The NEW Gaming Headset/Headphone Topic! (REQUEST STICKY PLZ) - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #721 of 5489 Old 12-05-2010, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd View Post

depends on budget!

any "fun" cans that you'd typically enjoy listening to some hip hop, rock, or electronica with would make good single player cans.

I consider my Denon 2000s fun...warm, nice solid bass, but sound stage is close and forward. Maybe with the Mixamp it'll work for gaming, though?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 5489 Old 12-05-2010, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbf1138 View Post

I consider my Denon 2000s fun...warm, nice solid bass, but sound stage is close and forward. Maybe with the Mixamp it'll work for gaming, though?

i have not heard the d2k, but from everything i've read over the past year or two, without even hearing them i'd say they'd be in the running for my favorite single player / coop can.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #723 of 5489 Old 12-05-2010, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Unless you heard the 990s. You get all the fun the D2000 provides, with no loss to soundtstage and airy quality.

Seriously, they are probably one of the best fun cans that perform well even in multi.

I still REALLY want a pair of D2000s to see how well they work as closed cans. Damn. I get conflicting reports on how much they leak out.
post #724 of 5489 Old 12-05-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin CZ View Post

Unless you heard the 990s. You get all the fun the D2000 provides, with no loss to soundtstage and airy quality.

Seriously, they are probably one of the best fun cans that perform well even in multi.

I still REALLY want a pair of D2000s to see how well they work as closed cans. Damn. I get conflicting reports on how much they leak out.

Hey Shin, check your PMs over at headfi...

As for how much they leak, they leak a lot. I'm always surprised when I hear them referred to as "closed" because of how much sound they leak.
post #725 of 5489 Old 12-05-2010, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I got a few pms but I can't post anything on Headfi until I get home.

Sucks about the leak because the only reasons I would get new headphones would be to keep sound from leaking out, and a gaming headset. Two matters that don't need to be addressed any time soon.

Rbf, ygpm.
post #726 of 5489 Old 12-06-2010, 06:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 17
Astro said they would replace the TX unit for me when they get updated units in. Anyone know if the updated units will have a passive pass through or simply stay on regardless of the RX unit power?

edit nevermind:

Quote:

the new/fixed unit will keep the TX on unless you force it off

post #727 of 5489 Old 12-06-2010, 11:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Question: If I put eneloop rechargeable batteries into my mixamp 5.8, drain them and then plug the mixamp into the 360 via USB, will the mixamp 5.8 charge my eneloops?
post #728 of 5489 Old 12-06-2010, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I think I'm narrowing down closer and closer to a choice. Pretty much commited to getting the Mixamp 5.8. Still driving for as much of a "does-it-all" headphone as possible (though I'm more willing to compromise performance with music at the expense of better performance with movies/games). I think I've got it narrowed down to two main contenders, both from Audio-Technica. The AD700 and the M50. Quite different, from what I understand. Open vs. closed, etc.

Here's my question: which is more compromised -- bass response on the A700s or soundstage/positional audio on the M50s? I tend to think I could live with the relatively mild bass of the A700s if it brings with it MUCH better staging/positioning. But if the M50 doesn't really give up much staging/positioning, it seems like the extra bass would be nice to have...
post #729 of 5489 Old 12-06-2010, 03:01 PM

I went back and reread the first post of this thread a couple of times (though I did go through it earlier.)

Currently I use my TV speakers and a mic on a stick with an earphone (essentially the headset that comes with the 360, voice only.)

Most of my gaming is competitive multiplayer like Call of Duty and Battlefield.

I'd like something that performs well in telling me where the enemy is coming from, and has decent built in mic and voice. It seems that, according to the OP, that the Tritton AX720 would be a good choice for this, considering that I have never heard anything better than crap TV speakers anyhow.

Do you all agree that the AX720 is a good solution for someone new to headphones and will provide good positioning (is that the correct term?) for $130? That's about all I could conceivably spend anyhow.

I decided to take the plunge after realizing that I spend 6 - 12 hours a day gaming in FPSes and that I could really use an upgrade.

