no power supply or usb adapter for kinect for NON XBOX 360 SLIM owners - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 11-07-2010, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So i bought the Xbox 360 slim bundle with kinect today and without knowing that that bundle doesnt come with a Power supply and usb adapter for the Kinect itself so you can use it with the white xbox 360 because if you have the Xbox 360 slim you do NOT need a seperate power supply for the kinect nor a USB adapter as there is a special Kinect Port on the back of the new Xbox 360 Slim.

I didnt buy the kinect for myself, i was planing on giving it for my brother but now he cant use it cuz theres no way for him to power the kinect on his white xbox 360. what are my options? I do not want the kinect for myself.

Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-07-2010, 09:01 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa View Post

So i bought the Xbox 360 slim bundle with kinect today and without knowing that that bundle doesnt come with a Power supply and usb adapter for the Kinect itself so you can use it with the white xbox 360 because if you have the Xbox 360 slim you do NOT need a seperate power supply for the kinect nor a USB adapter as there is a special Kinect Port on the back of the new Xbox 360 Slim.

I didnt buy the kinect for myself, i was planing on giving it for my brother but now he cant use it cuz theres no way for him to power the kinect on his white xbox 360. what are my options? I do not want the kinect for myself.

Thanks guys

Yeah, MS really screwed over those of us that picked up the S bundles... The least they could have done was ship us out the power supply "free of charge" by showing them we had an older console.

Anyway, here's the link to the power supply on the MS store:

http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft...oduct/9A4CFC08
post #3 of 16 Old 11-07-2010, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
One of the reasons they can price break the bundle is that they have to put less money into it.

I dont know why it's so hard to understand.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #4 of 16 Old 11-08-2010, 04:51 AM
Advanced Member

^agreed with formula. at best ms just didnt label the combo box properly. maybe they should just put out a big ol sticker saying "We're selling this as a bundle cause we want you to play this kinect camera with this console!".

plus you're already saving $50 off the price of a kinect camera alone... use that $50 to buy the power supply! just saying!
post #5 of 16 Old 11-08-2010, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Face View Post

^agreed with formula. at best ms just didnt label the combo box properly. maybe they should just put out a big ol sticker saying "We're selling this as a bundle cause we want you to play this kinect camera with this console!".

plus you're already saving $50 off the price of a kinect camera alone... use that $50 to buy the power supply! just saying!

Yes, but then why not just buy the Holiday bundle and Kinect separatly? That way you get 2 games and the power supply. The whole point of a bundle is that is should be of more value than buying things individually.

I totally understand the rational, in that the majority of people who buy the bundle, have no need for the power supply as the S will supply it. But I look at it as an oversight, and to then ask people to pay $50 for the powersupply is a little ridiculous. At most they could have offered the powersupply for free + charge people $10 for S&H or something. All you have to do is supply serial numbers of your non S Xbox's. They used to give free transfer cables before that way a few years ago.

On the flip side, people who already had a S Xbox, and then buy the Kinect, will have no use for the power. Only if there was some way to hook up those people with people that want the power.......

Xbox and PS3 Gamertag = Xerostomia
Wii = I'm too lazy to get the number
post #6 of 16 Old 11-08-2010, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

^ you are also correct. ms coulda gone that route and offered the adaptor as a free (minus S+H) mail-out.

i done a quick search on ebay and craigslist and it looks like no-one is parting with their power supplies right now. i would offer up creating a thread here on xbox avs for those people who dont need it and those whose want it, much like we did with the transfer cables and cd's, but i quickly see that thread degenerating into a free-for-all with lots of shouting and arm pulling. especially since that power supply wont be a one time use thing.
post #7 of 16 Old 11-08-2010, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_In_FL View Post

Yeah, MS really screwed over those of us that picked up the S bundles...

No, they didn't. You simply expected something that you had no real reason to have expected to be included.

PSN/XBL: bassmonkeee
Wii number: Who cares?
post #8 of 16 Old 11-08-2010, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Hey guess what, these bundles are intended for people who don't have a 360 hence not needing a power adapter for an old system.

Go figure.

PSN - nnarum
post #9 of 16 Old 11-08-2010, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by deveng View Post
I totally understand the rational, in that the majority of people who buy the bundle, have no need for the power supply as the S will supply it. But I look at it as an oversight, and to then ask people to pay $50 for the powersupply is a little ridiculous.
It's $32 on the MS site.

This won't affect a lot of people. People that buy the complete bundle don't need it. Usually people don't buy that bundle and then use it on an old system. And the projector crowd is tiny.
post #10 of 16 Old 11-09-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnarum23 View Post

Hey guess what, these bundles are intended for people who don't have a 360 hence not needing a power adapter for an old system.

