The NEW Gaming Headset/Headphone Topic! (REQUEST STICKY PLZ) - Page 8 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 21Likes

post #211 of 5710 Old 11-04-2010, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Now that I have tested it for gaming with the Mixamp, I will never again play without the E9 attached.

Console ---> Mixamp ---> 3.5mm cable ---> E9's Line In --- K701/DT990.

Since the E9 is so travel friendly, I have no problem disconnecting and connecting it from my desktop area to my gaming area. I plan on leaving the Mixamp inside where the systems are, and just having the E9 close to me, and control the volume from there.

I might go ahead and order that cheap mic you're using. If it's as bad as the Zalman, I will KILL YOU.

Mack, OMG DO EET! I'm gonna suggest the E9 with the 990 OR K701... for REAL. This is gonna be the best recommendation I will give for a long time. If you want bass and still provide good performance for gaming, DT990's all the way. K701 only if you want a clear upgrade from the AD700 (though the positioning is about 9/10 as good as the AD700, which believe me, is MORE than enough to aid in you kicking even more ass.) The E9 is just gonna perform admirably in powering them as well as giving you the juice for voice chat if/when you want/need it. Honestly though, the E9 is NOT necessary to use with the K701 or DT990/60 if you don't plan on using voice chat. I however am enjoying it immensely for music...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 5710 Old 11-04-2010, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obazavil View Post

Did you find any drawback or something you didn't like if using mixamp+e9?

None whatsoever. NONE. No extra brightness/harshness/NOTHING.

The only issue I personally have is the damn Mixamp's clicking noise when adding voice chat. No batteries, USB, or anything fixes it for me... I need a new Mixamp...

Has nothing to do with the E9.
post #213 of 5710 Old 11-04-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin CZ View Post

Now that I have tested it for gaming with the Mixamp, I will never again play without the E9 attached.

Ok, is official... I will get the E9 too... now my problem is if apart from the CALs (to be used at work of for my wife) should I get the DT990/600 too...

Quote:

I might go ahead and order that cheap mic you're using. If it's as bad as the Zalman, I will KILL YOU.

Ohh. c'mon, is just $2.50. Bad thing is that it takes like 2 weeks to arrive from there. If you want, we can do a test on our PS3s PSN to see how you listen to my noise, voice etc. My user is KktoMx

decisions, decisions... I have already spent more than I should on this new hobbie... funny part is i have not playing at all, but using my K702 or E7 for music for my iPod/laptop :P
post #214 of 5710 Old 11-04-2010, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just remember, the E9 is only worth it for gaming IF you plan on using voice chat, or want the sound to be more refined. It won't be a dramatic change sound-wise than just the Mixamp alone. The E9 is literally just amplifying the Mixamp's signal.

Get the E9 if you definitely plan on using it for music, which it looks like you will. It's a definite step up from the underpowered sound of the E7 alone.

As for the DT990/600... only if you need a headphone with bass AND clarity. I'd probably hold off until you get my CALs, you may not even want to upgrade from them. The CAL is still awesome, though warmer and definitely a lot more closed and restricted in soundstaging. Dunno how you like open headphones compared to closed. The difference is staggering.

I'll play with you later. I have to sleep. Go ahead an add me!
post #215 of 5710 Old 11-04-2010, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblee View Post

I own the Harman Kardon AVR 635. It's an older non-HDMI receiver, but has Dolby Headphone. Just looking for any solution that would save me from needing to buy the mixamp.

I have a Denon with similar specs...... i t works well with PS3 (and a hanging bluetooth adapter). I wonder if you can do the same with stock mic and sending audio to speakers for the X360 (or rig their wireless one to do the same thing).

I'm not with the Crazies, They just like to stand next to me!

Headphone Audiophiles
post #216 of 5710 Old 11-04-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:

As for the DT990/600... only if you need a headphone with bass AND clarity. I'd probably hold off until you get my CALs, you may not even want to upgrade from them. The CAL is still awesome, though warmer and definitely a lot more closed and restricted in soundstaging. Dunno how you like open headphones compared to closed. The difference is staggering.