Thanks for taking a second to read over this post. I don't know jack$ about any of this audio stuff.
post #730 of 5489 Old 12-06-2010, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Just got these today...gonna let them thaw a bit before I play with them, DHL shoved'em in the mailbox and it's been in the 20s here last few days.

I liked the look rugged look of the control module in the pics, but it is HUGE!!! Easily 4 times the size of the S4i module (probably 5 times the size of the Sennheiser mm70ip module). We'll have to see if it's annoying in real world use.

What do you guys think of doing 50-100 hours burn-in time for in-ears? I did it for the S4is and I'm not sure if it made a diff. I just let them run off a playlist on an old iPod at about 50% volume for several days.
LL
LL

XBOX LIVE ID: JeepR kReapR
PSN ID: JeepR_kReapR

Originally Posted by emartins

Instead of the usual 2 minutes, give her 5 minutes of nothing but that Jeep ecstasy. She will be exhausted and fall right to sleep. You are now free to play.

Thats what I do.

post #731 of 5489 Old 12-06-2010, 03:25 PM

Got the AD700s today, still waiting for the Mixamp. I've tried them with a few sources, both amped and unamped, and the one thing that's bothering me a bit is they can sound a bit crackly/distorted with louder sounds. It's almost like in lieu of bass, when there are a lot of loud noises and explosions, it crackles/distorts instead. Might just be an issue of burn-in, or adjustment to the total lack of bass. I don't think anything's wrong with the headphones...
post #732 of 5489 Old 12-06-2010, 03:46 PM

Got the Tritton 720's over the weekend and absolutely want to play ALL my games again just to enjoy the sound stage!!

Thanks for the "heads uP" lol on these very affordable and great sounding headgear!!
post #733 of 5489 Old 12-06-2010, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor422 View Post
I went back and reread the first post of this thread a couple of times (though I did go through it earlier.)

Currently I use my TV speakers and a mic on a stick with an earphone (essentially the headset that comes with the 360, voice only.)

I'd like something that performs well in telling me where the enemy is coming from, and has decent built in mic and voice. It seems that, according to the OP, that the Tritton AX720 would be a good choice for this, considering that I have never heard anything better than crap TV speakers anyhow.

Do you all agree that the AX720 is a good solution for someone new to headphones and will provide good positioning (is that the correct term?) for $130? That's about all I could conceivably spend anyhow.

I decided to take the plunge after realizing that I spend 6 - 12 hours a day gaming in FPSes and that I could really use an upgrade.

Thanks for taking a second to read over this post. I don't know jack$ about any of this audio stuff.
(IMO) You won't regret getting the 720's...sure there are better and more expensive options just like everything. But they sound great. I'm not a headphone junkie, I'm more of HT enthusiast so I only have these headphones/headsets to compare.
JVC HAX570/ tritton AX 720/ Seenheiser HD 280... to me the 280 sounds more transparent and more "precise" but they are isolated(you can't hear yourself talking using a clip on mic) the JVC's are "good" sounding headphones for the price but the 720's are just what I need in terms of audio quality and voice communication over XBL.

"My English is not very good looking" - Celia Cruz

post #734 of 5489 Old 12-06-2010, 05:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyderulz View Post
Just got these today...gonna let them thaw a bit before I play with them, DHL shoved'em in the mailbox and it's been in the 20s here last few days.

I liked the look rugged look of the control module in the pics, but it is HUGE!!! Easily 4 times the size of the S4i module (probably 5 times the size of the Sennheiser mm70ip module). We'll have to see if it's annoying in real world use.

What do you guys think of doing 50-100 hours burn-in time for in-ears? I did it for the S4is and I'm not sure if it made a diff. I just let them run off a playlist on an old iPod at about 50% volume for several days.
Ugh. Why do I even click on this forum. Nothing but more reasons to spend more money! When did the S5i's come out? I'm extremely satisfied with my S4i's so I doubt if I will upgrade, but always nice to see technology progress.

Xbox Live & PSN gamertag- Daekwan
www.facebook.com/Daekwan
post #735 of 5489 Old 12-06-2010, 06:04 PM

I just picked up the Tritton AX 720 and I have to say the first time I put them on I thought I was listening to my home theatre. Then I started playing my games and the sound stage is good, but I am a bit disappointed by the lack of positional presence when playing COD: Black Ops. So, I popped in COD:MW2, F1 2010 and a few others and I wasn't blown away. I might have to find the AX Pro's or other solutions for a true surround sound solution. I have 30 days to further get my thoughts around keeping these or not. Most definitely a good starter pair of gaming cans for the masses.

