post #61 of 16247 Old 02-07-2011, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobieck1 View Post

Battlefield 3 will release this Fall. You can preorder the Battlefield 3 Limited Edition at www.battlefield.com now. The exact contents of the Limited Edition will be revealed around GDC.

Looks like you can only pre-order for the PC as of now.

I'm loving the teaser trailer, that riff at the end sounds so sweet cranked up on my Klipsch's!

Xbox Live: oktober rust | Mii: 5207 2388 9861 4135 | Steam ID: detroit820 | Origin ID: oktoberrust11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 16247 Old 02-07-2011, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Played BF2 quite a bit and used to love it. Nothing beats being the Commander .

I also got really good flying (surprise, surprise). Actually got kicked from games because of it, which I thought was total BS. Haven't played a PC FPS since.
post #63 of 16247 Old 02-07-2011, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
All the talk of linking squads etc.. I wouldn't hold your breath. There really isn't anything they can do about it. They do however needs to fix the create/join squad options. You should be able to choose which squad you want to join. If i join a game with randoms I don't keep being put in the squad with the idiots at the bottom, let me join the squad up top that has open spots. Allow the squad leader to kick members from the squad. BRING IT BACK!
post #64 of 16247 Old 02-07-2011, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by htskinner View Post
All the talk of linking squads etc.. I wouldn't hold your breath. There really isn't anything they can do about it. They do however needs to fix the create/join squad options. You should be able to choose which squad you want to join. If i join a game with randoms I don't keep being put in the squad with the idiots at the bottom, let me join the squad up top that has open spots. Allow the squad leader to kick members from the squad. BRING IT BACK!
Aren't squads for BC2 on the PC a lot more flexible than 360/PS3? I recall when BC2 came out seeing a list of all the squads on one screen and being able to bounce between them if you want. Hopefully they incorporate that into BF3.

On another note, does BF2 still hold up now? Tempeted to pick it up, even though I haven't played a game on a PC in 10-15 years.

XBL & PSN - Harpua77
post #65 of 16247 Old 02-07-2011, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
I played BF2 in 2007 or so and no it did not really hold up unfortunately. There were still lots of bugs and glitches, and no widescreen support really made it look dated. The shooting also felt far inferior to other FPS games.
post #66 of 16247 Old 02-07-2011, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 685
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/07/ba...-24/#continued

While the Battlefield 3 pre-order text appearing on GameStop is almost identical to the text that briefly appeared on EA's own pre-order site, BF3Blog.com snagged the full copy from EA before it was stripped. While the GameStop text simply says that battles will be fought in "diverse locations from around the globe including Europe, Middle-East and North America," the original EA text was a bit more specific: "Paris, Tehran and New York." What that tells us is that Battlefield 3 will have some seriously urban environments, which is a good thing for the seemingly massive multiplayer levels.

While we've known that the PC version would support 64 players in its multiplayer component, Best Buy lists "massive 24-player online battles." Game Informer – which is hosting the reveal of the title via its March issue – lists the multilplayer component as supporting 64 players on PC and 24 on consoles, a not-unusual limitation for console face-shooting. And lastly, so long as you're here already, we wanted to share this video of Battlefield 3's Frostbite 2 engine busting out real-time radiosity using the Enlighten middleware toolkit. We're sure DICE will be highlighting the work it's put into this new engine, so consider this an early (and admittedly sedate) look at the tech behind BF3.
post #67 of 16247 Old 02-07-2011, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Out of curiousity, with dedicated servers why can't a console game support 64 players? There have been a few PS3 games that have had 64 (or 256 in case of MAG).

Is it because consoles lack enough processing power to prevent another area from taking a hit (graphics/framerate)? MAG's graphics were vanilla, but it does support 256 players in a mostly lag free environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post
I played BF2 in 2007 or so and no it did not really hold up unfortunately. There were still lots of bugs and glitches, and no widescreen support really made it look dated. The shooting also felt far inferior to other FPS games.
Thanks. Funny you say that about the bugs/glitches considering it's a game that seems to come off with high regards. Unfortunately, I've become an HD snob where I find it a struggle to play/watch something in 4:3 now.