I'm interested in an immersion solution for non-competitive gaming. Of all your headphones, which one gives you the most wow factor for immersion?
post #217 of 5710 Old 11-04-2010, 11:56 AM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i'm interested in an immersion solution for non-competitive gaming. Of all your headphones, which one gives you the most wow factor for immersion?

mdr f1/701..

The #1 spot for gaming headphones/headsets/Mic mods/DH 5.1/links & more.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...494101?sk=info
post #218 of 5710 Old 11-04-2010, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I'm interested in an immersion solution for non-competitive gaming. Of all your headphones, which one gives you the most wow factor for immersion?

alessandro ms1/ms2i... both amazing for offline gaming, just not comfortable for extremely long sessions (some people aren't as bothered with the comfort though)

for the total package of immersion and comfort, i'd say MDR-F1.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #219 of 5710 Old 11-04-2010, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

formulanerd have your Senns arrived yet?

"OmfgItzThaMack" on XBL, Steam, & Origin...

facebook.com/craiglevere
post #220 of 5710 Old 11-04-2010, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

not yet! the tracking number i got is wrong, but i'm guessing they'll be here tomorrow.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
post #221 of 5710 Old 11-04-2010, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah man they're alright...but I'm no audiophile...not yet at least...

Shin's got me wanting to try those 990/600's with that E9 along with my mixamp...kinda wish I just would of went for that setup in the first place. But for $179 shipped I'm not complaining.

facebook.com/craiglevere
post #222 of 5710 Old 11-04-2010, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Alright Shin you got me convinced....think I'll try to sell my Senns and scoop the 990s. Anyone interested in a brand new set of PC360s. Just got em five days ago, probably have less than 6 hours on em...sound great just want more bass. Give you a killer deal. PM for more info.

facebook.com/craiglevere
post #223 of 5710 Old 11-04-2010, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

From my experiences: DT990/600 for sure, followed by DT770 Pro 80s, and then the CAL. The 770 Pros are freaking awesome if you wanna by enveloped by movie theater like bass, otherwise, the other two are better balanced and won't smear the bass over the rest of the sound (especially the DT990 with it's super quick yet hard hitting bass).

Mack, maybe try selling the PC360 on Head-fi? I'm sure someone will bite at that price or near it. I think you have to be a member for a couple of weeks and have some posts under your name though. As for the E9, it'd be pointless to buy it alone for music. The E7/E9 combo is a MUST if you don't already own the E7 or another decent DAC. Remember, a DAC is worthwhile if you plan on listening to music off a laptop with a basic soundcard, or Ipod/MP3 player with an LOD cable... if you just plan on using the E9 with a game system, you won't need a DAC. For example, PS3. Just use the RCA cables and buy an RCA to 3.5mm cable and hook that up to the line in on the E9. The PS3 sounds pretty good as a music player...
post #224 of 5710 Old 11-04-2010, 08:34 PM

So basically Shin, you are saying K701/2 and E9 for gaming and DT990 with E9 for Music/everything else?

Sorry, I just posted a thread that I need a new audio setup. I since then found this thread and it is answering the questions that have had my head spinning. I'm T1, nice to meet you all.

I wanna be able to game on the PC and XBOX, what mixamp you using. Please, send me to the checkout already!

I would also like it to be good for light music (hip hop) and movies. Also, how is the comfort-ability with these cans? I play MMOs, so going to need long wear times.
post #225 of 5710 Old 11-04-2010, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey T1, I recommend you get the Beyerdynamics T1 for sheer coincidence. Oh wait, those are over a grand. o_O

Seriously... if you wanna start off with headphones you'll never wanna replace:

1. Astro Mixamp or AX720 ($130)- Gets you started with virtual surround.

2. AKG K701 or K702 ($250) - These are a competition joy, and bring a ridiculous amount of clarity and soundstage. If you're looking for something mainly to kick ass in FPS games, this is it, but only if the AD700s are out of the question.

3. DT990/600 ($229)- These will be good for both music AND gaming, so if you're not ONLY playing FPS games, these would be the ones I'd suggest, as you'll undoubtedly use them from everything between, music, movies, and games.

