Forum Jump: 
 24Likes

post #1 of 334 Old 10-27-2010, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 44
There is an update to Pinball FX on arcade. FX2. It is a free download and will let you play your old tables. They updated the graphics on the old tables. You can also get new achievements on those old tables. You can also purchase 4 new tables for 800 MS points. It seems to play better. Not sure how I like the ball trail but overall it is a pretty well made upgrade. There is also multi-player and new leaderboard. It also has a feature called Superscore which gives you a ranking based on playing all of the tables.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 334 Old 10-27-2010, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
here is the download link on xbox.com
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Pr...0a23?cid=SLink

321.3 MB download

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't ban me bro!"

post #3 of 334 Old 10-27-2010, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 442
...and it's AWESOME.

I only had time to play the first two of the new tables, but that was enough to know I'm going to be playing this A LOT.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming?
post #4 of 334 Old 10-27-2010, 11:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 497
how is the physics compared to the first version of pinball fx?

i play the williams collection a lot and it's awesome.
post #5 of 334 Old 10-28-2010, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

how is the physics compared to the first version of pinball fx?

i play the williams collection a lot and it's awesome.

I also played Williams a lot (got addicted to Funhouse), and the physics in FX2 is right in line with that.

If FX2 could get licensed tables, it would top Williams because of it's awesome leaderboard and friends list support.

With that said, the 4 new FX2 tables look and play great, and have features and special effects that couldn't exist on a real table... but the game still feels like playing real pinball. And the old FX "1" tables have been tweaked and look better and play better with (seemingly?) improved physics.

Might be too early to tell, but I'm thinking this is the best non-real pinball I've played.

post #6 of 334 Old 10-28-2010, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 91
650 achievement points? They're treating it like game night. Cool. I didn't like how the new tables stopped having achievement points (and was pissed that Zen Pinball was getting moar new tables!)

Your mom is a classy lady!

/ 

post #7 of 334 Old 10-29-2010, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I can't even come close to my high scores on the old tables. I had over 100 million on each of the classic tables and now I have yet to get even close on them. To me that is a great improvement. Just getting the free download of the game and using the old tables puts more life into it. The new tables are well worth the price of admission though. After a couple of days, my hands are pretty tired. This will once again be my go to game when I just want a quick playing session. Worst performance: I had over 374 million on The Buccaneer table and now have 5 million in FX2.

If anyone wants to try the game over Xbox Live I am willing to give it a try. Add WVU Mntneers and we can give it a go over the weekend. I have yet to try it but 4 at a time can play. I have all 13 tables but we can always go back to the old tables if that is what the majority has.
post #8 of 334 Old 10-29-2010, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbe View Post

If anyone wants to try the game over Xbox Live I am willing to give it a try. Add WVU Mntneers and we can give it a go over the weekend. I have yet to try it but 4 at a time can play. I have all 13 tables but we can always go back to the old tables if that is what the majority has.

Friends Request sent (DaverJ). Although I'm not much for competitive playing, sorry. I want some more leaderboard challenges... so far almost no one from AVS on my Friends List is playing FX2, and those that are don't have very high scores. I barely played the game and am listed as the "King of the Pinball", a title I certainly don't deserve.

Common AVSers! I know there's more pinball fans out there - you should be playing this game!!!!

post #9 of 334 Old 10-29-2010, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

Friends Request sent (DaverJ). Although I'm not much for competitive playing, sorry. I want some more leaderboard challenges... so far almost no one from AVS on my Friends List is playing FX2, and those that are don't have very high scores. I barely played the game and am listed as the "King of the Pinball", a title I certainly don't deserve.

Common AVSers! I know there's more pinball fans out there - you should be playing this game!!!!

I really wish they'd get licensed tables for this. I love pinball, and really loved the Williams collection. I haven't played much of this, yet (or Pinball FX 1 for that matter). Which tables do you think are the best? My favorite real pinball machines are Star Trek TNG and The Addams Family, if that helps.
post #10 of 334 Old 10-29-2010, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I'll get to this game sometime in 2012 when I'm bored with Rock Band 3... and I'm really looking forward to it!

