The NEW Gaming Headset/Headphone Topic! (REQUEST STICKY PLZ) - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 5453 Old 01-11-2011, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TONY1 View Post

The AX 720 is wired...right ?

Where is the best place to purchase a Mixamp 5.8 ? I'm like the other fellow....non existent on Amazon. I see you can order direct from Astro but surely there are cheaper ways.
I have not read the first (long) thread. Brand new Xbox owner and an old guy too....so I know nothing about all this !!
Thanks !

Yes the AX720's are wired.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 5453 Old 01-11-2011, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
New "House of Marley" cans announced @ CES, $69-$299. Some of the high end models look very nice, but @ that price I'll wait for some reviews first... Here is one example, more links on the left side of the page
http://www.thehouseofmarley.com/good...nes-stir-it-up
post #1083 of 5453 Old 01-11-2011, 08:58 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post

1TONY1
I just received my Mixamp 5.8 in the mail yesterday.
You can really only get in from Astro, I think Dell.com sells it too
but its the same price. I did a ton of research, trust me.

Thanks for your time searching....I'll just order direct if I go this way.
Tony
post #1084 of 5453 Old 01-11-2011, 03:32 PM
ATB

Looks like there are some new wireless headsets for us to try out following CES:
Razer Chimaera
Turtle Beach PX5
Creative Sound Blaster Tactic 3D Omega

I wonder if any of them are worth trying out. Anyone want to do a roundup review for us?

XBL Wishbone AB
post #1085 of 5453 Old 01-11-2011, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Mixamp 5.8 arrived today. Even with the good reviews I was still a bit worried about the wireless. Happy to report no issues. No dropouts, sound quality is excellent. It's sitting next to a wired 360 and ps3, and about 18 inches from my receiver. N router is about 3 feet away. I doubt I could discern between wired in a blind test. Sounds pretty kickass with my AD700's.

Don't hear any real differences from the DSS and AD700's at this point, but I wasn't expecting to. Wireless+voice support was my reason for upgrading. Had too much hiss when I paired the DSS and x11's. I'll probably banish that to the downstairs xbox.

xbox live/PSN: Chad473
post #1086 of 5453 Old 01-11-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATB View Post

Looks like there are some new wireless headsets for us to try out following CES:
Razer Chimaera
Turtle Beach PX5
Creative Sound Blaster Tactic 3D Omega

I wonder if any of them are worth trying out. Anyone want to do a roundup review for us?

Steel series has also anounced a xbox 360 wireless headset to be released in the 2nd quarter of 2011. I read some place that is was going to sell for 150$.
http://steelseries.com/us/products/a...s-spectrum-7xb
post #1087 of 5453 Old 01-11-2011, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost-182 View Post

Steel series has also anounced a xbox 360 wireless headset to be released in the 2nd quarter of 2011. I read some place that is was going to sell for 150$.
http://steelseries.com/us/products/a...s-spectrum-7xb

It looks promising. Hopefully someone will take one for the team and test it out for us!

Read. Think. Post. In that order, preferably

"If the Playstation and Xbox are like the Bloods and the Crips, then the Wii is whatever gang Sha Na Na was in" - Christian Finnegan
post #1088 of 5453 Old 01-12-2011, 06:39 AM

Have a quick question, not sure if I can ask on here, but what's a good price for a Fiio E9-DT990 600ohm combo in perfect condition and less than 2 months old? Have to sell mine unfortunately.
post #1089 of 5453 Old 01-12-2011, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
just e9 or e7+e9?

if it's just the e9, you could expect $300 minimum, to maybe $340-$350 max, assuming they're in like new condition.

if you have the e7 as well, you could add $50-$60 to the selling price.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #1090 of 5453 Old 01-12-2011, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I tried out my new A30 wireless system last night with some NFS Hop Pursuit and
Battlefield 2 and I must say Im very impressed. This is my first surround
headset and I was worried if I would like it. I have a regular surround system
but sometime I move my systems over to my computer monitor so I wanted an
audio solution for that. They sound great, really adds to the immersiveness.
Dont be afraid to go with Astro!!!
post #1091 of 5453 Old 01-12-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes View Post

Lg55:

thanks for the update. I see you are not quite there yet, but watching you figure all this out is very helpful for me. You are asking basically asking every question I would. Good luck and hopefully you get to audio nirvana soon!

