No audio from new Xbox 360 w/HDMI on new Insignia TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 44 Old 11-09-2010, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a brand new Xbox 360 (smaller black model) and I got a TV on Sunday (2 days ago) - Insignia NS-46L550A11. I have the Xbox connected via HDMI.

I bought the off-brand TV basically because....the price was just too good to pass up. I am happy with it other than this problem with sound from the xbox.

I haven't figured out the pattern yet - but it seems intermittently I don't get audio via the HDMI, playing from the TV. For games, I seem to get nothing, unless I do a "reset audio" on the xbox by holding down the Y button and right trigger on boot. That seems to wake it up. But this is not acceptable to do every time...

For DVD, even when the Xbox makes sounds on boot (the swoosh sound, and the sounds of selecting menu options, etc.) once a DVD goes in - no sound.

I also have a DVR plugged in via HDMI and it works reliably - every time. No issue there. I have tried a different HDMI port. Didn't help.

I ran an optical cable directly to my reciever which works fine... nice. But I rarely have the receiver on - I want sound going through the TV most of the time.

I have turned off display discovery on the Xbox, and I haven't tested any games yet - but the DVD definitely didn't work.

I had reservations about getting an Insignia TV, but a 1080i 120Hz LCD for $650 was just too good a deal, and I needed the TV soon due to the new Kinect/Xbox bundle - need the space the flat panel gives me for Kinect.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
-Glenn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 11-09-2010, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Hi Glenn, curious if your have the Xbox 360 audio set to DD 5.1 Surround? If so, try switching it over to stereo.
post #3 of 44 Old 11-09-2010, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Hmm, I did try that - didn't seem to matter. But I think tonight when I get home I have to try several things in an orderly way. Thanks
post #4 of 44 Old 11-09-2010, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Might be a bad cable, swap em out if you can. Sounds like you have 2 of them.

Here to help and learn. Thanks AVS.
XBL: HoosierInOhio

post #5 of 44 Old 11-09-2010, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Hmm. This is going to sound silly - but I had taken for granted that "bad cable" was something that tech support people told me beacuse they didn't know what the real problem was - is it really possible that a bad cable coudl cause this?

The cables I am using are both brand spanking new, I bought the inexpensive (i.e. retail, extortion prices anyway) $60 2-pack of Insignia brand cables. I have some from monoprice on order for much less, I may bring these back.

but really, is it possible the cable could be causing video but no audio?

Thanks
-Glenn
post #6 of 44 Old 11-09-2010, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwa View Post

Hmm. This is going to sound silly - but I had taken for granted that "bad cable" was something that tech support people told me beacuse they didn't know what the real problem was - is it really possible that a bad cable coudl cause this?

The cables I am using are both brand spanking new, I bought the inexpensive (i.e. retail, extortion prices anyway) $60 2-pack of Insignia brand cables. I have some from monoprice on order for much less, I may bring these back.

Thanks
-Glenn

Yeah.

Just swap them between devices. If you know one works, then try it to the xbox. If it doesn't work, you can probably rule out the cable

post #7 of 44 Old 11-09-2010, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

OK, I will give that a try tonight. Can't hurt to try. I was just thinking, all the cables out there are probably the same - not a complicated item!!
post #8 of 44 Old 11-09-2010, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK, I will give that a try tonight. Can't hurt to try. I was just thinking, all the cables out there are probably the same - not a complicated item!!

I had a cheap cable company HDMI not work, and then replaced it with a monoprice one I had lying around that did work.

post #9 of 44 Old 11-09-2010, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks
-Glenn

Wow, you consider HDMI cables for $30 each, cheap?
I got my last HDMI cable for $.99 cents and it has worked just fine for me.
post #10 of 44 Old 11-09-2010, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

I don't consider them cheap - just cheap compared to what ELSE Best Buy sells. It is, as I said, retail extortion!
post #11 of 44 Old 11-09-2010, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

And thanks, Dobiek1!
post #12 of 44 Old 11-10-2010, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

I experimented some more. I locked the Xbox into Digital Stereo and it seemed to work great. Meda Center works great. I hear sound and can watch home videos made from my point-and-shoot digital camera. But when putting in a DVD, it doesn't work - no audio. Oddly, last night, it DID work. Which is why I didn't try out the new cable I bought on the way home - thought it was working 8-O Anyone have any ideas? It does seem that when the xbox plays video (or possibly, some games too) the video settings change to something the TV can't handle.

I set it up and played Kinect Adventures last night - and all seemed to be well. This morning, I figured, let me try it again - turned on TV on HDMI 1 (STB) and then powered up Xbox (have to do this after turning on TV as otherwise HDMI 2 is not detected).

After Xbox light is on, switch to HDMI 2. Xbox boots. Got the sound effects from browsing Xbox menu and from Media Center.

