The NEW Gaming Headset/Headphone Topic! (REQUEST STICKY PLZ) - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #91 of 5489 Old 10-30-2010, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah me too. I'd just like to see if doing PS3 line out to E9 would sound as good as the E7's (and obviously the E9) dac portion does with my netbook. I'm only interested in doing this for music, and only sparingly, when I feel like chillaxing on my couch to music through my PS3 (the Earth wallpaper/screen saver/visual effect is soothing to me)...

The E9 is gonna be constantly moving from my computer desk to my living room setup anyway (gonna use the E9 to power my headphones after the mixamp when gaming), so I figure I'd get more use out of my PS3...

I can obviously just use my netbook in my living room setup, but I have it set up as if it was a desktop, so I don't wanna unplug it from my computer desk...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 5489 Old 10-30-2010, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost-182 View Post

What do you guys think of the new earforce pdx21 combo from turtle beach? Is it worth the 150 or can compete with tritton ax720?
or turtle beach just sucks just give up making headsets?
http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/...rce-dpx21.aspx

This is just the PX21 with the DSS. I myself recently bought the PX21 to use with the Mixamp which would function the same.

Unless you like a lot of hiss to your sound, I'd skip this line entirely. The PX21 (hiss aside) had a really crisp and enjoyable sound to it, but the positioning wasn't too accurate, and it had a very cramped soundstage.

The sound quality was there, but the hiss was the real dealbreaker. There is no way around it, as the PX21 has an inline amp that's the culprit. It was a shame, because it could have been a decent performer.

I'd go with the AX720 personally.
post #93 of 5489 Old 10-30-2010, 10:04 PM

quick question:

in general which console performs better when it comes to positional audio in FPS's the PS3 or Xbox 360? or are they equal?
post #94 of 5489 Old 10-30-2010, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

They are equal. However, the PS3 tends to have higher overall sound quality in some games. That doesn't affect positional audio though.

I have tested the same games on both systems to check for accuracy.

Positional audio is mainly affected by the game itself. Some games just do it right, some don't.
post #95 of 5489 Old 10-31-2010, 12:20 AM

Available now but they are not cheep. Three colors to choose from.. Black, White, and Green.

http://www.crutchfield.com/s_039Q701....html?tp=36775
LL

Dogs love me cuz I'm crazy sniffable
post #96 of 5489 Old 10-31-2010, 12:34 AM

For a very limited time you can use coupon code.. R?58?$4XD28VVK at Dell to get 10% off of select Electronics & Accessories. This includes Astro Gaming. I just checked and it still works as of this post. 11/4 is last day to use or after 500 uses. Astro A40 was 224.99 after coupon before taxes and shipping is free for orders over 49.

Dogs love me cuz I'm crazy sniffable
post #97 of 5489 Old 10-31-2010, 02:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Your posts are always awesome, appleseed.

As for the Quincy Jones line... I'd only go for the lime green one as it's the only one truly different from the K701 and K702, with the exception of all having detachable cables...

I'm hoping someone will make a Dolby Headphone processor with a line out, so I'm not double amping my hard to drive headphones. Not holding my breath though. I doubt they'd ever do that. I wouldn't pay for the SU-DH1 as it uses an older DH chipset.
post #98 of 5489 Old 10-31-2010, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkeleb View Post

How are you running them? I have the X41's and was wondering what a good set of headphones would sound like running through the wired connection on the X41 receiver.

Mixamp. They sound amazing man except they could have more bass to them. I'm talked to Astro and they said that their new wireless mixamp has an added 6db of bass response so I may give that a shot or I may just try to pick up a pair of MMX300's. I'm going to play with them for another day or so and see if I think it's going to be a headset that I'll actually be able to wear for extended periods of time...especially with BO coming out.

"OmfgItzThaMack" on XBL, Steam, & Origin...

facebook.com/craiglevere
post #99 of 5489 Old 10-31-2010, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin CZ View Post

That's a damn good price for the PC360, which happens to be around the price of a 595...

When you say it's made for big heads, what's your issue with them?

Nah I was saying I don't think they had guys with big noggins in mind when they made this thing...it just seems to sit a little tight around the ears but then again I'm a big guy. Oh yeah and I was going to say if anyone is interested I can point you in the direction to scoop these for 179$ shipped from an authorized dealer.

facebook.com/craiglevere
post #100 of 5489 Old 10-31-2010, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
If anyone is thinking about getting the PC370's older brother, the PC350, let me know if you'd like to make me an offer on a used set. I got the PC350 about a year ago and it works really well as a closed headset but i mostly use my AD700 open cans now instead...
post #101 of 5489 Old 10-31-2010, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmfgItzThaMack View Post

Mixamp. They sound amazing man except they could have more bass to them. I'm talked to Astro and they said that their new wireless mixamp has an added 6db of bass response so I may give that a shot or I may just try to pick up a pair of MMX300's. I'm going to play with them for another day or so and see if I think it's going to be a headset that I'll actually be able to wear for extended periods of time...especially with BO coming out.

