Need new router for xbox, please help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-24-2010, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I looked around the forums here and found some similar topics to mine but not much current (within the last year), and with new technology out Im hoping to get some current advice/recommendations.

I have been making tweaks to my home network to attempt optimize my xbox gaming experience (COD: Black Ops), while still provide acceptable wireless service for my family - they mostly just surf the internet but occasionally they stream netflix as well. I just bought a Motorolla SB6120 cable modem because DOCSIS 3.0 is rumored to be in the experimental phase in our area and I wanted to be ready for it when it debuts.
Now I am looking for a good router to match it with. I need something that will ideally give me low pings (or at least not make them worse), give me QoS to prioritize my [hardwired] xbox's bandwidth needs (is that necessary if Im hardwired?), and has enough wireless range to cover a 2200 square ft house for my various family members' laptops. Ive seen alot of concerning information on various routers regarding bad firmware updates, setup problems straight out of the box, wireless range issues... can you recommend a router that meets my needs and will be simple to set-up but still allows some customizations like QoS? Any light shed on this is appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-24-2010, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Oh I forgot to mention my budget - Im looking for something under $100.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-24-2010, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmario View Post

oh i forgot to mention my budget - im looking for something under $100.

get the netgear wndr3400 at best buy on black friday. Its 10 bones cheaper than anywhere online at that point. Its wireless but you can use it as a wired router too. Nothing but positive reviews on this router.
post #4 of 5 Old 11-24-2010, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by whityfrd View Post

get the netgear wndr3400 at best buy on black friday. Its 10 bones cheaper than anywhere online at that point. Its wireless but you can use it as a wired router too. Nothing but positive reviews on this router.

I've got the Netgear as well and it's never given me any issues. The only other router I'd endorse is the Apple Airport Extreme, which can usually be found used on Ebay and Craigslist for around $100.

BTW - Don't forget though that the secret to getting XBL to play well with your router is to set up port-forwarding your 360 on your router or better yet assign it to the DMZ. You can also take the extra step of prioritizing traffic through your router in the router's setup interface so that your 360's data gets preferential treatment when you are gaming.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-25-2010, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

I ended up getting the WNR3500L. You guys pointed me in the right direction but in the description of the WNDR3400 on amazon it has a comparison chart of this whole family of netgear's routers and the WNR3500L seemed to better suit my needs, and I got it for $77. Its also open source so if netgear's firmware updates end up stinking in the future like Ive heard they have on previous models I can go look into dd-wrt or tomato or something like that if I want to tweak my router more.

I know nothing about open source router apps, so it will be fun figuring it all out

thx again
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page