GCS
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jitu View Post

It's not like I get killed by Last Chance users all the time but it does happen a lot more than I would like and in a heat of battle you are not always 1 vs 1, it could be 1 vs many and while you shoot one guy and think you killed him but didn't and wanted to move on to the next target but failed because the Last Chance guy is shooting back while you are shooting someone else or that someone else is shooting you while you are pumping more bullets into the Last Chance guy. I still think it's a really cheesy and annoying perk. If they nerf the pistol then I would tolerate it.

Yes, but it doesn't turn you around automatically and can't shoot in mid air and the pistol's damage point doesn't increase and you can't be revived. All that seems to be the case with Last Chance in BLOPS

For once I wholeheartedly AGREE 100% with jitu !!

Well put sir.

Greg

XBL Gamertag - blowfish7494

"Pull up your big boy pants and deal with it" - The Wife!

"Put on your man suit and fake it" - The Wife

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 10486 Old 06-02-2011, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcs View Post

for once i wholeheartedly agree 100% with jitu !!

Well put sir.

Greg

:d (>^_^)> <3 <3!!!

PSN: Fail_At_Failing
XBL: jitu757

bbexperience: "hmm. I don't know. It's hard to notice the sensitivity of the sticks when the controller is flying through the air."
post #543 of 10486 Old 06-02-2011, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 140
Quote:

Yes, but it doesn't turn you around automatically and can't shoot in mid air and the pistol's damage point doesn't increase and you can't be revived. All that seems to be the case with Last Chance in BLOPS

Sorry, has it been proven that LC turns you around automatically in BLOPS? I just assumed those players were really good with using the perk, because I've seen it used many many times where the player did not turn around when he dropped into LC.

XBOX Live: Ell Dudereno
post #544 of 10486 Old 06-02-2011, 02:36 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote_5 View Post

Wow, I thought my question about Ghost was pretty straight forward, but if you want to go with this schtick, more power to ya.

Whoa sensitive much? I will be taking my schticks to South Beach.

Since the vid I posted disabled embedding, the interesting point the guy makes is the following:

If the entire lobby has an average ping of under 110ms, then the host has no anti lag applied to him.

If the entire lobby has an average ping over 110ms, then the lobby's ping is added, as a penalty, to the host's ping

Host a room full of four bars and you hit detection is amazing.

I hope MW 3 fixes this though I will wait for reviews to find out.
post #545 of 10486 Old 06-02-2011, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by browerjs View Post

There are plenty of decent slot 2 perks. Warlord and SOH being the ones that come to mind. They are just as powerful as Ghost, and I'd argue they are more powerful (hence the reason I've never even used Ghost a single time in 8+ days of playing).

You are just annoyed (and I am too) when you get killed by someone you don't see on UAV. Of course you never know when you are getting killed by someone that used that 2nd grenade with Warlord pro, or from the extra 15 bullets in an extended mag, etc...

There are some decent perks in tier 2... Too bad ghost competes in tier one with the likes of lightweight and scavenger!

Also, I'm not mad about being killed by someone not on my uav (only radar I run is the one 3arc put at the 8 kill)-- I'm not even mad! Just pointing out that a perk that negates all but 2 of the killstreaks is clearly over-powered compared to every other perk in tier one--

Lightweight: fun perk, but so outclassed in this tier-- should be someplace else.
Scavenger: two words for you: dual mags. With the abundance of famas and ak74u laying around do you even really need dual mags? For grenade spammers only and again-- way outclassed in tier one.
Hardline: unless you LOVE care packages, this is useless. The one less kill you'll need for your killstreaks is far out weighed by the survivability/extra kills you'll get with ghost.
Flak jacket: the only perk in tier one that has even the slightest chance to compete with ghost... Too bad this isn't mw2! Nope, this is black ops: where explosives do little damage unless you sit on one. Only useful for objective gametypes.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #546 of 10486 Old 06-02-2011, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur View Post

Whoa sensitive much? I will be taking my schticks to South Beach.

Since the vid I posted disabled embedding, the interesting point the guy makes is the following:

If the entire lobby has an average ping of under 110ms, then the host has no anti lag applied to him.