XBL & PSN - Harpua77
post #68 of 16247 Old 02-07-2011, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

That video showing early tests of the Frostbite 2 engine was interesting. I can imagine having a battle on a road where you could shoot out all of the streetlights to blanket the area in darkness. Muzzle flashes going off and flares popping all over the place.

XBL: DallasAch
post #69 of 16247 Old 02-07-2011, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballen420 View Post
Aren't squads for BC2 on the PC a lot more flexible than 360/PS3? I recall when BC2 came out seeing a list of all the squads on one screen and being able to bounce between them if you want. Hopefully they incorporate that into BF3.

On another note, does BF2 still hold up now? Tempeted to pick it up, even though I haven't played a game on a PC in 10-15 years.
Harp I'm not sure about BC2 on pc to tell you the truth. I know BF2 was that way. It is such a useful utility I don't know why it isn't used more often. I think it has more to do with microsoft than dice/ea. The ability to kick others from your squad is just too much power apparently
post #70 of 16247 Old 02-07-2011, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, on the squads screen on the PC, there's squads Alpha through Foxtrot I believe that you can choose from. You can also lock a squad, so only certain people join your squad. A much better implementation of squads, for sure.

I dunno, maybe I'm partial, but I still hop on and play BF2 from time to time, looks good for a 6+ year old game, and still plenty of players.

Xbox Live: oktober rust | Mii: 5207 2388 9861 4135 | Steam ID: detroit820 | Origin ID: oktoberrust11

post #71 of 16247 Old 02-07-2011, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Found this online....

It’s very common for information regarding a massive title to be revealed online once the magazine headlining it hits the hands of subscribers. The latest issue of GameInformer headlining Battlefield 3 is reaching subscribers this week and new information regarding the title has appeared online. With a late 2011 release date planned, Dice and EA are going all-out with the new installment. According to the GameInformer article, the concept for Battlefield 3 was in the works for years, but the technology needs weren’t there and they had to wait for it to come together to realize their vision. As some may suspect, the PC version of Battlefield 3 is the lead version of the title, but the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions should be high-quality products regardless.

For a full breakdown, find it below.

-Aiming for CY Q4 2011 release
-Concept for BF3 has been in the works for years, waiting on proper tech to seamlessly come together
-Frostbite 2.0 is the culmination of this tech, entirely re-written
-Lighting sounds neat; one "probe" contains more lighting information than an entire BFBC2 level.
-Level destruction is going to be "believable" but basically everything is destructible.
-Character animations powered by ANT, what EA Sports uses.
-AI characters and multiplayer characters have different animation sets
-No more "gliding" animations that look off, animation realism is a focus
-Captured their own war audios (bullets, tanks, helicopters, etc) at different distances to ensure realism
-Better audio cues for certain actions, more easily able to listen for threats
-Plan on better, more immediate post release content
-More unlocks than BFBC2
-Dice trying to find a good balance between customization of your character and not having "pink rabbit hat(s)"
-4 classes
-Will talk about squads "later"
-Looking into a theater mode but can't talk about it
-Will have co-op
-There will be a kill-cam but it can be turned off
-BF3's team is almost twice as big as the team for BFBC2
-They want the pacing of the single player mode to be balanced, with highs and lows. Makes the comparison to a song vs a guitar solo.
-Part of the single player mode takes place in Sulaymaniyah - Iraqi Kurdistan.
-"F**k" will be used often, so M rates for sure
-Significant narrative that goes with the SP mode
-More than one setting, you're not in the middle east for the whole game
-PC version is lead version
-Why 64 players for PC only? No complains from the console crowd.
-No mod tools at release. Maybe none down the line either. Frosbite 2.0 is complex and mods tools would have to be dumbed down, so does Dice really want to put their time to that or would it be better spent elsewhere?

