Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 10486 Old 05-23-2011, 10:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Was pretty meh about the trailer.

Although I may be suffering from COD fatigue.

Xbox Gamertag: matteoms

Official Member of the Joy Puke Your Face Off Club.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 10486 Old 05-24-2011, 12:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

holy crap! That looks amazing!

Remember that thing I said about not paying subscription fees to play this... I take it back.

Then you're crazy. As much as I am a CoD junkie I just don't think I can stomach a monthly fee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammybastard View Post

yeah, the same level it's been at for the past 5 years.

Yeah, I'm with you there. I still think it'll be great but guys, lets not kid ourselves, this is going to be MW2 with a few tweaks, I think it'll be a much smaller jump than MW2 was from CoD 4 even. Were they to actually "take it to the next level" people would probably complain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammybastard View Post

it looks like the B3 trailer, just with more cutscenes and a different color palette.

I disagree there, the Battlefield 3 trailer I actually think is a good bit more impressive, but we'll see.

That said, I'm guaranteed to buy this and I'm sure I'll play the crap out of it (as I did the previous two MW games), but I don't think the trailer was anything particularly new.

A few observations (being the gun geek I am).

1) When the guy tosses the mag to the player early on there is no top to the mag, it's a flat texture. Guess they don't care about that much though. Also, it's a 20 round mag, looks like they're taking a page from Black Ops (or maybe it's just an early build).

2) Daekwan should be happy, they've got the EOTech branded now AND it's got the magnifier behind it.

3) CoD 4 MP5 is back! BUT, they removed the handguards? What? Why are the characters holding on to the scalding hot barrel?

4) Can't tell if that's still a blingified AK47 or not, I get the eerie feeling it is. Go back to the wooden AK!!!

"To do a 'Kabob' you have to be both a tease, and a cockblocker. So the person you 'Kabob' gets his/her hopes up only to end up being severely disappointed." -jammybastard

Xbox Live GT - I Kabob I
post #183 of 10486 Old 05-24-2011, 04:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 1346
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabob983 View Post

Then you're crazy. As much as I am a CoD junkie I just don't think I can stomach a monthly fee.

Yeah, I'm with you there. I still think it'll be great but guys, lets not kid ourselves, this is going to be MW2 with a few tweaks, I think it'll be a much smaller jump than MW2 was from CoD 4 even. Were they to actually "take it to the next level" people would probably complain.

I disagree there, the Battlefield 3 trailer I actually think is a good bit more impressive, but we'll see.

That said, I'm guaranteed to buy this and I'm sure I'll play the crap out of it (as I did the previous two MW games), but I don't think the trailer was anything particularly new.

A few observations (being the gun geek I am).

1) When the guy tosses the mag to the player early on there is no top to the mag, it's a flat texture. Guess they don't care about that much though. Also, it's a 20 round mag, looks like they're taking a page from Black Ops (or maybe it's just an early build).

2) Daekwan should be happy, they've got the EOTech branded now AND it's got the magnifier behind it.

3) CoD 4 MP5 is back! BUT, they removed the handguards? What? Why are the characters holding on to the scalding hot barrel?

4) Can't tell if that's still a blingified AK47 or not, I get the eerie feeling it is. Go back to the wooden AK!!!

The new mp5 they showed in the leak has a foregrip and side rail instead of handguard. They did also show the cod4 and mw2 for comparison, and I swear I did see an old style mp5 in the trailer, so the old one might still make some sort of single player appearance.

The AK is absolutely the modernized one from MW2. Even the 1887 has been modernized.

And I'm pretty sure they've been very explicit about not charging a sub for MP. In either case people seem to be getting bent out of shape, assuming like it's going to be $15 a month for what's free now. It seems more likely to be $5 a month for something peripheral that few care about. I'm not concerned. In fact, I'm eager to see something worth my money that can extend the MP experience.

