Microsoft fires the first shot in the "NEXT" generation.... - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #451 of 7006 Old 03-29-2011, 12:34 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member
 
Yrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Elkton, MD
Posts: 2,813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd View Post

so it begins.

"We are conducting an open call for US based participants* for a public preview to help us prepare for an updated Xbox 360 disc format. "



Keyword: XBOX 360

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Yrd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #452 of 7006 Old 03-29-2011, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
formulanerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Colorado
Posts: 9,373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

lol..../thread. Where'd this come from?

major nelson, on twitter.... you can sign up for the preview on MS connect.



unsure if they're addressing storage or piracy at this time.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

Keyword: XBOX 360

yes, xbox 360, now, spring update.


couldn't care less about speculation of some future console, i'm curious as to what they're trying to do with dvd... or what "materials" they're sending out with the test kit... maybe a new drive?

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
formulanerd is offline  
post #453 of 7006 Old 03-29-2011, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dragonyeuw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

the xbox3 (please stop calling it a 720, that's the worst name ever)

It's not likely to be called an xbox 3 either, especially as it's going against the PS4. MS went with '360' specifically to avoid the perception of being 'inferior' to the PS3.

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

dragonyeuw is offline  
post #454 of 7006 Old 03-29-2011, 12:40 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member
 
Yrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Elkton, MD
Posts: 2,813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd View Post

major nelson, on twitter.... you can sign up for the preview on MS connect.



unsure if they're addressing storage or piracy at this time.




yes, xbox 360, now, spring update.


couldn't care less about speculation of some future console, i'm curious as to what they're trying to do with dvd... or what "materials" they're sending out with the test kit... maybe a new drive?


I just did a google search for the line you posted, here's the entire thing:

Quote:


I am happy to announce that we're doing an Xbox 360 System Update Preview program for our next release, and the opportunity to sign up is now available. We are conducting an open call for US based participants* for a public preview to help us prepare for an updated Xbox 360 disc format. This is an important update as we continually strive to improve our products and we could not do so without the help of our great Xbox community. As part of the preview program, you will receive a copy of Halo: Reach along with other possible rewards.

Much like we did last year, you'll need to visit the Microsoft Connect site from this link and sign in with your Windows LIVE ID that is connected to your Xbox LIVE Gamertag. Once you complete the survey that is presented to you, the Connect site will provide program related updates and you will receive a mail once the selection process is completed.

A couple of points before you head off to register:

We're looking for multiple thousands of participants, so your chances of making it in are good.

This opportunity is open to Xbox LIVE Members in US region only*.

To avoid any problems, read the survey carefully and double check all the information you provide.

While both Xbox LIVE Gold and Silver members can sign up, priority will be given to Gold members in the selection process.

*Due to disc distribution limitations, this beta it will be limited to residents of the United States only.



I'll be sure to update this post if the program fills up.

Sign up for the Xbox LIVE Update Preview Program

March 29th 2011 at 11:26 am | Preview, Xbox 360, Xbox Live
By Larry Hryb, Xbox LIVE's Major Nelson


My guess is it's nothing to do with hardware, honestly there's no way they could change hardware for all the consoles that are in homes. It wouldn't make any sense.

It's some type of new disc format, meaning the file system or the encryption or DRM, something along those lines.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Yrd is offline  
post #455 of 7006 Old 03-29-2011, 12:43 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member
 
Yrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Elkton, MD
Posts: 2,813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

It's not like to be called an xbox 3 either, especially as it's going against the PS4. MS went with '360' specifically to avoid the perception of being 'inferior' to the PS3.

I understand that, but calling it the xbox 720 is horrible, every time someone does it, you kill a newborn baby. I just killed one.

It will probably be called something equally horrible like the Kinnectbox. Kinnect is a pretty bad name too.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Yrd is offline  
post #456 of 7006 Old 03-29-2011, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dragonyeuw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

I understand that, but calling it the xbox 720 is horrible,

Perhaps, it's just a name that's happened to catch on until MS officially announces the next xbox in the year 20*whenever*, with just as wonky a name as '360' I'm sure....