Put in DVD - no sound :-(

When I have more time tonight, I'll try the other cable - but is this enough of a hint for anyone to have any ideas? It appears that when the DVD is playing, there's a different output stream (maybe, different format?) that the TV doesn't understand. And I can't change it - it's already locked in on the Xbox to Digital Stereo.

Are others running Xbox with just a single HDMI cable (i.e. no separate audio)? Is this SUPPOSED to work, or am I banging my head against the wall?

I can still return the TV, but obviously that's a problem for a number of reasons, not the least of which is, there doesn't seem to be another TV in this price range. LG is the biggest TV manafacturer on the planet, so this TV should not be total junk - I can accept it ain't the best one out there, but other than this audio problem, it seems good enough.

Thanks
-Glenn
post #13 of 44 Old 11-10-2010, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I experimented some more. I locked the Xbox into Digital Stereo and it seemed to work great. Meda Center works great. I hear sound and can watch home videos made from my point-and-shoot digital camera. But when putting in a DVD, it doesn't work - no audio. Oddly, last night, it DID work. Which is why I didn't try out the new cable I bought on the way home - thought it was working 8-O Anyone have any ideas? It does seem that when the xbox plays video (or possibly, some games too) the video settings change to something the TV can't handle.

I set it up and played Kinect Adventures last night - and all seemed to be well. This morning, I figured, let me try it again - turned on TV on HDMI 1 (STB) and then powered up Xbox (have to do this after turning on TV as otherwise HDMI 2 is not detected).

After Xbox light is on, switch to HDMI 2. Xbox boots. Got the sound effects from browsing Xbox menu and from Media Center.

When I have more time tonight, I'll try the other cable - but is this enough of a hint for anyone to have any ideas? It appears that when the DVD is playing, there's a different output stream (maybe, different format?) that the TV doesn't understand. And I can't change it - it's already locked in on the Xbox to Digital Stereo.

Are others running Xbox with just a single HDMI cable (i.e. no separate audio)? Is this SUPPOSED to work, or am I banging my head against the wall?

I can still return the TV, but obviously that's a problem for a number of reasons, not the least of which is, there doesn't seem to be another TV in this price range. LG is the biggest TV manafacturer on the planet, so this TV should not be total junk - I can accept it ain't the best one out there, but other than this audio problem, it seems good enough.

Thanks
-Glenn

OK, how is it all connected? (for example XBOX>AVR>TV or XBOX>TV) etc.

And when you say DVD, are saying playing a DVD from the xbox or a different player?

post #14 of 44 Old 11-10-2010, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

It is connected as Xbox->TV (via HDMI).

And by DVD, I stuck Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom into the Xbox and hit "play DVD".

Thanks
post #15 of 44 Old 11-10-2010, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

On the DVD menu, is there audio option on the menus and if so, select stereo as well. Not sure if the DVD's default to DD, in which case your TV may reject it. Also check your TV's audio options to see if it has settings on what it can accept.

Also, are there different DVD settings on the xbox? I can't recall, I thought it was DD or Stereo and it didn't matter (game/DVD).

post #16 of 44 Old 11-10-2010, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks
-Glenn

Hi Glenn, when playing the DVD is there an audio menu in the disc track?
post #17 of 44 Old 11-10-2010, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

I am not sure about that particular disc. I'll take a look!!

Thanks
post #18 of 44 Old 11-10-2010, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

OK - I'm starting to get a feel for what's going on.

* From a cold boot, Xbox works fine and sound through TV works. Set it for Digital Stereo and all is well.

* Inserting a DVD that utilizes Dolby Digital sound causes Xbox to change to Dolby Digital, which TV doesn't support.

* Removing said DVD does NOT make Xbox switch back to 2-channel stereo.

* Only way to get the sound back through HDMI is a reboot of the Xbox.

Anyone know if this is expected behavior? It's a bummer to have to use the reciever for sound watching DVDs where we don't need the "home theater experience".

Also - QUESTION - are any games Dolby Digital only? If so, I'll probably have a problem there, too...

Thanks
-Glenn
post #19 of 44 Old 11-10-2010, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK - I'm starting to get a feel for what's going on.

* Removing said DVD does NOT make Xbox switch back to 2-channel stereo.

* Only way to get the sound back through HDMI is a reboot of the Xbox.

Thanks
-Glenn

Instead of rebooting the Xbox, in the Xbox audio menu try just changing from Stereo to DD 5.1 and back to Stereo.
post #20 of 44 Old 11-10-2010, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post
Instead of rebooting the Xbox, in the Xbox audio menu try just changing from Stereo to DD 5.1 and back to Stereo.
Yes, that works too. So.. any hope for this?

Thanks
-Glenn
post #21 of 44 Old 11-10-2010, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes, that works too. So.. any hope for this?

Thanks
-Glenn
IMHO, no.

Suggest either returning the tv and get a different one or take Xbox 360 to the store and test on another Insignia NS-46L550A11 (you may have a possible defective unit).
post #22 of 44 Old 11-10-2010, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
IMHO, no.