Managed to tinker for a couple hours today. It's proving to be an interesting problem. Looking like a bit of a catch-22 from my end while at the same time somewhat of a solution.

1. Original idea was to somehow amplify the AX720 using the existing AVR. The catch here is the AX720 only as an optical and headphone out. My AVR only has optical out along with the normal assorted inputs. Therefore the only way so far is to use the AX720 as the source, pipe it into the AVR and out its headphone jack to the headphones. The best (and only) idea is via RCA stereo Y jack into the AX720 volume controller, then RCA inputs L and R, let the AVR amp everything and pipe it out into the headphones and workable volumes.

I haven't done this yet. I need to get the Y jack first. My main concern is that the AVR headphone circuit will stop processing the DOLBY decoding from the AX720 and send the signal out to the headphone's as simple stereo. My AVR does have "SOURCE" and BY-PASS" settings which I am not familiar with and from quick reading appears to me to be for things like DVD players / other but direct to the speakers. This is the big question I think and can only be tested by actually doing it. I will get the jack and give it a go.

It's a catch-22 because there is no Optical out on my AVR, this would (may ) solve the problem and because the AX720 only has Optical in and nothing out (besides via the headphone/volume controller). I now see where "proper" mixmaster's like the ASTRO and now some of these new ones recently posted come into play. They have Optical out as well as in, component L and R in and out (one or the other), where ideally the solution would be if I had either on mine, use the AVR as the "hub", XBOX into the AVR, Cable into the AVR, and then Optical out into the AX720 and into the headphones. If the AX720 had any other input, I think something could also be done. Just reading the ASTRO they advise to use the REC out on the AVR etc.

So in this case I am limited by the out of my AVR and the in of the AX720. With the remaining posibility of the Y jack via both the headphones. Still to be test. Which leads me to the somehwhat of a solution. My TV.

2. My TV is now the "hub". Very new model, and it does have an Optical out. Now the trick is of course, always deal with the SOURCE directly when possible.

a) Xbox goes into the TV via component
b) Cable goes into TV via component

Comes out of the TV via its Optical into the AX720 and into my new headphones.

Somewhat tricky though. At first the sound was as before, very low. What I found is my actual HD DD cable box has internal settings: master volume and audio type (wide normal narrow).

On the box itself is a volume control, I cranked that. An improvement of maybe 20%. Flicking through the audio type setting, narrow boosted it to a total of 50% increase!

So indeed somewhat of a success. Just acceptable to watch a HD 5.1 movie with the headphones. Everything maxed out it's workable (for now).

I tried it with the AX720 headphones, and the volume is the same as with my 990's so it's not the Ohms of the phone.

XBOX (game) is fine, as it was directly into the AX720 before.
Music is still not. Not sure what the problem there is, using via Windows Media Center on a PC via ethernet.

I am wondering if there is a Master Volume for that somewhere as well. Again not clued up on it at all.

No music CD's on hand to test if directly in the Xbox there is a difference, and just tried my USB stick into the XBOX, if course it doesn't fit in the back. I'll pick up a cheap music CD tomorrow along with the Y jack to try that.

If the music on the game is loud is it the recording of the music files on the PC via the Media center? Not convinced about that because a full blown 9gig 1080p movie DVD iso is equally as soft sounding (via the media center).

Issues:

I can see lots of minor issues either routing.

If the sound is clean and nice via the Y jack into the AVR and out to the headphones, I am going to need a couple optical splitters:

XBOX---splitter to AX720 and to AVR (when I want to through the surround of the AVR)
Cable---splitter to AX720 and to AVR (when I want to listen to movies with the headphones)

Here my understand is the 8$ optical splitter is one way. So I would need an input combiner in the back of the AX720 (optical from cable and xbox going in). However reading suggests it can work both ways provided you use or have one thing on at a time, otherwise you then need a proper (and more expensive actual switch).

A lot of jumping around switching things around or on and off.

As of now with the TV as the "hub" its just a matter of turning down the volume of the AX720 or switching it off when listening via the AVR. Hardly an isse there.

There's one other that I forget a time of writing.

Clearly the very best solution is to have an AVR with Dolby Headphone technology built in. Pity I wasn't as interested in all of this earlier as mine is only 6 months old and could have got it. Otherwise lots if wires and 200 dollar mix amps and 200 dollar headphones would be the requirement or so far for nothing extra if your AVR has optical out or your TV does, as 1 above (this with the AX720 amp).