If the entire lobby has an average ping over 110ms, then the lobby's ping is added, as a penalty, to the host's ping

Host a room full of four bars and you hit detection is amazing.

I hope MW 3 fixes this though I will wait for reviews to find out.

Yep, tried explaining this to some peeps in the mw2 thread a long long time ago and I was politely told that I didn't know what the heck I was talking about. Host is rarely an advantage unless the connections are amazing!

--Carl Sagan
post #547 of 10486 Old 06-02-2011, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

There are some decent perks in tier 2... Too bad ghost competes in tier one with the likes of lightweight and scavenger!

Also, I'm not mad about being killed by someone not on my uav (only radar I run is the one 3arc put at the 8 kill)-- I'm not even mad! Just pointing out that a perk that negates all but 2 of the killstreaks is clearly over-powered compared to every other perk in tier one--

What?

Ghost only prevents you from being seen on radar. You'll still get killed by choppers and sentry guns and even chopper gunners as the usually use the 'spray and pray' method. You still show up if you fire an unsilenced weapon.

Ghost PRO makes you invisible to aircraft and sentry guns and hides your red name from the enemy. It would be useful for the occasional well placed sentry gun, but otherwise isn't that great. Aircraft are pretty easy to take down most of the time and having your name hidden isn't a great advantage.

So, what is the huge benefit to Ghost again? I find Flak Jacket to be 1000 times more useful. Without it, claymores and grenades can take you out from a good distance, despite the supposed nerfed explosives.

You say that you're playing the game but from reading your posts it seems like you just read about the perks online without ever having used them.

Read. Think. Post. In that order, preferably

"If the Playstation and Xbox are like the Bloods and the Crips, then the Wii is whatever gang Sha Na Na was in" - Christian Finnegan
post #548 of 10486 Old 06-02-2011, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbexperience View Post

What?

Ghost only prevents you from being seen on radar. You'll still get killed by choppers and sentry guns and even chopper gunners as the usually use the 'spray and pray' method. You still show up if you fire an unsilenced weapon.

Ghost PRO makes you invisible to aircraft and sentry guns and hides your red name from the enemy. It would be useful for the occasional well placed sentry gun, but otherwise isn't that great. Aircraft are pretty easy to take down most of the time and having your name hidden isn't a great advantage.

So, what is the huge benefit to Ghost again? I find Flak Jacket to be 1000 times more useful. Without it, claymores and grenades can take you out from a good distance, despite the supposed nerfed explosives.

You say that you're playing the game but from reading your posts it seems like you just read about the perks online without ever having used them.

It's really a objective vs non objective game type thing....if I played TDM and FFA a lot, I can't imagine I'd run FJ over Ghost much. :shrug:

post #549 of 10486 Old 06-02-2011, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbexperience View Post

What?

The benefit of ghost (pro) is just that: it hides you from enemy killstreaks. Only blackbird and dogs are effective against ghost pro players. Attack helicopter, chopper gunner, gunship, uav, sentry gun-- even the Valkyrie rockets-- all useless against a ghost pro user.
I fail to see where your confusion is stemming from.

Don't misunderstand me-- I see the purpose of ghost and I feel it is a valuable addition to the game-- if you read my original post you'll see that I was lamenting the lack of a truly competitive tier one perk to keep ghost balanced (in mw3s case: stopping power). As it stands now, flak jacket is the ONLY perk that can compete with ghost IN IT'S TIER. I can see the value of flak jacket, but I still say it's less powerful of a perk than ghost: ghost NEGATES killstreaks, flak jacket REDUCES explosive/fire damage.

Cold blooded is my favorite perk in mw2. It is essentially ghost pro: it hides me from uav and all airsupport, it even hides my name tag so I can lie prone in grass without being seen. To earn this ability I must give something up: stopping power. In a gun on gun fight I will be at a disadvantage if my opponent sees me coming. I earn stealth by sacrificing my ability to do damage. This is a trade. This is balance.
In black ops I can hide from uav, hide from airsupport, hide my red nametag and I give up... What? A little resistance to explosives? I earn stealth by sacrificing... What? The ability to run faster?

Stealth is a powerful advantage in an FPS. All I'm saying is that if we give a player this kind of advantage we should expect they should give something up as well.