Speaking of which how much of a difference will 6db make?

Also anyone here have the MMX300 or the DT770 Pro? If so your thoughts?

facebook.com/craiglevere
post #102 of 5489 Old 10-31-2010, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I had the DT770 Pros. They already have a ridiculous emphasis on bass, and if the 6db of bass on the new Mixamps isn't adjustable, then the DT770 Pros may as well be called the 'DT770 Cannons' because you won't hear anything else but bass.
post #103 of 5489 Old 10-31-2010, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I had the DT770 Pros. They already have a ridiculous emphasis on bass, and if the 6db of bass on the new Mixamps isn't adjustable, then the DT770 Pros may as well be called the 'DT770 Cannons' because you won't hear anything else but bass.

That's what I've heard...assuming you were using a mixamp as well how did you feel it powered them?

Honestly I do love these PC360's but I'm just not sure they're going to work out for me comfort wise - they even look small...I just don't get it! I hate getting stuff though the mail and having to deal with sending it back, paying for shipping (again), and having money tied up.

Oh...and on that same note...with the DT770's what did your mic rig look like?

facebook.com/craiglevere
post #104 of 5489 Old 10-31-2010, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So my DT990 (as well as my K701, though I'm doing these just for the heck of it, as they already had over 200 hours, not including previous owner) have been burning in pretty much 24-7 for the past week and a half (20 minute pink noise, 2 minute silence on endless loop). I dunno what it translates to time-wise, but I assume over 100 hours so far. Once my E9 comes in, I'll be burning the amp WITH my DT990s and K701 as well. I haven't really tested the DT990s much since the first few days though, I'm just trying to get them all ready for Black Ops.

Quote:

That's what I've heard...assuming you were using a mixamp as well how did you feel it powered them?

Honestly I do love these PC360's but I'm just not sure they're going to work out for me comfort wise - they even look small...I just don't get it! I hate getting stuff though the mail and having to deal with sending it back, paying for shipping (again), and having money tied up.

Oh...and on that same note...with the DT770's what did your mic rig look like?

For all my headphones after my A40s died, I didn't use a mic (with the exception of the Creative Aurvana Live, Turtle Beach Z2, and PX21).

So even notoriously hard to drive headphones like the K701 was powered quite well when setting the game/voice knob to be dialed fully towards the game side, meaning no voice chat. The DT770 Pros were no different. They are definitely a LOT easier to drive than my 600ohm DT990s and K701, though I think if you plan on attaching a mic to the DT770 Pros, they will need some amping, because leaning towards voice underpowers them significantly.

I personally wouldn't recommend the DT770 Pros for multiplayer gaming as they are too bass heavy for competitive gaming. You'll want something a little lighter on the bass. I think the bassiest headphones I have tried that work well with multiplayer gaming is the Creative Aurvana Live and DT990. Even then I'd go lighter on the bass than both of these for multi, which is why I have the K701. Again, if the DT880's had better positional cues (and this is debatable, YMMV for sure), they'd be one of the best headphones to use for gaming, whether single or multiplayer. They did practically everything right for me.
If I had to take an educated guess by what I've read on the forums, the Premium DT770s are a LOOOOT more balanced than the Pros, and would work quite well for gaming, which is why I guess the MMX300 was made (essentially a DT770 32ohm with a mic, though they may be mored tuned in favor for gaming purposes).

I was debating on getting the DT770 32 or 600ohm but then I figured I'd get the 990s as I no longer needed a closed headphone. Since my E9 is on it's way I would have definitely went with a 770/600ohm if I needed a closed headphone. I hear they're one of the very best closed headphones out there.

I believe that if the E9 does as well as I hope, I plan on getting a Califone mic to use in conjuction with both my K701 and DT990s.
post #105 of 5489 Old 10-31-2010, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Shin CZ you'll have to keep us posted as to how that works out for you...

facebook.com/craiglevere
post #106 of 5489 Old 10-31-2010, 05:01 PM

Hi Guys-
I am a real hardcore gamer. I do game on PS3 and Xbox. Prolly game about 5-6 hours a night. I currently have been using the AXPRO headphones for about 1.5 years. I think they are excellent for positioning opponents. I also had the AX720's for about a week because I wanted to try them out and see if they were any better than the PRO's for positioning but they were not.