I think even with all the planning in the world and researching and discussing its still impossible to get it right the very first time. You just got to bite the bullet and start somewhere.

If I could just tweak the volume somewhere somehow, I can live with it as setup, I need to check other cable service boxes. What is the actual specification / no. to look at to see if something has sufficient audio output? Is the XBOX actually amplified? There's obviously something inside the cable box since it has its own volume and own sound settings. There must be something inside the XBOX if you can switch sound types and the volume of the games so far as better than sound coming out of the cable box.

What are those numbers and where can they be found?
post #1092 of 5453 Old 01-13-2011, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 141
lg55: I know under the music tab for the 360 their is a volume control. I have no idea if this is a universal volume control though.

You may also want to check to see if your HDTV is putting 5.1 out of its optical connection. Most HDTVs don't. I have no idea at all how audible a difference would be. Maybe someone can chime in what Dolby HP does if it only gets a stereo signal and if it sounds similar or much worse, compared to a 5.1 signal.

Something else to think about. Why not sell your current AVR and buy a new AVR with Dolby HP? I would think it would be worth it just to get rid of the tangle of wires it sounds like you have. You could also throw an amp onto the out if needed. The downside is I can only find Marantz AVRs with DHP. The cheapest is the SR5005 which is $800 I guess you could also sell your 720s. to help cover the cost. It sucks because you really want to use your headphones a lot and you aren't finding it easy to incorporate HPs to your needs.

Xbox Live: TheRealMaxPower --- PSN: TheRealMaxPower

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

Theater- Benq W1070    Elite 120" projection...

post #1093 of 5453 Old 01-13-2011, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Or you could use your 720s for gaming and the AVR and DHP for your other needs with your better HPs. I don't know if their is a way to have the mic plugged in and still get the other players voices through the speakers (or headphones in this case). Then you wouldn't need the 720 mix amp at all and could sell the whole thing. I am sure there are others who can help you get the best solution.

Xbox Live: TheRealMaxPower --- PSN: TheRealMaxPower

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

Theater- Benq W1070    Elite 120" projection...

post #1094 of 5453 Old 01-13-2011, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lg55 View Post

Managed to tinker for a couple hours today. It's proving to be an interesting problem. Looking like a bit of a catch-22 from my end while at the same time somewhat of a solution.

1. Original idea was to somehow amplify the AX720 using the existing AVR. The catch here is the AX720 only as an optical and headphone out. My AVR only has optical out along with the normal assorted inputs. Therefore the only way so far is to use the AX720 as the source, pipe it into the AVR and out its headphone jack to the headphones. The best (and only) idea is via RCA stereo Y jack into the AX720 volume controller, then RCA inputs L and R, let the AVR amp everything and pipe it out into the headphones and workable volumes

I'm confused by everything past this point. Why aren't you running optical out from the receiver to the optical in of the AX720, then a 3.5mm -> stereo RCA from the AX720 to an input on your receiver, and then using the headphone out of the receiver to power your headphones? Turn the volume knob on the AX720 dongle to the maximum and use the receiver to control source and volume.

Also, to your other problem, you want the receiver to do nothing to the signal. Dolby Headphone is just a simple stereo signal. The AX720 does all of the processing. The receiver should just be amplifying. So you would want pure or direct or whatever your AVR calls the unmolested audio mode.

*EDIT*
I think my confusion stems from maybe a typo. In the bit I quoted you said your receiver only has optical out, and then later you say it doesn't have optical out. If the bit I quoted above should say it only has optical in, I understand your problem. In that case, I think the only thing you can do is use the receiver in the exact same way others here have used headphone amps. It's exactly the same as I said above, but you run the optical into the AX720 instead of the receiver. In that case, you have the problem you spelled out of hooking up multiple sources, for which there isn't a great solution IMHO, if you're not wanting to buy a new receiver.
post #1095 of 5453 Old 01-13-2011, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
^^ Then you would not have the "Live" chat if you did it that way. Here's how I have mine Ax720's set-up.
Before I got he headphones this is how I my have it set up - xbox360 hdmi out -> receiver hdmi out -> tv.
- With the AX720's headphones xbox360 optical out to optical in-AX mixamp -> out to headphones. Now, also have a dual 3.5 to one 6.3 adapter if I wanted to listen from my receiver. Not just xbox material but any audio source that comes into the receiver. i.e PS3, Dvd, Turner, and Directv. This converts my headphones to regular stereo headphones but then I could use the mix amp on my receiver. But this also limits the ability to chat on live if I play xbox.
post #1096 of 5453 Old 01-13-2011, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hksvr4 View Post

