The NEW Gaming Headset/Headphone Topic! (REQUEST STICKY PLZ) - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 5453 Old 10-27-2010, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by obazavil View Post

* Due to the USB spec restriction on digital audio format. E7 support up to 48kHz / 16bits USB decoding function.

you can get USB DACs that support 24bit/96Khz now. The NuForce uDac2 comes to mind, but also a few high end ones do too. Like the Peachtree Nova.

I'm not with the Crazies, They just like to stand next to me!

Headphone Audiophiles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 5453 Old 10-27-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SID3W8Z View Post

you can get USB DACs that support 24bit/96Khz now. The NuForce uDac2 comes to mind, but also a few high end ones do too. Like the Peachtree Nova.

really? DAMN... :P

Oh.. well, i will change DAC.. someday... for something that support 24bits

good to know :P
post #63 of 5453 Old 10-27-2010, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

My buffalo ii supports 32bit/384khz

Not USB though.

SXRD/Oppo/Yamaha/Klipsch
PS3/PSN: pj_rage
360/Live: pjrage82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan
Dude please, your list of toys is so long its like Santa is your dad lol.
post #64 of 5453 Old 10-27-2010, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So I've been playing Star Wars: Force Unleashed II, and if there's one thing that can be said about the game, is that it has EXCELLENT audio. The directional cues are used in practically everything happening on screen, and it's an excellent way to demonstrate how well Dolby Headphone works with whatever headphone you're using.

I'll take back what I said about the DT990's positioning. They do BETTER than a 7/10 in directional cues. I can clearly place everything around me, including all those rear audio cues. I'd still put them underneath the AD700 and K701 in this regard, but they get at least an 8/10 for me now.

If there's one thing I've noticed about headphone gaming in general, is that directional cues vary by game. Some games can't get rear cues to sound anywhere near what they should sound like. While MW2 has a rather lackluster sound quality overall, the positional cues are all still there, so it's still a worthwhile game to test headphones out with.
post #65 of 5453 Old 10-27-2010, 12:25 PM

So, Shin CZ, so far, how's your setup for single player, multi player, and voice chat?

It may be possible that E9 drives k702 good enough for using voice chat :P
post #66 of 5453 Old 10-27-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ_Rage View Post

Not USB though.

heh.. that's sick...

did you assembled it by yourself? seems is only a board...

How much it costs?
post #67 of 5453 Old 10-27-2010, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So, Shin CZ, so far, how's your setup for single player, multi player, and voice chat?

It may be possible that E9 drives k702 good enough for using voice chat :P

Single: Mixamp ---> DT990/600
Multi: Mixamp ---> K701 (no voice chat, when I'm competitive)
Multi w/chat: CAL w/velcro'd Labtec LVA-7330 (only when I'm not taking my gaming too seriously and just wanna mess around)

I'm gonna assume the E9 will drive the K701 with voice chat, so I may end up temp velcro-ing the Labtec mic onto the K701 once the E9 arrives and move my CAL for laptop use only, though I know I prefer top use the DT990 over the CAL. If so, my CALs will be only for when I need sound from leaking out, which will hardly ever happen, so I may just sell them for like $40...
post #68 of 5453 Old 10-27-2010, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ_Rage View Post

Not USB though.

any material go that high?

I'm not with the Crazies, They just like to stand next to me!

Headphone Audiophiles
post #69 of 5453 Old 10-27-2010, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

heh.. that's sick...

did you assembled it by yourself? seems is only a board...

How much it costs?

Yes, I assembled it all myself. If you want to do it, it's not hard, but you need to put in a lot of time for the research. The web page for the boards and stuff is here. Total cost can creep up depending on the configuration, options, wiring you use, how fancy you get on the case, what terminals you use, etc, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SID3W8Z View Post

any material go that high?

Nothing that I have, but they do make material that high that I've heard the makers of the unit talking about. More of a future proofing thing than anything else, I guess. The key with that material is how you input it. I know optical can't handle it and I don't think digital coax can either. You have to use I2S. Frankly, since I don't have any material that high, I don't know all the ins and outs, just that the unit itself is capable. Maybe someday! I was surprised myself how much of a difference 96/24 made. Wonder if the jump to much higher is similar, or if it's reach the point of diminishing returns.

SXRD/Oppo/Yamaha/Klipsch
PS3/PSN: pj_rage
360/Live: pjrage82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan
Dude please, your list of toys is so long its like Santa is your dad lol.
post #70 of 5453 Old 10-29-2010, 05:14 PM
EVM

Ok, so Astro just released a new amp, it is wireless, and has 7.1 surround sound? What do you guys think about this one? Can it be chained with the E9 and still maintain the 7.1? Or is the 7.1 just an advertising gimmick?
post #71 of 5453 Old 10-29-2010, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVM View Post

Ok, so Astro just released a new amp, it is wireless, and has 7.1 surround sound? What do you guys think about this one? Can it be chained with the E9 and still maintain the 7.1? Or is the 7.1 just an advertising gimmick?

