AVS Forum banner

Pinball Fx2

28K views 334 replies 43 participants last post by  Arutha_conDoin 
#1 ·
There is an update to Pinball FX on arcade. FX2. It is a free download and will let you play your old tables. They updated the graphics on the old tables. You can also get new achievements on those old tables. You can also purchase 4 new tables for 800 MS points. It seems to play better. Not sure how I like the ball trail but overall it is a pretty well made upgrade. There is also multi-player and new leaderboard. It also has a feature called Superscore which gives you a ranking based on playing all of the tables.

#28 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrisg /forum/post/19519422

You gotta step up DaverJ. I've taken advantage of the tables you don't have high scores on. Now I'm #1 of my 3 friends on Buccaneer, Pasha & Nightmare Mansion. I feel like I've finally done something with my life

Give me the Pasha table and I'll let you have Nightmare Mansion. We'll battle over Buccaneer.

#32 ·
I'm totally digging this game and would love to play online. My gamertag is below so feel free to add me. The interesting thing about this game is how it has gotten me reinvigorated to also bring the Williams Pinball Hall of Fame out of hibernation on my shelf. I'm enjoying both games quite a bit. It also helps that I finished Red Dead Redemption last week and being in between AAA titles allows me the free time to play some more casual stuff.

I've been blowing away the high scores on my friends list and I don't think I am really any great shakes at pinball so I'm looking forward to upping the competition here.

#37 ·
Does anyone know if the tables have a tutorial similar to the Williams Pinball Hall of Fame disc? What I liked about that game is that every table had a walk through where a narrator told you what you needed to hit and in what order to unlock multi-ball, ramps, ball locks, etc.

I unlocked the PBFX2 tables last night for the first time (previously I was just playing my imported PBFX1 tables) and in "Secrets of the Deep" I for the life of me couldn't figure out what I needed to do to unlock big points. I think I ended up with a high score of about 4 million after 6-7 attempts when others on my friends list were at least at 9 million on that table, often quite a bit higher.

#38 ·
I have no clue, I just keep hitting the ball as long as I can lol.

#39 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan S /forum/post/19544371

Does anyone know if the tables have a tutorial similar to the Williams Pinball Hall of Fame disc? What I liked about that game is that every table had a walk through where a narrator told you what you needed to hit and in what order to unlock multi-ball, ramps, ball locks, etc.

I unlocked the PBFX2 tables last night for the first time (previously I was just playing my imported PBFX1 tables) and in "Secrets of the Deep" I for the life of me couldn't figure out what I needed to do to unlock big points. I think I ended up with a high score of about 4 million after 6-7 attempts when others on my friends list were at least at 9 million on that table, often quite a bit higher.

If you go into help & options there's a rule sheet for the table, but it doesn't seem to include everything. The pictures also aren't great, and it's a touch too vague for me to figure out all of the various things on a given table. So it's helpful, but not as good as Williams.

#40 ·
True... a layout of the table and the targets would be nice. However, learning and exploring a table is half the fun, and to give away all the modes might be considered a "spoiler" to some. In competition, the one that knows the high-value shots will win.

The simple key for any pinball table (beyond "keep hitting the ball as long as I can"
) is to aim for the blinking lights -- and usually the biggest scores come from learning to unlock multi-ball.

There's a couple mutli-ball modes in Secrets of the Deep table, the easiest is
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) to aim for the right ramp to lock the ball in the submarine... then keep hitting that right ramp to advance the sub to the docking station. I think 4 right ramp shots will advance the sub enough to lock the ball, as long as another mode isn't active (like hull breach). Repeat this process two more times and you will have 4-ball multi-ball chaos on your hands!
During multi-ball, the ramps are jackpots.

#41 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ /forum/post/0

True... a layout of the table and the targets would be nice. However, learning and exploring a table is half the fun, and to give away all the modes might be considered a "spoiler" to some. In competition, the one that knows the high-value shots will win.

The simple key for any pinball table (beyond "keep hitting the ball as long as I can"
) is to aim for the blinking lights -- and usually the biggest scores come from learning to unlock multi-ball.

There's a couple mutli-ball modes in Secrets of the Deep table, the easiest is to aim for the right ramp to lock the ball in the submarine... then keep hitting that right ramp to advance the sub to the docking station. I think 4 right ramp shots will advance the sub enough to lock the ball, as long as another mode isn't active (like hull breach). Repeat this process two more times and you will have 4-ball multi-ball chaos on your hands!
During multi-ball, the ramps are jackpots.

You can also advance the sub two spots (and get a crap-ton of points) by hitting the left ramp I think 3 times to light up the escape hatch. Then hit the left ramp again and hit A as the ball gets to the escape hatch to shunt it over to the bowl on the end of the right ramp.

I've unlocked a two-ball multi ball several times, and it happens from the top play field, but I'm not sure just how it's done.

#42 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrisg /forum/post/19546678

You can also advance the sub two spots (and get a crap-ton of points) by hitting the left ramp I think 3 times to light up the escape hatch. Then hit the left ramp again and hit A as the ball gets to the escape hatch to shunt it over to the bowl on the end of the right ramp.

I've unlocked a two-ball multi ball several times, and it happens from the top play field, but I'm not sure just how it's done.

Thanks for the tip -- I've always wondered about that escape hatch. I tried nudging the ball in, to no effect obviously.
I don't know how we are supposed to figure out hitting A knocks the ball into the hatch?
I read that the escape mode is used in the Kraken mode too.

I'm not sure about the two-ball multi, but it happens from time to time. My theory is spelling out "shipwreck" X number of times, then maybe shooting the left ramp that goes behind the back? I know that's some sort of "treasure bonus". I also haven't figured out the spelling D-I-V-E bit either.

EDIT - still haven't figured the random, non-sub multi-ball activated at the top, but it's not always two balls... sometimes its 3 and 4. It might have something to do with the number of balls currently locked by the sub?

#43 ·
brag alert: I'm currently ranked #394 in the SotD Tournament. There's still plenty of time left in the tourney, so if I stay in the top 500 I'll be happy. Don't know if I can crack the top 100 though.

UPDATE: the scores fall quickly - after an hour or so my ranking was at #409.

I post this to bump the thread and hopefully more AVSers will start playing this awesome game!

#47 ·
Wow, this game is great. I love pinball but somehow the originally Pinball FX slipped by me and I never played it. I wanted to ask which of the older tables I should buy first. I assume over time I will get them all, but where should I start.

Also anyone that loves this game feel free to add me, I'd love to play against your high scores.

John

#48 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyboy1970 /forum/post/19571861

where do you see the tournament rank i got 63 million but can't find the rank

thanks

On the main screen there's a tournament button across the bottom... 3rd from the left IIRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCool07 /forum/post/19573065

Wow, this game is great. I love pinball but somehow the originally Pinball FX slipped by me and I never played it. I wanted to ask which of the older tables I should buy first. I assume over time I will get them all, but where should I start.

Also anyone that loves this game feel free to add me, I'd love to play against your high scores.

FR sent. Of the older tables, they are all good and unique. My favs are probably Earth Defense and Excalibur.

#49 ·
I see where the person leading the tournament has 4 billion.
That has to take several days to get that high of a score. My fingers can't play that long.

Sent friends request to the new players here. For those that don't know, DanverJ is the Pinball Wizard of AVS.

If you scored more than a billion on any of the tables, please disregard the friends request.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.