With that out of the way, year, I don't expect the campaign to be a huge jump over mw2. I don't want it to be. I want them to keep the same super focused, filler-less roller coaster ride. I want either less story or for them to explain it better, but I want the focus to be on moment to moment action, not cutscenes. I'm looking forward to it taking place in recognizable cities and not a junkyard or oil refinery.

I want other games to explore new formulas, but I want CoD to remain CoD, just better, more refined. Which is why I'm bummed about BF3 - I hope they haven't completely abandoned haggard and sweetwater, because BC2 had an undeniable charm. Yes, the trailer for BF3 looks great, but the mainline BF series has NEVER had a campaign. It's completely unproven, and it remains to be seen what the game actually looks and plays like on a console. It could end up a disappointing sub 30fps mess full of bugs just as easily as the next big thing.

But no one should doubt that on a polish level that MW3 will bring the goods if you like their style, and it certainly doesnt look like they're cutting corners.

Between this, BF3, Skyrim and everything else this fall, I'm seriously considering suspended animation.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #184 of 10486 Old 05-24-2011, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
So my wishes were granted and if you don't recall, the things that I wanted to see in MW3 were:

1) Day and night maps and from the trailer it looks like theres going to be some
2) AC130! or what looked like it
3) MP5

I am happy =]

PSN: Fail_At_Failing
XBL: jitu757

bbexperience: "hmm. I don't know. It's hard to notice the sensitivity of the sticks when the controller is flying through the air."
post #185 of 10486 Old 05-24-2011, 05:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitu View Post

So my wishes were granted and if you don't recall, the things that I wanted to see in MW3 were:

1) Day and night maps and from the trailer it looks like theres going to be some
2) AC130!
3) MP5

I am happy =]

Yeah, that was undoubtedly an ac130...flying over a city. Crazy. Perhaps that will be the controversial "No Russian" part of MW3...destroying a recognizable and still theoretically inhabited city (looked european) from the air.

Clearly they've made a ton of progress on destructible urban environments or none of this is even possible. Remains to be seen if any of that will translate to MP.

post #186 of 10486 Old 05-24-2011, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 111
I just hope the Sledhehammer/Infinity Ward can innovate, while maintaining C.O.D.'s high level of quality.

Oh, yeah - killer Intense trailer....definitely interested....again.
post #187 of 10486 Old 05-24-2011, 05:41 AM

Liked: 23
Overall, I was kind of underwhelmed by the trailer. I'll be more excited to see some actual gameplay footage.

And I missed the AC130, but saw they added the A10 which was pretty cool. I guess that will be a new killstreak.

PSN ID: HushH
XBL GT: HushH03
post #188 of 10486 Old 05-24-2011, 05:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hushh View Post

Overall, I was kind of underwhelmed by the trailer. I'll be more excited to see some actual gameplay footage.

And I missed the AC130, but saw they added the A10 which was pretty cool. I guess that will be a new killstreak.

Yeah, I'm generally underwhelmed by the non-gameplay trailers. But I give it a bit of a pass because we can basically assume it still plays like CoD, the important thing is where it all takes place. It certainly looked real time. I don't doubt the consoles can put that out.

That was the one thing that the BF3 trailer did very right. They showed gameplay, and specifically said real time. They didn't specify platform which basically means high end PC, so as far as I'm concerned we haven't seen the real console BF3 yet.

Too bad we have to wait till well after e3 for MP info.

post #189 of 10486 Old 05-24-2011, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

BD? I didin't know you were on AVS! Yet another ATer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

The new mp5 they showed in the leak has a foregrip and side rail instead of handguard. They did also show the cod4 and mw2 for comparison, and I swear I did see an old style mp5 in the trailer, so the old one might still make some sort of single player appearance.

The AK is absolutely the modernized one from MW2. Even the 1887 has been modernized.

