Halo CE remake official - Page 4 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Gaming & Content Streaming > Home Theater Gaming > Xbox Area > Halo CE remake official

Xbox Area

LexInVA's Avatar LexInVA
06:41 AM Liked: 49
post #91 of 113
11-27-2011 | Posts: 2,035
Joined: Jun 2007
I picked it up last night. I am looking forward to some multi-player. It has been several years since I did any MP games in any title.
General Kenobi's Avatar General Kenobi
04:26 PM Liked: 391
post #92 of 113
12-02-2011 | Posts: 5,963
Joined: Jan 2007
I got my copy yesterday, played up to the point where you start driving around Halo to rescue the other survivors. The game looks pretty good, especially once you land on Halo the colors really pop.

The maps got a great overhaul, I played a couple matches and Hang em High came up (one of my favorites) and I was shocked at how cool it looks now... good stuff, $$ well spent! Looking forward to some more time with the campaign and MP.
Nohoch's Avatar Nohoch
02:38 PM Liked: 12
post #93 of 113
12-04-2011 | Posts: 15
Joined: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

I got my copy yesterday, played up to the point where you start driving around Halo to rescue the other survivors. The game looks pretty good, especially once you land on Halo the colors really pop.

The maps got a great overhaul, I played a couple matches and Hang em High came up (one of my favorites) and I was shocked at how cool it looks now... good stuff, $$ well spent! Looking forward to some more time with the campaign and MP.

Sounds good..I am forcing myself to wait until Christmas break to start playing with my cousin in CoOp - and Hang Em High is what we are MOST excited about...... Hang Em High Rockets has seen many hours played on my set.
mark_j's Avatar mark_j
04:07 PM Liked: 11
post #94 of 113
12-04-2011 | Posts: 1,303
Joined: Jan 2006
Any talk of bringing this to Games on Demand? Seems like a perfect candidate for it.
cobolisdead's Avatar cobolisdead
07:53 AM Liked: 15
post #95 of 113
12-06-2011 | Posts: 1,972
Joined: Aug 2007
Well, I have finally been playing this some, and going through on Legendary is tougher than I remember. I did the Escape form the Cartographer Map room without shooting anything. That is one crazy achievement, especially without the infinite grenades. Fortunately, I had the grunt funeral skull on along with Boom so Grunts do a lot of cascading explosions in packs. Still, it was pretty rough at times.
s1njin's Avatar s1njin
08:08 AM Liked: 37
post #96 of 113
12-06-2011 | Posts: 959
Joined: Nov 2011
Any idea if they are remastering Halo 2 as well? It'd be nice to see the whole story arc in current gen graphics.

Of course there is the whole Halo 3 needs to run of disc thing - did they ever do a patch to fix it or is this just the reality of Halo 3?
PiratesCove's Avatar PiratesCove
09:37 AM Liked: 124
post #97 of 113
12-06-2011 | Posts: 4,085
Joined: Jan 2009
I played a few of the Halo CE Anniversary maps through Halo Reach.

I like them, its just strange to play Halo after Call of Duty and Battlefield.
General Kenobi's Avatar General Kenobi
10:16 AM Liked: 391
post #98 of 113
12-06-2011 | Posts: 5,963
Joined: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove View Post

I played a few of the Halo CE Anniversary maps through Halo Reach.

I like them, its just strange to play Halo after Call of Duty and Battlefield.

Me too, I really like them but you are right... constantly throwing nades to ads. I'm enjoying the campaign too, playing the Silent Cartographer now, switching to the original graphics is a very cool. I really love what they've done with the maps though. Does anyone know if/when they will be in regular rotation for multi-team and TDM?
Kenshiro 26's Avatar Kenshiro 26
11:57 AM Liked: 48
post #99 of 113
12-06-2011 | Posts: 361
Joined: Jul 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post

Of course there is the whole Halo 3 needs to run of disc thing - did they ever do a patch to fix it or is this just the reality of Halo 3?

This affects the map loading time when playing multiplayer, assuming you're talking strictly about the campaign you could install it to the HDD.

I'm not sure if it increases the load times for levels or not (probably), but of course the benefit to doing it would be less stress and noise from the DVD drive.

Which to me would be a fair tradeoff.
LexInVA's Avatar LexInVA
02:25 PM Liked: 49
post #100 of 113
12-06-2011 | Posts: 2,035
Joined: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post

Any idea if they are remastering Halo 2 as well? It'd be nice to see the whole story arc in current gen graphics.

Of course there is the whole Halo 3 needs to run of disc thing - did they ever do a patch to fix it or is this just the reality of Halo 3?

They will certainly do it if the sales of this are good but it would take a significant amount of time to polish Halo 2 and 3 and that probably won't happen for some time given how the MS studio resources are focused on Halo 4 right now.
Leo_Ames's Avatar Leo_Ames
03:10 PM Liked: 219
post #101 of 113
12-06-2011 | Posts: 2,504
Joined: Feb 2007
Unless this thing is a disappointing seller (Which it doesn't appear to be, so far), I think a Halo 2 update is all but guaranteed.

I wouldn't be surprised if the same team responsible for this project is already hard at work on it.

And there's no need to patch Halo 3. It works just fine installed to the hard drive. It's unfortunate you can't actually decrease loadtimes significantly by installing it, but it doesn't increase them significantly, either (Even when online, I've read). Well worth installing it just to save wear and tear on the drive and kill the drive noise from what I've read (I don't actually own Halo 3).
257Tony's Avatar 257Tony
04:05 PM Liked: 12
post #102 of 113
12-06-2011 | Posts: 2,012
Joined: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

Unless this thing is a disappointing seller (Which it doesn't appear to be, so far), I think a Halo 2 update is all but guaranteed.