Here to help and learn. Thanks AVS.
XBL: HoosierInOhio

post #72 of 16247 Old 02-07-2011, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Found this online....

-Character animations powered by ANT, what EA Sports uses.

Hopefully not the NBA Elite guys! Just joking.

Interesting stuff - curious about the response to the 64 players on PC - but no complaints from the console crowd comment. 64 players would be great.

XBL & PSN - Harpua77
post #73 of 16247 Old 02-07-2011, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Quote:

-More unlocks than BFBC2

Hopefully they spread the unlocks out more than BC2. It would be great if some of them were level unlocks so that getting to 50 earns you something.

Salminella Now Better with Kinect: 360 PSN

Official member and mascot of the AVS' Xbox 360 Elite Club of Awesomeness
post #74 of 16247 Old 02-07-2011, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hopefully not the NBA Elite guys! Just joking.

Interesting stuff - curious about the response to the 64 players on PC - but no complaints from the console crowd comment. 64 players would be great.

actually i disagree, i played both Resistance with 60 players and MAG with 250 and with both of the games it was just too much chaos... the other thing is that i love the BC2 was getting a party of 8 together and working as a team.. that becomes harder and harder the bigger it gets..
post #75 of 16247 Old 02-07-2011, 08:56 PM
hsv
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Does anybody know if this game is originally designed for pc or xbox? The reason I ask is because I primarily use my ps3 but if it will run on xbox better I may have to renew my live membership later this year. I enjoyed bfbc2 on ps3, however I was jealous of all the action the xbox thread was getting compared to the ps3 one.

XBL: TRAIL MIX A L0T
PSN: Trail-Mix-A-Lot
post #76 of 16247 Old 02-07-2011, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

originally for pc, i have both 360 and ps3 and the 360 group is always on and great to play with...
post #77 of 16247 Old 02-07-2011, 09:39 PM

Liked: 10
Console peeps need to complain and get more players if that's their reason for not expanding it!!
post #78 of 16247 Old 02-08-2011, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjr39 View Post

Hopefully they spread the unlocks out more than BC2. It would be great if some of them were level unlocks so that getting to 50 earns you something.

I *just* got to 49 in BC2! I do agree though that unlocks through say 40 would be good. As it stands right now, there's absolutely no incentive to get to 50 other than to be as cool as lowgn and bigorange.
post #79 of 16247 Old 02-08-2011, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

actually i disagree, i played both Resistance with 60 players and MAG with 250 and with both of the games it was just too much chaos... the other thing is that i love the BC2 was getting a party of 8 together and working as a team.. that becomes harder and harder the bigger it gets..

I hear you, though I'm just not seeing why 64 would be successful on PC and not on a console - all depends on the developer and the design of the maps to keep the action focused on a number of different areas on the maps (ie, flags). I'm thinking that's why Conquest was such a huge hit for BF2 and not nearly as much fun on BC2 - there just aren't enough players in BC2 to support such large maps focused on at least 3 different locations.

I've played both MAG and Resistance and I actually think MAG did a pretty good job of focusing the action on a number of different areas to avoid the inevitable cluster @#%^. The problem with that game is it has a very steep learning curve, and unless you're in a clan, the communication sucks on PS3 (IME).

Either way, I'll be plenty happy with 24, but was just curious why they didn't try for 64, or a number in between.

XBL & PSN - Harpua77
post #80 of 16247 Old 02-08-2011, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Zath View Post

I *just* got to 49 in BC2! I do agree though that unlocks through say 40 would be good. As it stands right now, there's absolutely no incentive to get to 50 other than to be as cool as lowgn and bigorange.

I got to 39, had everything and lost the incentive to keep going. Gold guns, an avatar award or something else to keep progessing would be nice.