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

dragonyeuw is offline  
post #457 of 7006 Old 03-29-2011, 12:51 PM
Member
 
Antiochus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 168
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

I understand that, but calling it the xbox 720 is horrible, every time someone does it, you kill a newborn baby. I just killed one.

It will probably be called something equally horrible like the Kinnectbox. Kinnect is a pretty bad name too.

Microsoft buys Sony and we get the XStation.
Antiochus is offline  
post #458 of 7006 Old 03-29-2011, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
barrelbelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiochus View Post

This shows that you are out of touch with real life. These conversations happen every day. Of course many kids control the purchase but many don't. My kids certainly do not control what I ultimately decide to buy them. If I don't like their choice, I make it. There are still lots of parent's out their that don't allow their kids to run them like that. In fact, many parent's will decide on Price alone, which partially explains why the Wii sells so well and also helps explain why so many playstation 2s were sold after the PS3 came out. Just at my son's school alone, several of his friends got Wii's for Christmas back in 2008, when they all wanted PS3s.

Parents ask questions when there is $400+ on the line.

I'll meet you 50/50 on this one. You made some excellent points in your argument. And I concede that the decision happens in many households exactly like you said. But I'm not as OOT as you think. I suspect that if teens and above want an XBox and/or PS3. It happens pretty much as me and others have described. That's what is so dynamic about the USA marketplace. One size never fits all. And neither does Blu-Ray. Good comment!
barrelbelly is offline  
post #459 of 7006 Old 03-29-2011, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
alpha21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: minn
Posts: 3,887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

Forget the fact that sony helped create blu ray and may get some royalties. Why is it such a hindrance for the xbox3 (please stop calling it a 720, that's the worst name ever) to play the medium that is poised to take over for DVD.

ok, lets get past them (I never argued those points)

so (let's say) it's not a hindrance, but how then is it helpful?

you say it's poised, but there is no way in hell MS believes that, or wishes that to happen. by helping sell more BD movies, they can only hurt themselves more, not help. that's one less possible Zune buy

so even if I forget the fact about Sony and royalties, MS does not

Mits-WS55413;Denon-3803;ToshibaXA1 HD-DVD;Klipsch- RF35;Samsung-TS160;SVS PB12plus/2
XBL GT - se7entee7
alpha21 is offline  
post #460 of 7006 Old 03-29-2011, 01:04 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member
 
Yrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Elkton, MD
Posts: 2,813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha21 View Post

ok, lets get past them (I never argued those points)


...by helping sell more BD movies...

That is you arguing that point.
Edit: Maybe it's not how you mean it, but that's how it reads when you post that same sentence. Which you have posted a few times already.

Sony doesn't own every blu ray movie, just like they don't own every dvd movie. People buy DVDs still and will play them on the xbox.

People buy both, they rent zune movies and they buy blurays and dvds. Sometimes you want to pay the $6 to watch the movie now and not go down to the redbox or wait for netflix or go to the store. Maybe it's not worth the money to buy it because it's only a mediocre movie. But just because it may sell a movie doesn't mean it's taking away sales from the other. You can just as easily buy the movie on DVD right now. Sony has movies on DVDs too.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Yrd is offline  
post #461 of 7006 Old 03-29-2011, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
alpha21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: minn
Posts: 3,887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

That is you arguing that point.

Sony doesn't own every blu ray movie, just like they don't own every dvd movie. People buy DVDs still and will play them on the xbox.

People buy both, they rent zune movies and they buy blurays and dvds. Sometimes you want to pay the $6 to watch the movie now and not go down to the redbox or wait for netflix or go to the store. Maybe it's not worth the money to buy it because it's only a mediocre movie. But just because it may sell a movie doesn't mean it's taking away sales from the other. You can just as easily buy the movie on DVD right now. Sony has movies on DVDs too.