I am now possibly looking at purchasing some high end stereo headphones, either looking at the ad700 or something similar under 200 dollars. My concern is if I buy the AD700, will I be unhappy with the positioning of the enemies when compared to my AXPRO. Right now I can tell exactly where with pinpoint accuracy and I do not want to lose that. Am I able to use my Tritton box, or do I have to buy a mixamp?

Has anyone done this after using the AXPRO's and after really liking the AXPRO's? Like I said I am just worried about how poorly the positioning was with the AX720, I could tell which direction people were with the AX720's but not the distance.

Ideally, I heard the TB HPA2 are superior to the AXPRO's because of 40mm drivers instead of 30mm. Is there a way to use the existing Dolby Decoder with Trittons Pro's and hooking up the HPA2 through the box into a PS3. I mostly game on PS3, I already know this is possibly on the Xbox.
post #107 of 5489 Old 10-31-2010, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petes67bird View Post

Hi Guys-
I am a real hardcore gamer. I do game on PS3 and Xbox. Prolly game about 5-6 hours a night. I currently have been using the AXPRO headphones for about 1.5 years. I think they are excellent for positioning opponents. I also had the AX720's for about a week because I wanted to try them out and see if they were any better than the PRO's for positioning but they were not.

I am now possibly looking at purchasing some high end stereo headphones, either looking at the ad700 or something similar under 200 dollars. My concern is if I buy the AD700, will I be unhappy with the positioning of the enemies when compared to my AXPRO. Right now I can tell exactly where with pinpoint accuracy and I do not want to lose that. Am I able to use my Tritton box, or do I have to buy a mixamp?

Has anyone done this after using the AXPRO's and after really liking the AXPRO's? Like I said I am just worried about how poorly the positioning was with the AX720, I could tell which direction people were with the AX720's but not the distance.

Ideally, I heard the TB HPA2 are superior to the AXPRO's because of 40mm drivers instead of 30mm. Is there a way to use the existing Dolby Decoder with Trittons Pro's and hooking up the HPA2 through the box into a PS3. I mostly game on PS3, I already know this is possibly on the Xbox.

Your trading off quality sound for positional awareness with the AXPRO's...I should know, I used them for a while. They do sound terrible though. I just recently got the SennPC360s and other with them feeling a little tight around my head when I first got them I love em. I've heard a lot of really good stuff about the AD700s and those are wicked cheap so maybe you wanna just go ahead and go with those. The Senns however do have a badass mic attatched and I got mine for cheap...179$ shipped.

facebook.com/craiglevere
post #108 of 5489 Old 10-31-2010, 05:47 PM

So you are saying the positional was better with the AXPRO when compared to the Senn PC350/360 series? Money isnt an issue, sound clarity isnt an issue. I just want the best soundwhoring piece of equipment possible. I can possibly see myself willing to spend a little over 500.00 if need be. I just dont want to lose the positional awareness that the AXPRO give the user. I am an old guy that needs every bit of help with the reflexes that have been lost over the years.

Off Topic- When you used the AXPRO's did you have the DRC on or off? Noone can give me a straight answer on that and I do not really tell a difference so I leave it on.
post #109 of 5489 Old 10-31-2010, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Guys-

To be honest I think the AX Pros are about the very worst headset I have ever used, that couldn't even match the KSC75 ($13) with Dolby Headphone. For most of us, the AX720 would be leaps and bounds better than the AX Pros due to it's use of Dolby Headphone, but you're so used to speaker 'placement' instead of a whole soundfield. There are a lot of gamers that are also used to regular stereo that HATE Dolby Headphone. YMMV.

If you didn't like the AX720 with Dolby Headphone, then perhaps you're just better off just not using Dolby Headphone and virtual surround in general. Perhaps sticking with the AX Pros or some other multi driver headset like the Psyko 5.1 is best for you, since you seem to like it. We here as a whole don't like that multi driver gimmick, so we aren't the best people to ask.

Personally the best demo of Dolby Headphone I have heard is the K701 with the Mixamp. The AD700 comes second.

You're used to hearing certain speakers give off sound, while Dolby Headphone doesn't give you those audio cues. It literally envelopes you in a 360 degree soundfield and places sounds wherever they are in that space. To most of us, that is highly superior than just certain speakers going off, but that's what YOU are used to, so I highly doubt anything but 5.1 will work for you.
post #110 of 5489 Old 10-31-2010, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So you are saying the positional was better with the AXPRO when compared to the Senn PC350/360 series? Money isnt an issue, sound clarity isnt an issue. I just want the best soundwhoring piece of equipment possible. I can possibly see myself willing to spend a little over 500.00 if need be. I just dont want to lose the positional awareness that the AXPRO give the user. I am an old guy that needs every bit of help with the reflexes that have been lost over the years.