I'll never be as cool as lowgn or orange.

post #81 of 16247 Old 02-08-2011, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizuno21 View Post

Console peeps need to complain and get more players if that's their reason for not expanding it!!

I would assume their reason would be the 10yr old tech that is in consoles...

post #82 of 16247 Old 02-08-2011, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would assume their reason would be the 10yr old tech that is in consoles...

Agreed. If I remember correctly, the Xbox has a 600 MHz processor. By comparison, my phone has a better processor and more RAM than my gaming machine.

post #83 of 16247 Old 02-08-2011, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjr39 View Post

Agreed. If I remember correctly, the Xbox has a 600 MHz processor. By comparison, my phone has a better processor and more RAM than my gaming machine.

We need an xbox 720 already!

Well regardless, I applaud DICE for trying to push things forward. The destruction in BC2 is like nothing anywhere else and its going to improve? And they are talking about smoother animations so maybe we will get our COD fluidity and BF everything else.

post #84 of 16247 Old 02-08-2011, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

We need an xbox 720 already!

Absolutely. It is crazy what developers are able to do with antique hardware.

post #85 of 16247 Old 02-08-2011, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

That video with the middleware lighting engine was pretty impressive. Like Dallas said, it would be cool to shoot out the lights in an area and see muzzle flashes and flares. I'm wondering how much of that will make it to the 360.

I also echo the statement that it's very impressive to see what these developers are doing with antiquated hardware.

XBL & PSN - Harpua77
post #86 of 16247 Old 02-08-2011, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
If they'd just put an achievement for maxing out my multiplayer level it would be incentive enough to get to 50.

Xbox Gamertag: matteoms

Official Member of the Joy Puke Your Face Off Club.
post #87 of 16247 Old 02-08-2011, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

With the inclusion of jets, I really hope DICE includes more AA options, something like the Stinger/IGLA from Battlefield 2, which had lock-on AA rockets. Even as it is now in BC2, it can be a pain to take down a good chopper pilot.

Stinger

IGLA

post #88 of 16247 Old 02-08-2011, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

yeah I always felt BF2 was more balanced when it came to anti-air than BC2. Except for the whores that always took out the stingers first.
post #89 of 16247 Old 02-08-2011, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mobile AA is what we need.

post #90 of 16247 Old 02-08-2011, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Game Informer's cover story on Battlefield 3 reveals DICE's plans to support dedicated servers, and delves into some of the particulars of its multiplayer offering. Once again, you'll be able to select between four classes -- executive producer Patrick Bach calls this number "the sweet spot" -- and Bad Company 2's four-person squad mechanic will be expanded, though no specifics are given. "Squads are really easy to set up, but how can you take that further? We have some really cool things that we'll show later when it comes to dictating how you play with friends," Bach teases.

Furthermore, due to BF3 using a new version of DICE's game engine, Frostbite 2.0, mod tools won't necessarily reflect earlier Battlefield mod functionality. "We will not deliver mod tools in the way that we delivered them for Battlefield 2," Bach says. "Creating mod tools today -- dumbing them down -- takes a lot of energy and what we are discussing more every day is, 'Where do we put our focus?' Right now our focus is to create the best possible multiplayer, single-player, and co-op game -- the core game of Battlefield 3. We're still discussing how we handle modifications of any kind," he adds.

And though the third Battlefield title will arrive on launch day in Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 flavors, the game's primary development platform is the PC. "We won't make it for console and port it to PC -- that's not how we do things," Bach says. "We're focusing on PC first, and then we fiddle with it to fit it onto consoles." Frankly, we wanna fiddle with it wherever it is.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/08/ba...leading-on-pc/

I may have to go buy a PC for this...

Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Battlefield 3 , Battlefield 3 Limited Edition Playstation3 Game Ea , Battlefield 3 Premium Edition Playstation3 Game Ea , Battlefield 3 Premium Edition Xbox 360 Game Ea

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page