I'll paste what I said on the other thread:

The original was already the equivalent of 7.1. Think about it. It only uses an optical digital input (which only does 5.1 DD). They realized they can get away with calling it 7.1 because it essentially already sounded like it.

I guarantee this will sound the same if not worse than the old Mixamp. Who knows what the bass expander will do, but otherwise I will call it first: Nothing better than the old Mixamp except it being wireless, and it having a bass altering option.

How is this any different than what all the wireless headsets like the Turtle Beaches (which does "7.1") do? NOTHING, with the exception of being able to use it with any headphone... and you all already know how 'great' those wireless headsets sound.... <_<<br />
Let's not forget our harder to drive headphones like the K701/K702 and 600ohm Beyers. You really think a battery powered device will do them any good? Adding an amp after the wireless Mixamp is gonna make it being wireless useless.

I can see this as a simple solution to other gamers who won't use anything but Astro headsets, but to us who want a little more quality, won't particularly find it being useful whatsoever.
post #72 of 5453 Old 10-29-2010, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
well, to be honest, i dont mind wires behind my console, and i dont mind wires at my seating area... but the wire between the two is the problem....

this eliminates that... and if the 5.8ghz can do it with no hiss or interference, i'll back the product.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #73 of 5453 Old 10-29-2010, 08:41 PM

Location: New York, New York (say it twice, we're kinda slow)
Wow that sucks. My MixAmp just showed up in the mail today!

Xbox Live: SubPrime Debt

post #74 of 5453 Old 10-29-2010, 08:42 PM

Location: New York, New York (say it twice, we're kinda slow)
Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd View Post

well, to be honest, i dont mind wires behind my console, and i dont mind wires at my seating area... but the wire between the two is the problem....

this eliminates that... and if the 5.8ghz can do it with no hiss or interference, i'll back the product.

I picked up a 50' TOSLINK from AVRite for crazy cheap and just run it with the wires to my surround speakers so everything is tucked away. Just another option for you.

Xbox Live: SubPrime Debt

post #75 of 5453 Old 10-29-2010, 08:49 PM

Ok, im new to these gaming headsets and i need help choosing between the dx11 from turtle beach and the tritton ax720. Like my first time buying one of these so i dont wana spend so mutch like on astros. I used the search bar and found out the page where this was discussed and from what i read i was sold with the trittons. But, then i did my own research and i found out that the tritton needs a power souce to work. And, the dssi dosn't. Also, with he dssi i can connect my mp3 player and im not sure if u can connect your mp3 player to the ax720 while u play or at all. Is there any way i would be able to use my mp3 player with the ax720? And, whats so bad about turtle beach is the x11 just not a good headset or what is it? Or should i just save more money to buy the dpx21 or the tritton ax pro instead of the other two?

Also, my friend might sell me his astro mixing amp to buy the new wireless one, is there a decent headset i can buy that is not so expensive and would i could use with the mixing amp? I saw the hpa2 but is that the only one or just a good one for that price? ohh btw i only have a xbox and i mostly play online multiplayer.
post #76 of 5453 Old 10-29-2010, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

dx11 vs. ax720 = ax720

actually, i'd rank HPA2 + mixamp right there with the ax720 as well.... i wouldnt say either one is marginally better than the other, and to go with whichever route is cheaper. (hpa2+mixamp vs ax720 package)

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
post #77 of 5453 Old 10-29-2010, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

There's more versatility with the Mixamp over the DSS and AX720. If he's selling the Mixamp for a good price, I'd get that with perhaps the HPA2 if you desperately need a mic'd headset. The AX720 will be the one to get if you don't get his mixamp, but it sounds like you really wanna add mp3 functionality...

In any case, the DSS only does voice chat with Turtle Beach products only...
post #78 of 5453 Old 10-29-2010, 11:29 PM

Yea ty if i cant get the mixamp im going to get the ax 720. I have two questions. what if i get one of these cables http://images.bizrate.com/resize?sq=500&uid=1650350684
and plug it into ax 720 box where u can connect the extra headset, will that allow me to conect my mp3 player? and i got this from the tritton website but i dont understand what they mean " A breakaway cable design will allow you to connect optional cables to your MP3 player or even an iPhone®. Designed for the professional user but priced for every user, improve your game with the AX 720."
post #79 of 5453 Old 10-30-2010, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sounds to me like it's meant for what you want it for. If MP3 playback is important, I'd probably go for that.