Off Topic- When you used the AXPRO's did you have the DRC on or off? Noone can give me a straight answer on that and I do not really tell a difference so I leave it on.

Then you might want to check out something like this...

UPDATE: So far today I've played about 2 hours of MW2 and watched episodes 1-4 of season 4 of The Tudors and the SennPC360s are seeming to become more comfortable. I think the padding is starting to break in a little bit and it hardly feels like I have them on. Shin CZ have you tested these out? If so your thoughts?

facebook.com/craiglevere
post #111 of 5489 Old 10-31-2010, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Nah, never tried a Sennheiser after the Senn HD201 and HD280 Pro, and a little bit of time spent with the HD428. Not a fan of the Sennheiser house sound. From what I hear, they are on the warmer/smoother side, whereas I prefer brighter/sparklier sound.

Not that it's bad, but I know I wouldn't like it. I can see why people do though.
post #112 of 5489 Old 10-31-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:

Then you might want to check out something like this...

UPDATE: So far today I've played about 2 hours of MW2 and watched episodes 1-4 of season 4 of The Tudors and the SennPC360s are seeming to become more comfortable. I think the padding is starting to break in a little bit and it hardly feels like I have them on. Shin CZ have you tested these out? If so your thoughts?

Hi Thanks again,
But the link you gave doesnt go to anything but an error page. Could you give me a item number of the item and I could go to the website myself to look it up. Thanks for you help
post #113 of 5489 Old 10-31-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:

To be honest I think the AX Pros are about the very worst headset I have ever used, that couldn't even match the KSC75 ($13) with Dolby Headphone. For most of us, the AX720 would be leaps and bounds better than the AX Pros due to it's use of Dolby Headphone, but you're so used to speaker 'placement' instead of a whole soundfield. There are a lot of gamers that are also used to regular stereo that HATE Dolby Headphone. YMMV.

If you didn't like the AX720 with Dolby Headphone, then perhaps you're just better off just not using Dolby Headphone and virtual surround in general. Perhaps sticking with the AX Pros or some other multi driver headset like the Psyko 5.1 is best for you, since you seem to like it. We here as a whole don't like that multi driver gimmick, so we aren't the best people to ask.

Personally the best demo of Dolby Headphone I have heard is the K701 with the Mixamp. The AD700 comes second.

You're used to hearing certain speakers give off sound, while Dolby Headphone doesn't give you those audio cues. It literally envelopes you in a 360 degree soundfield and places sounds wherever they are in that space. To most of us, that is highly superior than just certain speakers going off, but that's what YOU are used to, so I highly doubt anything but 5.1 will work for you.

Did you use dolby headphone before the AXPRO's? Could be the same issue, just what we have become accustomed too. I would refrain from calling something a gimmick, because the same could be said for Dolby Headphone technology. Alot of people spout some fallacies about the licensing being so expensive yet the AX720's are substantially less money than the AXPRO's. If it were only a licensing issue, you would figure the headset to cost more money than it is. Thats neither here nor there and a whole different discussion.

So what you are basically telling me then is the AX720 is a "good" representation of what I would hear with positioning if I were to purchase a AD700 or K701 with a Astro mixamp? I love the positioning of the PRO's but the higher frequency sounds makes my ears ache after 5-6 hours and I feel as though I am losing my hearing if that makes sense. I have researched the technologies in depth, but with the success I have had with the AXPRO's I cannot just dismiss them as a gimmick as you can.

That is why I came to ask about the HPA2 as they are multi speaker as well. The Psyko headphones are completely different and I dont want to take the risk on those. I was hoping as people could connect the HPA2 via Tritton box to the Xbox, but have yet to see anyone with info how to hook it up to the PS3 with chat capability. I heard the HPA2 produces a clearer sound and outperforms the tritton headset. I could care less about the technology that brings me the footsteps and positional accuracy be it multi or dual speaker designs. The AXPRO's are fine for me because I dont do anything other than play COD with them. No music or movies ever. So audiophile headphones for music dont mean a thing, I want a purely competitive multiplayer headphone/headset that may alleviate some of the issues with my ears feeling like they feel after a concert.
post #114 of 5489 Old 10-31-2010, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

If you get a chance can you run them through the X41 receiver? I've been curious if that would work as an option. I might upgrade my headphones and I was thinking of starting with a nice set using the X41 receiver and then if need go the mix amp route. Thanks in advance!