As for the E9 ($130 alone, $200 with the E7 through Micca Store), this is an amp you'll most likely want if you don't have an amp to power these hard to drive phones for music OR if you plan on adding a mic to the headphones when using them with the Mixamp.

Remember, the E7 is essential to use with the E9 if you listen to music off your PC and don't have a good soundcard. If you do happen to have a good soundcard, you can hook up the E9 to the soundcard's line out, and skip the E7.

You may wanna check the first post in this thread, if you want something just purely effective. My recommendations in this post is based off the countless headphones I have gone through, and only to those willing to spend at least $500 in one shot if they have NOTHING atm.

I'd personally start with:

AX720 ($130, brings a headset for voice chat. Even if you don't like it, the AX720 amp compares to the Mixamp for the same price.)

+

K701/2 - or DT990 if you don't mind sacrificing a little clarity for bass and immersion.

E7/E9 - amp/dac for music, and powers my phones for gaming.
post #226 of 5710 Old 11-04-2010, 09:57 PM
EVM

I got my K702's today. I hooked them up to the monitor with out an amp and played some MW2. The cans sound good although they do need more power for sure but they sound good. I can't wait for the mixamp to arrive. I did hook the cans to my PC and played through them as loud as possible. The PC did not have enough juice for the cans. Then I played some music through Sony Vegas, raised the DB in software and the cans sounded bad. Not sure what this is from? The software messes up the sound of the music? Like over blown speakers?
post #227 of 5710 Old 11-04-2010, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sounds like you EQ-ed the K702 for more decibel level. That method of EQ is almost always bad. Your K702 is currently being severely underdriven, so nothing you do aside from amping will help it.

We told ya it's pretty freaking hard to drive.

Gaming-wise, the Mixamp alone in Dolby Headphone mode will do fine with them, as long as you set the game/voice audio knob all the way towards game, meaning no voice chat, at least until you get a full-sized amp.

I sound like a broken record, lol.

Also, don't forget to let your headphones burn in too. The more use they get, the better they get. I think you'll crap your pants once you get the Mixamp.
post #228 of 5710 Old 11-04-2010, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVM View Post

I got my K702's today. I hooked them up to the monitor with out an amp and played some MW2. The cans sound good although they do need more power for sure but they sound good. I can't wait for the mixamp to arrive. I did hook the cans to my PC and played through them as loud as possible. The PC did not have enough juice for the cans. Then I played some music through Sony Vegas, raised the DB in software and the cans sounded bad. Not sure what this is from? The software messes up the sound of the music? Like over blown speakers?

you're probably getting distortion, you're raising the input signal without the ability to raise the power (your soundcard is already taxed)

post #229 of 5710 Old 11-04-2010, 10:15 PM

Here was the pre-amp I was going to go with

Because it has an intro price that is lower than the current acclaimed mixamp and from the reviews I have read, the wireless option on them is flawless.

I think I am going to go with the DT990, because I do like the heavier bass for immersion and I would imagine the more bass being better for hip hop listening.

Quick question: If I go with that right there, is it totally necessary I get an E9 right away? I have a decent sound card. It is the one that came with my Evga motherboard, but the reviews say its solid. Supports fiber optic and all, which I am using.

I would rather get a better sound card then an E7, what do you recommend? Also, with the setup minus the E9, will I still get some good sound?
post #230 of 5710 Old 11-04-2010, 10:15 PM

http://www.astrogaming.com/products/...111/MixAmp-58/

That is the link to the amp. Sorry for the second post. Needed 3 posts to post a URL .

EDIT: Lol, now I am stumped again. The DT990 come in 32, 250 and 600 ohm. Which one should I go with? Damn...
post #231 of 5710 Old 11-04-2010, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The E9 is unnecessary for gaming with my first gen Mixamp unless I wanna use voice chat. HOWEVER, the E9 refines the sound quality of the DT990 and makes them sound better than the Mixamp alone. Not a huge difference to me, but definitely there.
I honestly don't know about that new wireless mixamp and how powerful it is compared to the powered mixamp
s. Since it's battery powered, I'm afraid to pair it up with hard to drive headphones without an amp like the E9 attached to it. which would make the fac that it's wireless kinda pointless for my use. My mixamp is always plugged in via USB for power.

