Microsoft fires the first shot in the "NEXT" generation.... - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #271 of 7006 Old 03-24-2011, 04:44 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKRocha View Post
Someone may have already said this, but the game media will not be a disc.

In 2yrs, you won't need an optical drive for anything. If XBL's state with Netflix,Zune, ESPN, etc all have streamable/downloadable now, it will be the only future for all other media.

The XB720 will look in form like the most recent STB from DTV or TWC. It will include a power button, wireless, hdmi, legacy audio/video, and media slot. That's it. Can't wait.
I'm glad all you guys are in favor of full price games. I actually like stores where I can buy at a discount. Discs for me please, and the option to rent.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 7006 Old 03-24-2011, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Oh I doubt BR will get in the next Xbox. I just think it isn't as cut and dry as some seem to think. I truly believe HD-DVD will be used really because MS could care less about BR anytime soon. PCs don't need it for software and probably never will. Whether someone wants to buck up to get BR in is another story. I don't know if BR growth is where the industry wants it and if concessions to MS are needed to get more players into homes. I don't think anyone here knows that.

I am just trying to see it from both sides and I wouldn't be shocked if BR did get in the 720. I am hoping personally for benefits to people who download instead of continuing the disc market where everyone loses except the customer. As much as we would like to think MS cares about the customer, they care a whole lot more about profit. Killing off the used market is the dream of every game business except the stores who make billions off of used games.

Xbox Live: TheRealMaxPower --- PSN: TheRealMaxPower

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

Theater- Benq W1070    Elite 120" projection...

post #273 of 7006 Old 03-24-2011, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote_5 View Post
You be sure to let me know when netflix streaming catches up to BR in content and quality.
Especially quality. Good luck with that.

Read. Think. Post. In that order, preferably

"If the Playstation and Xbox are like the Bloods and the Crips, then the Wii is whatever gang Sha Na Na was in" - Christian Finnegan
post #274 of 7006 Old 03-24-2011, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbexperience View Post
Especially quality. Good luck with that.
Netflix is fine for movies I have seen before. It isn't even close for new titles. You would need at least 20MB/s for it to be high quality and I couldn't even guess when that will happen. Maybe sometime before I die!

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

post #275 of 7006 Old 03-24-2011, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:

In 2yrs, you won't need an optical drive for anything. If XBL's state with Netflix,Zune, ESPN, etc all have streamable/downloadable now, it will be the only future for all other media.

Wow now we're down to 2 years before optical drives are obsolete?!

You dream big, chief, I'll give you that.

Yes it's the future, but that future isn't in 2 years.

XBOX Live: Ell Dudereno
post #276 of 7006 Old 03-24-2011, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes View Post

Netflix is fine for movies I have seen before. It isn't even close for new titles. You would need at least 20MB/s for it to be high quality and I couldn't even guess when that will happen. Maybe sometime before I die!

Yep, and even with that type of connection it's not even close to as good as a blu-ray. Unfortunately, fewer and fewer people care about that and are willing to watch (and listen) to a garbage quality stream and be satisfied.

"If the Playstation and Xbox are like the Bloods and the Crips, then the Wii is whatever gang Sha Na Na was in" - Christian Finnegan
post #277 of 7006 Old 03-24-2011, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
128kbps MP3 over CD wav has already proven that people will overlook quality for convenience. Netflix streaming will be good enough for vast majority of the people out there.
post #278 of 7006 Old 03-24-2011, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameboy View Post

128kbps MP3 over CD wav has already proven that people will overlook quality for convenience. Netflix streaming will be good enough for vast majority of the people out there.

Sad but true.

post #279 of 7006 Old 03-24-2011, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 140
maybe so, but a big reason people are accepting lossy formats is the ipod, i.e. listening to music on lower quality equipment, relatively speaking, often in noisy environments, where the differences in quality between lossless and lossy formats is reduced or hidden altogether.

Not the same as they guy who wonders why the movie playing on his expensive 1080p tv looks like it's being viewed through vaseline.

apples and oranges.

XBOX Live: Ell Dudereno
post #280 of 7006 Old 03-24-2011, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote_5 View Post

maybe so, but a big reason people are accepting lossy formats is the ipod, i.e. listening to music on lower quality equipment, relatively speaking, often in noisy environments, where the differences in quality between lossless and lossy formats is reduced or hidden altogether.