LNT-4669F
post #736 of 5489 Old 12-06-2010, 06:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

DO NOT get the AX Pro's. They are much worse than the 720's.

You should be pretty impressed by the 720's. I think you may have a setting or 2 off. If indeed everything is indeed setup correctly, I suggest giving the A40/mixamp a try.

www.facebook.com/Daekwan
post #737 of 5489 Old 12-06-2010, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

Ugh. Why do I even click on this forum. Nothing but more reasons to spend more money! When did the S5i's come out? I'm extremely satisfied with my S4i's so I doubt if I will upgrade, but always nice to see technology progress.

Heh, tell me about it. I was browsing the Apple Store looking for holiday gifts and stumbled across them. No idea when they were introduced. Since I have the S4is I'll be able to compare directly. These are the 'sport' versions that claim to be resistant to sweat and moisture. Don't know if they'll sound any different, but they are all matte black & sexy!!!

EDIT: I checked the specs on the manufacturers site. They do list a different coil design/driver for the S5i. KG 25 moving coil speaker for the S4i and KG 25A 'dual magnet' moving coil for the S5i.

Audible difference? I'll let you know after I log some hours with them...

XBOX LIVE ID: JeepR kReapR
PSN ID: JeepR_kReapR

Originally Posted by emartins

Instead of the usual 2 minutes, give her 5 minutes of nothing but that Jeep ecstasy. She will be exhausted and fall right to sleep. You are now free to play.

Thats what I do.

post #738 of 5489 Old 12-06-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:

DO NOT get the AX Pro's. They are much worse than the 720's.

You should be pretty impressed by the 720's. I think you may have a setting or 2 off. If indeed everything is indeed setup correctly, I suggest giving the A40/mixamp a try.

They are setup correctly on both the console and the pre-amp. I guess I was expecting more in terms of the position of the sound. Overall I am happy with them and will continue to review them.

LNT-4669F
post #739 of 5489 Old 12-06-2010, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I'm tempted to get the Mixamp 5.8 even though I don't need it (already have the Ax720). The wireless would be pretty nice, but the idea of changing batteries...not so nice. At the introductory price I think I could get my money back selling whichever system I ended up not wanting. Hrmmmm.

Read. Think. Post. In that order, preferably

"If the Playstation and Xbox are like the Bloods and the Crips, then the Wii is whatever gang Sha Na Na was in" - Christian Finnegan
post #740 of 5489 Old 12-06-2010, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbexperience View Post

I'm tempted to get the Mixamp 5.8 even though I don't need it (already have the Ax720). The wireless would be pretty nice, but the idea of changing batteries...not so nice. At the introductory price I think I could get my money back selling whichever system I ended up not wanting. Hrmmmm.

the battery idea is scary to me too... luckily i have a plugin near my seating area, so i just plug the usb cable into a wall wart (like ipod charger) and it stays on all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeasuredPath View Post

They are setup correctly on both the console and the pre-amp. I guess I was expecting more in terms of the position of the sound. Overall I am happy with them and will continue to review them.

black ops is a terrible measure for positioning, but you'll also have to let your head have some time to "adjust"