And I'm pretty sure they've been very explicit about not charging a sub for MP. In either case people seem to be getting bent out of shape, assuming like it's going to be $15 a month for what's free now. It seems more likely to be $5 a month for something peripheral that few care about. I'm not concerned. In fact, I'm eager to see something worth my money that can extend the MP experience.

With that out of the way, year, I don't expect the campaign to be a huge jump over mw2. I don't want it to be. I want them to keep the same super focused, filler-less roller coaster ride. I want either less story or for them to explain it better, but I want the focus to be on moment to moment action, not cutscenes. I'm looking forward to it taking place in recognizable cities and not a junkyard or oil refinery.

I want other games to explore new formulas, but I want CoD to remain CoD, just better, more refined. Which is why I'm bummed about BF3 - I hope they haven't completely abandoned haggard and sweetwater, because BC2 had an undeniable charm. Yes, the trailer for BF3 looks great, but the mainline BF series has NEVER had a campaign. It's completely unproven, and it remains to be seen what the game actually looks and plays like on a console. It could end up a disappointing sub 30fps mess full of bugs just as easily as the next big thing.

But no one should doubt that on a polish level that MW3 will bring the goods if you like their style, and it certainly doesnt look like they're cutting corners.

Between this, BF3, Skyrim and everything else this fall, I'm seriously considering suspended animation.

Did I see a different video than you because the one I posted definitely has the standard style MP5 (non "K") with no handguards or grip (0:19 on the posted trailer). Also, the only shot I saw of an AK47 it's dark and hard to see, but the shape of the buttstock suggests it's modernized (0:54 on trailer), and I didn't even see an 1887.

Did notice the "traditional" Counter Strike GIGN apparel in the Franc3 section as well, wonder if we'll get the same GSG9 camo helmeted goodness?

"To do a 'Kabob' you have to be both a tease, and a cockblocker. So the person you 'Kabob' gets his/her hopes up only to end up being severely disappointed." -jammybastard

Xbox Live GT - I Kabob I
post #190 of 10486 Old 05-24-2011, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

LOL, skeptical guy from Hardforum posted this, as much as I love the series I thought it was funny/accurate.

Quote:

Looks like the MW formula will be in full swing!

Enter Scene w/ Bro-mazing Vehicle -> Cut Scene -> Follow Linear Path -> Squad Mates Tell You Exactly What To Do -> Do It -> Big Explosion -> Cut Scene -> Linear Path -> Fight On Set Piece With Useless Squad Mates -> End Level -> Repeat

Xbox Live GT - I Kabob I
post #191 of 10486 Old 05-24-2011, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 140
Quote:

LOL, skeptical guy from Hardforum posted this, as much as I love the series I thought it was funny/accurate.

I don't really disagree with it, but I also don't get all the complaining lately about the linearity of the FPS games. What FPS game isn't like that? That's a pretty standard model, some just don't hide it very well (Homefront, I'm looking at you chief)

XBOX Live: Ell Dudereno
post #192 of 10486 Old 05-24-2011, 06:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I don't recall CoD ever having cutscenes, but yeah, sounds about right. I hope so at least. The story in BO really held back the experience IMO - just give me some great setpieces and a loose justification to string them together. Let other games worry about story, I want a ride from CoD.

post #193 of 10486 Old 05-24-2011, 07:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

BD? I didin't know you were on AVS! Yet another

Yeah, it's me. I can barely stand the console gaming forum there anymore. It's too negative, all the adults have seemingly been scared away. Seems a bit more active and adult here.

Quote:

Did I see a different video than you because the one I posted definitely has the standard style MP5 (non "K") with no handguards or grip (0:19 on the posted trailer). Also, the only shot I saw of an AK47 it's dark and hard to see, but the shape of the buttstock suggests it's modernized (0:54 on trailer), and I didn't even see an 1887.

Did notice the "traditional" Counter Strike GIGN apparel in the Franc3 section as well, wonder if we'll get the same GSG9 camo helmeted goodness?