Not the same as they guy who wonders why the movie playing on his expensive 1080p tv looks like it's being viewed through vaseline.

apples and oranges.

I think it is a combo of things. Too small of HDTVs, and the ignorance of something much better. I go to friends and families houses and they have Comcast. It is absolutely terrible. I have been able to get people to switch to Fios and they have noticed a difference.

I think a lot of people are ignorant about MP3 downloads. They assume it is CD quality and it isn't even close. Really how many people are shown the differences between BR and DVD? It is hard for people to switch back and forth between the two watching the same material. Same thing with MP3s and CDs. People just don't know what they are missing. I would imagine with time people will find the light with BR on a big HDTV. I don't think that will be the case with audio though. Everyone is caught up in the Bose BS and think that a super small speaker sounds like a large speaker. I want to throw up every time I see a Bose commercial. Better sound through research my @ss!

post #281 of 7006 Old 03-25-2011, 01:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameboy View Post

I don't think either of the major players (Amazon and iTunes) even sell songs at 128 kbps anymore because people complained about the quality. I know Amazon's are 256 kbps variable MP3. I'm not 100% sure about iTunes because I don't use it, but I think they're using 256 kbps constant AAC.

Also, music is a completely different animal than video. It's a lot harder to distinguish between uncompressed WAV and 256 kbps compressed MP3 than it is to see the difference between a Netflix "HD" stream and a blu-ray, especially when the equipment most people use for their music is an iPod or similar MP3 player.

The thing is, nobody wants lower quality but many either don't know any better or (like our own Daekwan) are willing to sacrifice it for the sake of convenience. It'll be interesting to see what happens in 2 or 3 years when they finally phase out DVD movies and people are "forced" to go blu-ray for their physical media. Once more people are exposed to it will a huge number of them still settle for streaming quality? Maybe. And that will be a sad, sad, day.

post #282 of 7006 Old 03-25-2011, 01:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbexperience View Post

Once more people are exposed to it will a huge number of them still settle for streaming quality? Maybe. And that will be a sad, sad, day.

Call me a cynic, but I think we've already passed that point. Blu-ray will be like premium cable channels, where only a handful of the viewing audience cares enough to pay more for better quality. Streaming services are cheaper, more convenient, of "good enough" quality, and are everywhere. It's a done deal IMO, if we're talking about non-gaming media.

Not saying high-end physical media will disappear; AV heads such as ourselves will keep it alive. But I am saying that I don't think Blu-ray will become the de facto standard the way that DVD is/was. Streaming content is well on its way to replacing DVD as the popular standard. Think of it this way: what new hardware are more people watching movies on, blu-ray players or iPads?

Hell, I was just talking to a friend tonight at dinner. He and his fiancee were saying that they want to get a 360 or PS3 so they can watch Netflix!! This is the direction most people are going. It's a done deal.

Regardless, for gaming media, MS will need some sort of large physical media. They could go with a different format, but why the hell not toss in something like Blu-ray that can better help sell your device as the all-in-one home theater player? It might mean paying out some licensing money, but why not kill two birds with one (small) stone? Does MS really want to follow Apple's example of resisting Flash support just out of stubbornness?

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #283 of 7006 Old 03-25-2011, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Regardless, for gaming media, MS will need some sort of large physical media. They could go with a different format, but why the hell not toss in something like Blu-ray that can better help sell your device as the all-in-one home theater player? It might mean paying out some licensing money, but why not kill two birds with one (small) stone? Does MS really want to follow Apple's example of resisting Flash support just out of stubbornness?

This is my thinking as well. Neither the PS3 or XBOX are solely gaming systems any longer, as both companies want them to be all-in-one boxes (you come home, turn on the XBOX, and you don't have to turn it off). Heck, if it was affordable, I'm sure they'd throw in a 2TB hard drive and Tivo/cable card capabilities.

Even as streaming takes over, you'll still need a BD drive....at least next gen....to get the "it does everything" monicker like the PS3 now advertises.