I'm not talking about movie studios

if you want an HD movie, you have two choices, BD or Zune
which one does MS want you to buy?

by having DVD, the 360 is helping the DVD forum, which is good for basically everyone. by selling more BD, that is not good for everyone, and therefor even less good for MS.

all I was saying is that I never said "Sony created it" (though I may have meant it) and never said "royalties"

Mits-WS55413;Denon-3803;ToshibaXA1 HD-DVD;Klipsch- RF35;Samsung-TS160;SVS PB12plus/2
XBL GT - se7entee7
alpha21 is offline  
post #462 of 7006 Old 03-29-2011, 01:20 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member
 
Yrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Elkton, MD
Posts: 2,813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha21 View Post

I'm not talking about movie studios

if you want an HD movie, you have two choices, BD or Zune
which one does MS want you to buy?

by having DVD, the 360 is helping the DVD forum, which is good for basically everyone. by selling more BD, that is not good for everyone, and therefor even less good for MS.

all I was saying is that I never said "Sony created it" (though I may have meant it) and never said "royalties"


I don't know how it's NOT good for everyone, maybe MS being a bitch about losing to Sun over the interface. But it's going to eventually take over DVD. DVD is outdated, it's the way of technology, capacity has to increase, the systems are in place. Unless there's another format that comes out and all the big names back it, which isn't likely as there hasn't been any tech announcements or discoveries. Blu Ray is the likely solution.

Yes they want to sell Zune movies, but they also want to sell a system to someone like me that wants the blu ray drive too. I don't rent from zune. That's just my personal preference. I don't want to buy movies in a digital format either. I'm pretty sure they take into account there are people on all sides.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Yrd is offline  
post #463 of 7006 Old 03-29-2011, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
alpha21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: minn
Posts: 3,887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

I'm pretty sure they take into account there are people on all sides.

... and then choose what's best for THEMSELVES

Mits-WS55413;Denon-3803;ToshibaXA1 HD-DVD;Klipsch- RF35;Samsung-TS160;SVS PB12plus/2
XBL GT - se7entee7
alpha21 is offline  
post #464 of 7006 Old 03-29-2011, 01:35 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member
 
Yrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Elkton, MD
Posts: 2,813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha21 View Post

... and then choose what's best for THEMSELVES

True, but we're the ones that buy the product.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Yrd is offline  
post #465 of 7006 Old 03-29-2011, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
alpha21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: minn
Posts: 3,887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

True, but we're the ones that buy the product.

and if you want it, you'll get it whether you can play your BD movies on it or not, and they know that

hence, why would MS want to include something that helps Sony?

*round and round we go *

Mits-WS55413;Denon-3803;ToshibaXA1 HD-DVD;Klipsch- RF35;Samsung-TS160;SVS PB12plus/2
XBL GT - se7entee7
alpha21 is offline  
post #466 of 7006 Old 03-29-2011, 01:53 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member
 
Yrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Elkton, MD
Posts: 2,813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha21 View Post

and if you want it, you'll get it whether you can play your BD movies on it or not, and they know that

hence, why would MS want to include something that helps Sony?

*round and round we go *


It's actually not that cut and dry. If they avoid blu ray, it comes down to price and tech specs and what the competition is providing. I'm not as hardcore "gotta have it" as I once was. I used to pay full price on games on day 1. I don't do that anymore. Most of the people that buy xbox on day one are (or were) people like me. People that have grown up through the gaming heyday, people that aren't as wanton with their cash as they may have been in the past.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Yrd is offline  
post #467 of 7006 Old 03-29-2011, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
alpha21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: minn
Posts: 3,887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha21 View Post

yep Max Power is like my third fav episode, so many good lines

Marge: But I fell in love with Homer Simpson! I don't want to
snuggle with "Max Power"!
Homer: Nobody snuggles with Max Power. You strap yourself in and
feel the "G"s!
Marge: Oh, Lord.
Homer: And it doesn't stop in the bedroom. Oh, no. I'm taking
charge! Kids, there's three ways to do things. The right
way, the wrong way, and the Max Power way!
Bart: Isn't that the wrong way?
Homer: Yeah, but faster!



my fav episode is the Hank Scorpio one

Hank: Uh, hi, Homer. What can I do for you?
Homer: Sir, I need to know where I can get some business hammocks.
Hank: Hammocks? My goodness, what an idea. Why didn't I think of that?
Hammocks! Homer, there's four places. There's the Hammock Hut,
that's on third.
Homer: Uh-huh.
Hank: There's Hammocks-R-Us, that's on third too. You got
Put-Your-Butt-There?