--Carl Sagan
post #550 of 10486 Old 06-02-2011, 07:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 1392
Quote:

Yep, tried explaining this to some peeps in the mw2 thread a long long time ago and I was politely told that I didn't know what the heck I was talking about. Host is rarely an advantage unless the connections are amazing!

You probably wouldnt be selected as host in the first place unless you could provide sub 100ms connections to the rest of the lobby, so this rarely comes into play. Really only if the hosts connection deteriorates after he's selected. Host isnt a huge advantage anyway, since hit detection is client side. But lets not start pretending like you dont want to be host...you most definitely do, youre the least laggy person in the room 99% of the time.

Also, that video kind of misses the point. He talks like he knows better than the CoD devs, that theyve been developing the game for the better part of a decade now but never thought to modify the server variables from quake 3. They are the way they are for a reason. Youd never notice the difference, except that you'd probably notice additional lag due to the extra data, and the host would have a lot more overhead and possibly slowdown, but it wouldnt change a thing really, except in rare circumstances. You can sample the position of the players a thousand times a second, but that's not going to change latency, which is the core problem. Thats up to you and your connection, not some variable someone was too lazy to change.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #551 of 10486 Old 06-03-2011, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

The benefit of ghost (pro) is just that: it hides you from enemy killstreaks. Only blackbird and dogs are effective against ghost pro players. Attack helicopter, chopper gunner, gunship, uav, sentry gun-- even the Valkyrie rockets-- all useless against a ghost pro user.
I fail to see where your confusion is stemming from.

What about counter spy-plane, napalm, rolling thunder, rc-xd. All are effective against it.

And yes I made a mistake about Ghost being Tier 2, but I'll roll with Hardline (like many others do) and I don't even run care packages, before it. Again it depends on your playstyle and game mode of choice, but if your constantly getting to 6-11 kill streaks, that one less kill makes a big difference.

Ghost is also only worth it if other teams run UAVs (which many don't), as if you are playing with a decent team or you take it upon yourself you can bring down the choppers in no time.

XBL GT: DMBFiredancer
post #552 of 10486 Old 06-03-2011, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What about counter spy-plane, napalm, rolling thunder, rc-xd. All are effective against it.

And yes I made a mistake about Ghost being Tier 2, but I'll roll with Hardline (like many others do) and I don't even run care packages, before it. Again it depends on your playstyle and game mode of choice, but if your constantly getting to 6-11 kill streaks, that one less kill makes a big difference.

Ghost is also only worth it if other teams run UAVs (which many don't), as if you are playing with a decent team or you take it upon yourself you can bring down the choppers in no time.

Counter uav is a valid point but ghost pro makes placing napalm a bit more of a challenge if you don't know where the enemy is. Same thing with rolling thunder. Although, honestly, why anyone would select rolling thunder over blackbird is beyond me-- blackbird is like god-mode for your entire team. As for rc-xd... I always forget about that particular killstreak because I find it so unnecessarily annoying and cheap.

But you're seriously missing the point. You state that ghost (pro) is only useful when the enemy team is running uav. That just simply isn't the case. Look, I don't shoot stuff down-- I don't even have a class with a strela-- why? Because with ghost (pro) I don't have to. Ghost pro is all but immunity to airsupport and radar. Period. Why even take the chance I might get caught with my pants down (holding a strela instead of a gun) when I can slap on ghost and roam freely, in the open, without worrying about that chopper overhead?

I normally play local as I've found connections to be better-- maybe players here in Detroit are just more aware to run ghost?

--Carl Sagan
post #553 of 10486 Old 06-03-2011, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Counter uav is a valid point but ghost pro makes placing napalm a bit more of a challenge if you don't know where the enemy is. Same thing with rolling thunder. Although, honestly, why anyone would select rolling thunder over blackbird is beyond me-- blackbird is like god-mode for your entire team. As for rc-xd... I always forget about that particular killstreak because I find it so unnecessarily annoying and cheap.

But you're seriously missing the point. You state that ghost (pro) is only useful when the enemy team is running uav. That just simply isn't the case. Look, I don't shoot stuff down-- I don't even have a class with a strela-- why? Because with ghost (pro) I don't have to. Ghost pro is all but immunity to airsupport and radar. Period. Why even take the chance I might get caught with my pants down (holding a strela instead of a gun) when I can slap on ghost and roam freely, in the open, without worrying about that chopper overhead?