As for streaming...LOVE IT! Wave of the future, baby. Just watched Resident Evil Afterlife on Vudu HDX last night. Crappy movie, but on my 50" plasma, looked close enough to BD for me (there was maybe about 30-60 seconds total throughout where I saw some artifacts or something else). However it was missing 10-15 minutes of trailers and commercials at the beginning and the 2 months of waiting for it to ship from Netflix only to arrive as a stripped down Rental Only version

I don't care what you guys think.....love having tons of titles at a push of a button (it's the dream, baby!) and the quality of the high-end streaming (Vudu and Zune) is now there for me, and the lower end stuff (Netflix) is just fine for about 80% of movies I like (documentaries, dramas, etc). I do wish Vudu was a bit cheaper though. I'm even somewhat of a videophile (not much of an audophile though), but even my 50" TV and lowly 5.1 lossless-capable system is better than what about 95% of people out there so I'm not surprised to see how popular it is becoming.

As it is, the only movies I must see on BD are heavy action or sci-fi movies or special-effects laden movies, but even so, I'm becoming more and more likely to watch those on Vudu rather than deal with the Very Long Wait status and waiting to have physical media shipped to me. It's becoming too inconvenient with the studio delays, long waits, shipping times, stripped down rental versions, forced trailers, and don't get me started on the commercials on BD discs (I've seen car commercials and anti-smoking ones, and the god-awful Digital Copy and "We know you're watching Blu-ray but here's a commercial for Blu-ray anyways" things drive me nuts).

My thinking is also that streaming has come from nothing (or like 360p) to Vudu HDX quality in about 2 or 3 years. It'll be even better 2 years from now as more competition arises and by the time the Nextbox/720 comes out. Heck, just in the last few months, Netflix has gone from 720p/stereo to 1080p/5.1 with captions (at least on some titles) on the PS3 and I a couple other players. Yeah, it's low-bitrate 1080p, but that's still a huge improvement over where it was 5 months ago. Who knows what it'll be like in another 12 months. It's only going to get better.

Point is, technology in that arena moves fast and is not stagnant....it might not be good enough for your particular tastes today, but that doesn't mean you should wish it to die since improvements keep being made and the potential is huge.
post #284 of 7006 Old 03-25-2011, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 254
I just had a brilliant idea. How about instead of blu-ray or dvd or whatever. Microsoft goes back to vinyl. How cool would it be to get a stack of records next time you purchase Gears of War? Plus, analog video is far superior to digital. It has a warmth that I just can't explain.

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

post #285 of 7006 Old 03-25-2011, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams84 View Post

I just had a brilliant idea. How about instead of blu-ray or dvd or whatever. Microsoft goes back to vinyl. How cool would it be to get a stack of records next time you purchase Gears of War? Plus, analog video is far superior to digital. It has a warmth that I just can't explain.

Ha. I actually just came in here to post that they should go back to the floppy disk. Please insert disk number 835.

It's got to be a royalty free format by now.

XBL & PSN - Harpua77
post #286 of 7006 Old 03-25-2011, 06:26 AM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

Not to mention.. whats the biggest selling feature on new BR players:

Streaming services lol

Amazing that top BR players make sure to include the ability to stream Netflix. But please let the guy continue telling us all how we "need" BR.

Streaming is a selling point. Not the biggest selling point. Get real. People buy Blu-Ray players to play Blu-Ray and DVD. Streaming is a bonus.
post #287 of 7006 Old 03-25-2011, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha21 View Post

no, all they need is first to market

Releasing first does not mean you finish first.....Dreamcast.
post #288 of 7006 Old 03-25-2011, 06:37 AM

Quote:

The XB720 will look in form like the most recent STB from DTV or TWC. It will include a power button, wireless, hdmi, legacy audio/video, and media slot. That's it. Can't wait.

Whatever you are smoking....I want some.
post #289 of 7006 Old 03-25-2011, 06:50 AM

It is really becoming tiring see all these posts about how Nintendo has proven you can sell consoles without movie support. The Wii is a Toy. It is old technology that sold on a gimmick (Motion) and a low price point. Unless the next xbox is launching with mind control, that ship has sailed.

There will be a physical distribution model for the next round of consoles, supplemented by connected content. MS and Sony will use the next Gen to further establish digital distribution but the infrastructure is not there to make it the main format.

The only question is..... Will it be Blu-Ray or some other disc based format?