Homer: Mm-Hmm.
Hank: That's on third. Swing Low, Sweet Chariot... Matter of fact,
they're all in the same complex; it's the hammock complex on
third.
Homer: Oh, the hammock district.
Hank: That's right.


ok, I'm done now lol

ok, I lied
one more before I leave work, go home, and play video games, because I can't watch a BD instead

from the Tomacco episode


Farmer 1: Well, well. Look at the city slicker pulling up in
his fancy German car.
Homer: This car was made in Guatemala.
Farmer 2: Well, pardon us, Mr. Gucci loafers.
Homer: I bought these shoes from a hobo.
Farmer 1: Well la-de-da, Mr. Park Avenue manicure.
Homer: I'm sorry, I believe in good grooming.


Glove Slap! Baby Glove Slap!!

Mits-WS55413;Denon-3803;ToshibaXA1 HD-DVD;Klipsch- RF35;Samsung-TS160;SVS PB12plus/2
XBL GT - se7entee7
alpha21 is offline  
post #468 of 7006 Old 03-29-2011, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bbexperience's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jackson, MI
Posts: 2,667
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha21 View Post

I'm not talking about movie studios

if you want an HD movie, you have two choices, BD or Zune
which one does MS want you to buy?

by having DVD, the 360 is helping the DVD forum, which is good for basically everyone. by selling more BD, that is not good for everyone, and therefor even less good for MS.

all I was saying is that I never said "Sony created it" (though I may have meant it) and never said "royalties"

Zune HD quality sucks, especially for those of us that don't have great internet speed. So by including blu-ray they're marketing it as an added feature/convenience to 1.)Those that have crap internet and so they CAN'T watch streaming HD, or it takes forever to download and 2.)Those that want quality picture and sound. Maybe they'll decide that those 2 segments of the console buying population don't matter to them, but I would think not as it's a significant number.

I said this pages and pages ago, but you've got to think outside just the "moms" buying consoles for their kids (even though I wholeheartedly agree with Antiochus' scenario earlier). The average person wants LESS equipment on their TV stand, not more. So while they may have a blu-ray player or could buy one for $50 they may choose the all-in-one solution for convenience. Many people have a second TV in a bedroom or something that they could connect a blu-ray player to if they already had one. The other possible scenario is someone who's either downsizing or going to college or somewhere where they NEED fewer components. An all-in-one solution is ideal for them as well.

Someone (sorry, don't remember who it was) said that the proposed conversation, and by proxy, the points I'm making are moot because there won't be competition when those buyers are out there. I disagree. The 360 sold 5.93 million units its first year. It's sold 52.65 million units in total. That leaves 46.73 million units that were sold during a period of active competition. That's a lot of potential customers comparing boxes.

Read. Think. Post. In that order, preferably

"If the Playstation and Xbox are like the Bloods and the Crips, then the Wii is whatever gang Sha Na Na was in" - Christian Finnegan
bbexperience is offline  
post #469 of 7006 Old 03-29-2011, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gameboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,780
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

Yes they want to sell Zune movies, but they also want to sell a system to someone like me that wants the blu ray drive too. I don't rent from zune. That's just my personal preference. I don't want to buy movies in a digital format either. I'm pretty sure they take into account there are people on all sides.

Microsoft does not care about how you are going to watch your movie if it is not through Zune or other Microsoft related services. Microsoft does not get any revenue from BR and it costs them plenty in royalties.

BR is just not in the cards, it doesn't matter how much you beg for it.
gameboy is offline  
post #470 of 7006 Old 03-29-2011, 03:42 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member
 
Yrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Elkton, MD
Posts: 2,813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameboy View Post

Microsoft does not care about how you are going to watch your movie if it is not through Zune or other Microsoft related services. Microsoft does not get any revenue from BR and it costs them plenty in royalties.

BR is just not in the cards, it doesn't matter how much you beg for it.


So then they also have no reason to license a DVD player. I see where you're going with it...