I normally play local as I've found connections to be better-- maybe players here in Detroit are just more aware to run ghost?

Why carry a Strella with Ghost? Hmmm, maybe to help your teammates out, unless of course you are playing FFA.

Also with Napalm/Rolling Thunder, you just use the UAV to get a general area of where to put them down, you typically will do this in the most populated area. Therefore, unless the whole team is running Ghost, the single player that is running it is still effected by it if they are near their teammates.

post #554 of 10486 Old 06-03-2011, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Why carry a Strella with Ghost? Hmmm, maybe to help your teammates out, unless of course you are playing FFA.

Also with Napalm/Rolling Thunder, you just use the UAV to get a general area of where to put them down, you typically will do this in the most populated area. Therefore, unless the whole team is running Ghost, the single player that is running it is still effected by it if they are near their teammates.

Lol! Look, I'm not going to argue with you. We've co-opted this thread enough. I have concerns about balancing in mw3-- every CoD to this point has had major balancing issues so this is a legitimate concern. There are scores of threads and YouTube videos arguing the very point I'm trying to make here. Obviously, you disagree. You opinion is noted.

I will, however, leave you with this: explain to me why it is that black ops games constantly run to the time limit and not the score limit? Why do I get half as many black ops games in 2 hours than mw2 games? If you haven't played mw2 or cod4 in awoke I challenge you to do this-- record your number of games, time your game time. Maybe you like hte slower pace but I at least want you to acknowledge the effect ghost has had.

--Carl Sagan
post #555 of 10486 Old 06-03-2011, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I play core TDM 95% of the time. I would say 9/10 games end with the score limit.

post #556 of 10486 Old 06-03-2011, 10:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Lol! Look, I'm not going to argue with you. We've co-opted this thread enough. I have concerns about balancing in mw3-- every CoD to this point has had major balancing issues so this is a legitimate concern. There are scores of threads and YouTube videos arguing the very point I'm trying to make here. Obviously, you disagree. You opinion is noted.

I will, however, leave you with this: explain to me why it is that black ops games constantly run to the time limit and not the score limit? Why do I get half as many black ops games in 2 hours than mw2 games? If you haven't played mw2 or cod4 in awoke I challenge you to do this-- record your number of games, time your game time. Maybe you like hte slower pace but I at least want you to acknowledge the effect ghost has had.

I wouldn't attribute any of that to ghost. Id attribute the vast majority of the slow pace to the more difficult to use weapons, less destructive killstreaks and explosives, larger and more complex maps. No KS stacking. No stopping power. Etc. It's just a slower paced game overall.

And on top of that, I can prove it's not ghost - because no one uses UAVs in MW2. Everyone is ghost by default, yet the games move plenty fast.

post #557 of 10486 Old 06-03-2011, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

I have determined that the copy of black ops I received-- along with several thousand other poor bastards-- was actually: "Black Ops crap edition". This is actually a different game where ghost is much more powerful and thus used most often, explosives don't do jack and lag is a constant. The rest of you received the "unbroken edition" and so do not have these issues. Thank you for your time and we now return you to your regularly scheduled #MW3 speculation!

--Carl Sagan
post #558 of 10486 Old 06-03-2011, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

if they don't get footsteps right this time around then I am gonna have to slap somebody's momma. I rely on this a lot more than I do the HUDR. How difficult is to code so that the polygon that makes up the bottom of the character model comes in contact with the surface of allowable paths then trigger the sound file associated with that terrain. Step on snow, trigger snow.wav, step on steel grid, trigger steelGrid.wav. I mean SHAMONE!

bbexperience: "hmm. I don't know. It's hard to notice the sensitivity of the sticks when the controller is flying through the air."
post #559 of 10486 Old 06-03-2011, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I will, however, leave you with this: explain to me why it is that black ops games constantly run to the time limit and not the score limit?

I don't see this and I play TDM. Rarely, very rarely, do the games end at 10 minutes. Typically they end in 5-8 minutes.