It will not be DVD. Obsolete.
It will not be Flash. Won't be cheap enough.

I don't think some of you realize how close to 2015 we are.
post #290 of 7006 Old 03-25-2011, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiochus View Post

Releasing first does not mean you finish first.....Dreamcast.

you totally missed that point

we're not talking about finishing
we are talking about people buying it when it releases. you say that people won't if it doesn't have a BD drive, I say they will because it's new (first to market).

I in no way am arguing the success, or lack there of, a nexgen xbox

Mits-WS55413;Denon-3803;ToshibaXA1 HD-DVD;Klipsch- RF35;Samsung-TS160;SVS PB12plus/2
XBL GT - se7entee7
post #291 of 7006 Old 03-25-2011, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha21 View Post

you totally missed that point

we're not talking about finishing
we are talking about people buying it when it releases. you say that people won't if it doesn't have a BD drive, I say they will because it's new (first to market).

I in no way am arguing the success, or lack there of, a nexgen xbox

Well, if Microsoft does not want to be successful then, I guess they should scrap the BR drive by all means. Not sure why I ever thought success should be part of the equation.
post #292 of 7006 Old 03-25-2011, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Well, if Microsoft does not want to be successful then, I guess they should scrap the BR drive by all means. Not sure why I ever thought success should be part of the equation.

it is part of the equation, it just has no effect on the topic at hand

but when things don't go you way, by all means change the subject

Mits-WS55413;Denon-3803;ToshibaXA1 HD-DVD;Klipsch- RF35;Samsung-TS160;SVS PB12plus/2
XBL GT - se7entee7
post #293 of 7006 Old 03-25-2011, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:

It is really becoming tiring see all these posts about how Nintendo has proven you can sell consoles without movie support. The Wii is a Toy. It is old technology that sold on a gimmick (Motion) and a low price point. Unless the next xbox is launching with mind control, that ship has sailed.

There will be a physical distribution model for the next round of consoles, supplemented by connected content. MS and Sony will use the next Gen to further establish digital distribution but the infrastructure is not there to make it the main format.

The only question is..... Will it be Blu-Ray or some other disc based format?

It will not be DVD. Obsolete.
It will not be Flash. Won't be cheap enough.

I don't think some of you realize how close to 2015 we are.

Well. If the Mayans are right, we'll all be sucked up in a galactic black hole and end up trapped for eternity in the next XBox game. So format won't matter by 2015. I'm being facetious. I agree with some of your previous comments on this thread.

In all seriusness though. You keep calling stuff obsolete that is winning big in the marketplace. The Wii may be a toy. But the PS3 and XBox are just bigger toys for bigger boys. And last time I looked, that Wii toy had lapped the field on its bigger brethren. In fact both big brothers were forced to launch their own "Gimmicks" just to keep up while lowering their price points to stay in the game. I share your enthusiasm for Blu-Ray. And I think it is going to be around a lot longer than most of us think. And so will DVD's. For the average/everyday consumer of video, upscaled DVD on a HDTV IS HD. And it is perfect to them. So the $1.99-$3.99 DVD specials are going to be around for at least 15-20 more years. Especially as Super Resolution Technology in HDTV's continue to improve and be incorporated (4k by 2K) in future displays. When that stuff (SRT) comes fully on line, most everything will look like full HD (Blu-Ray, Streaming, DVD et al). Blu-Ray will still be the creme de la creme. But its superiority won't be obvious to everyday consumers. It isn't obvious to most of them over DVD right now. Many of them are buying cheap Blu-Ray players and buying DVDs to upscale and watch in 1080p on their HDTV's. Cheap price with high quality is the winner. It will matter to us connosuiers. But the bigger point is MS doesn't need Blu-Ray or especially BD-Live/JAVA for its nexgen console. Get over it everyone. It's not going to happen. MS will not concede one inch to its arch nemesis, Sun Microsystems (JAVA). That is what dooms Blu-Ray with the NexBox. Not Sony. And to the vast majority of users of the XBox Blu-Ray is irrelevant. Especially if MS incorporates its own high storage disk media (HDDVD) in the nexgen. I know. Because I own an XBox 360, PS3 and a "toy" Wii. I also own separate Blu-Ray players for different rooms. I and most XBox users could care less if nexgen had a Blu-Ray drive in it. Because I'll never watch movies on it. Just like I didn't watch HDDVD movies on the original XBOX 360, even though I had a HDDVD drive (Later sold). I bought 2 Toshiba HD-DVD players (HD-A135's) which I still own and enjoy my 135+ HDDVDs on. People with big libraries of DVD's don't care as much about Blu-ray as we think. Because they will not duplicate their investments in DVD's. Especially when they look so good on their 720/1080p HDTV's. And when the SRT 4k by 2K models show up that are capable of upscaling 480i to newer and much higher resolutions (4000 x 2000) all bets are off. And you can be 1000% sure this is in MS thinking. Why add cost and pay royalties for a premium drive system. When they can install their own premium drive system (HDDVD-51) that is just as good for games as Blu-Ray, costs the same or lower than DVD (because they own exclusive rights) and will upscale the DVD to the higher SRT resolutions. Sounds like a no brainer for MS to me.
post #294 of 7006 Old 03-25-2011, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't know, the more I think about it, Sony is just as likely to try to get to market first. Pretty sure they are pissed that they lost so much market share this generation. I can't see 2015 at all. One of them will want to make sure they are first by releasing a year before the other thinks they are.