As for music, an amp like the E9 IS an absolute must because 600ohms is a lot for a soundcard to take. The difference between a soundcard alone and an amp is pretty significant.

As for soundcards, I honestly don't know. I'd personally use offboard DACs like the E7 as they are easier to replace and use for more than just a computer... but I don't think it will be in YOUR best interests as your soundcard sounds solid.

I'm not much of a computer person, which is why the E7 makes more sense for my use.
post #232 of 5710 Old 11-04-2010, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeOne View Post

EDIT: Lol, now I am stumped again. The DT990 come in 32, 250 and 600 ohm. Which one should I go with? Damn...

It's okay. There is an issue with the ohm differences. Logically, the 32ohm version would fit our needs the BEST, HOWEVER
it's been proven that the 600ohm is the best version, and that it uses superior drivers than the other two versions. Also the 250ohm and 600ohm are about the same when it comes to how much power they need. I'd get the 600ohm...
post #233 of 5710 Old 11-04-2010, 11:40 PM

Cool, so to start off, I think I'll go with the DT990s and the Astro Mixamp. This way I can attach a mic and be good for PC and XBOX gaming. Then, in the future for my music, I can buy an E9/7 combo and be able to max out the potential for music quality.

If I am correct in saying this please let me know. If so, I'm going to start my buying. Again, thanks for your help!
post #234 of 5710 Old 11-05-2010, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Which mixamp? The 5.8? It's brand spanking new so we just don't know how it performs. Also the DT990 will NEED an amp like the E9 if you wanna voice chat. Without it, the game volume will be too low if you just use the Mixamp.

For now, the 990 with the Mixamp will be fine without voice chat.

Okay let me explain how voice chat works with the Mixamp. There is a smaller Game/Voice knob on the Mixamp. As you add volume to your voice chat, it takes away volume from game audio. With a headphone like the 600ohm DTs and K702, the volume where you'd like the voice chat to be will make game audio VERY low. It's a steep decline in volume with the hard to drive headphones, which is why we insist on adding an external amp like the E9 to help maintain a decent amount of volume to both game and voice audio.
post #235 of 5710 Old 11-05-2010, 12:56 AM

Ahhh, Okay. Thanks for clearing that up! Very helpful indeed.

No, I meant the regular Mixamp, not the 5.8.

If I am using the DT990s with just a mixamp and am gaming on the PC, can't I just turn the volume up on Ventrilo or any other chat program to equal out game volume and voice?

Or are you just talking game console here. Because if the DT990 will give me stellar sound with just a mixamp for PC gaming for now, then that is what I am looking to do. I mean, I am definitely looking to purchase the E9/7 combo asap, but I want to start with something usable.
post #236 of 5710 Old 11-05-2010, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm speaking console-wise. I have zero knowledge on PC gaming, or headphone use with PC gaming. I assume that as long as your PC has a optical digital output for the Mixamp, and you have a Dolby Digital option for your PC games, the Mixamp should work just as well on the PC as consoles. As for chat volume, you'll be the first to tell us how your volume options work on the PC with the Mixamp.

Not forgetting to mention that the newer Mixamps have USB DAC capabilities, so you MAY be able to fully use the Mixamp just via USB. I dunno myself, but I'm sure someone else can chime in and let us know exactly what the Mixamp is capable of doing with the PC.

Some people make the mistake of using the Mixamp on their PC without changing the PC and in game settings to allow for Dolby Digital, so their Mixamp isn't processing the audio properly. Like I said, I dunno.