If I do run into games where they do not hit the score limit, they are usually on Hanoi, Array, or Crisis, and it usually only happens when the majority of both teams are sniping.

Quote:

Why do I get half as many black ops games in 2 hours than mw2 games?

No clue, it feels about the same to me.

Quote:

If you haven't played mw2 or cod4 in awoke I challenge you to do this-- record your number of games, time your game time. Maybe you like hte slower pace but I at least want you to acknowledge the effect ghost has had.

I hate slow paced games, and am an extrem run and gunner with a PPM avg in 8+ days of 320, which is way above average. Maybe because I'm this type of player I don't run into the speed issues or ghost issues.

I'm all for balance, and I think this game has it more then any of the others.

post #560 of 10486 Old 06-03-2011, 11:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

if they don't get footsteps right this time around then I am gonna have to slap somebody's momma. I rely on this a lot more than I do the HUDR. How difficult is to code so that the polygon that makes up the bottom of the character model comes in contact with the surface of allowable paths then trigger the sound file associated with that terrain. Step on snow, trigger snow.wav, step on steel grid, trigger steelGrid.wav. I mean SHAMONE!

That's by design. I kind of prefer it this way, where footsteps won't alert you until they're nearly on top of you. In mw2 it feels like you make such a racket moving around, even the presence of a foot thick brick wall does nothing to dull the sound of people outside. It sounds kind of silly to me.

post #561 of 10486 Old 06-03-2011, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

That's by design. I kind of prefer it this way, where footsteps won't alert you until they're nearly on top of you. In mw2 it feels like you make such a racket moving around, even the presence of a foot thick brick wall does nothing to dull the sound of people outside. It sounds kind of silly to me.

I don't mean the sound level because with a proper headset you can hear all kinds of sounds. What I was referring to is the skipping of footsteps where it doesn't sync up with each step taken. It feels like I am running with one leg in BLOPS.

post #562 of 10486 Old 06-03-2011, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
One thing I liked about the sound in Black Ops is that it doesn't really matter. I could listen to music and I wasn't missing out on anything.
post #563 of 10486 Old 06-03-2011, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't mean the sound level because with a proper headset you can hear all kinds of sounds. What I was referring to is the skipping of footsteps where it doesn't sync up with each step taken. It feels like I am running with one leg in BLOPS.

Treyarch lifted it and other sounds (grenades) right out of WaW and they are cheesy. Eventually you just tune it out.

post #564 of 10486 Old 06-03-2011, 01:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote_5 View Post

Treyarch lifted it and other sounds (grenades) right out of WaW and they are cheesy. Eventually you just tune it out.

Nonsense. The grenade sound was so distinctively awful and weak in WaW. It's night and day better in Blops.

In fact I find it a basically inarguable fact that blops has the best sound in the series. Aside from the famas and m60, the guns sound like guns. The explosions are crisp. There's actual occlusion and reverb. High dynamic range and the bass extends well into the subsonic frequencies. It really puts my theater to the test.

IW games sound comparatively flat and artificial. No sense of the environment, no dynamic range at all. On a technical level it's not even close.

post #565 of 10486 Old 06-03-2011, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I didn't make any comment on the overall sound, just the grenade pin pull and the shuffling feet (which you conveniently glossed over). The shoddy footsteps are clearly pulled from WaW. If they aren't the identical file, they are pretty damn close.

post #566 of 10486 Old 06-03-2011, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Nonsense. The grenade sound was so distinctively awful and weak in WaW. It's night and day better in Blops.

In fact I find it a basically inarguable fact that blops has the best sound in the series. Aside from the famas and m60, the guns sound like guns. The explosions are crisp. There's actual occlusion and reverb. High dynamic range and the bass extends well into the subsonic frequencies. It really puts my theater to the test.

IW games sound comparatively flat and artificial. No sense of the environment, no dynamic range at all. On a technical level it's not even close.

I own and fired the following types of ammo: .22, 9, .45, .223 (GSG9, Kimber 1911, Kimber 1911, Colt AR-15) and trust me when I say that the sound in BLOPS sound nothing like the real thing. MW2 guns sounded better but after paying close attention to them, it sounded hollow like they shot real guns in a closed environment without sound dampening material.