^^ Then you would not have the "Live" chat if you did it that way. Here's how I have mine Ax720's set-up.
Before I got he headphones this is how I my have it set up - xbox360 hdmi out -> receiver hdmi out -> tv.
- With the AX720's headphones xbox360 optical out to optical in-AX mixamp -> out to headphones. Now, also have a dual 3.5 to one 6.3 adapter if I wanted to listen from my receiver. Not just xbox material but any audio source that comes into the receiver. i.e PS3, Dvd, Turner, and Directv. This converts my headphones to regular stereo headphones but then I could use the mix amp on my receiver. But this also limits the ability to chat on live if I play xbox.

You could just run a cable to the microphone connector on the AX720 dongle for chat and a cable for the controller. It wouldn't be convenient because of all the longs cables, and the mute switch & volume knob would be far away from you, but if you had a headset like the PC360 which has its own mute & volume knob it might work out alright.

Really, I think the best solution is a small headphone amp between the AX720 & headphones if someone really needed more power. I know it means spending extra money, but it's either that or a messy setup. I guess it would also be really nice if the USB connection worked with the 360. I've thought a few times how I'd like that when my 2.5mm jack on the controller seems to be way too lose.
post #1097 of 5453 Old 01-13-2011, 02:40 PM

Thanks guys!

mbyrnes I'm all out for now. New TV, AVR and Speakers in the last 6 months, plus the ax720 and now the new headphones. I can't go any further for now.

Yes the tv does have Dolby Digital built in, its brand new, internet ready wifi, youtube built in deals. Everything works as I would want just not loud enough. It's acceptable right now, maybe I am just greedy for more volume blasting the games which are the loudest and suddenly tv sounds soft. 5.1 HD movie is stunningly clear, crisper than the game, to the point you say dude put some saliva in your mouth, you're talking with a dry mouth - this to the actor in the movie! that's how clear it is. I do think that it may be my testing i.e. xbox game blasting, then testing movie and while definitely not as loud sounds very soft compared at the time of testing. As such, I'll sit out the excitement of the moment and try when really needing to watch a movie etc. I'm all too familiar with these inevitably fleeting moments when it comes to gadgets and new electronics. So much so, I'm holding off on the Y jack via headphone routing for now, will save it in case once everything settles, it is truly bothersome.

ferrisg yes, it is only opitcal in for the AVR which is the crux of the matter, though the AVR while very good is sold on it's simplicity. Here I point fingers at Tritton though they're first out of the block, but today based on the new items from the show as above in this thread, other makers have incorporated more useful inputs and outputs. My understanding is Dolby Headphone is these little standalone mixamp decoders, built right into the AVR. They are all using Dolby Headphone technology, which is what is built into higher end AVR's. The mic's not an issue for me, I don't use one. I think it is still early days. All AVR's should include it, not just high end and marketed as something special when 140 dollar AX720's little box has it. Is the box and license 100 dollars and the head set 40 dollars or the headset 100 dollars and the box 40. Less 50% retail markup etc etc. 70 dollars, maybe split in half again. I think there is no market out there other than a handful of gamers and gadget people with wireless headphones for watching tv who wouldn't know the difference between 5.1 and 1. Though interestingly Dolby Heaphone has been around 10 years or so, today they're touting it pretty strongly and their main users are makers of gaming headsets. I'm guessing AVR makers know their clients and simply don't want to license it and include it in all AVR's and rather promote it as something special in only the higher end ones.

All marketing if you ask me.

I've got three possiblities, one works all around just not loud(ly), one pending (headphone out component in headphone out), and worst case scenario buy an amp, or a 16 OM IEM or other head set of sorts.

All is not lost.