How much is your friend selling the Mixamp for? If it's like $75, GO FOR IT!
post #80 of 5453 Old 10-30-2010, 11:59 AM

I decided to just buy the Astro wireless mix amp, instead of the whole set, since I started using the ad700 the Astro's headphones feel small and uncomfortable to me. Plus my son started getting on to gaming and he keeps borrowing my mix amp, I think this will be a good excuse for the purchase. I just hope they work great and I don't hear any hiss or sound distortion.
post #81 of 5453 Old 10-30-2010, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost-182 View Post

Yea ty if i cant get the mixamp im going to get the ax 720. I have two questions. what if i get one of these cables http://images.bizrate.com/resize?sq=500&uid=1650350684
and plug it into ax 720 box where u can connect the extra headset, will that allow me to conect my mp3 player? and i got this from the tritton website but i dont understand what they mean " A breakaway cable design will allow you to connect optional cables to your MP3 player or even an iPhone®. Designed for the professional user but priced for every user, improve your game with the AX 720."

no.... the front headset connector on the ax720 is for a headset, i cant possibly see how you'll turn that into an input.

i got the mixamp because i wanted mp3 input... you know how many times i've used it? zero.

if its important to you, obviously you'll want to get the mixamp.

post #82 of 5453 Old 10-30-2010, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd View Post

Totally agree with this...I'm just looking to get decoupled from the console. If it performs as well as the current mixamp it will be a good investment.

I wasn't sure at first but then I saw the pic of the kid playing rock band or guitar hero with the RX clipped to his belt. If it has a built-in belt clip that will be awesome! I can wear it and keep talking to my friends as I'm grabbing some food, drink, or those necessary bio breaks during marathon sessions.

Yeah...I pre-ordered yesterday.

XBOX LIVE ID: JeepR kReapR
PSN ID: JeepR_kReapR

Originally Posted by emartins

Instead of the usual 2 minutes, give her 5 minutes of nothing but that Jeep ecstasy. She will be exhausted and fall right to sleep. You are now free to play.

Thats what I do.

post #83 of 5453 Old 10-30-2010, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The Fiio E9 is officially on sale! $130 through micca-store! I got it through from them through their Amazon page.

As always it's gonna be $200 if you order the E7 and E9 combo through their main store...

http://www.miccastore.com/fiio-fiio-...lack-p-42.html

Sadly, I bought my E7 from one of Fiio's Chinese vendors, so I can't get the combo price, though I did pay $80 for my Fiio, so it's like $210 I paid in total...
post #84 of 5453 Old 10-30-2010, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

Just got mine in the mail today...first impressions are pretty good. Bass is a little lacking considering I'm coming from a pair of X41's which have the bass boost function. One thing I will say about these is that they are not built for big heads and that just might be a deal breaker for me...which is sad to say cause I really do like these things. Besides got em for $179 shipped.

"OmfgItzThaMack" on XBL, Steam, & Origin...

facebook.com/craiglevere
post #85 of 5453 Old 10-30-2010, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmfgItzThaMack View Post

Just got mine in the mail today...first impressions are pretty good. Bass is a little lacking considering I'm coming from a pair of X41's which have the bass boost function. One thing I will say about these is that they are not built for big heads and that just might be a deal breaker for me...which is sad to say cause I really do like these things. Besides got em for $179 shipped.

How are you running them? I have the X41's and was wondering what a good set of headphones would sound like running through the wired connection on the X41 receiver.

Disclaimer:
The words above are based on loose facts mixed with my opinion, the latter of which is subject to change.

Gamertag Morkaleb
PSN Archathema
post #86 of 5453 Old 10-30-2010, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That's a damn good price for the PC360, which happens to be around the price of a 595...

When you say it's made for big heads, what's your issue with them?
post #87 of 5453 Old 10-30-2010, 08:52 PM

Waiting for your e9 review with k701/2 and dt990 shin...

Going to order them soon, just need to talk to a friend that is coming to Mexico.
post #88 of 5453 Old 10-30-2010, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

They should be here by Wed-Fri.

Guys, how good is the PS3 as a source for music? I still have my RCA cables laying about as well as an RCA female to 3.5mm male cable. I'd hook up the E9 to it if it's good. I know the PS3 has a crapton of audio options...
post #89 of 5453 Old 10-30-2010, 09:27 PM

Dunno . I always use optical for home theater or mixamp
post #90 of 5453 Old 10-30-2010, 09:48 PM

What do you guys think of the new earforce pdx21 combo from turtle beach? Is it worth the 150 or can compete with tritton ax720?
or turtle beach just sucks just give up making headsets?
http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/...rce-dpx21.aspx
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page