I'm going by the kotaku multiplayer leak from a week or two ago. They did a good job separating the SP spoilers from the MP stuff. Lots of high detail pictures of many of the guns and stuff there. The ACR and SCAR in particular look fantastic, and that foldable SMG looks badass.

http://kotaku.com/5801353/modern-war...dishu/gallery/

post #194 of 10486 Old 05-24-2011, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, it's me. I can barely stand the console gaming forum there anymore. It's too negative, all the adults have seemingly been scared away. Seems a bit more active and adult here.

Heh, I already stole Bucwylde, blowfish (GCS) and Sneaky Shark from AT, so join the club!

As for being adult, we all have our childish times. The thing is AT just isn't very active anymore.

Quote:

I'm going by the kotaku multiplayer leak from a week or two ago. They did a good job separating the SP spoilers from the MP stuff. Lots of high detail pictures of many of the guns and stuff there. The ACR and SCAR in particular look fantastic, and that foldable SMG looks badass.

http://kotaku.com/5801353/modern-war...dishu/gallery/

Oh, OK, that makes much more sense.

In the video I don't see a foregrip on any of the MP5s and I see on the ACR picture in that article that it is blatantly detached so I'm wondering if they are finally making foregrips an attachment type (which I recommended back in the CoD 4 days). Then again, knowing IW and their affinity for having "SP only" variants of weapons it wouldn't surprise me if that's just a discrepancy between SP and MP.

If they ditch the SCAR-H in favor of the SCAR-L I'll be sad, that was my favorite weapon in MW2 and there's already enough 5.56mm assault rifles shown (4/5 of those listed).

As for the folding SMG it reminds me of the Laptop Gun from Perfect Dark. I've heard of it before but it's interesting that they're adding it into the game.

Xbox Live GT - I Kabob I
post #195 of 10486 Old 05-24-2011, 07:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

In either case it's too early to tell definitively what is and isn't in the game, especially MP. For sure there has to be at least one variant of the M4/M16, AK47 and SCAR in MP. The ACR was so universally loved it just has to be in MP. If they can put an M4 and M16 in the same game, they can put a SCAR H and L as well.

I hope one day they can finally figure a way around these memory limitations and cram as many guns in there as forza has cars. Maybe next gen.

post #196 of 10486 Old 05-24-2011, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:

2) AC130! or what looked like it
3) MP5

I am happy =]

Destructible environments please that allow for map expansion as walls, buildings, etc. are destroyed.
After that remove commando forever, danger close, OMA, and kill streaks that equal more kill streaks. I think the trailer looks sweet and expect it to hold my interest as much or more than MW2 did when it came out.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #197 of 10486 Old 05-24-2011, 07:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Destructible environments please that allow for map expansion as walls, buildings, etc. are destroyed.
After that remove commando forever, danger close, OMA, and kill streaks that equal more kill streaks. I think the trailer looks sweet and expect it to hold my interest as much or more than MW2 did when it came out.

See, that's the one thing I'm not sure I want. A good CoD map, the ones IW are particularly good at making, is like a finely tuned area where every vantage point is well thought out as to what is exposed or not. Making it destructible in MP breaks that tuning and balance. It works fine for the more freeform nature and large scale of BF, but I'm not so sure I want CoD maps to change and destroy like that. Even if it is ridiculously unrealistic, it's counter to what the game is all about.

post #198 of 10486 Old 05-24-2011, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not sure if they will be able to add destructible environments just because it requires a lot more work to implement and with the game engine involved and the time frame given, I am not holding my breath but yeah it would be cool to have.

Agreed on removing super human knife lunge and danger close. My #1 is to remove quickscoping. Make sniper rifles harder to use. This alone I think will filter out those obnoxious kids from ever touching this game.