/ 

post #11 of 334 Old 10-29-2010, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrisg View Post

Which tables do you think are the best? My favorite real pinball machines are Star Trek TNG and The Addams Family, if that helps.

The FX2 game is free, and allows trial play on all tables. The four FX2 tables are great - not licensed but still a lot of fun. They are available together as a package (800 points I think). They are the first 4 tables on the list.... the first one - Secrets of the Deep - is the only one I've played more than a couple rounds on, and it's a blast... the others are of the same quality.

Also, the tables from FX1 play well too - Earth Defense is my current favorite.

post #12 of 334 Old 10-29-2010, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

I still wish someone could get rights to do all the great licensed games of the past. Those were awesome like Terminator 2 or Addams Family. The Simpsons. Star Trek TNG.

I especially liked the pinball games that had a mini video game in it.

My friends started showing me the virtual pinball machines where you have a pinball cabinet with real pinball controls, using LCD monitors as your playing field and marquee. they even emulate the pinball ROMs. very cool stuff.

post #13 of 334 Old 10-29-2010, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

I could swear you were playing this when I got on the Xbox a week or two ago. I went to try and download it at the time and couldn't figure out how. Didn't realize that the release date was Oct 27. You must have been playing FX1 and I somehow read it as FX2.

I'll try to check out the new tables this weekend. I am sure that I am worse than you.

Xbox/PS/WiiU gamertag: GoNats
Apple Game Center: iGoNats

post #14 of 334 Old 10-30-2010, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbburns View Post

You must have been playing FX1 and I somehow read it as FX2.

Yeah, the game was scheduled to be released earlier in Oct. but was delayed, so I was chomping at the bit and playing FX1.

A fellow AVSer scored over 41 million on the Rocky and Bullwinkle table in FX2, which is pretty crazy. There must be some strategy to getting that high (other than not loosing the ball ), cause I can't even get to half that no matter how hard I try.

UPDATE: Just scored over 45 mil on Rocky and Bullwinkle. The tricky thing about this table is it's so long, a lot of the good shots at the top of the table are hidden when in scrolling view. Also, because they are so high, getting them just right is hard. Of course someone just added me to their Friends List and he has 60+ mil. Is this someone lurking in this thread?

post #15 of 334 Old 11-01-2010, 07:14 AM

was buying a bunch of stuff this weekend for the spend 2400 and get 800 points back deal. I was very close to buying the street fighter 2 table. demo was fun, but my suckitude at pinball kept me from buying this.

if I do change my mind, I know the pinball app is free and the tables are the cost.... so I could just own the street fighter table only for 200 points? or do they require you to buy the base come with the game tables at any point?
post #16 of 334 Old 11-01-2010, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck-a-sauras View Post

was buying a bunch of stuff this weekend for the spend 2400 and get 800 points back deal. I was very close to buying the street fighter 2 table. demo was fun, but my suckitude at pinball kept me from buying this.

if I do change my mind, I know the pinball app is free and the tables are the cost.... so I could just own the street fighter table only for 200 points? or do they require you to buy the base come with the game tables at any point?

I believe that's how it works... Pinball FX 2 is the "platform", and I don't think they require you to own the new FX 2 tables to play the old ones. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

SFII is a good table - get it and add "DaverJ" to your friends list for leaderboards - see if you can top my high score, which is pretty good for that table. If you do, send me a challenge.

post #17 of 334 Old 11-03-2010, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Thanks OP, I didn't know about this and the FX2 platform is indeed pretty awesome. I think I'll end up buying a few of these tables, but adding it up I notice it's gonna be pretty pricey to own a bunch of the tables versus say the Williams Collection.

XBOX 360 - KrazeeEyezKeith

PS4 - KrazeeKeith

post #18 of 334 Old 11-04-2010, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's a good review on GameSpot.

Pull-out quote:

..."what all of the tables have in common is that they look and sound great, they behave realistically, and they get a little better every time another of your friends shows up on the robust leaderboard system."

hint hint...