I wouldn't be surprised if the same team responsible for this project is already hard at work on it.

And there's no need to patch Halo 3. It works just fine installed to the hard drive. It's unfortunate you can't actually decrease loadtimes significantly by installing it, but it doesn't increase them significantly, either (Even when online, I've read). Well worth installing it just to save wear and tear on the drive and kill the drive noise from what I've read (I don't actually own Halo 3).

Halo 3 does suffer from some issues when installed. It was developed to be able to stream textures from the HDD and disc at the same time. You will notice some frame rate issues at times if its installed.

Halo 2 certainly could use an update, but I don't see 3 needing anything at all, its a good looking game.
Leo_Ames's Avatar Leo_Ames
09:19 PM Liked: 219
post #103 of 113
12-06-2011 | Posts: 2,504
Joined: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by 257Tony View Post

Halo 3 does suffer from some issues when installed. It was developed to be able to stream textures from the HDD and disc at the same time. You will notice some frame rate issues at times if its installed.

Thanks

I thought it just resulted in slightly increased load times compared to just running it directly off the disc. Didn't realize it caused any performance issues.
m4bama's Avatar m4bama
02:00 PM Liked: 10
post #104 of 113
12-07-2011 | Posts: 212
Joined: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post

Any idea if they are remastering Halo 2 as well? It'd be nice to see the whole story arc in current gen graphics.

Of course there is the whole Halo 3 needs to run of disc thing - did they ever do a patch to fix it or is this just the reality of Halo 3?

well the 720 will be out fall of 2013 so they would have to puul people off of Halo 5 to work on the halo 2 remake

of course halo 5 would launch the 720
Mr.D's Avatar Mr.D
08:54 AM Liked: 15
post #105 of 113
01-12-2012 | Posts: 3,308
Joined: Dec 2001
Finally got to play this over Christmas.

Love it all over again.

However I hink they went a little dayglo with the colours and the lighting lost some of its atmosphere ,its a little too bright and evenly lit now , Halo CE was deliberately gloomy in some parts.
gameboy's Avatar gameboy
10:55 AM Liked: 15
post #106 of 113
01-12-2012 | Posts: 1,786
Joined: Apr 2002
The first game since probably King Kong where I got all 1000 points on achievements. Nostalgia is a helluva drug...
mark_j's Avatar mark_j
11:30 AM Liked: 11
post #107 of 113
01-12-2012 | Posts: 1,303
Joined: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post

Finally got to play this over Christmas.

Love it all over again.

However I hink they went a little dayglo with the colours and the lighting lost some of its atmosphere ,its a little too bright and evenly lit now , Halo CE was deliberately gloomy in some parts.

Can't you just switch to the "original" mode if you want the old way? Thought that was a feature.

I'm definitely going to pick this up, but waiting for it to be available through "On Demand" first...
Mr.D's Avatar Mr.D
10:34 PM Liked: 15
post #108 of 113
01-12-2012 | Posts: 3,308
Joined: Dec 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_j View Post

Can't you just switch to the "original" mode if you want the old way? Thought that was a feature.

Yes but the old way doesn't benefit from the improvement in texture and scene detail. They've got worried about the original lighting beng perceived as murky rather than atmospheric and have overcompensated.

Net result is everything is brighter but its also blander and has lost a bit of dynamic range and that was one of the key things that made Halo stand out when it was originally released.
zlatimer's Avatar zlatimer
04:46 PM Liked: 10
post #109 of 113
01-13-2012 | Posts: 2
Joined: Jan 2012
I didn't start playing Halo until Halo 3. I have to say i am more impressed with everyone they bring out. The release of Halo CE was perfect for me. The gameplay helps me realize the strides that Bungie and now 343 continue to make. I am hooked for life. Can't wait for a remaster of Halo 2.
RY35AN's Avatar RY35AN
07:05 PM Liked: 10
post #110 of 113
01-13-2012 | Posts: 1,143
Joined: Apr 2007
*If they remaster Halo 2*
I'd like to see it done also but it hasn't been announced has it?
s1njin's Avatar s1njin
08:50 AM Liked: 37
post #111 of 113
01-24-2012 | Posts: 959
Joined: Nov 2011
Tried some coop over Live last night with a buddy. Gosh this stutters something awful - I don't think there is much netcode in this game. It was definitely his connection, as my FIOS ping tests and speed tests in A+ territory. But OMG when I connect straight up w/ him its just a jerky laggy mess.
onlysublime's Avatar onlysublime
10:55 AM Liked: 605
post #112 of 113
01-24-2012 | Posts: 4,971
Joined: May 2005
I've been playing the co-op campaign and it's friggin awesome. Love the new graphics except for some scenes where they're just so pretty whereas the original was dark, moody, and creepy.

Also, the original mode isn't what you see on the original Xbox as the resolution is higher and it's widescreen instead of 4:3.

But those are nitpicking a great title.
number1laing's Avatar number1laing
07:22 AM Liked: 32
post #113 of 113
11-13-2012 | Posts: 5,993
Joined: Mar 2007
I started playing this and it's surprising how well it holds up, even after 11 years it plays great. The new graphics are beautiful but the framerate isn't that good as I'd like.

Halo CE has some issues and isn't as refined as later titles. The difficulty spike when you get on the Truth and Reconciliation is brutal and unexpected. It reminded me that developers back then didn't do the type of focus testing and data gathering they do today. The new graphics also caused an issue here. The invisible guys with the sword kept killing me. I died about 20-30 times (on Heroic) and it only took me 3 tries with the old graphics. The sword blends in with the new scenery a bit too much.

Reply Xbox Area

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3