Reduce the killstreaks but not limit it to 3. I think the idea of rewarding a player with awesome killstreak is great and gives one the satisfaction of palying the game. If one is good enough to go 10, 12 or 25 kills without dying and then there is something to be earned besides being on top of the scoreboard everygame.

bbexperience: "hmm. I don't know. It's hard to notice the sensitivity of the sticks when the controller is flying through the air."
post #199 of 10486 Old 05-24-2011, 08:00 AM

Liked: 16
Anyone notice the guy at 1:05 shooting with arms overhead from behind cover?
Glad to see the Famas at 0:36 as well!

Xbox GT: Crowsslt1
post #200 of 10486 Old 05-24-2011, 08:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Not sure if they will be able to add destructible environments just because it requires a lot more work to implement and with the game engine involved and the time frame given, I am not holding my breath but yeah it would be cool to have.

Agreed on removing super human knife lunge and danger close. My #1 is to remove quickscoping. Make sniper rifles harder to use. This alone I think will filter out those obnoxious kids from ever touching this game.

Reduce the killstreaks but not limit it to 3. I think the idea of rewarding a player with awesome killstreak is great and gives one the satisfaction of palying the game. If one is good enough to go 10, 12 or 25 kills without dying and then there is something to be earned besides being on top of the scoreboard everygame.

What I really want is for the killstreaks not to be based on well, killstreaks. It actively discourages teamplay and risk taking. The idea of in game bonuses doled out throughout the game is good, but it should reward overall good play and/or even the score a bit for a team far behind. The current system is broken. You should get credit for capping flags, you shouldn't lose all your momentum from a single death.

The perfect system as I'd imagine it would be this: You can customize each class with 2-3 streaks of varying strength, that way you can tune your streaks per playstyle/mode.

You have a power bar similar to Street fighter. As you kill, cap flags, plant bombs etc, it grows. Perhaps even as you die or have flags capped, it shrinks. If your team is far behind, it grows a bit quicker, and vice versa. Occasionally, probably tied to leveling and/or challenges, you get the occasional random bonus, so even scrubs can fly an AC-130 now and then, instead of this silly care package nonsense.

You can then either use the light streaks more often, or save up for one big one, but it's all coming from the same pool.

You'd have a lot less camping, and way more intense objective games. Domination wouldn't feel like a lost cause when you're 30 behind anymore.

Tuned properly I can't imagine anyone but the most heinous camper think itd be a vast improvement. I hope they're aware of their flaws and work to improve rather than exacerbate them.

post #201 of 10486 Old 05-24-2011, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What I really want is for the killstreaks not to be based on well, killstreaks. It actively discourages teamplay and risk taking. The idea of in game bonuses doled out throughout the game is good, but it should reward overall good play and/or even the score a bit for a team far behind. The current system is broken. You should get credit for capping flags, you shouldn't lose all your momentum from a single death.

The perfect system as I'd imagine it would be this: You can customize each class with 2-3 streaks of varying strength, that way you can tune your streaks per playstyle/mode.

You have a power bar similar to Street fighter. As you kill, cap flags, plant bombs etc, it grows. Perhaps even as you die or have flags capped, it shrinks. If your team is far behind, it grows a bit quicker, and vice versa. Occasionally, probably tied to leveling and/or challenges, you get the occasional random bonus, so even scrubs can fly an AC-130 now and then, instead of this silly care package nonsense.

You can then either use the light streaks more often, or save up for one big one, but it's all coming from the same pool.

You'd have a lot less camping, and way more intense objective games. Domination wouldn't feel like a lost cause when you're 30 behind anymore.

Tuned properly I can't imagine anyone but the most heinous camper think itd be a vast improvement. I hope they're aware of their flaws and work to improve rather than exacerbate them.

I like the idea of the power bar you mentioned. Not sure how it will force one to kill, capture and defend but the idea is good.

post #202 of 10486 Old 05-24-2011, 08:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowSS View Post

Anyone notice the guy at 1:05 shooting with arms overhead from behind cover?
Glad to see the Famas at 0:36 as well!

