 is the best at.

King, do you find the Califone mic stable when you're wearing it? I was looking at one, but was concerned it would move around on me to much. If you had to do it over, would you opt for the Califone again or would you go with something else?

Thanks!

Xyst

#51 ·
Which exact Califone mic are you using? I believe I'll go this route, but I'm not sure as I'm a big dude (6'2" 200lbs), and my neck may be too big for it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.