I'm just enumerating everything here for prosperity's sake should somone come a hunting (as I did earlier on), looking for all sorts of info and other people's experiences and setups so as to make find a nugget or two hidden in there when they're trying to do same or similar.
post #1098 of 5453 Old 01-13-2011, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Honestly, this shouldn't be that complicated. I use the Ax720 amp with a Little Dot 1+ amp and it works fine. Connecting the Ax720 amp to the receiver is really the same principle. Just get the 3.5mm to dual RCA Y-adapter and run it from the Ax720 dongle to an input on the receiver. You'll still be able to use chat if you ever want it: just connect a 3.5mm to 2.5mm cable from the other 3.5mm output on the Ax720 dongle to the controller. If you're never going to use chat, then you won't need that cable.

Read. Think. Post. In that order, preferably

"If the Playstation and Xbox are like the Bloods and the Crips, then the Wii is whatever gang Sha Na Na was in" - Christian Finnegan
post #1099 of 5453 Old 01-13-2011, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

One more thing to note, once dolby headphone has been added to the signal, it can't be taken away. Whatever is added afterwards may alter soundstage and signature, but you will still be getting virtual surround.
post #1100 of 5453 Old 01-14-2011, 09:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 333
Anybody who has read thru this entire thread, the original entire thread or even just a few pages from either thread is well aware that we all pretty much recommend different headphones/headsets. Besides the AX720 & A40/mixamp combo's theres not much else that gets agreed upon. One of the reasons this happens is because of we all spend differently, some people just want enough to get the job done.. others want the absolute best and never seem to stop searching for it.

Another reason, perhaps even bigger.. is that we all hear very differently.

While I've always known this to be true, I've never known the exact reason for it until now. While looking for firearm suppressors for my 'other hobby' I ran across this excellent piece of information.. and thought it would be a good idea to share in the headphone thread on AVS (be sure to replace the word suppressor with headphone/speaker in your thoughts while reading):

Most people are born with full hearing across all frequency levels, and from Day One, we begin losing it based on our exposure to unsafe sound levels. Hearing loss is cumulative and dependent entirely on our life experiences. Unless they have lived in a bubble, no adult has 100% hearing across all frequency levels. Someone who has worked in a steel mill will have a different frequency loss than someone who worked at rock concerts, vs. someone who worked around jet engines, vs. someone whose job included cutting down trees with a chain saw....

When you have hearing loss from an overload in a particular frequency range, you lose the ability to hear sounds in that frequency range. Your hearing may be perfect on other frequency ranges, but you simply cannot perceive sounds in the range you've lost.

Now apply this as an adult listening to firearms suppressors, each of which has a different tonal range. Suppressors from different manufacturers may have identical decibel ratings (which are measured across the entire range of human hearing) but, because each has a different "tone," the suppressor which reduces sound levels in the frequency ranges in which the observer still has complete hearing will be perceived as the most quiet.

And it is also worth bearing in mind a coupla other thoughts:

--Hearing damage threshholds are cumulative. A sound level may be safe for a fraction of a second, but that same level repeated over a 24-hour period can cause damage.

--Just because you cannot hear a sound does not mean it's not continuing to damage your hearing. If you "burn out" your hearing from prolonged exposure at a particular frequency, you will no longer hear that sound -- but comtinued exposure will continue to damage your eardrums and rob you of hearing ability in other frequencies..

Xbox Live & PSN gamertag- Daekwan
www.facebook.com/Daekwan
post #1101 of 5453 Old 01-14-2011, 11:32 AM
ATB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

Anybody who has read thru this entire thread, the original entire thread or even just a few pages from either thread is well aware that we all pretty much recommend different headphones/headsets. Besides the AX720 & A40/mixamp combo's theres not much else that gets agreed upon. One of the reasons this happens is because of we all spend differently, some people just want enough to get the job done.. others want the absolute best and never seem to stop searching for it.

Another reason, perhaps even bigger.. is that we all hear very differently.

While I've always known this to be true, I've never known the exact reason for it until now. While looking for firearm suppressors for my 'other hobby' I ran across this excellent piece of information.. and thought it would be a good idea to share in the headphone thread on AVS (be sure to replace the word suppressor with headphone/speaker in your thoughts while reading):

Most people are born with full hearing across all frequency levels, and from Day One, we begin losing it based on our exposure to unsafe sound levels. Hearing loss is cumulative and dependent entirely on our life experiences. Unless they have lived in a bubble, no adult has 100% hearing across all frequency levels. Someone who has worked in a steel mill will have a different frequency loss than someone who worked at rock concerts, vs. someone who worked around jet engines, vs. someone whose job included cutting down trees with a chain saw....