Suggest either returning the tv and get a different one or take Xbox 360 to the store and test on another Insignia NS-46L550A11 (you may have a possible defective unit).
So... I guess the REAL question is - since this appears to be what the Xbox is supposed to be doing (called Microsoft) - do OTHER TVs take a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal and dumb it down to 2-channel stereo?

In other words, are you SURE other TVs could conceivably handle this?

Thanks
-Glenn
post #23 of 44 Old 11-10-2010, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So... I guess the REAL question is - since this appears to be what the Xbox is supposed to be doing (called Microsoft) - do OTHER TVs take a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal and dumb it down to 2-channel stereo?

In other words, are you SURE other TVs could conceivably handle this?

Thanks
-Glenn
Own a Panasonic 58PZ800u and it accepts DD 5.1 and Stereo from Xbox 360, PS3 and Cable Box with no problem.

Another possible work around if you really want to keep the tv is to get a Xbox 360 A/V dongle and connect RCA (red & white) cables to tv (if tv has RCA Audio connection).
post #24 of 44 Old 11-10-2010, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, JChin. Does your Panasonic accept those signals directly over HDMI? If so - that's a pretty convincing data point that I'd be happier with a different TV.

Thanks
-Glenn
post #25 of 44 Old 11-10-2010, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, JChin. Does your Panasonic accept those signals directly over HDMI? If so - that's a pretty convincing data point that I'd be happier with a different TV.

Thanks
-Glenn
Yes it does, but guess what I found in the process of seeing if your tv accepts RCA inputs.

Wow, read this here. This should proves my first recommendation, get a different tv .

From Community@Insignia discussion forum.

Quote:
Re: NS-46L550A​11 audio problem.Options
08-06-2010 10:38 AM

Hello all,

Welcome to Community@Insignia!

If you are getting sound sometimes and sometimes not, this will be (most provably) and issue with settings. Although this TV is a HDTV, as far as Video goes, it will be capable of reproducing stereo sound. This problems will appear when the signal sent has HD sound of some kind. This will appear when a device (Xbox, DVD player or receiver) is set for HD audio, but no HD audio cable is used or, the device connected (in this case the TV), is only stereo capable and you set the signal for 5.1.

In order to solve this, on the audio settings, you will need to set STEREO as audio output since no other setting will be played. Also, on the Xbox, be sure you are only using HDMI output and that the AV cable or digital audio output are not connected at the same time as the HDMI cable. Regarding receivers or other devices connected, you will need to check on this same settings, since incorrect audio output (a not compatible one) will be shown as no audio at all (the player will play stereo sound but when the source is 5.1 and needs to do a downconvert the signal it won't with the resulting problems).

I would ask you to check on your audio settings

If it was useful, and you liked it, Kudo it!

Thank you,
Gonza
Insignia Support Team
post #26 of 44 Old 11-10-2010, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes it does, but guess what I found in the process of seeing if your tv accepts RCA inputs.

Wow, read this here. This should proves my first recommendation, get a different tv .

From Community@Insignia discussion forum.
Er... um... OH FUDGE.

This pretty much confirms what I was suspecting. This TV simply can't downconvert a DD5.1 signal to play over the stereo speakers.

And... the next question then... how on earth can I determine which TVs are capable of this - and which are not? Insignia is made by LG, which is the biggest TV maker on the planet. I made an assumption that the TV was of a certain level of quality. Ouch.

(I may have to step down to 42 inches to get something else in this price range... hmm... or get a 720P plasma, which seems like a bad idea with the Xbox, I htink I want/need the resolution)

*sigh*

I guess you get what you pay for.

Bummer.
post #27 of 44 Old 11-10-2010, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 435
I picked up the NS-42E570A11 LED 120hz model from Best Buy. I am currently deployed and mailed the display the day before I left. Hopefully I won't have any problems when I hook up my 360 and PS3.

The 5.0 is here
post #28 of 44 Old 11-11-2010, 02:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

I have two Panasonic sets that are capable of accepting a 5.1 signal and down converting to stereo. One is plasma, the other is lcd. Just throwing out some info in case you were looking at getting a new set.
post #29 of 44 Old 11-11-2010, 04:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the data point, ogbuehi
post #30 of 44 Old 11-11-2010, 04:33 AM

Liked: 31
First of all I use to work in a magnolia bestbuy, and Insignia is NOT MADE BY OR OWNED BY LG. Infact some of the 50" plasmas use Samsung Parts.

Secondly not all Insignia Tv's share this problem I have a 42" plasma from them that i gave to my parents that works with xbox perfectly EVERYTIME.

But I do Agree with this Model Not Being Able to Accept Dolby Digital 5.1. So Shop Around and Read Reviews, But im Sure You can find another Tv in your Budget that is Capable for what you want.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page