Go figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmonkeee View Post

No, they didn't. You simply expected something that you had no real reason to have expected to be included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Face View Post

My frustration comes from the fact that PRIOR to pre-ordering, I asked XBox Support reps multiple times if the 250GB S / Kinect bundle would come with the power adapter needed to use Kinect on my other, older consoles. EACH time I was told "YES".

I asked via the XBox forums (and got responses from MS support reps). I called in to 800-4-my-xbox (twice) and I even asked via Twitter @XboxSupport...

So - that is where my particular frustration comes from. I was *not* looking to save a buck by buying a bundle. All of the standalone Kinect pre-orders were sold out everywhere, so the only option left was the bundle.

Knowing that I would need the power supply for my other 360's, I started asking through their various support channels. Like I say - I asked multiple times because each time they gave me what felt like wishy-washy script answers. But, seeing as they all came back and said yes, I went ahead w/ the Amazon pre-order.

Late Wed, after the order shipped, the first unboxing video actually showed up on Youtube (250gb unboxing) and that was when I noticed it did not have the power supply.

At that point I went back to XBox Support to see what I could do to get a power supply - because at that time (late Wed and early Thurs) they were not even offering the power supply for sale separately. Initially they're only answer was that I'd have to send the bundle back once it arrived and then buy each separately.

Eventually, after having the calls escalated, I was able to talk them in to selling me a power supply. BUT, before they would do so, they wanted me to wait for my bundle to arrive so that they could verify the serial numbers of both the console and the kinect.

My point is, as long as they were verifying serial numbers, they could have verified the other consoles in my home and worked with me a little. Like I say, I couldn't even get them to overnight the power supply to me (on my dime!!).

So, yes, it was (still is cuz I have no power supply yet) pretty frustrating. At a minimum, they can add a little disclaimer to their bundle pages saying that a power supply will be required to use on older consoles, because on the kinect pages they specifically call out that you can use the kinect on older consoles.

Look, if you had done your due diligence ahead of time, went straight to the source(s) to confirm, and then found out - after dropping $400 - that you didn't get what you expected, you wouldn't be a little annoyed?

Come on...

It was poor customer support all around by MS on this one...
post #11 of 16 Old 11-09-2010, 11:17 AM

Judging by the fact that the power supply is now SOLD OUT on the MS Store, and articles regarding the issue on CNet and Joystiq, it looks like there are plenty of customers all in the same boat.
post #12 of 16 Old 11-09-2010, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_In_FL View Post

It was poor customer support all around by MS on this one...

No, you just weren't the target audience for this bundle from MS. Which is why they sell it separate for those who ALREADY have a 360.

Why would they include a power supply for an older version of the console you just bought?

I don't see how this is hard to understand.

PSN - nnarum
post #13 of 16 Old 11-09-2010, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

There are multiple scenarios where a power supply is required (using with an older Xbox, long cable lenghts, inability to access the rear 'special' USB port), etc. The sad part is that it is a simple Y connector attached to a thin wire attached to the power. It probably costs at the very most $1 to make, and likely they have made millions already. For the most part MS customer service has been very good and you figure that if there were maybe < 1% of people who buy the bundle that need the adaptor they would work with you and make sure you get it. I bet they really did not expect many existing Xbox owners to buy the bundle as a second (third) Xbox, even though on the flip side they are doing things like family plans etc. because there are multi-xbox families out their.

post #14 of 16 Old 11-09-2010, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnarum23 View Post

No, you just weren't the target audience for this bundle from MS. Which is why they sell it separate for those who ALREADY have a 360.

Why would they include a power supply for an older version of the console you just bought?

I don't see how this is hard to understand.

Its not hard to understand. He went out of his way and phoned, emailed, twittered etc, MS support for days prior to the launch and he was either told that the bundle did include the power supply, or they did not know for sure, but suspected that it would. He was even told that the Kinect that came with the bundle was the same package as the stand alone Kinect. MS told him wrong information, and he spent $400 and found out the hard way that the power was not included. The frustration is not that the power was not included, it is in the fact that he was told that it was included, and then he found out that it was not. Instead of returning the bundle, he went the extra mile and requested to buy the cable for $50, which almost a week later he still has not recieved. I see this as poor custormer service, first by providing false information, and then not getting him the required part quick enough, even when he offered to pay for next day delivery.

I have a Fisher Paykel washing machine that I bought 12 years ago. When we moved 5 years latter, the mover dented the lid. I wanted a new lid so called Fisher Paykel up and requested another lid. I offered to pay for it. They said do not worry about it, and next day delivered a new lid. The lid probably cost $40 to buy. Thats customer service.

post #15 of 16 Old 11-28-2010, 09:03 AM

Count me in the same boat.

I saw the bundle as a great way to get a wireless Xbox for my son's room, and put the Kinect in the living room for the family on the old hard wired xbox.

Based on the adapter being out of stock on the MS store, I'd say that there are more than the estimated <1% in the boat as well.
post #16 of 16 Old 11-28-2010, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page