By the end of this year MS will be in third place with console sales. Sony is only 3 million behind (from the last numbers I saw) and they outsell MS in every market but here. I personally think they shot themselves in the foot with RROD, but MS reasons for a new console will arise once they drop to third. 2013 at the latest IMO as MS must be thinking Sony is aiming for 2014. Whenever it is released I hope it is completely hidden until E3 of the year of release. I am not a patient person and having to read speculation kills me.

post #295 of 7006 Old 03-25-2011, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I also think the Wii isn't making as much as the 360. Most people just like the Dance games and Sports so they don't bother much with buying a ton of games. I know I most likely will skip their next machine unless they put more power in it than the current gen (and no sign of MS or Sony releasing their new consoles). Nintendo has a bunch of big sellers (mostly Nintendo's famous IPs) but common games don't do all that well.

I have bought something like 40 games for the 360 (2 used) and own 5 Wii games. Even the PS3 which I bought for a BR player, I own something like 10 games. I have had Live for 8 years so MS has gotten $400 from me just for that!

On another note, What are the chances that MS tries to launch a TV service? Talk about an all inclusive box, that would really expand their reach and profits.

post #296 of 7006 Old 03-25-2011, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Digital delivery is DOA if the Telecoms continue with their caps and overages...

The Big players are going to have to seriously deal to get exempt from those charges if they are to succeed.

PSN: Wrassle
360: Burnt of Wrassl
post #297 of 7006 Old 03-25-2011, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoyledimou View Post

Digital delivery is DOA if the Telecoms continue with their caps and overages...

The Big players are going to have to seriously deal to get exempt from those charges if they are to succeed.

Most of the year a 20GB download wouldn't put 99% of people over the cap. October-December may be a different story as some gamers buy 3-4 games in one month. Regardless I don't think DD is the only option next gen. After that I would hope the backbone of the internet is much stronger and caps become a thing of the past (or raised to a level that 99% of people won't hit).

post #298 of 7006 Old 03-25-2011, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Didnt Oppo or another company have a HD DVD / Blu Ray combo player a while back? I think backwards compatibility is going to be a big issue that MS will not want to ignore for next gen, so some kind of optical drive will be needed.

A combo drive could work, if they made it require a dongle / add on purchase to enable the Blu Ray functionality (for licensing purposes)..?

Otherwise, the HD DVD drive seems logical..
post #299 of 7006 Old 03-25-2011, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 34
How bout this. Launch day Xbox 720 price 99.99 with 5 year contract of Gold Membership. Microsoft just made 400 bucks!
Oh and a free game each year, while I'm at it.
post #300 of 7006 Old 03-25-2011, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia88 View Post

How bout this. Launch day Xbox 720 price 99.99 with 5 year contract of Gold Membership. Microsoft just made 400 bucks!
Oh and a free game each year, while I'm at it.

Why would they do that when they can charge $400+ for 720 and then hit you up for $60/yr for Live? Live is a cash cow for them.

Closed Thread Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page