Edit: or it could be my headset???

post #567 of 10486 Old 06-03-2011, 03:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I own and fired the following types of ammo: .22, 9, .45, .223 (GSG9, Kimber 1911, Kimber 1911, Colt AR-15) and trust me when I say that the sound in BLOPS sound nothing like the real thing. MW2 guns sounded better but after paying close attention to them, it sounded hollow like they shot real guns in a closed environment without sound dampening material.

Edit: or it could be my headset???

Nothing short of a real gun can truly sound like the real thing. You'd have to be willing to sacrifice your speakers and your hearing, and just about every other ambient sound to even approach realism.

A real gunshot from up close has little bass, little definition. It's just a really loud midrange crack that dulls your hearing. Your average microphone just doesn't have the ability to even capture this without clipping or compressing, your average system can't come close to playing it back. A good system can't even come close IMO, but it can at least recreate a lot more of that impact.

So different games take different approaches to recreate it. Mw2 uses a very compressed sound that does almost entirely away with that transient crack. It sounds decent on a headset or tv speakers which couldnt recreate it at all anyway. OTOH, Blops tries and captures some of that crack, and at least gives you a high dynamic range option. It might sound weak on a TV set or headset, but on a good HT it sounds great. The dragunov and the aug in particular sound really satisfying.

IMO the closest a game has ever come to recreating a proper gunshot is the Springfield sniper rifle in WaW.

post #568 of 10486 Old 06-03-2011, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 101
From Joystiq:

Call of Duty Elite Q&A: We ask Activision to clear up some of the confusion
by Christopher Grant on Jun 3rd 2011 6:00PM

This week's reveal of Call of Duty Elite left us – and you, if the comments are any indication – with more questions than answers. So we rounded up Activision VP of Digital Jamie Berger to answer some of the more common questions. For his part, Berger wasn't shy about acknowledging that confusion. "There's just going to be confusion," he told me over the phone. "There's just so much we're trying to lay out in front of people at one time. So not at all surprised that we either weren't clear on some points or people were confused." The biggest point of confusion was undoubtedly the free aspects of the service, so let's start there:

What's free in Call of Duty Elite?
"The whole Career section," Berger tells me. "All of your stats, the personalized leadersboards, the heatmaps, the weapon stats, the ability to import your Facebook friends ... personal best, ability to compare, etc." This section bears the most resemblance to other offerings in the space, notably Bungie.net, as many of you mentioned. And like the core Bungie.net service, this section of Elite will remain free, including new features that are added to it.

Sounds un-innovative you say? Berger says it's up to the team at Beachhead to push for "innovation, even in things that have been well established like a heatmap or a leaderboard, where we know there's room for improvement." The Career features will be front and center in the beta this summer, so interested parties will have plenty of opportunities to tell Beachhead how innovative they are.

What about the Connect tab? Are Groups and Clans free?
The Connect tab is less cut and dry. Groups, for example, will be free but not all features of Clans will be free. "We think it's critical that [Groups] be made available to everyone," Berger explains. "And we think Groups, as kind of the underlying social structure for all of Call of Duty multiplayer, it's important that it be something that's accessible to everyone and in a way it only works properly when it's accessible to everyone, because of the idea of big, massive groups and crazy niche ones."

But what about Clans? They operate as smaller, invite-only Groups and almost, by that very nature, would appeal to the more hardcore (read: more likely to pay) players. But even that isn't as simple as "Clans will be premium." Berger tells me, "We definitely want to find a way of making Clans available to everyone. That's one of those ones that's definitely a shared goal amongst us." On the other hand, Berger says, "we also want to make it something that premium members have some kind of premium element to that and engage in more competition as a Clan. That's one of the ones you'll see us finding ways for both to co-exist."

Lastly, the video upload ability of Connect – sharing video content, tagging your friends – will be free, allowing you to upload an "unlimited" number of videos.

Will the Compete functionality only be accessible to premium members?
While Berger wouldn't say definitively that Compete would be limited to paying members only, he did say, "It's one of those things that requires a tremendous amount of energy on the backend, to manage, to operate, to prize, to administer, so it's certainly one of those things that lends itself to needing a premium aspect to it." Sounds premium to us.