I await your impressions of both the Mixamp and DT990. I know I have recommended headphones in the past year, but the DT990 is what I wished the DT880 could have been back then. Definitely the best single player gaming headphone I have tried. I think of it has the more fun DT880 with added bass, slightly better soundstage, and with better positioning too, though how much better is definitely subjective. YMMV.
post #237 of 5710 Old 11-05-2010, 01:36 AM

Awesome. I will be back to report in just a few days. As for the k702s, those are still your favorite pair for gaming eh? (Competitive). And, minus LAN competitions, will DT990 handle my MW needs? Or are you just saying the positioning difference between the K702 and DT990 are a marginal advantage?

Again, sorry for all the questions. I am literally about to plunge and want to go in confident.

EDIT: To come to think of it, I'm pretty sure DT990s will be my best bet. Lol, considering you lean them towards single player and immersion more than any others. My main game will be an MMO. With MMOs, positioning isn't a big factor where immersion definitely is.
post #238 of 5710 Old 11-05-2010, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have no doubt the DT990s will put a smile to your face. Burn in is a must to tame the peaky treble some, but other than that, I believe you won't regret it one bit.

The K701 is my clear upgrade to my old AD700s, which were AMAZING for competitions, IMHO. It just does practically everything better. From having present bass (not strong, but not anemic like the AD700), large as hell soundstage, VERY easily pinpointable directional cues, and a pristine sound quality, I have been blown away by these, and will never give them up.

Believe me, it was quite a shock going from the DT770 Pro 80ohm to the K701. I wanted to cry when I put the DT770s back on. It was like being able to drive a Formula 1 car and then having to step back to reality and driving a Kia Rio. It was that huge a gap in sound quality to me. In the 770's defense, it's a closed headphone, and really bass oriented, which is the opposite of the K701. Still, from then on, I knew that I'd want open headphones for gaming...

The 990s are everything I could have ever hoped for in a gaming headphone. Airy AND bassy. They are what I constantly looked for in closed headphones like the M50, DT770 Pros, CAL, XB700, and the like. That slamming bass, but without compromising the airy sound quality, and soundstage. The only thing the others have going for it over the 990s is the isolation and noise leakage, obviously being closed. The 770 Pros also had awesome directional cues, even better than the AD700...

When I do get a chance to get a proper closed headphone, it's definitely gonna be the DT770/600ohm, which won't get much use right now until I need to be extremely quiet with my headphone listening.

As for asking questions, go ahead! I love answering. It keeps me busy at work. It's 4am with nothing better to do than lurking forums anyway...
post #239 of 5710 Old 11-05-2010, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVM View Post

When you bump th decibel level in software, in most cases, you introduce clipping. Most songs these days are (unfortunately) made as "loud" as they can get, meaning the dynamic range is heavily compressed, meaning the quiet parts have been boosted to be as loud as the loud parts, and everything has been taken very close to the limit of 0db. Past that, you start clipping the signal and it's distortion. The distortion you are hearing when you bump up the EQ settings has nothing to do at all with your computer's soundcard (dac/amp), headphones, etc. They are all doing their job properly, but the signal being fed to them is already distorted beacuse the EQ is pushing the signal past where it can go. One way to get around this if you just want to EQ is to lower the center point of all the EQ sliders equally, then bump up the ones you want to bump up, but not above 0. But if you are trying to EQ to somehow get more volume out of the software, that's not going to work. You can make really quiet songs louder (by EQ sliders or software to amplify it) but songs that are already at the limit, which is most songs, there's nothing you can do in software.

What you need to get more volume and power is a better amp. A good amp that won't break the bank is the bravo v2 that you can get off ebay for $30-60 depending on winning bid price. It's a very powerful amp that sounds good for the price, you can roll tubes if you want, and there are some upgrades for it as well if you search around on head-fi. It's a great choice if you don't plan to get too much into this hobby and just want to get the volume you need out of those headphones, or even if you plan to dive in further, it's a good starter amp either way.

SXRD/Oppo/Yamaha/Klipsch
PS3/PSN: pj_rage
360/Live: pjrage82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan
Dude please, your list of toys is so long its like Santa is your dad lol.
post #240 of 5710 Old 11-05-2010, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Okay, so I came home and noticed the E9 has DEFINITELY settled down in the peaky treble after burn in. It's getting better and better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page