When you have hearing loss from an overload in a particular frequency range, you lose the ability to hear sounds in that frequency range. Your hearing may be perfect on other frequency ranges, but you simply cannot perceive sounds in the range you've lost.

Now apply this as an adult listening to firearms suppressors, each of which has a different tonal range. Suppressors from different manufacturers may have identical decibel ratings (which are measured across the entire range of human hearing) but, because each has a different "tone," the suppressor which reduces sound levels in the frequency ranges in which the observer still has complete hearing will be perceived as the most quiet.

And it is also worth bearing in mind a coupla other thoughts:

--Hearing damage threshholds are cumulative. A sound level may be safe for a fraction of a second, but that same level repeated over a 24-hour period can cause damage.

--Just because you cannot hear a sound does not mean it's not continuing to damage your hearing. If you "burn out" your hearing from prolonged exposure at a particular frequency, you will no longer hear that sound -- but comtinued exposure will continue to damage your eardrums and rob you of hearing ability in other frequencies..

Interesting points. Also note even before considering your eardrums, we hear differently due to differences in the size and shape of our heads and ears. The sound enters our eardrums EQed differently, and with different time delays between when a sound hits the right and left ears.

Bottom line, if one has the same size / shape head and ears as a KEMAR dummy, the Dolby Headphone DSP (used in AX720, Astro Mixamp, etc) is probably going to sound pretty convincing. The more you vary from that standard, the less convincing DH will sound.

XBL Wishbone AB
post #1102 of 5453 Old 01-15-2011, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkeleb View Post

Unfortunately it looks like you need to send yours back. I had mine plugged into my Linux machine and using Sound Recorder the meter was picking it up very well. The meter maxed out easily when I spoke loud. It played back at a good volume also. Let us know how the exchange goes.

Update on my PC360 mic problem. Sorted . New pair work perfectly fine. I would say that the actual mixamp volume also does not have to be as high as the old set so there was generally something not right with them.

Credit to Amazon UK (and Royal Mail) a new pair arrived less than 24 hours after reporting it. First time I've had to do this with Amazon and am impressed.
post #1103 of 5453 Old 01-15-2011, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by filbert View Post

Update on my PC360 mic problem. Sorted . New pair work perfectly fine. I would say that the actual mixamp volume also does not have to be as high as the old set so there was generally something not right with them.

Credit to Amazon UK (and Royal Mail) a new pair arrived less than 24 hours after reporting it. First time I've had to do this with Amazon and am impressed.

Glad to hear you got it straightened out.

Disclaimer:
The words above are based on loose facts mixed with my opinion, the latter of which is subject to change.

Gamertag Morkaleb
PSN Archathema
post #1104 of 5453 Old 01-15-2011, 06:11 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Bi Aural sound for gaming is to sound what 3D gaming is to video.. Just imagine instead of hearing the barber shop on youtube.. It was replaced with bullets & explosions from COD. I guarantee you, people would dump their 5.1 systems in a heart beat.. I'd go as far as to say some would be afraid to play a game with sound so realistic that it confuses your brain from what is real & what is not.

For serious gamers I'd recommend gamerzone for around 1,700.. It's a level above Dolby & includes head tracking..

The #1 spot for gaming headphones/headsets/Mic mods/DH 5.1/links & more.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...494101?sk=info
post #1105 of 5453 Old 01-15-2011, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
so there was a sale on some behind-the-head earmuffs, and they're always nice to have around, so i got a set of 3.

they came in today, and as soon as i saw they had a little pouch on them, i thought HMMMMMMMMMMMMM..... the KSC-75 would fit in there nicely.

perfect! they sound great, add some isolation, tame the highs just a hair, and keep your ears warm outside!

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #1106 of 5453 Old 01-16-2011, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I play a lot of Xbox Live now (currently all Halo Reach), and I'm considering getting a headset, but I have mixed feelings about it. I play for 12-15 hours a day, so I don't know if I could stand headphones like this. The microsoft headset doesn't bother me though. It just doesn't pick up my voice half the time, which annoys me. I've also heard that headphones can be bad for your hearing over time. I'm also curious if any of these headsets can prevent sound spikes. You know, like when other idiots in the game scream into their goddamn mic. That would be a really useful feature to protect our hearing.

p.s. What's the difference between the Sennheiser 350 and 360? Aside from the 360 being the new model.
post #1107 of 5453 Old 01-16-2011, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The 350 is closed, the 360 is open. Closed headphones tend to be inferior in sound quality, but they isolate you from outside noise better, and keep noise from leaking out for the most part.