And what about the last tab, Improve? Premium?
"To a large extent, the thing about Improve, that's probably the one you've seen the least of," Berger teases. "I think we're doing some really terrific base things, which you saw last month, but I also believe it's the one that will change the most dramatically by the time November rolls along." Certainly, what we saw didn't seem worthy of a premium membership here, but Berger promises, "We'll be adding in a lot of functionality over the next six months." Our guess: premium, at least in part.

What is the distinction between a paying Elite member and a free Elite member?
One of the most confusing aspects of the Elite reveal was the lack of a distinction between the various tiers. Consider: Bungie.net access and Bungie Pro. Berger agreed that could be confusing. "Elite membership is our nomenclature for the group that gets everything and, in its simplest form, is the membership," Berger says. In other words, while non-paying users of Elite may have access to a lot of the features, they're not considered "members" and are instead considered simply registered users. This point, while seemingly mired in semantics, goes a long way towards understanding the audience confusion over the product. The default language being used implies a paid service, though no payment is required to use many of its features.

Is Elite membership required to play Modern Warfare 3 online?
And here you can see where the confusion comes from – if many readers presume that Elite is a paid service built for Modern Warfare 3, they may also erroneously assume it's required to play Modern Warfare 3 online. "This is a voluntary thing," Berger says. "You're not required to have it." While interested players will be able to create an Elite account right inside the game, it won't be a mandatory requirement to play MW3. And again, after signing up for Elite, the paid membership is another option, but not mandatory.

Will the premium Elite membership include all the DLC? There won't be anything not covered?
"Yes, you get all the content," Berger says. "We're not holding anything back. When we say it's all-inclusive, we really mean that. There are no gotchas there, with another DLC pack that we're going to ask you to buy outside of the Elite membership. If you're a member, you get everything."

What about the other way around? Will there be any DLC that is exclusive to premium Elite members?
Berger was predictably careful when discussing this topic, but he did say, "We're hearing loud and clear from our players that they're really interested in experimenting with new forms of content outside of the traditional construct of how a map pack works." Pre-selling a year's worth of DLC content means Activision can try something different. "What I will tell you is I think there's going to be a lot of great changes in the way we think about content and I think the membership is enabling us to do some creative things that the traditional marketplace won't."

Will PS3 Elite members still have to wait 30 days to get access to the DLC that their membership entitles them to?
"If you're a member, whether a PlayStation 3 or an Xbox member, you're going to get all the same services and you're going to get all the same content," Berger explains. "That said, we've had a terrific relationship with the Xbox team and that has included a 30-day window of exclusivity for map packs. And I believe we announced that would continue for Modern Warfare 3." Translation: Sorry PS3 Elite members, you've still got to wait. However, that DLC will still be included in your all-inclusive paid Elite membership.

Will you tell us how much DLC we'll be getting with our Elite memberships? It's hard to ask people to pay when they don't know what they're buying.
While Activision is still rather secretive about all the features that Modern Warfare 3 multiplayer and, by extension, Call of Duty Elite will offer, Berger did say that when it comes time to talk pricing, that veil of secrecy will be entirely done away with. "We're going to be very, very explicit and very upfront about how the whole year is going to roll out for content, which I think is a big change for us," Berger says. "Typically, as it is now, we would maybe announce a map pack thirty days in advance. That's going to change with Elite, we know that since we're asking people to join something, we have to be very transparent and very open about what you're going to get. And very detailed. So when we announce everything, we're going to put it all on the table and that includes all the content, what the commitments are that we're making to content and what the timing's going to be."

In other words, when Activision is ready to start charging for Elite, it will pre-announce its entire DLC plan, including individual pricing we imagine, to entice players to sign-up, effectively pre-purchasing the year's content.

Of course, there are still plenty of questions we'll need Modern Warfare 3 to answer. For that, the only solution is time. The next step is the early beta, which begins in "early to mid-summer" so we'd recommend you sign up now if you're interested!

post #569 of 10486 Old 06-06-2011, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 112
What the "Nightmarish Beast" wants out of MW3...LOL

http://www.youtube.com/user/ELPRESAD.../0/lr2SFl4zjC4
post #570 of 10486 Old 06-06-2011, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member