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Yrd is offline  
post #471 of 7006 Old 03-29-2011, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bbexperience's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jackson, MI
Posts: 2,667
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameboy View Post

Microsoft does not care about how you are going to watch your movie if it is not through Zune or other Microsoft related services. Microsoft does not get any revenue from BR and it costs them plenty in royalties.

BR is just not in the cards, it doesn't matter how much you beg for it.

There you go spouting off agian, like you have any kind of inside knowledge. First, I don't think anyone here is "begging" for blu-ray. I have 4 blu-ray players already (including a PS3), I don't need another one. I'll buy a new Xbox whether it's got blu-ray or some other high-capacity disc format. But I like the xbox and I want it to do well, and I think there will be people who will buy one not just because it can play blu-rays, but rather because they will have 2 systems with the same feature set and they'll need to make a choice. Call it a bonus feature if you want.

It's my opinion (and I think others here) that they would get revenue, indirectly, from having blu-ray. They don't care if you buy blu-ray movies, except for some ridiculous pissing contest with Sun. Zune is not the direct competitor with blu-ray that some of you are touting it to be. I'd say Zune and Netflix are closer competitors and the 360 supports both. What does that tell you? And as far as the fees go - according to the chart that was linked here earlier, they're minuscule. They'd make those fees up with the sale of one game or accessory.

Notice, gameboy, that I'm not saying the next Xbox WILL have a blu-ray. I don't know. It's just my opinion. You might want to take a lesson in that. You don't know either. You have a different opinion, which is fine, but start phrasing it that way.

Read. Think. Post. In that order, preferably

"If the Playstation and Xbox are like the Bloods and the Crips, then the Wii is whatever gang Sha Na Na was in" - Christian Finnegan
bbexperience is offline  
post #472 of 7006 Old 03-29-2011, 04:45 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member
 
Yrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Elkton, MD
Posts: 2,813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbexperience View Post

There you go spouting off agian, like you have any kind of inside knowledge. First, I don't think anyone here is "begging" for blu-ray. I have 4 blu-ray players already (including a PS3), I don't need another one. I'll buy a new Xbox whether it's got blu-ray or some other high-capacity disc format. But I like the xbox and I want it to do well, and I think there will be people who will buy one not just because it can play blu-rays, but rather because they will have 2 systems with the same feature set and they'll need to make a choice. Call it a bonus feature if you want.

It's my opinion (and I think others here) that they would get revenue, indirectly, from having blu-ray. They don't care if you buy blu-ray movies, except for some ridiculous pissing contest with Sun. Zune is not the direct competitor with blu-ray that some of you are touting it to be. I'd say Zune and Netflix are closer competitors and the 360 supports both. What does that tell you? And as far as the fees go - according to the chart that was linked here earlier, they're minuscule. They'd make those fees up with the sale of one game or accessory.

Notice, gameboy, that I'm not saying the next Xbox WILL have a blu-ray. I don't know. It's just my opinion. You might want to take a lesson in that. You don't know either. You have a different opinion, which is fine, but start phrasing it that way.


Well said.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Yrd is offline  
post #473 of 7006 Old 03-29-2011, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gameboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,780
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
bb, it is not your opinion, it is what you hope. Next Xbox will not have BR, period. And that has nothing to do with what I want or what my opinion is.

It is not an opinion because it is like saying a pot full of water sitting on top of the fire is going to boil. You may say that that is my opinion, but it isn't. It is really stating a fact. It is only a matter of time.

BTW, if you think $5 to $10 per EVERY system sold is "miniscule" and is something that Microsoft will readily take on, you really have no clue how Microsoft works.
gameboy is offline  
post #474 of 7006 Old 03-29-2011, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bbexperience's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jackson, MI
Posts: 2,667
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameboy View Post

bb, it is not your opinion, it is what you hope.

First off, thanks for clarifying what my hopes and dreams are. You're a regular telepathic wonder. Are you available for birthday parties?

Secondly, I HOPE Microsoft does well in their next generation, whichever media they choose to use. It's my OPINION that that media will be blu-ray. See the difference there?