The AI does that all the time. I wouldn't read into it.

I also thought I saw the distinct handle of a Famas.

post #203 of 10486 Old 05-24-2011, 08:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I like the idea of the power bar you mentioned. Not sure how it will force one to kill, capture and defend but the idea is good.

Because the bar should grow quickly for objective based actions. A flag cap in CTF is worth a dozen kills. When you get bonuses for capping flags, and when a single death doesnt set all your progress back, all of a sudden camping in a corner becomes the least efficient way to score an AC130, and you have to participate to win.

People respond to incentives. The best way to play should be the right way to play, the most fun way to play.

Right now it's like a soccer player getting a bonus for just kicking the ball around randomly instead of only toward the goal. It's silly.

post #204 of 10486 Old 05-24-2011, 08:30 AM

BD, I think that's a great idea. Hope you submitted that to IW.

post #205 of 10486 Old 05-24-2011, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

soccer... It's silly.

agreed

Mits-WS55413;Denon-3803;ToshibaXA1 HD-DVD;Klipsch- RF35;Samsung-TS160;SVS PB12plus/2
XBL GT - se7entee7
post #206 of 10486 Old 05-24-2011, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Because the bar should grow quickly for objective based actions. A flag cap in CTF is worth a dozen kills. When you get bonuses for capping flags, and when a single death doesnt set all your progress back, all of a sudden camping in a corner becomes the least efficient way to score an AC130, and you have to participate to win.

People respond to incentives. The best way to play should be the right way to play, the most fun way to play.

Right now it's like a soccer player getting a bonus for just kicking the ball around randomly instead of only toward the goal. It's silly.

Gotcha! I really like this idea as well.

post #207 of 10486 Old 05-24-2011, 08:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hushh View Post

BD, I think that's a great idea. Hope you submitted that to IW.

I dunno if you've ever been to the official CoD forums, but for an M rated game I'd swear the average age is 11. The level of discussion is so abysmal that any decent idea would be lost in the nonsense, and I'm sure that kind of thing is long locked down by now anyway. I've just got my fingers crossed that they know what's wrong with their own game.

post #208 of 10486 Old 05-24-2011, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Getting rid of Danger Close, OMA, Commando, and Quick Scoping would have fixed the vast majority of MW2's problems.

Quote:

Quote:

That's actually a really good idea. Seriously, what's everyone's biggest complaint in non-TDM matches? Morons play every game type like TDM. What's the point of playing Domination if you're going to camp in a corner away from the objectives?

A few of us have been saying since MW2 that they need to let you link various killstreaks with classes. Sure you may be good enough to get your Chopper Gunner but you're probably not going to get it when you're sprinting to capture the flag.

Xbox Live GT - I Kabob I
post #209 of 10486 Old 05-24-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:

I dunno if you've ever been to the official CoD forums, but for an M rated game I'd swear the average age is 11. The level of discussion is so abysmal that any decent idea would be lost in the nonsense, and I'm sure that kind of thing is long locked down by now anyway. I've just got my fingers crossed that they know what's wrong with their own game.

No, I don't think I've ever been there. I was thinking more direct channels such as DMing some of the developers/product guys.

Sadly, as great of an idea as it is, I don't know how far it would get. The pre-teen/teen demographic is a huge part of their market whether they'll admit it or not, and I think it has a lot to do with how the game plays the way it does today. We were commenting in the CoD4 thread about what a great pure FPS it really is, but I don't think we'll ever see anything like it again. It's all about bigger, badder, and setting the sales records higher each time.

post #210 of 10486 Old 05-24-2011, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Yeah I'm in no way impressed. This is the new engine really? All they show is cut scenes and it's still underwhelming. Whoever mentioned the stripping specific scenes from action movies, was that Speed that they recreated in the Subway? Hopefully they do indeed release a Beta, it is about the only thing that could get me interested now.
Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page