Disclaimer:
The words above are based on loose facts mixed with my opinion, the latter of which is subject to change.

Gamertag Morkaleb
PSN Archathema
post #115 of 5489 Old 10-31-2010, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Pete, multiple driver headsets are considered by the mass majority of headphone gamers as a gimmick, but I won't knock it if you like it. Virtual surround has been proven effective by Dolby Headphone, CMSS, and Silent Cinema, while multiple driver headsets are still trying to find a place...
I'd say 5.1 headsets are more expensive because all the drivers they pack in, and the extra amount of parts necessary to make it work.

I do agree, it's what we are accustomed to. To be completely honest, I didn't get into virtual surround gaming until I picked up the AD700s to use with my Mixamp. I had the A40s (with the Mixamp) prior to that, and didn't care for it whatsoever, so I can see where you are coming from. The AX720 is considered slightly inferior to the A40s, so I probably wouldn't like that either, though I can say I prefer the A40s over the AX Pros, with absolutely no doubt.

If you're sensitive to high frequencies, you may wanna skip the AD700s as the treble is pretty pronounced and will be harsh to a lot of gamers. The K701 is more in tune, but may still be a bit harsh for you.
Still, the K701 or K702 would probably be the best way to see how good Dolby Headphone works with FPS gaming. I'm a hardcore gamer too (pretty damn good in CoD if I can say so myself), and after what seems like 20+ headphones, I have absolutely no reason to search for anything better than the K701 with my Mixamp. It's that good, IMHO.

Try the HPA2 with the AX Pro box. The beauty of the HPA2 is that it also works well with the Mixamp, so you might wanna try it that way too...
post #116 of 5489 Old 10-31-2010, 09:20 PM

Ok, I did some tests with my K702 finally.

Music:
Listened from laptop+E7 on Bass 1:
I listened some electronic(daft punk), latin (alejandro fernandez), and lot of classic (vivaldi, mozart). The clarity is AMAZING. Lots of details I never heard before. I switched back to my QC15, and man... it sounded horribly. I lent my K702 to a friend that is musician (plays violin, etc), and agreed that are crystal clear, but also on the lack of bass.

Single Player:
As expected, the impact of bass was not very strong. I hear many details, positioning is cool. Still with bass 3, some explosions sounds kind of fake.

Multi Player:
Well, sounds pretty cool. I found my problem with 3D positioning: I NEVER played with Home Theather before, so I found myself when using my 7.1 Onkyo HT ignoring back noises and getting my ass kicked heh.. so I think I need to focus more on details and learn to listen to the 360 degrees area.

Pretty happy with my purchase, just wondering if I need something else to get the bass punch feeling.
post #117 of 5489 Old 10-31-2010, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The K702 is bass light by nature, and other than pairing them with a powerful amp that colors the sound with more bass, and eq-ing, the K702 won't be ideal if you are looking for punch. It's hard to recommend bass heavt headphones for gaming, but MAYBE the DT990 would work for you. It's very clear, but has a pretty sweet amount of bass with quickness that won't smear over the rest of the sound. Still, I'd only use them for single player, because my K701 just does competitive gaming better, period.

Try to get used to the 360 degree sound, and see if you get used to where sounds are placed around you. You won't find anything significantly better in this regard.

Adding bass to the K702 with the E7 works, but it definitely won't compare to a headphone that is made to handle bass.
post #118 of 5489 Old 10-31-2010, 09:35 PM

Shin, how do DT990/600 perform for you for movies/single and generally non-multi stuff?
post #119 of 5489 Old 10-31-2010, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I don't wanna give you a final impression because I just haven't used them that long. I have used them when I played Star Wars: Force Unleased 2 and Star Ocean 4 on the PS3, and it worked extremely well with both games. My favorite bass enhanced headphone for gaming, easily. How well they work with virtual surround is something I wanna take my time testing, but so far so good. Not as good as the AD700 and K701, but better than the 880s. I won't say that they highlight the strengths of Dolby Headphone, but just work well with it. If you want a pair that does give you rear audio cues, and good posotioning, you wont have a problem with the DT990s. If you want one that truly gives you some crazy ass positioning, the AD700 and K701/2 is where it's at.

For music? They are awesome. Makes me wanna dance. They are toe tapping fuuuuuun.
post #120 of 5489 Old 10-31-2010, 09:46 PM

I will keep K702, that's for sure

I'm still wondering if for single and movies I should use K702 with a tube amp, get a CAL or buy in a future something like DT 990/600
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page