For gaming, open headsets tend to yield better spatial imaging and soundstage. It will be easier to identify sounds around you.

I am speaking for those of us who use Dolby Headphone though.

I dunno how how you plan on hooking up the headphones to your system, but plugging them into a TV's headphone jack is noooo good. If you have a receiver, that would be the most logical first step if all you want is a headphone and that's it.

However, since you plan on using a mic, I highly suggest you start with the Tritton AX 720. Headset, virtual surround amp, and everything you need to get you started into the bottomless pit of headphonaphilia. All for $130. My roomie got it, and I wish I had took this as my first step instead of the Mixamp, as it cost almost half what I paid for my A40/Mixamp combo.

Not that saving money even matters anymore, as I have spent waaaaay too much already on this hobby.
post #1108 of 5453 Old 01-16-2011, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin CZ View Post

The 350 is closed, the 360 is open. Closed headphones tend to be inferior in sound quality, but they isolate you from outside noise better, and keep noise from leaking out for the most part.

For gaming, open headsets tend to yield better spatial imaging and soundstage. It will be easier to identify sounds around you.

I am speaking for those of us who use Dolby Headphone though.

I dunno how how you plan on hooking up the headphones to your system, but plugging them into a TV's headphone jack is noooo good. If you have a receiver, that would be the most logical first step if all you want is a headphone and that's it.

However, since you plan on using a mic, I highly suggest you start with the Tritton AX 720. Headset, virtual surround amp, and everything you need to get you started into the bottomless pit of headphonaphilia. All for $130. My roomie got it, and I wish I had took this as my first step instead of the Mixamp, as it cost almost half what I paid for my A40/Mixamp combo.

Not that saving money even matters anymore, as I have spent waaaaay too much already on this hobby.

I have a Denon 2310CI. That was my plan. I like the look of the Sennheiser ones though. lol
post #1109 of 5453 Old 01-16-2011, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The PC360 seems to be gaining a lot of popularity on here. I really wish I'd have went with those instead of the HD598. Not that the HD598 are bad, (they're actually REALLY damn good for gaming, but lack the mic) but I bought them based off looks more than anything (and I find the soft pleather bumps on the headband make it UGLY when worn). The functionality of the PC360 would have suited me better.... oh well.

Anybody wanna trade my HD598 for the PC360... PM me. Pretty sure the HD598 will sound better than the PC360, but I AM only using them for gaming, and the attached mic on the PC360 is looking more ideal for me nowadays. <_<<br />
I put them up for sale/trade on Head-fi...

I don't mind keeping them as they are indeed freaking great for gaming, but I'll see if anyone bites.
post #1110 of 5453 Old 01-16-2011, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper187 View Post

...I play for 12-15 hours a day,...

p.s. What's the difference between the Sennheiser 350 and 360? Aside from the 360 being the new model.

Seriously? I hope that either you're a pro gamer or that was a typo...

If you even come close to that (even for 6-8 hours a day) IMO you'd have to go with an open headset just to be comfortable. They usually aren't cheaper but as others have mentioned the soundstage is better plus you can hear some ambient sounds...so it's not like you've completely blocked yourself out from the outside world for 15 hours. They also keep your ears cooler so the phones won't be sticking to the side of your head.

The major diff with the PC 360 over the PC 350 is the 360 is open, I'm sure there were some other enhancements to the mic and perhaps the drivers but I haven't researched it that thoroughly. I've always liked the Senns I've used in the past so when I got the right deal on the PC 360s it was a no-brainer.

I would say a mixamp combined with one of these 3 (in order of preference) would be your best bet. I've used all three:
  • Sennheiser PC 360
  • Astro A40
  • Turtle Beach HPX

All three are open headsets. Coincidentally this list is also from most expensive to least expensive...so I guess the adage that 'you get what you pay for' holds true in this scenario.

XBOX LIVE ID: JeepR kReapR
PSN ID: JeepR_kReapR

Originally Posted by emartins

Instead of the usual 2 minutes, give her 5 minutes of nothing but that Jeep ecstasy. She will be exhausted and fall right to sleep. You are now free to play.

Thats what I do.

Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page