at first it sounds odd having a 360* sound field. and while the AX720 isnt the best, it's definitely the best for the price, and even after burning through 10-15 sets of cans, i was still pretty happy with the ax720 for the price.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #741 of 5489 Old 12-06-2010, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If my first game to test for positional cues was Black Ops, I would have never gotten into headphone gaming. Black Ops is one of the very worst when it comes to overall audio, in pretty much all aspects. It's so bad, I pretty much play with my soundbar instead. There really isn't much of an advantage when using headphones with Black Ops.
post #742 of 5489 Old 12-06-2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbf1138 View Post
Got the AD700s today, still waiting for the Mixamp. I've tried them with a few sources, both amped and unamped, and the one thing that's bothering me a bit is they can sound a bit crackly/distorted with louder sounds. It's almost like in lieu of bass, when there are a lot of loud noises and explosions, it crackles/distorts instead. Might just be an issue of burn-in, or adjustment to the total lack of bass. I don't think anything's wrong with the headphones...
I've only experienced this before playing BC2 (using mixamp with optical) a few times, most often when there's a bunch of loud noises all around me at once (tank explosions, mortar strike, grenades going off, etc). Like I've mentioned, it happens every once in a while but it's very seldom which this occurs.
post #743 of 5489 Old 12-07-2010, 06:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbexperience View Post
With eneloop rechargeable batteries, I don't think the issue is too bad, personally. Just make sure you have 2 sets... one for in the rx and one for in the charger... then you're always covered.
post #744 of 5489 Old 12-07-2010, 06:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper View Post
question: If i put eneloop rechargeable batteries into my mixamp 5.8, drain them and then plug the mixamp into the 360 via usb, will the mixamp 5.8 charge my eneloops?
answer!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitter
@joeschrand if they are rechargeable aaa batteries, yes. The mixamp 5.8 will charge them w/ the included play and charge cable. ^s
post #745 of 5489 Old 12-07-2010, 07:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Just wanted to give an update on Astro shipping (UPS vs FedEx).

1. Astro did ship my order the day after I ordered it. That seems quicker than before. Nice improvement.

2. Fedex shipped the item out Friday 12/03 with an expected delivery of the following Friday 12/10. Or in other words 7 days. Definitely faster than the usual 8+ days with UPS. Im honestly expecting it to get here sooner than 12/10. I'll update this post when it actually arrives from Sacramento.

3. Never really thought about it, but Astro's shipping fees are outrageous. Its a 2.6lb box. I paid $12 to ship this ground from CA to VA. 2 day service was $38 dollars. Overnight was like $77. For a 2.6lb box.. really??

www.facebook.com/Daekwan
post #746 of 5489 Old 12-07-2010, 07:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribwoy2000 View Post

Got the Tritton 720's over the weekend and absolutely want to play ALL my games again just to enjoy the sound stage!!

Thanks for the "heads uP" lol on these very affordable and great sounding headgear!!

That's pretty much the reaction I expect to hear from someone who has never used real DH surround sound headphones for gaming.

Glad to hear they are working great for you. At $99 they are a steal!!

www.facebook.com/Daekwan
post #747 of 5489 Old 12-07-2010, 07:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes. Do it!

www.facebook.com/Daekwan
post #748 of 5489 Old 12-07-2010, 07:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper View Post

answer!!!

I love it when this forum answers real questions like that. With that answer the Eneloops I just purchased for $21 bucks out Costco have already paid for themselves.

I bought the rechareable "Astro" battery pack with my first mixamp which cause $19.99. If only I knew better then.

www.facebook.com/Daekwan
post #749 of 5489 Old 12-07-2010, 07:27 AM

Quote:

Just wanted to give an update on Astro shipping (UPS vs FedEx).

1. Astro did ship my order the day after I ordered it. That seems quicker than before. Nice improvement.

2. Fedex shipped the item out Friday 12/03 with an expected delivery of the following Friday 12/10. Or in other words 7 days. Definitely faster than the usual 8+ days with UPS. Im honestly expecting it to get here sooner than 12/10. I'll update this post when it actually arrives from Sacramento.

3. Never really thought about it, but Astro's shipping fees are outrageous. Its a 2.6lb box. I paid $12 to ship this ground from CA to VA. 2 day service was $38 dollars. Overnight was like $77. For a 2.6lb box.. really??

My Mixamp order also shipped out on Friday, to New Jersey. It said the package had left Sacramento on Saturday, but the Fedex tracking hasn't updated since. I'm also guessing I'll get it before the Friday estimate. What's the current status of your package?
post #750 of 5489 Old 12-07-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:

Just do it, you will enjoy 5.1 sounds. Is the best cash-friendly solution, since any other solution will cost you at least $100 more.

As a warning: if you never used DH before using headsets, at the beginning maybe you won't notice where the sounds come from. At least that happened to me with mixamp+k702. I was too focused on main sounds to put attention to all the surrounding stuff. With time, yo get used to it.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page