I played two rounds of multiplayer today, something extremely uncharacteristic for me because I freak out playing on-line. But I took 2nd out of 4 on the first try (Nightmare Mansion, first to 1mil), and first place out of 4 on the second round (Tales from the Deep, first to 10mil). Good times.., I might actually play some more on-line.

post #19 of 334 Old 11-08-2010, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracat View Post
Thanks OP, I didn't know about this and the FX2 platform is indeed pretty awesome. I think I'll end up buying a few of these tables, but adding it up I notice it's gonna be pretty pricey to own a bunch of the tables versus say the Williams Collection.
+2.... didnt know about it either. Got it queued to download.

Man, that video for the Vitrual Pinball machine is awesome! I think I may have found my next project.
post #20 of 334 Old 11-10-2010, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Great post! I added it to my queue to download when I get home from work.
post #21 of 334 Old 11-10-2010, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsrule View Post

+2.... didnt know about it either. Got it queued to download.

Man, that video for the Vitrual Pinball machine is awesome! I think I may have found my next project.

when I saw the guy scroll through the list of pinball games he had for that cabinet, I saw The Simpsons.

man, if I had money to burn, I'd definitely do this. hard to justify buying huge LCDs and have a dedicated PC just to do this. I guess when you're not playing pinball, you could do web browsing or some light MS Word work but that orientation is not conducive to doing long periods of work. I do have some old computers (Pentium 4) that just do web browsing at this point. maybe they're powerful enough for this stuff.

If MS decides to commercialize the Surface for regular populations, I think pinball could be a killer app.
post #22 of 334 Old 11-12-2010, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Man, "player matches" are easy, but "ranked matches".... yikes!

It helps to understand how these are played: the ones I've tried are usually a score race (first to 10 million, for example), a time limit (highest score after 10 minutes), or both, whichever comes first. More importantly, there's the penalty percentage - a portion of your score is lost if you loose a ball. This can be from 5% to 100%!

I've played in 25%, 50% and 100% penalty matches, not really understanding the ramifications of the penalty. I believe the strategy on a high penalty/timed match is to get as good of a score as possible, and hold the ball with a locked flipper and watch what the other guy is doing (a progress bar is in the upper left) while waiting for the timer to run out. If the opponent's score isn't increasing, chances are he's doing the same... so if I'm behind I better start racking up points.

Untimed first-to-Xmillion matches seem to be a contest of who can get to multiball first.

So far I haven't won a single ranked match, so my TrueSkill number is a whopping "1".

Anyone else playing ranked matches and have some strategy to share?

post #23 of 334 Old 11-12-2010, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Peoples, please add me for when I finally get around to playing this more!

/ 

post #24 of 334 Old 11-15-2010, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Almost as awesome as the Street Fighter table: http://kotaku.com/5690249/marvel-pin...to-silver-ball

/ 

post #25 of 334 Old 11-15-2010, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThru22 View Post

Almost as awesome as the Street Fighter table: http://kotaku.com/5690249/marvel-pin...to-silver-ball

just, wow. wow. the marvel tables look fabulous.

post #26 of 334 Old 11-15-2010, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Finally bought some tables. These are really great. Also I suck compared to you guys.
post #27 of 334 Old 11-20-2010, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

You gotta step up DaverJ. I've taken advantage of the tables you don't have high scores on. Now I'm #1 of my 3 friends on Buccaneer, Pasha & Nightmare Mansion. I feel like I've finally done something with my life
post #28 of 334 Old 11-20-2010, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrisg View Post

You gotta step up DaverJ. I've taken advantage of the tables you don't have high scores on. Now I'm #1 of my 3 friends on Buccaneer, Pasha & Nightmare Mansion. I feel like I've finally done something with my life

Give me the Pasha table and I'll let you have Nightmare Mansion. We'll battle over Buccaneer.

post #29 of 334 Old 11-21-2010, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ

Give me the Pasha table and I'll let you have Nightmare Mansion. We'll battle over Buccaneer.
Looks like you don't need me to give it back I'm not sure I can top that score.

Has anyone found a view other than 1 they really like?
post #30 of 334 Old 11-22-2010, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah I play on view 6 or 7, whichever one shows the whole table.

I still haven't even bought the new tables. I'm having too much fun playing on the remixed tables. Rocky and Bullwinkle looks like it was almost completely redesigned. It's now on par with all of the other tables.

/ 

Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page