Quote:
Next Xbox will not have BR, period. And that has nothing to do with what I want or what my opinion is.

It is not an opinion because it is like saying a pot full of water sitting on top of the fire is going to boil. You may say that that is my opinion, but it isn't. It is really stating a fact. It is only a matter if time.

Wrong again. It's not "fact" until Microsoft comes out with a press release or CES announcement or whatever. Then it will be set in stone as a fact. Until then, you don't know. It seems to most reasonable people that there's at least a chance that there will be blu-ray in the next Xbox. I happen to think it's a pretty good chance. (hint: that's an opinion again). After reading through some of the stuff barrelbelly posted, I think there's a chance they go with their HDDVD format. And of course either one would be supplemented by an online distribution system.

Look, for the millionth time, you might end up being right. That doesn't mean it's a fact now. I'm not sure why that's so hard for you to grasp. I'm starting to think you truly believe that just because you say it, it makes it true. I'm pretty sure there's a psych term for that...

Anyway, I honestly don't know why I even continue to read your posts. I'm a glutton for punishment I guess.

Read. Think. Post. In that order, preferably

"If the Playstation and Xbox are like the Bloods and the Crips, then the Wii is whatever gang Sha Na Na was in" - Christian Finnegan
bbexperience is offline  
post #475 of 7006 Old 03-30-2011, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dragonyeuw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 49
All of this bickering over this issue is really pissing up a tree. No-one has a clue what MS is going to do, except MS. The funny thing is, it's not likely the inclusion( or exclusion) of a BR drive in the next xbox will impact any of our decisions to buy it. Because it's safe to assume many on this forum already have BR or will have it by 2015, and really won't give two $hits one way or the other....And those who by 2015 may be interested in Blu-ray but not particularly in buying a game console, will probably buy a $50 player off the Walmart rack.

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

dragonyeuw is offline  
post #476 of 7006 Old 03-30-2011, 06:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Daekwan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 10,260
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 333
On another note..

Appears the next Nintendo console wont have 3D:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/30/n...bly-wont-be-3/

Goodbye gimmicks.

Xbox Live & PSN gamertag- Daekwan
www.facebook.com/Daekwan
Daekwan is offline  
post #477 of 7006 Old 03-30-2011, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dragonyeuw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

On another note..

Appears the next Nintendo console wont have 3D:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/30/n...bly-wont-be-3/

Goodbye gimmicks.

Be curious as to what Nintendo will have as their 'hook' for the Wii Successor. Motion-based gameplay? Old hat now. HD? Well it was proven with this generation that a number of their customers aren't terribly concerned with snazzy graphics.

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

dragonyeuw is offline  
post #478 of 7006 Old 03-30-2011, 06:51 AM
Member
 
Antiochus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 168
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

All of this bickering over this issue is really pissing up a tree. No-one has a clue what MS is going to do, except MS. The funny thing is, it's not likely the inclusion( or exclusion) of a BR drive in the next xbox will impact any of our decisions to buy it. Because it's safe to assume many on this forum already have BR or will have it by 2015, and really won't give two $hits one way or the other....And those who by 2015 may be interested in Blu-ray but not particularly in buying a game console, will probably buy a $50 player off the Walmart rack.

As long as it has some sort of physical media, I'll buy one.
Antiochus is offline  
post #479 of 7006 Old 03-30-2011, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
garciab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Princeton, TX - USA
Posts: 1,033
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Hear, hear...or is it here, here?...or is it hear, here?...or is it here, hear?...Anyway, that's my only requirement: physical media.

bg
garciab is offline  
post #480 of 7006 Old 03-30-2011, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dragonyeuw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 49
We haven't reached a point yet where we can have an all DD game service for 30gb( and higher) games. Can you imagine the strain on servers when Halo or Call of Duty launches and a million people try to download it at once upon launch? We're not at that point yet.

And we want to talk about pissing off consumers for not including Blu-ray? You'll alienate a far larger segment of the gaming population if you outright take away physical media. I think offering media, physical and digital, has to be the way going forward.

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

dragonyeuw is offline  
Closed Thread Xbox Area

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off